Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Nuggets present their testimony for defense

Okay, so we've been hearing a whole lot about the Nuggets' emphasis on defense in training camp. This article is basically a recap of week one. I strongly urge you to read the whole thing, as it's really pretty good.

Nuggets present their testimony for defense

The first tangible piece of evidence things might be changing for the Nuggets came Monday, the night before training camp started. A team meeting was scheduled. Defense was the topic.

The next day, coach George Karl made the words reality when he did not have his team run any offense on the first day of practice. It was all defense, all the time, which will be the theme of training camp. ...

Yet, all the coaches are asking is that the players try, and the Nuggets at least pledge to do that.

Carmelo Anthony has taken the brunt of the blame for the Nuggets' defensive woes from fans and media. He's quick to note that while he insists he will improve, the entire team needs to get better.

"It has to be a commitment," Anthony said. "Not just from me, not just from A.I., but from the other 11 players on the team. We got to come together and get on the same page and want to do it and be committed."

J.R. Smith acknowledged the Nuggets were not always sold on hard-nosed defense last season, particularly the perimeter players whom he said had a tendency to relax knowing Marcus Camby would more than likely block a shot if their man got into the lane.

But Camby is gone. What remains is a group without a bona fide shot-blocker but a team that can be more versatile in how it defends. ...
    denverpost

Much more to it. Follow the link...

From Queens to Denver...All around the world!!!
    I think the ying and yang needs to be implemented, and it needs to be balanced between offense and defense....

But i'm ethused that the nuggets have such determination !!! And I feel the nuggets will be better then last year.

Balkman will help improve your defense if he gets enough minutes.

im glad that they are doing this, we know how to do offense, lets show them that we can play d too

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub View Post
    im glad that they are doing this, we know how to do offense, lets show them that we can play d too
    yeh we know how to play offense but its mostly one on one.. we really should learn how to play half court offense aswell, useful come playoff time..

Quote Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
    Balkman will help improve your defense if he gets enough minutes.
    Yeah, I'm really looking forward to seeing him in action. Karl has spoken very highly of him (called him the "player of the day" on the first or second day of training camp practice), and he seems to be making a great overall impression on the players and organization. Great ickup!

Quote Originally Posted by COLH View Post
    yeh we know how to play offense but its mostly one on one.. we really should learn how to play half court offense aswell, useful come playoff time..
    ya, maybe the next couple practices should be a mix of D and team play.. i dont want it to be as bad as college though, no offense to the college lovers, but i cant stand it, they take forever to take a shot, AI does too but hes at least funner to watch

Well, I think it's almost a guarantee that with Nene replacing Camby we'll see a lot more halfcourt offensive sets. And imho this is a very, very, VERY good thing. A halfcourt game is absolutely critical to postseason success, even if it isn't quite as fun to watch. But how psyched should we be that when we do pull it up and don't get a shot off in the first :08, that it will be Nene down in the post rather than Camby floating at the top of the key? I think, really damn psyched.

I should add, though, that I think there's no way we don't still get out and run. I mean, come on... Melo, AI, Smitty, K (who's lost 10 pounds), Balkman, Birdman... all these guys are custom made for running the floor.

But I would say that in training camp, if there's one area offensively I'd like the team to focus on, it would be passing in general, and trying to cultivate a "pass before shooting" mentality in particular. Not to make everyone gun shy (I don't think we need to worry about that anyways ) but just to try to get at least ONE additional pass in on most offensive sets. I think our efficiency would increase a lot, if we could do it competently without turning the ball over too much.

Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    Well, I think it's almost a guarantee that with Nene replacing Camby we'll see a lot more halfcourt offensive sets. And imho this is a very, very, VERY good thing. A halfcourt game is absolutely critical to postseason success, even if it isn't quite as fun to watch. But how psyched should we be that when we do pull it up and don't get a shot off in the first :08, that it will be Nene down in the post rather than Camby floating at the top of the key? I think, really damn psyched.
    yeh man, no doubt.. Im real excited as well to see Nene play.. at least 15ppg and 9rpg would be great contribution from him. I also saw a couple Nuggets game when Atkins was playing pick and roll with Nene, they had great chemistry

I should add, though, that I think there's no way we don't still get out and run. I mean, come on... Melo, AI, Smitty, K (who's lost 10 pounds), Balkman, Birdman... all these guys are custom made for running the floor.

But I would say that in training camp, if there's one area offensively I'd like the team to focus on, it would be passing in general, and trying to cultivate a "pass before shooting" mentality in particular. Not to make everyone gun shy (I don't think we need to worry about that anyways ) but just to try to get at least ONE additional pass in on most offensive sets. I think our efficiency would increase a lot, if we could do it competently without turning the ball over too much.
    couldnt agree with you more.. yeah, atleast like 3-4 passes per posession before shooting the basketball, this then would also allow them to look for mismatches and get open looks etc.

K (who's lost 10 pounds)
    But I would say that in training camp, if there's one area offensively I'd like the team to focus on, it would be passing in general, and trying to cultivate a "pass before shooting" mentality in particular.
    Kmart is jut a freak of nature, i mean comon look at how ripped his arms are, jeez...

o yah, im not saying we shouldnt pass more, i guess i just dont want them to not take an open shot if they can, but i suppose, they are NBA players and they probably know that. If we played more offense like Detroit then Id be happy, they know how to pass and play like a true team, so ungreedy. they are like perfect role models, lol, im not even going to say anything about the spurs though, cuz i hate them but they play good O too!

well, im going to go cry now...my brewers are gone, the packers lost, and the eagles lost...its a bad day to be someone named chris :cry:, im one sad puppy, lol

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dub View Post
    Kmart is jut a freak of nature, i mean comon look at how ripped his arms are, jeez...

o yah, im not saying we shouldnt pass more, i guess i just dont want them to not take an open shot if they can, but i suppose, they are NBA players and they probably know that. If we played more offense like Detroit then Id be happy, they know how to pass and play like a true team, so ungreedy. they are like perfect role models, lol, im not even going to say anything about the spurs though, cuz i hate them but they play good O too!

well, im going to go cry now...my brewers are gone, the packers lost, and the eagles lost...its a bad day to be someone named chris :cry:, im one sad puppy, lol
    hey my names Chris! wahahahha

yay, im not alone, lol!