Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LeBron didn't deserve ROY

Ok, I'm problley gonna take alot of heat for this thread. Don't get me wrong LeBron is an absolute BEAST. He's arguably tha best player in tha game and one of my favorite players but, my argument is that he did not deserve to receive tha ROY award. long story short... 'Bron came into tha league with way to much hype he was 18 years old and people thought he was tha 2nd coming even dubed that I beleive. that's why I think he won it cuz he came into tha league with so much hype.

Carmelo deserved ROY I'll show you tha statistics...

Denver Nuggets tha year before drafting Melo, had 17 wins, 65 losses.
    Melo's Rookie year Denver won 43 games, increasing by 26 wins.
    Denver made tha playoffs.
    Melo had 0 All-stars on that Nuggets team.

Melo's stats 03-04

PPG:21.0
    BPG:0.5
    SPG:1.2
    APG:2.8
    RPG:6.1
    FT%:77.7
    3P%:32.2
    FG%:42.6

Tha Cavs were also 17-65 tha year
    LeBron's rookie year Cleveland had 37 wins, increasing by 20 wins.
    Clevland didn't make tha playoffs. (Till his 3rd year)
    Zydrunas Illgauskas made tha all-star team in tha 2002-2003 season.

LeBron's Stats 03-04 season

PPG:20.9
    BPG:0.7
    SPG:1.6
    APG:5.9
    RPG:5.5
    FT%:75.4
    3P%:29.0
    FG%:41.7

Melo beats LeBron in 5/8 statistical categories.
    Denver is 8-2 against tha Cavs since both LeBron and Melo came into tha league

Players and analysts had this to say about Melo...

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post - “It's fine because this 20-year-old is the best rookie in the NBA. That's right, if I was voting for rookie of the year right now, today, I'd cast my vote for Anthony over LeBron James and not spend a whole lot of time agonizing over the decision.”

Ron Artest, Indiana Pacers – “He’s one of the toughest guys I’ve had to guard in a long time. He’s up there with the best. I don’t think a lot of people are going to be able to stop him. He played like an All-Star.”

Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics – “It took me about eight years - three in college and five in the pros - to get to some of the things he's already doing,'' Pierce said. ``I mean, he was only a freshman in college last year - unbelievable. He's gonna be unbelievable. He's scoring 20 points a game, he has a chance of making the playoffs, and he's only a rookie. I don’t even know if he knows what he’s doing out there. But once he understands what kind of presence he can have on the court, he’ll be phenomenal.”

Marty Burns, Sports Illustrated – “LeBron James might be “The Chosen One”, but when it comes to predicting this year’s Rookie of the Year, I can’t be yellow. I’m going with ‘Melo.”

Tracy McGrady, Orlando Magic - "In my opinion its got to be Carmelo (for Rookie of the Year). I was watching him playing the Lakers and he’s just the better basketball player. Carmelo is the better basketball player, and LeBron is the better athlete. Carmelo can score in many more ways.

Of course LeBron is tha better player NOW but, in 2004, Melo was. that's all I'm sayin... Both are vert gifted athletes, I'm lovin tha Melo-LeBron rivalry, and look forward to watchin these two for tha next 10+ years. and also look forward to tha day that each have a ring.

Let me know wat you think......
    Last edited by AIMelo=KillaDUO; 09-10-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AIMelo=KillaDUO View Post
    Ok, I'm problley gonna take alot of heat for this thread. Don't get me wrong LeBron is an absolute BEAST. He's arguably tha best player in tha game and one of my favorite players but, my argument is that he did not deserve to receive tha ROY award. long story short... 'Bron came into tha league with way to much hype he was 18 years old and people thought he was tha 2nd coming even dubed that I beleive. that's why I think he won it cuz he came into tha league with so much hype.

Carmelo deserved ROY I'll show you tha statistics...

Denver Nuggets tha year before drafting Melo, had 17 wins, 65 losses.
    Melo's Rookie year Denver won 43 games, increasing by 23 wins.
    Denver made tha playoffs.
    Melo had 0 All-stars on that Nuggets team.

Melo's stats 03-04

PPG:21.0
    BPG:0.5
    SPG:1.2
    APG:2.8
    RPG:6.1
    FT%:77.7
    3P%:32.2
    FG%:42.6

Tha Cavs were also 17-65 tha year
    LeBron's rookie year Cleveland had 37 wins, increasing by 20 wins.
    Clevland didn't make tha playoffs. (Till his 3rd year)
    Zydrunas Illgauskas made tha all-star team in tha 2002-2003 season.

LeBron's Stats 03-04 season

PPG:20.9
    BPG:0.7
    SPG:1.6
    APG:5.9
    RPG:5.5
    FT%:75.4
    3P%:29.0
    FG%:41.7

Melo beats LeBron in 5/8 statistical categories.

Players and analysts had this to say about Melo...

Michael Wilbon, Washington Post - It's fine because this 20-year-old is the best rookie in the NBA. That's right, if I was voting for rookie of the year right now, today, I'd cast my vote for Anthony over LeBron James and not spend a whole lot of time agonizing over the decision.

Ron Artest, Indiana Pacers Hes one of the toughest guys Ive had to guard in a long time. Hes up there with the best. I dont think a lot of people are going to be able to stop him. He played like an All-Star.

Paul Pierce, Boston Celtics It took me about eight years - three in college and five in the pros - to get to some of the things he's already doing,'' Pierce said. ``I mean, he was only a freshman in college last year - unbelievable. He's gonna be unbelievable. He's scoring 20 points a game, he has a chance of making the playoffs, and he's only a rookie. I dont even know if he knows what hes doing out there. But once he understands what kind of presence he can have on the court, hell be phenomenal.

Marty Burns, Sports Illustrated LeBron James might be The Chosen One, but when it comes to predicting this years Rookie of the Year, I cant be yellow. Im going with Melo.

Tracy McGrady, Orlando Magic - "In my opinion its got to be Carmelo (for Rookie of the Year). I was watching him playing the Lakers and hes just the better basketball player. Carmelo is the better basketball player, and LeBron is the better athlete. Carmelo can score in many more ways.

Of course LeBron is tha better player NOW but, in 2004, Melo was. that's all I'm sayin

Let me know wat you think......

No, you have a great argument. But LeBron won the ROY before the season even started. He would have had to taken a dump on center court game 1 to lose it. That being said, the better player today is LeBron by a complete landslide.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

This was discussed many times on PTI and other shows. Lebron didn't deserve the award, but he got it anyways (it's called NBA marketing people...get with the program).

its a close comparision, the ROY couldve gone either way but like this guy above me said, it was pretty much decided before the season even started.

do you not understand James had nothing?

I'd say the decision was correct, sure Melo might have had him beaten in some categories but not by much of a deficit. Twenty points is hard for a rookie to average and Lebron also had 5.9 asissts (6 basically), so take away some of those assists and he would have easily been out scoring Carmelo. What i'm saying is his overall game was better, and yes i'm sure the hype had something to do with him winning but Lebron just flat out earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93 View Post
    do you not understand James had nothing?
    Z is better than anything that melo had
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    Z is better than anything that melo had
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by JMan17 View Post
    QFT
    ?
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

Is this post five years old? Because nobody talks about ROY when talking about either of these players anymore, and it's pretty clear who is a better player now...

I said that ITS CLEAR who tha better player is now. it's just a rant that I thought about that I talk about with my friends and such. and at that time Z was tha better than anything Melo had offensivly...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    No, you have a great argument. But LeBron won the ROY before the season even started. He would have had to taken a dump on center court game 1 to lose it. That being said, the better player today is LeBron by a complete landslide.

LOL
    LeBron takin a dooky on center court.

Lebron was a game out and the second year he lost the tiebreaker....Dont make this a Melo vs. Lebron thread cause Lebron is, was, and always will be Lightyears ahead of him

Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    ?
    QFT=quote for the truth

what you don't like me agreeing with ya?

The hype played a huge factor, but the stats are close and the race, should have been close but Lebron won it even before graduating High school.

Phoenix Suns
    Arizona State Sun Devils
    Arizona Cardinals
    Arizona Diamondbacks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast