Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Potential Opening Night Lineup

Last nights game, with some different players in the lineup, some of the line combinations looked different than I expected. So, I started to think what Renney will go with on opening night. This is the lineup that I’d put out there, though I suspect not what Renney will come up with.

1st Line
    C – Scott Gomez
    LW – Markus Naslund
    RW – Chris Drury

2nd Line
    C – Brandon Dubinsky
    LW – Aaron Voros
    RW – Nikolai Zherdev

3rd Line
    C – Lauri Korpikoski
    LW – Nigel Dawes
    RW – Petr Prucha

4th Line
    C – Blair Betts
    LW – Dan Fritsche
    RW – Ryan Callahan

I like Callahan on the 4th line only because he’s more of a grinder and can play a more defensive style then Prucha can (since it’s the checking line). The reality though, is that I suspect Renney will put Orr in the lineup, which probably means Callahan moves up to the 3rd line and Prucha sits.

I can also see Renney swapping Voros and Dawes.

1st Defense
    Michal Rozsival
    Marc Staal

2nd Defense
    Wade Redden
    Dan Girardi

3rd Defense
    Dmitri Kalinin
    Paul Mara

Based on last nights game, I have all the pairings different than Renney. But, the main pair that I don’t like are Rozsival and Redden together. I just don’t think either plays D well enough to be paired together. So, I would split them up.

Those lines are probably pretty close but they are not blowing me away. I wish we had 1 guy we knew would get us 40 goals or 90 points.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

Unfortunately, I don't think any of these guys are going to score 40 goals.

But, we have the potential for a good balanced attack - IF the veterans play to their career norms and the young guys, like Dubinsky, Dawes, Callahan and Zherdev all improve on last years totals. If that happens, though the goals will be spreadout, we should be able to score enough goals.

Wait so Malik isn't on our team anymore or is he just sitting out? Because I don't think I heard anything about him getting traded. I think Drury is better off at 2nd line center though unfortunately I don't get to watch pre-season games since I'm Upstate, I think Gomez will lead the team in points this season.

Don't know if the Malik question was a joke or not. If not, no. He's not on the team. No way he was coming back with the constant booing. I'm not sure where he's playing this year - though I assume back in Europe.

As for Drury playing wing, I originally didn't like the move either. But, he's played well on the line with Gomez. It's seems to be working, though it's only been 3 pre-season games. And, it seems to make sense for 2 other reasons:
    1) It frees up a center spot for Korpikoski (who's looked good so far)
    2) Moves Dubinsky up to the 2nd line center, where he'll get more ice time vs. being the 3rd line center.

I dont think Malik has signed anywhere yet. Malik still has the all time NY Ranger shootout goal in my opinion. Here is a link to it.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72436036532702
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite regardless of their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful, dishonest, or an extremist type poster I may not waste my time replying to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Plains View Post
    Don't know if the Malik question was a joke or not. If not, no. He's not on the team. No way he was coming back with the constant booing. I'm not sure where he's playing this year - though I assume back in Europe.

As for Drury playing wing, I originally didn't like the move either. But, he's played well on the line with Gomez. It's seems to be working, though it's only been 3 pre-season games. And, it seems to make sense for 2 other reasons:
    1) It frees up a center spot for Korpikoski (who's looked good so far)
    2) Moves Dubinsky up to the 2nd line center, where he'll get more ice time vs. being the 3rd line center.
    It wasn't a joke I never heard anything about him not resigning,thank god he's off the team. We need a physical defensmen like Beukaboom again,I haven't seen Korpikoski play so I'll have to take your word for it, I think it's going to be a long season though since we don't have a major goal scorer on the team like Jagr or Shanny but who knows who we could get by the trade deadline to really make a run for the playoffs.

i think were going to be a very good team this year, it looks like we finally changed our powerplay mindset of, "Lets pass 900 times and never take one shot!", we looked very fluid during the preseason and even though we grossly over paid Redden, i think his quarterbacking of the power play will be evident.
    I do however think were all going to realize what a force Jagr was and how much better he made the team. I for one will miss him.
    New York Jets
    Quote Originally Posted by CousinsEvansDUO View Post
    It's not aboutwhether you actually make the shots its about how close you are to making them.

I don't think we will have a 40 goal scorer. If anybody was to come close, I would say Zherdev. But if the Naslund/Gomez/Drury line pans out, Zherdev will not score 40, I don't even think 30. But will we need a bonafide 40 goal scorer if we have 10 guys scoring 20?

Voros has no business in the top 9, let alone the top 6. He's a fourth liner.

As for Prucha... he's bound for the press box eating hot dogs and drinking beer with Rissmiller. The guy can't finish anymore. He has had a million chances to bury goals this pre-season and hasn't cashed in a single one. His one goal was due to Kalinin's shot nicking him on the way in.

Naslund - Gomez - Drury
    Dawes - Dubinsky - Zherdev
    Sjostrom/Fritsche - Korpikoski
    Voros - Betts - Orr
    Play Well... Or Play Somewhere Else

Quote Originally Posted by CurseThis View Post
    Voros has no business in the top 9, let alone the top 6. He's a fourth liner.

As for Prucha... he's bound for the press box eating hot dogs and drinking beer with Rissmiller. The guy can't finish anymore. He has had a million chances to bury goals this pre-season and hasn't cashed in a single one. His one goal was due to Kalinin's shot nicking him on the way in.

Naslund - Gomez - Drury
    Dawes - Dubinsky - Zherdev
    Sjostrom/Fritsche - Korpikoski
    Voros - Betts - Orr
    Well, Voros certainly isn't going to score 30 goals, but I think he's a better player than Sjostrom, and you have him on the 3rd line. Voros will hit, crash the net and stand in the crease much more frequently then Sjostrom will. Which will help the other guys on his line score more.

I think Sjostrom is a 4th line player at best, an upgrade over Hollweg (as we saw the end of last season), but more of a spare part.

Also, the 4th line with Voros, Betts and Orr will provide zero offense. Something that Renney wanted to improve on. If Betts and Orr are automatics on that line, we really need some type of offensive player there (though one that can check as well).

Maybe it will be Voros, but he isn't not going to help guys with stone hands score. But, he can have an impact playing with guys that have offensive ability.

Hence why they should have signed Shanny. He knew he would get a reduced role so 4th line would have been fine with him. He had hell of a shot. We could have got him for the price of Rissmiller and Voros combined.

I was just posting in another thread that Prucha will now play in front of his family and friends so Sjostrom or another player will likely be scratched.

I never understood why we signed guys like Rissmiller or Voros.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast