Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Clippers Trying to Build Chemistry on the Fly

Ah the Los Angeles Clippers. The organization was truly optimistic after a tumulus but productive summer. True they lost forward Elton Brand, but management was very pleased with the roster they put together in the offseason.

Unfortunately early injuries and a brutal schedule have left the Clippers 0-4 with the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and Dallas Mavericks on tap. Point guard Baron Davis struggled with his hip and finger. Forward/center Marcus Camby had the flu and then a bad heel. Forward Tim Thomas missed most of the preseason with a strained groin.

Drawing the Lakers and the Utah Jazz twice in their first five games, two teams projected to finish on top of their respective divisions, has made for a very challenging start.

"You hate losing but if we'd been playing these games . . . and all our guys were playing right now . . . then I'd really be discouraged," said Coach Mike Dunleavy before dropping their fourth of the season at home to the Jazz. "I'm not discouraged now; I'm just disappointed that we're in this situation because we knew what the schedule was going to be like early. It's a monster schedule. The first ten games, they averaged 57 wins [last season]."

Dunleavy had humble expectations for his team in the first few weeks, even at full strength.

"Honestly we needed to have all our guys in training camp, playing and working . . . to have a chance to go .500 in [the first ten games]. That would be a home run for us," continued the Clipper coach. "After that you hope your guys jell and have a great year."

The Clippers were surprised when Baron was able to play over 32 minutes against the Jazz. He wasn't expected back until the end of the week but had asked to be on the active roster just in case he felt good enough to play.

"We showed some flashes of being able to be a good team and be a team that can compete and play some solid basketball. I just think that once we get everybody operating in the same system and thinking on one accord - then it's going to open things up for everybody to score," said Davis after the loss. "I think everybody is frustrated with themselves, as well with frustrated with trying to figure out how they fit within this team's structure."

Camby also made his debut and for stretches the team looked formidable. Marcus had three blocked shots, nine boards and seven deflections in 27 minutes.

"We still have a lot of work to do," said Camby. "The schedule is definitely not in our favor. We have heavy hitters coming into LA every other game. We just need to buckle down and find a way to get a win."

Center Chris Kaman has struggled without Davis and Camby. He had his best night against the Jazz in this young season with 19 points, 10 boards and three blocked shots - but was shooting just 31.3% from the field leading up to the game.

"It's like there's a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel with those guys coming back," said Kaman. "Everybody knows what they're all capable of doing and if we can get everything on paper on the floor to come together, I think we'll be better."

Chris quickly noticed the benefit of playing with Baron and even apologized for dropping some of the passes sent his way that he didn't expect.

"I've never had someone who just that easily puts you in a position to score the basketball," said Kaman. "It's all new and that's the main point - we're trying to get used to it all it might take some time."

Talk about learning on the fly, Dunleavy started second-round pick Mike Taylor at point guard and with minute limitations/conditioning issues to deal with, struggled to cobble together a feasible rotation.

"There was a lineup out there tonight that had never played together before from the beginning of training camp until now," said an exasperated Dunleavy after the game.

It certainly didn't help that Utah's Paul Millsap suddenly turned into Karl Malone putting in 24 points, sealing the game in the fourth quarter.

Tim Thomas was overmatched and Dunleavy waited far too long to try a different man on Millsap - even if Camby was winded, he couldn't have struggled more than Thomas defensively.

Another disappointment so far has been the contribution of guard/forward Ricky Davis who has been all but invisible.

"The first place you need to start is rebounding and defending. You want to get big playing time? Go out there and lock somebody down and rebound - get defections - that's kind of where it all starts and then let your offense take care of itself," said Dunleavy of Davis. "We know he can shoot the ball but everybody has to do those other things. That's what keeps you on the floor."

The Clippers have a lot to work out and could very easily start the season 0-7. Assuming it takes about 47 wins to make the playoffs this season (last year it was 50), LA would need to go 47-28 the rest of the way. It's possible but the Clippers have quickly found themselves at a disadvantage.

"For us, the biggest factor right now is that we've had three of our top seven guys miss just about all of the preseason and we have 10 new guys on the team," explained Dunleavy. "It could take up to 20 games before you really jell. Right now we're just happy to start getting guys back and hopefully we can start showing what we can do."

The Clippers visit the Lakers on Wednesday night . . .
    -
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10478

Im okay with it.

even if we go 0-7 I'll still be here.

if we have a lottory year, we get another high draft pick, we will have a year under our belt playing together, everybody is under contract, I like our chances in 09 and if we can make a huge splash in playoffs next year, we are still in great position to make a push for a bigtime FA with all the $.

we maybe the buyer with the deepest pocket come 2010, that is what I look forward to

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by don'tfireNedCo View Post
    Im okay with it.

if we have a lottory year, we get another high draft pick, we will have a year under our belt playing together, everybody is under contract, I like our chances in 09 and if we can make a huge splash in playoffs next year, we are still in great position to make a push for a bigtime FA with all the $.

we maybe the buyer with the deepest pocket come 2010, that is what I look forward to
    with everything that you just said... although what need would we need to address in the draft? The team seems pretty set and adding another young player would be superfluous.

Im okay with it.

you know what annoys me about the clippers. theyre never horrible. I mean yes they have been but everytime we go to the draft were never in the top 3 so we get a solid nba starter but never a superstar. Like in 2003 where we got kaman 5th and i think melo went 4th. or even this year where I wanted beasley or oj mayo. The best draft we had in recent history is probably al thornton and we pretty much had to take him at 14. dont even talk about olowakandi or korolev............. speaking of draft picks... why the **** does minny hold theirs for so long ? we got cassell when 05 ? and we dont get an unprotected draft pick until 2012 wow. we get their pick this year till 2011 if they have a draft pick 12th or lower i think which i doubt will happen.

Im okay with it.

For sure!! I feel the exact same way. Just stick around guys. This may be a though year, but as long as we stick it out and keep posting we will be the pioneers of a huge bandwagon in the future! We alone on this site are creating hype for this team. Lets not let a few losses or even a tough season stop the momentum!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewexd View Post
    you know what annoys me about the clippers. theyre never horrible. I mean yes they have been but everytime we go to the draft were never in the top 3 so we get a solid nba starter but never a superstar. Like in 2003 where we got kaman 5th and i think melo went 4th. or even this year where I wanted beasley or oj mayo. The best draft we had in recent history is probably al thornton and we pretty much had to take him at 14. dont even talk about olowakandi or korolev............. speaking of draft picks... why the **** does minny hold theirs for so long ? we got cassell when 05 ? and we dont get an unprotected draft pick until 2012 wow. we get their pick this year till 2011 if they have a draft pick 12th or lower i think which i doubt will happen.
    WORD! We are always 7th-12th pick...hardly ever high lottery. When we do get the top pick it's someone like Olowakandi. I know there were a lot of great players in the draft but the only 2 worthy of the top pick at the time were Kandiman and Bibby. The year we got 2nd pick Okafur came out and we traded down and got Livingston. Why can't we get the top pick when Lebron comes out!? Or even a top 3 pick in a can't miss draft!? This will probably be another one of those years, because I think we are pretty good, but we have already seen how bad we can struggle.

The problem is, is that we never tank. We try to win every game even when the benefits of losing are 100 times more. One year we had a top 2 pick all but locked up and we won like 7 of our last 10 to move to 6th or 7th pick. I think that was the year we had Andre Miller and all our Free Agents bolted. Leaving us with no veterans on the roster and middle lottery pick to try to rebuild...again.
    Last edited by Cracka2HI!; 11-05-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Minnesota's pick is if they get 10th or lower they keep it. Also, I would rather have EJ than OJ. OJ is all hype. Plus, Thornton will be a superstar, just wait till this team gels. And also, wouldn't u rather have a top 5 pick in the 2011 draft, than the 10th pick in this years?

Clippers' savior?

^^Yes, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilla11 View Post
    with everything that you just said... although what need would we need to address in the draft? The team seems pretty set and adding another young player would be superfluous.
    draft a PF. I want to see what Mike T will be in a year before I write him off completely, and baron is there. SG-EG SF-Al T C-kaman and camby we can definitely pick up a PF and see if this young core is what's gonna take us to the next level. in 2010, I hope we pick up a PG to prepare for baron's absence if Taylor doesn't blossom. when we have solid players in every position, it makes it so much easier to pick out a FA. we are not dictated by what we need, but rather which FAs are willing to come and get the biggest fish from that pile. the last thing we need is to have a hole in PF and sign another guard, because no bigman wanted to come or vise versa. my guess is that any C/PF would want to come to a team that sports baron davis to get easy hoops from.

I posted our entire draft history in one of the old threads. its under R.I.P so you can just go on thread search and read it.

my personal favorite draft picks to hate on are

5)Byron Scott
    4)Tom chambers
    3)Joe Wolf
    2)Kandyassman
    1)Danny Ferry

I also ****ing hate terry dehere and reggie williams, but I loved ken norman, and loy vought.

ron harper and mark jackson were not drafted by us, and no feelings either way for Bo. I hated kimble when he was sucking after the draft, but he was over hyped by media especially following hank gathers' death. he is now a community organizer and a very decent human being.

draft a PF. I want to see what Mike T will be in a year before I write him off completely, and baron is there. SG-EG SF-Al T C-kaman and camby we can definitely pick up a PF and see if this young core is what's gonna take us to the next level. in 2010, I hope we pick up a PG to prepare for baron's absence if Taylor doesn't blossom. when we have solid players in every position, it makes it so much easier to pick out a FA. we are not dictated by what we need, but rather which FAs are willing to come and get the biggest fish from that pile. the last thing we need is to have a hole in PF and sign another guard, because no bigman wanted to come or vise versa. my guess is that any C/PF would want to come to a team that sports baron davis to get easy hoops from.

I posted our entire draft history in one of the old threads. its under R.I.P so you can just go on thread search and read it.

my personal favorite draft picks to hate on are

5)Byron Scott
    4)Tom chambers
    3)Joe Wolf
    2)Kandyassman
    1)Danny Ferry

I also ****ing hate terry dehere and reggie williams, but I loved ken norman, and loy vought.

ron harper and mark jackson were not drafted by us, and no feelings either way for Bo. I hated kimble when he was sucking after the draft, but he was over hyped by media especially following hank gathers' death. he is now a community organizer and a very decent human being.
    If we somehow get the first pick, then it will be between a pg and a pf so thats good. It would be ricky rubio or Blake Griffin. Also, y isn't yaroslav on ur list.

Clippers' savior?

Man, you write some long threads Poz. I'm with the Clips for life... like waiting on Obama and the election of my lifetime.... I'm waiting on a Clipper Championship. This might happen once Sterling kicks the bucket and someone else gets the reigns but I'll be waiting.