Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Astros rotation next season

this is my ideal 1-4

Roy Oswalt
    Ben Sheets
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Brian Moehler

for #5 its a toss up between Randy Wolf and Brandon Backe. If Wolf agrees to return I'd name him the starter and possibly trade Backe or move him to the pen.

A bullpen next year of
    Valverde
    Brocail
    Byrdak
    Wright
    Geary
    Sampson
    Backe

looks pretty great on paper with what we've seen the last month or two.

thoughts?

Sheets would be a nice addition. I'd honestly try to keep Randy Wolf for next season. TRADE BACKE HE SUCKS!

Would love to keep wolf. I have always thought he was a nice pitcher. Dont knnow if we will be able to compete with the $$$ teams out there. We should be able to get at least a box of Sunflower seeds for Backe from someone out there. Or a case of baseballs. I duno that might be asking to much. Go Stros!

I think a rotation of

1) Roy Oswalt
    2) Ben Sheets
    3) Wandry Rodriguez
    4)
    5) Randy Wolf

would be solid enought o get us to the playoffs. Wandy could be the 3/4, depending on if they get another pitcher. I woud like them to add another guy along with sheets
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Hopefully if we can sign Sheets and Wolf they'd be 2 and 4 respectfully, Backes gone cuz he sucks, and when you give up 2 grand slams in one game you should'nt be allowed to pitchin the majors. so heres my rotation... hopefully
    1.Oswalt
    2.Sheets
    3.Wandy
    4.Wolf
    5.Moehler he's earned it, and he could become this years comebacker

Oswalt
    Sheets-Probably too much money
    Lowe-Would love him as a third starter
    Rodriquez
    Moehler-Deserves a chance, Backe could be here if Brian comes back to reality

Valverde
    Brocail
    Geary
    Sampson
    Brydek
    Wright
    Paulino-Hawkins would be nice to resign

Lets be realistic here. Having Rodriquez, Wolf, Moehler in the starting five scares no one except Astros fans. We need to go out and get two legit starters and resign some of our contributers.

If the Astros sign Sheets, they will lose their first round pick. Currently the Astros would have the 18th pick next year, which would not be protected. I'm not saying the Astros shouldn't sign Sheets, but we really could use that draft choice. I really do want them to sign Sheets and/or Garland.

So:
    Oswalt
    Sheets
    Garland*
    Wandy
    Backe
    Moehler

*I know Sheets and Garland wont both be signed but I like both too much not to want both. So just remove who you think, that's why there's a six man rotation.

They dont really have a big payroll, i dont see why they cant go out and get Sheets and another decent pitcher
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Quote Originally Posted by rhino17 View Post
    I think a rotation of

1) Roy Oswalt
    2) Ben Sheets
    3) Wandry Rodriguez
    4)
    5) Randy Wolf

would be solid enought o get us to the playoffs. Wandy could be the 3/4, depending on if they get another pitcher. I woud like them to add another guy along with sheets
    I can fill in the blank...... Jon Garland?

Just a thought...
    For only the second time since 2004 (05 and maybe 08) the Astros could have three SP with 1)10 wins 2) 20+Starts and 3)Below 4.00ERA. adding Sheets to this rotation makes us competitve, not great but competive/solid.
    Second thought...
    Does anyone else think Ed Wade would only aquire one new SP?
    Third Thought..
    My idea (just an idea)
    Carlos Lee to Rangers *Only team Lee would MAYBE agree to go
    Eric Hurley, Jarod Salty and another minor leaguer to Tampa
    Scott Kazmier to Houston

Quote Originally Posted by RelaxedFan View Post
    Just a thought...
    For only the second time since 2004 (05 and maybe 08) the Astros could have three SP with 1)10 wins 2) 20+Starts and 3)Below 4.00ERA. adding Sheets to this rotation makes us competitve, not great but competive/solid.
    Second thought...
    Does anyone else think Ed Wade would only aquire one new SP?
    Third Thought..
    My idea (just an idea)
    Carlos Lee to Rangers *Only team Lee would MAYBE agree to go
    Eric Hurley, Jarod Salty and another minor leaguer to Tampa
    Scott Kazmier to Houston
    Texas wouldn't do the deal because they have no need for OF, especially with Hamilton, Murphy, Byrd, Boggs,Cruz and now Mayberry all vying for AB's in the OF net year. Add to that Texas would just do that deal with TB because they need pitching, why include Hou?

TB wouldn't do that deal, not enough for Kazmier,and they dont need C or Major league ready SP.

Add to that why solve one hole by opening another?

I dont see how moving Carlos would be a good idea. We already have a hole in CF with Bourn playing, now you want to add another by losing Lee? I know the team has won since he went down, but do you think that Wigginton is going to keep this hot streak going?

The Astros can do one of two things.

They can

1) Have a firesale, start restocking the minor league system and try to build a winner

or

2) They can go after some starting pitching and make a run with the team they have in place right now.

Go after Sheets. He's the best pitcher thats going to be a FA that they would have a shot at signing. If they lose their first round pick, so be it. The farm system is in shambles right now anyway, one pick is going to make or break it.

After sheets, find somebody that can eat innings to fill in the rotation. Cut ties with Backe, let him go someplace else, anywhere but here. Wolf is a great candidate for the 5 spot in the rotation if they can keep him. He eats innings and for his career he's a .500 pitcher, which is a good way to round out a rotation. He's also another lefty which is something I like about him.

Oswalt
    Sheets
    Wandy
    Moehler
    Wolf

That rotation would give us a chance to win now. The bullpen is solid. Not spectacular, but good enough.

After that, go out and sign either a catcher, or another solid outfielder so we dont have the liability of Bourn at the top of the lineup and they would be a team that could easily compete for the WC and possibly the division.

Looking at all the Free Agents that will be available, corner OF's are-o-plenty. Moving Lee could allow us to aquire a good arm. It's not our best option but it was just a thought. I choose Kazmier because he is a Houston native and Tampa is not known for resigning Free Agents.
    Sheets is a good #2.

Quote Originally Posted by RelaxedFan View Post
    Looking at all the Free Agents that will be available, corner OF's are-o-plenty. Moving Lee could allow us to aquire a good arm. It's not our best option but it was just a thought. I choose Kazmier because he is a Houston native and Tampa is not known for resigning Free Agents.
    Sheets is a good #2.
    I think a better option would be to sign another corner outfielder, and move Pence back to center. He's already shown that he can play the position, he's got plenty of speed and his instincts are amazing.

You just have to look past what Lee does numbers wise. He's one of the players that keeps everybody smiling and positive. Thats something that I like about him and Miggy. I just dont see moving him as a benefit but thats just my opinion.

I still think the best way to at leat try to be competitive is to do some form of deal with the Yankees for Damon to play CF/OF and lead off. Hes in the last year of his deal, still has the OBP and SB that would be nice as a lead off hitter. The problem would be the lack of trading chips the Yankess would want, unless they accept this as a salary dump.

As far as pitching, let Wolfe go for the Draft pick, and sign as many mid teir non class A FA pitchers and go from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast