Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Dorsey set for the... NFL?

Joey Dorsey is 6-9 265 lbs. physical freak with Evander Holyfield’s shoulders. He was the sole enforcer on Memphis’ national runner-up squad, swallowing up virtually every rebound and tossing weak shots around the tin.

The Rockets liked Dorsey’s ridiculous athleticism (38-inch vertical) and toughness enough to trade for him despite being stacked three or four-deep already at power forward. But Joey doesn’t seem concerned about his spot on the Rockets. He can’t get his mind off of another Texas team that has inquired about his services.

At a recent workout with the Rockets, the Texans came to scout Dorsey as a potential Antonio Gates (Kent State, San Diego Chargers)/Tony Gonzalez (Cal, Kansas City Chiefs) two-sport standout.

“Football’s my passion - it’s my first love,” Dorsey told us. “They said I’ve got some of the fastest feet for a big man they’ve ever seen. I can see myself playing [defensive] end or tight end.”

Maybe Dorsey doesn’t realize that with the NFL starting in August and running through late January, it would be directly conflicting with at least two months of the Rockets’ regular season. Or maybe he’s just prepping himself for another career if things don’t work out with the NBA.

Do you think Joey Dorsey could play in the NFL? Is he a DE, a TE, or something else?
    http://dimemag.com/2008/07/joey-dors...ay-in-the-nfl/

What do you guys think of that? I'd rather he stick with us because I kind of liked the guy...
    I also wonder if this has something to do on why Joey isn't signed yet. Because I thought he had signed then I discoverd not..
    Last edited by fredv; 08-08-2008 at 01:17 PM.

If you have the chance to play in the NBA at a high level....you would be ******** to play in the NFL unless you were just a can't miss first round pick or something....because with no guarenteed contracts and the high possibility of injury.....it's just not worth it.

Houston (Acres Homes to Silverleaf), Texas
    You cant say that he is ******** for this. Just because you have millions, doesnt mean that you will be happy. Id love for him to play for Houston (Rockets that is) but if he has a chance in playing his first love (football) he should not be criticized about doing that. Especially if he hasnt even come to contract with the Rockets. Either way, Id like to see him in a Houston jersey playing his heart out.
    Houston Rockets:
    Lowry | Flynn | Dragic
    Martin | Lee | Williams | Taylor
    Budinger | Morris | Parsons
    Scola | Patterson | Motiejunas
    ??? | Hill | Thabeet

TEXANS: 9-3
    ROCKETS: ?-?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay22Redd View Post
    You cant say that he is ******** for this. Just because you have millions, doesnt mean that you will be happy. Id love for him to play for Houston (Rockets that is) but if he has a chance in playing his first love (football) he should not be criticized about doing that. Especially if he hasnt even come to contract with the Rockets. Either way, Id like to see him in a Houston jersey playing his heart out.
    Well you gotta keep in mind that Dorsey is an athlete....that is his profession....he is not a Lawyer, he is not a doctor, he is not a mechanic, and he is not skilled in anything else more than likely....the man is an athlete....and as an athlete if he was to go into uncharted waters and get hurt....without a guaranteed contract....he would be unable to excel at his profession any longer....much like all the other horror stories of NFL football players who hurt themselves without a backup plan....

But still, you cant disagree with someone wanting to do what they love for a living. Its just like you doing whatever you doing right now and someone tell you that you cant because you not guaranteed money. Thats insane.
    Houston Rockets:
    Lowry | Flynn | Dragic
    ??? | Hill | Thabeet

But still, you cant disagree with someone wanting to do what they love for a living. Its just like you doing whatever you doing right now and someone tell you that you cant because you not guaranteed money. Thats insane.
    Well i'm not his agent and have never met the guy....nor could I pick him out of a crowd of equally tall guys....but to say it is an unwise move for him to jump into a football career....which....hes not a football player....and say that hes gonna be a dime a dozen guy making minimum salary with no guarantee to make the team and have a huge risk of ruining his livelihood with an injury....I wouldn't say i'm too far off base....

Dorsey is just a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamShaker View Post
    Well i'm not his agent and have never met the guy....nor could I pick him out of a crowd of equally tall guys....but to say it is an unwise move for him to jump into a football career....which....hes not a football player....and say that hes gonna be a dime a dozen guy making minimum salary with no guarantee to make the team and have a huge risk of ruining his livelihood with an injury....I wouldn't say i'm too far off base....

How are you going to say he's not a football player!? He clearly states that football is his passion and his first love. You dont say that unless you've played the game. 6'9 265 is a good size for a football player too.
    Houston Rockets:
    Lowry | Flynn | Dragic
    ??? | Hill | Thabeet

It's called the real world. The whole "money can't buy happiness" is a little cliche and elementary. The Rockets made a commitment to him by buying the pick, he should fulfill his obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by SC1211 View Post
    It's called the real world. The whole "money can't buy happiness" is a little cliche and elementary. The Rockets made a commitment to him by buying the pick, he should fulfill his obligations.
    That will never get old because its the truth. I want Dorsey to be a Rocket before he's a Texan but you cant knock him for what he wants, especially with the Rockets taking so long to sign him and the Texans wanting to sign him right away.
    Houston Rockets:
    Lowry | Flynn | Dragic
    ??? | Hill | Thabeet

he should have played foosball for memphis

Dorsey is a men among boys

Dorsey should play for the Rockets because they drafted him, but if he wants to play football, go ahead and do what you want, no NBA contract is holding you down as of now.
    Props to pheagles 10 and phins1983