Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cavs Enter J.R. Smith Sweepstakes.

Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08...h-sweepstakes/
    Last edited by *Superman*; 08-03-2008 at 11:32 PM.

I would really like to get this guy. I am throwing away his Defense and saying he is athletic, and he has the ability to create, and finish. AS the article stated 19mpg and averaging 12.5ppg is good. Imagine him getting 30+ which could easily happen. Smith could average nearly 20ppg for us. I would be very happy if we got him, he isn't the big name we all would like to get but, he still has the potential to be a great scorer in the league.

he may not be the best defender but when he tries he can be above average. Watching in the playoffs this spring he was def up to the challenge of guarding Kobe. He didn't back down at all which is a big part of defense. Overall I think he'd be a great pick up for the right price

Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post
    Seems as if the Cavs are talking to the Nuggets for J.R. Smith. See for yourselves.

http://mvn.com/nba-cavaliers/2008/08...h-sweepstakes/
    Denver will match any offer, you guys make to him... JR is nice, and him and LeBron combo would be beastly. too bad we'll never know, cuz he's stayin in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by CHief_0_o_Wahoo View Post
    Imagine him getting 30+ which could easily happen. Smith could average nearly 20ppg for us.
    I have little doubt that on nearly any team in the league J.R. could average somewhere between 21-24 ppg as a starter (depending on how much of the scoring burden he was asked to shoulder by the team). On the Nuggets, next to Melo and AI, breaking the 20 threshold would be hard.

But I'm pretty sure AIMelo=KillaDUO's right. At least I hope so. As a Nugs fan, I'll be pissed if Denver doesn't match any offer he might sign, even if it's for a lot.

Cavs don't have a lot to offer. The only way we get this guy is through a sign and trade. Obviously Ferry knows that though, since he's reportedly talking with Denver, not JR Smith.

As some of you have stated, the only realistic way to acquire him would be via S&T.

Does anyone think they'd trade him for Anderson Varejao?

Varejao could further help to replace Marcus Camby.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiansFan337 View Post
    As some of you have stated, the only realistic way to acquire him would be via S&T.

Does anyone think they'd trade him for Anderson Varejao?

Varejao could further help to replace Marcus Camby.
    I think if the cavaliers do trade and get J.R. Smith in a side is to give up Anderson Varejao. I think it would help us but I not sure the Nuggets think it be a enough for Smith. We might have to give a second round pick for him too if the Nuggets think Anderson Varejao not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by DenButsu View Post
    I have little doubt that on nearly any team in the league J.R. could average somewhere between 21-24 ppg as a starter (depending on how much of the scoring burden he was asked to shoulder by the team). On the Nuggets, next to Melo and AI, breaking the 20 threshold would be hard.

But I'm pretty sure AIMelo=KillaDUO's right. At least I hope so. As a Nugs fan, I'll be pissed if Denver doesn't match any offer he might sign, even if it's for a lot.
    Technically there is nothing saying he can't. There really are only things saying he could. 12.5ppg in 19mpg is really good.. I was originally thinking more 15-20ppg never did I say 21-24..

i say we give up Andy and a first-rounder to acquire Smith, it'd probably be the best value we'd be able to give them do to the contract situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs_Fan24 View Post
    i say we give up Andy and a first-rounder to acquire Smith, it'd probably be the best value we'd be able to give them do to the contract situation.
    I think that we'd be willing to offer that in a trade, assuming Smith would sign a reasonable contract. He have to accept a salary similar to Andy's to make this work.

If he's not just greedy & all about the money he should realize it's worth it to take that amount (if the Nuggets would even have any interest in this trade) to come to Cleveland where he could finally reclaim a starting role for the first time since his sophomore season. And he could play alongside a guy -- LeBron James -- who would take all of the pressure off of him.

naww Andy is a bum.

Quote Originally Posted by CHief_0_o_Wahoo View Post
    I was originally thinking more 15-20ppg never did I say 21-24..
    I said 21-24. I think if he starts and plays 32-36 minutes a game, he'll meet that mark for sure next season.

Quote Originally Posted by *Superman12* View Post
    Another link i found.

hoopsworld.
    That's just typical hoopsworld regurgitation of the original story in cleveland.com. Same as you or me having read that first report and then speculating about what it means.

^Yeah...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast