Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disparity on this board in arguments

This was a thread started over a year ago and I think it is a good time to bring it up again.

This board seems to have a lot of disparity and one of the favorite things on this board, along with the following arguments are:

- Posters who refuse to compare a white player to a black player even if their very similar (some say guys like Larry Bird and Bob Cousy would be terrible in the league nowadays because they are too slow for today's pace.)

- The percentage of posters who argue that the golden era in NBA history is when they were growing up.

- Posters who believe there are these massive differences in talent between the eras. They say one era is weaker than another because of athleticism but don't realize that sports is probably just as much mental as it is physical.

- People who don't understand pace

- When your comparing two great players (Example: Kobe and Lebron) and you mention that one player has more rings than the other.
    Another poster chimes in with "So you think Robert Horry is better than Karl Malone."

- The amount of posters who say one player is better than another and can never support it unless they use a few games.
    Last edited by JordansBulls; 07-11-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

I dont think Cousy would be terrible, but he wouldnt be a superstar either

I do find it irritating when people say players from past era's couldn't play in todays game...

i think u shuld compare by wat they did in their era b/c thats wat madde them great

Well rings do matter, but only if you're discussing player's who were the primary option/leader of the team when discussing greatness and comparing him to another player of the same stature, obviously Robert Horry should never be brought up in discussions about "The Greatest" that's just lame.

Who is Lebrpm

and can we sticky this?
    Leave me alone

Quote Originally Posted by Jambox5000 View Post
    Well rings do matter, but only if you're discussing player's who were the primary option/leader of the team when discussing greatness and comparing him to another player of the same stature, obviously Robert Horry should never be brought up in discussions about "The Greatest" that's just lame.
    Yeah but people use it all the time. My idea is that if your only argument for someone being better is because of rings then you don't really have much of an argument.
    - Michael Jordan

I think if anything todays NBA player would struggle in the NBA where everyone had fundamentals and played with heart.

I think everyone has noticed those things.. Bid deal, this thread wont stop them.

I'm sorry I grew up on the MJ era cause nothing was more golden than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JordansBulls View Post
    Yeah but people use it all the time. My idea is that if your only argument for someone being better is because of rings then you don't really have much of an argument.
    Another couple of arguments that don't hold up:

Going through entire rosters and deciding which teams are better by comparing players ... Player x > Player y.

That's not much of an argument.

Another is: 15 points > 5 rebounds

A warning sign is when anyone uses this symbol ">" in their argument. It's basically the same thing as giving an OPINION that "he's better than him" without any proof or reasoning.
    Last edited by ink; 07-11-2008 at 12:54 AM.
    If we're all such great coaches why do we recruit so hard? You need players.

~ Jack Armstrong, ECF 2016

The Golden era started with Magic/Bird and I would say it ended with the Jordan retired for the first time.

But I think we're about to enter another era of incredible basketball. I think the parity and talent level in the NBA now is leading to another "golden era" if you will.

And talent is talent, regardless of era. Your stars back then, would be stars today. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Quote Originally Posted by superkegger View Post
    The Golden era started with Magic/Bird and I would say it ended with the Jordan retired for the first time.

But I think we're about to enter another era of incredible basketball. I think the parity and talent level in the NBA now is leading to another "golden era" if you will.

And talent is talent, regardless of era. Your stars back then, would be stars today. Period.
    I bet there are a few posters on these boards who would say that the golden era were the Oscar Robertson / Bill Russell / Willis Reed years. Or at least they were the early Celtics dynasty years when Russell dominated. I think a golden era totally depends on your perspective. There are probably hundreds of posters on these boards who are too young to remember Shaq and Kobe playing on the same team.
    If we're all such great coaches why do we recruit so hard? You need players.

~ Jack Armstrong, ECF 2016

Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I bet there are a few posters on these boards who would say that the golden era were the Oscar Robertson / Bill Russell / Willis Reed years. Or at least they were the early Celtics dynasty years when Russell dominated. I think a golden era totally depends on your perspective. There are probably hundreds of posters on these boards who are too young to remember Shaq and Kobe playing on the same team.
    I only say the period I did, because before that, the NBA was in financial trouble and other leagues were legit. Bird Magic revived interest in the NBA, and Stern and his marketing elevated the NBA to new heights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Another couple of arguments that don't hold up:

Going through entire rosters and deciding which teams are better by comparing players ... Player x > Player y.

That's not much of an argument.

Another is: 15 points > 5 rebounds

A warning sign is when anyone uses this symbol ">" in their argument. It's basically the same thing as giving an OPINION that "he's better than him" without any proof or reasoning.
    - Michael Jordan

15 points > 5 rebounds

This is about the : "Who would you prefer a 20pts/10rebs or a 25pts/5rebs/5ast?" thread.

I used that reference and it's false what ink is saying.
    Here was my reasoning:
    Quote Originally Posted by Faneik View Post
    25/5/5

The 5 assists means more 10 points to the team + 5 extra scored points = 15 points

I prefer 15 pts in the scoreboard rather than 5 extra rebounds that the 20/10 guy provides...

The way I see it:
    15 pts > 5 rebs
    If you agreed with it or not, honestly I don't care, but I worked the numbers a little bit and came to my conclusion. Some other posters quoted me agreeing with my logic.

Now let's see what ink posted about the same question:
    No question, the 20/10 F/C.
    No question? Look at that poll results...
    Ohh, and btw, where was your proof/reasoning?
    Last edited by Faneik; 07-11-2008 at 08:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast