Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Pirates Offseason Thread

Okay all you PIRATES FANS.... this forum is absolutely-DEAD and its time to WAKEUP!!

Let's talk Pirate Baseball!

How about offseason moves... who are we adding/extending or better yet releasing etc...?

Are there any low-risk, under-the-radar moves we could make that will improve our team this offseason??

Let's hear it!!

We should pick up

we should pick up braden looper SP for Cardinals last yr.
    Also I think since we will be trading Jack Wilson and Freddy Sanchez, we should pick up Nick Punto from the Twins he is the ultimate utility man.
    Plus, I think we should try and pick up Hank Blaylock to play thrid.
    Last but certaintly not least lets trade Adam Laroche, Gorzo, and Zake Duke to the Brewers for Prince Fielder. Fielder is sick, much better than Laroche, Duke is washed up at 25. Gorzo might pan out but oh well if we get Fielder.
    But none of this will happen because the Nuttings Suck. So, we will see hopefully Mientkiewicz come back and if that happens just start him at third.
    Here we go Steelers.

Lets go Pens.

Lets go Bucs. in the year 2012. Maybe.

Well, if only we had a rich owner who would put the money back into the team..then maybe we could compete with the rest eh!? Just how much is our current ownership willing to spend?? Where's Cuban when you need him..

Good stuff though steelers!..good ideas-especially the Fielder one! We need some more life on this team! At least we have Nate so its not all lost completely...

As far as pitching goes, how about Jeremy Affelt or Pedro for veteran presence? If that doesn't work theres always your last resort list like Jamie Moyer and Paul Byrd lol....or maybe we could get Kei Igawa from the Yanks?

Jack Wilson is pretty much a goners... like your idea of Punto! A lot of other teams like him too though and teams with much more cash than we have!

As for the rest of the outfield...don't really know but I would love to see Rocco Baldelli -he could thrive here in Pit!

In the infield, there are a few vets we could look to sign if we don't trade or promote from within. There is Orlando Cabrera/Edgar Renteria for shortstop and Felipe Lopez for 3B if the Punto idea doesnt work..

Go BUCS!!!

dude nick punto is awesome, i used to watch him play in the minors. he was a fast son of a gun. as for the prince fielder, never going to happen[ we in the same division, and we don't have enough pitching prospects.]

Quote Originally Posted by pittspens71 View Post
    dude nick punto is awesome, i used to watch him play in the minors. he was a fast son of a gun. as for the prince fielder, never going to happen[ we in the same division, and we don't have enough pitching prospects.]
    So who else do you recommend? Is there anyone else you think we will end up with??

Fielder

Dude, the Nuttings need to do something to keep fans coming, Fielder is that attraction, he would hit 8 home runs into the river at least. I agree that this trade is a little thin but I think if you through in Chris Duffy and another pitching prospect and they through in some scraps that this deal could be done and for the sake of the Pirates it should be done. But since it wont I'll tell you who they should try and sign the Dodgers just declined Brad Penny's option, they should try and sign him. He's a horse. They got to sign someone this offseason at least to raise there payroll to a respectable 40 mil.? I think if we through Laroche duffy gorzo and duke plus a prospect for Fielder the brewers would have to take that they aren't going to sign him. That trade should only happen though if the Pirates decide to do the right thing and sign Prince to a long term deal. Which will never happen so why do we care. I don't think I am going to buy my 20 game plan this year. I'd rather go watch the Washington Wild Things at this point.

pedro, rocco

I think it would be great to see Pedro but he wont sign here at this stage of his career. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't go to the Yankees. Rocco is awesome but never happen because the Pirates are to sured up in the outfield if he could play third I'd take him in a heart beat. If I were running the team I would start this lineup next year.

1.Nyjer Morgan
    2.Andrew McCutchen
    3.Nate McClouth
    4.Ryan Doumit
    5.Adam Laroche
    6.Pedro Alverez
    7.Freddy Sanchez
    8.Jack Wilson

As of right now at least.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersigf03 View Post
    we should pick up braden looper SP for Cardinals last yr.
    Also I think since we will be trading Jack Wilson and Freddy Sanchez, we should pick up Nick Punto from the Twins he is the ultimate utility man.
    Plus, I think we should try and pick up Hank Blaylock to play thrid.
    Last but certaintly not least lets trade Adam Laroche, Gorzo, and Zake Duke to the Brewers for Prince Fielder. Fielder is sick, much better than Laroche, Duke is washed up at 25. Gorzo might pan out but oh well if we get Fielder.
    But none of this will happen because the Nuttings Suck. So, we will see hopefully Mientkiewicz come back and if that happens just start him at third.
    Here we go Steelers.

Lets go Pens.

Lets go Bucs. in the year 2012. Maybe.
    If the Pirates gave him the starting Short Stop job I really don't think it would cost you guys too much. Probably no more than a couple million. I want him back with the twins, but not as a starter. I really think he'd be a good fit with a young rebuilding team. Look at what the Rays did this year, anything is possible, and one of the things they focused on was defense, they had Bartlett be their shortstop and he didn't hit that much,probably about as much as Punto, but he stabilized the position.

prince fielder won't be traded to the pirates. duffy is injury prone, duke no one can figure out, gorzo he was injured this year[ is it long term idk] laroache is overrated and overpaid. the pirates only good and sure thing prospects r andrew m, jose tabata, and pedro alvarez. it will take at least two of them for milwalke to even consider it.

i like the brad penny deal though. i wish they had the money to buy jon garland. nick punto would be a great fit. i say take a chance on carl pavono, maybe even mark prior. i haven't made my offseaon perdictions yet. i will in a couple of weeks, once we know who is a free agent.

I don't want to bring in any more veterans in free agency. The last think we need is another half-baked rebuilding scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by NYMetros View Post
    I don't want to bring in any more veterans in free agency. The last think we need is another half-baked rebuilding scheme.
    If we dont no one will go to the games as it should be. The fans should make a stand.

We need some veterans to attract us to the game and give us hope. Hell then trade them away to add on to the future like always.

Quote Originally Posted by SenecaValley46 View Post
    If we dont no one will go to the games as it should be. The fans should make a stand.

We need some veterans to attract us to the game and give us hope. Hell then trade them away to add on to the future like always.
    Look at the Rays. They did it the right way. They drafted well with their extremely high draft picks and then brought in good Free Agents to put around their young talent.

What we need is the right owner. If we had the owner that was willing to try and put the bucs in a winning situation then we could talk a whole new ballgame via free agency and the like... but without someone like that it'll be like groundhog day and every year is a rebuilding year here in Pittsburgh!

There are some guys out there via free agency this year that we could try and you guys have a lot of great ideas but what do you think will happen? Will our management sit back and remain status quo again or will they be more aggressive and try to compete for some of the bigger names?? I would hope that we do go after some of these guys and not just settle for sloppy seconds or the occassional non-roster invitee..

What do you think?

you guys should buy some wins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast