Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The offense looks like 2004 all over again only earlier and

with Marmol tanking and Wood and Eyre out, there is no one to turn to in the bullpen, which has been vastly over-rated throughout the season.

Perhaps Marmol will regain some of his form, but he has a longer track record of being average than he does dominant.

Howry it seems, as it does with all relief pitchers, is in a "miss" year. I've always found it interesting that relief pitchers seem to go in cycles that constitute full seasons as opposed to stretches of them.

Wood has been fantastic and Gaudin should be pretty good. Marshall looks as though he'll do well, but Lieber hardly gets any looks and Wuertz has been awful. Cotts isn't much better.

Offensively, D Lee's numbers remain nice looking but he's had way too many non-quality at-bats in recent weeks. Combine that with Ramirez's slump and Fukudome's utter uselessness the past month and you have a situation that is very hard to overcome.

Heck, throw in Soto slowing down as well. Hopefully D Lee and Ramirez get it going sooner rather than later.

Fukudome is a head scratcher. I'm not so sure he's worth $12,000,000 per year (even though he's only getting $7,000,000 this year). At least not as of yet. He's not even close at the plate.

So, to recap, the bullpen pretty much sucks and the part that doesn't suck is hurt. Our two best offensive players are stuck and our prize free agent acquistion, a right fielder, is hitting .270 with 7 home runs and 36 RBIs.

I know it's just a rough time right now, but the bullpen issues are valid and I think Fukudome's not beyond reproach. There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.

It's just frustrating to watch the past six or seven starts by the rotation go down the drain because of the offense or bullpen.

Does anyone get the feeling that as soon as the offense gets hot, the rotation will implode - or as Ramirez and Lee get it going Theriot will go into an 0 for 50 slump?

Oh well - just venting - nothing more.

By the way, I keep hearing that Matt Kemp is available from the Dodgers. I'm not proposing any trades, but does that name pique anybody's interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.
    Yes, there is a lot of time left. Don't worry, it's one loss. Go Stros.

Our BP is not over rated, it is still a great BP. Cotts has done well this year and you give him no credit. You point out Fuku's AVG and HR's....what about OBP!?

I swear, only 1st place team's fans cry about being in first place, when 3rd and 4th placed teams fan's would be happy enough to be in first.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazm View Post
    Our BP is not over rated, it is still a great BP. Cotts has done well this year and you give him no credit. You point out Fuku's AVG and HR's....what about OBP!?
    OBP is a stat used by people with viable opinions.

YNH is this guy listed yet?
    MUST BE REAL BAD TO BRING ME BACK

This team is not 2004. You vent, yet you fail to make your comparison, which makes little sense.

The 2004 team was a bunch of thumpers who relied on the long ball to win. Don't compare this season to 2004, please. That was a race to second place; this season is a different story.

The Brewers used the Sabathia trade as a springboard to confidence and success. We've used the Harden acquisition as security to rest on our laurels.

The timing of this slump sucks with the Brewers winning and playing their best baseball, while we're simply playing our worst.

Maybe losing 1st place will wake these guys up. Maybe the injuries to key people have affected this team more than we realize.

It's hard to lose games like today given the circumstances, that's for certain.

Current State of team

D-Lee & Ramirez need to pick it up fast. I am sick of seeing Lee ground into Dbl plays & Ramirez popping. We are not going anywhere with Cedeno, Blanco & Johnson hitting bombs all by themselves. Our bench guys have done great this year but Lee & Ramirez are key to this whole thing. You cannot ask a bullpen to hold 1 run leads 3 times out of 4. Pinella needs to spark these guys before its to late.

Quote Originally Posted by BUD Bleachers View Post
    This team is not 2004. You vent, yet you fail to make your comparison, which makes little sense.

The 2004 team was a bunch of thumpers who relied on the long ball to win. Don't compare this season to 2004, please. That was a race to second place; this season is a different story.
    You sure about that??? Um...this past game, how many runs were scored by the Cubs on something other than a homerun? hmmm...zero. Yes, one game is not representative but we've not been able to string hits together and score runs in a very long time. Oh, and at this pace we'll be in a race for 3rd place soon enough.

jeez people. get off the panic button!!!! It's July!!!!!!!
    can we create a thread named "push your panic button here" so that way we can just group all these together?
    this team is FAR better than 2004's team, even though the bullpen is most definitely weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Knight View Post
    You sure about that??? Um...this past game, how many runs were scored by the Cubs on something other than a homerun? hmmm...zero. Yes, one game is not representative but we've not been able to string hits together and score runs in a very long time. Oh, and at this pace we'll be in a race for 3rd place soon enough.
    and as far as this goes?....you're taking a VERY small sample size. go back and look how many games we have only scored on homeruns...then look at how many times we've score on zero homeruns...take time to do the research and you'll see just how many games the team has WON without the benefit of a homerun.

Your post is just that, venting. Only no one really cares to hear irrational venting as much as you seem to think.
    lol nothing matters

Yeah it looks like we are doomed. It might be time for another Lou tirade... with only 2 months left in the season someone needs to light a fire.

1 more week of this baseball and we will be out of the race for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyton View Post
    with Marmol tanking and Wood and Eyre out, there is no one to turn to in the bullpen, which has been vastly over-rated throughout the season.

Perhaps Marmol will regain some of his form, but he has a longer track record of being average than he does dominant.

Howry it seems, as it does with all relief pitchers, is in a "miss" year. I've always found it interesting that relief pitchers seem to go in cycles that constitute full seasons as opposed to stretches of them.

Wood has been fantastic and Gaudin should be pretty good. Marshall looks as though he'll do well, but Lieber hardly gets any looks and Wuertz has been awful. Cotts isn't much better.

Offensively, D Lee's numbers remain nice looking but he's had way too many non-quality at-bats in recent weeks. Combine that with Ramirez's slump and Fukudome's utter uselessness the past month and you have a situation that is very hard to overcome.

Heck, throw in Soto slowing down as well. Hopefully D Lee and Ramirez get it going sooner rather than later.

Fukudome is a head scratcher. I'm not so sure he's worth $12,000,000 per year (even though he's only getting $7,000,000 this year). At least not as of yet. He's not even close at the plate.

So, to recap, the bullpen pretty much sucks and the part that doesn't suck is hurt. Our two best offensive players are stuck and our prize free agent acquistion, a right fielder, is hitting .270 with 7 home runs and 36 RBIs.

I know it's just a rough time right now, but the bullpen issues are valid and I think Fukudome's not beyond reproach. There's still 60 games to go so there's a lot of time left.

It's just frustrating to watch the past six or seven starts by the rotation go down the drain because of the offense or bullpen.

Does anyone get the feeling that as soon as the offense gets hot, the rotation will implode - or as Ramirez and Lee get it going Theriot will go into an 0 for 50 slump?

Oh well - just venting - nothing more.

By the way, I keep hearing that Matt Kemp is available from the Dodgers. I'm not proposing any trades, but does that name pique anybody's interest?
    In what is becoming my mantra today: Simmer the heck down. Seriously. The doom and gloom of a lot of cubs fans drives me nuts. A level headed approach is the way to go, or you're gonna have a heart attack or a brain aneursym pretty darn soon, son.

I get it, we didn't start the second half off as well as we wanted. Combine that with a Brewers hot streak and BAM, we don't have as big of a lead. Good news is... we have 60 GAMES LEFT! Plenty of season to go, and the law of averages does seem to rule, so most players will come back to their median (except Howry, that dude just sucks right now...).

For now, take a deep breath, grab a beer (if of legal age, I would never condone underage drinking), hang out with some friends, and enjoy the world around you. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Jimmy F*ckin Butler

By the way, i do love when people support things with quantifying stats like "doing pretty good" and "suck." It proves some very valid points. I am clearly convinced by such statements without a speck of tangible evidence.

Jimmy F*ckin Butler

Well Neal Cotts has a 2.50 ERA. I would say that is pretty good he has pitched well. Marmol has been good as of late he just walked people yesterday but his stuff got him out of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Cubs went and got a guy like Fuentes and Sherrill

Chicago Cubs
    Chicago Bulls
    Chicago Blackhawks
    Duke Blue Devils
    Minnesota Vikings
    Minnesota Twins
    Virginia Tech Hokies

Avatar is Erin Andrews and I.. if anyone wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by cubsfreak19 View Post
    Well Neal Cotts has a 2.50 ERA. I would say that is pretty good he has pitched well. Marmol has been good as of late he just walked people yesterday but his stuff got him out of it. I wouldnt be surprised if the Cubs went and got a guy like Fuentes and Sherrill
    i really doubt we get fuentes....sherrill may be likely....apparently, we need a 7th inning guy right now cuz howry is just horrific

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast