Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,116

    Future 2nd line(maybe next years)


    I was having a conversation with my friend the other day about all the Russian players the New York Rangers have in their system and on the team, with the acquisition of Nikolai Zherdev.

    Russian hockey players are always very skilled, and very fast, and always seem to be modeled off the "Russian Rocket" himself, Pavel Bure, who once played for the Rangers. Now, it's only the summer and nothing is settled yet, but how sweet would an all-Russian second line be? Think about it, the team could have a second line of:

    Nikolai Zherdev-Artem Anisimov-Alexei Cheraponov

    Zherdev was acquired in a trade with the Columbus Blue Jackets just a few weeks ago while the center, Anisimov was drafted in the second round of the 2006 draft. The only concern would be the line's right winger, Cheraponov, who may have difficulty coming over to the National Hockey League from his league in Russia.

    After a transfer agreement was reached last week, it seems that the problem is not as big as it was thought to be just last month, when TSN blasted the Rangers every opportunity they had on drafting him.

    Now this is all talk, more like wishful thinking and I may be getting ahead of myself but I hope that if we can get all three of those players in Ranger blue at training camp, that they may all click.

    All three players are fast and all can shoot the puck really well, with the playmaker being Anisimov, who has also developed defensive skills while playing for the Rangers' AHL affiliate Hartford Wolfpack.

    If the line can't be united, then this talk was just a waste. But if it can, what a scary line it could be next season for the New York Rangers.
    Want to write for Bleacher Report? We are a community of fans who write about sports. And we're growing. Click here to learn more.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...shful-thinking

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,116
    that would be a very scary line full of speed and skill. those russian kids are ridiculous.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,734
    I don't know if it would automatically scary or ridiculous. 2 of the 3 haven't proven themselves as anything in the league yet, and Zherdev's had one big year. I mean in 2 to 3 years could it be one? Maybe. But your right sometimes these fellow countrymen bond, so I've been a big fan of playing them together in any situation, you never know what you'll get. Plus our 1-2 centers are Gomez-Drury, I'm not so sure they'd switch that up to accomdate playing 3 Russians together.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39,215
    It has exciting potential but I dont see it happening next season. Cherpy may not even be here

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    I don't know if it would automatically scary or ridiculous. 2 of the 3 haven't proven themselves as anything in the league yet, and Zherdev's had one big year. I mean in 2 to 3 years could it be one? Maybe. But your right sometimes these fellow countrymen bond, so I've been a big fan of playing them together in any situation, you never know what you'll get. Plus our 1-2 centers are Gomez-Drury, I'm not so sure they'd switch that up to accomdate playing 3 Russians together.
    remember the czech line hlvack-nedved-dvorak how beast they were. but anyway with how last year was i wouldnt be suprised if drury got designated 3rd line duties or moved to the wings if/when it happens

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,116
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    It has exciting potential but I dont see it happening next season. Cherpy may not even be here
    i believe his contract w/ omsk is up after this season so next year is likely

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    39,215
    Quote Originally Posted by letsgorangers27 View Post
    remember the czech line hlvack-nedved-dvorak how beast they were. but anyway with how last year was i wouldnt be suprised if drury got designated 3rd line duties or moved to the wings if/when it happens
    In my opinion Drury is a center defensively but not a center offensively. He is not really a play maker. If I was the coach I would play him with a playmaker who can carry the rock. Drury can take the majority of draws but then go back to playing wing if need be as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    718
    That would be a scary line. that would be fun to watch. Out of the three, I would say anisimov is the most far off. If those three never clicked, a line of zherdev/gomez/cherepanov would be fun to watch too.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    406
    Why not try to sign ilya Kovalchuck next season as he'd be a free agent and prob comman as much as hossa...the rangers will have cap room next year with people leaving im sure they will have some spending money...just a thought b/c u were speaking of russian players...zherdev and kovalchuk opposite each other would be sick...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    718
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks024 View Post
    Why not try to sign ilya Kovalchuck next season as he'd be a free agent and prob comman as much as hossa...the rangers will have cap room next year with people leaving im sure they will have some spending money...just a thought b/c u were speaking of russian players...zherdev and kovalchuk opposite each other would be sick...
    They would still have to resign Zherdev, who will command between 4-5 mil. The Rangers really dont have that many guys who contracts are up after the year.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Maspeth (Queens), NY
    Posts
    29,828
    man that line would make the opposing coaches **** in their pants. i think anismov will grow into a playmaking center. i heard he has potential to play even the first line.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    34
    man....3 russians in one line? i'd do that...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,734
    Quote Originally Posted by yanks024 View Post
    Why not try to sign ilya Kovalchuck next season as he'd be a free agent and prob comman as much as hossa...the rangers will have cap room next year with people leaving im sure they will have some spending money...just a thought b/c u were speaking of russian players...zherdev and kovalchuk opposite each other would be sick...
    I think depending on how some things play out it's possible. It was my first thought (Kovalchuk) but like mess said, it's not that simple. He's right Zherdev should command a nice penny, but if we make a few things happen (maybe unload Roszival next offseason?) we could have a legitimate shot at Kovalchuk.

    Now having an established scorer in Kovalchuk, a potential first line playmaker in Anisimov and (granted he does have it) a Zherdev coming off of two productive improving seasons. Now that's a line I'd love to see as our number two. Then we can talk about moving Drury off, but I'm opposed to that as his maximum potential as a point producer will be reached there.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    406
    Quote Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
    I think depending on how some things play out it's possible. It was my first thought (Kovalchuk) but like mess said, it's not that simple. He's right Zherdev should command a nice penny, but if we make a few things happen (maybe unload Roszival next offseason?) we could have a legitimate shot at Kovalchuk.

    Now having an established scorer in Kovalchuk, a potential first line playmaker in Anisimov and (granted he does have it) a Zherdev coming off of two productive improving seasons. Now that's a line I'd love to see as our number two. Then we can talk about moving Drury off, but I'm opposed to that as his maximum potential as a point producer will be reached there.
    yea i hear wat you guys are saying but i feel zherdev will be resigned this season so he doesnt go to free agency to try to command more money...plus i feel they could try to restructure contracts of like nazlund who signed for two years an d is ageing and i still feel they may be able to make some cap room plus the cap will increase a lil more next year so it could be possible to have him in a ranger uniform plus maybe even unload rozi and have sanguinetti come into play as he will prob be ready by then. cherpanov will be cheaper as he will get his entry contract...it was just a thought though but i see where the difficulty would come into play...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    17
    The line of Zherdev Anisimov and Cheraponov will be a fast, young, skilled, energized line who the Rangers will have to give a chance. Unfortunately, like everybody has basically said, this will have to wait for the '09-'10 season. It will give Anisimov another year to come into his own and Cheraponov another year to prepare himself for the NHL. I doubt Sather and Renney want Drury on the 3rd line again either. Dru may not be a playmaker but he still proved he can score goals, and important ones at that. There are still so many options for the Rangers 2nd line. Dru will be at center and I think Dawes has enough skill to be a legitimate 2nd line scorer. We'll probably have to make one more move this offseason, and this is where we should focus that on. As much as I love prucha, there really is no room for him on the team. If we can unload his 1.5 mil (I think) contract, there may be enough cap space to pick up vermette at around 2.5-3 mil (26 yrs old, 51 pts last season). He sure can help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •