Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Regrets for Bobcats' Okafor?

You're probably as surprised as I am that Emeka Okafor turned down that $12 million-plus-per-year offer last summer. The way I hear it, Okafor was so close to accepting it he indicated to at least one teammate he would, just before the deadline for an extension. I hear the Bobcats and Okafor's representatives have had some discussions since free-agency started, but no heavy negotiations. When you're a restricted free agent, coming to an agreement often is a deliberate process.
    From Charlotte Observer

Yeah he really should have accepted that deal. It was a great deal for him last year. More than fair.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shady4u View Post
    DerekRE 3 just get the **** out. i mean no one takes you seriously and i bet im the only one with enough balls in my shorts to tell you to **** off. you're not a good poster. go **** yourself.

Sup..I'm new to the site and the forum. I'm from NC and been looking for a good place to talk Bobcats. I think Okafor made a huge mistake by no taking the deal. He's had some injuries in the past which some people forget about. Also he's pretty much maxed out as far as talent goes. It's not like we're going to see a quantum leap in his skill set in the future. Sure he may sign the one year deal and become unrestricted next year..but a lot of teams are saving most of their cap space for the big fish coming in a couple of years..i.e. Wade, Bron, Amare, Bosh etc...so he goes from looking like a good player to a B level guy compared to them...his agent should've made him sign on the dotted line..

^Welcome.
    I was pretty surprised when I heard about this too. I agree that this wasn't smart on his part he definitly passed on a fair deal.

trade okafor to the knicks we will give you a package around eddie curry.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeDelbreezy View Post
    his agent should've made him sign on the dotted line..
    I really don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I would bet it was his agent that kept him from signing it. Typically, the player just wants to get the deal done so he can sign it and forget about it. The agent is the shark trying to get every dollar he can. Okafor is a very humble and smart dude, I seriously doubt it was his own decision to turn down the offer.

You're right Padres Son about Okafor seeming like a humble smart guy. He doesn't seem like the money grubbing type at all. But I would hope he would have the balls to stand up to his agent if that were the case. One has to wonder if there is more to why he didn't accept the deal other than dollars and cents. Maybe he's as discouraged by the Bobcats front office as we fans are. Thinking on the humble/smart statement maybe he made a good decision. For some guys it really isn't all about the money. Maybe he decided he would wait a year or two and see where the Bobcats were headed before commiting long term. Truth be told MJ and Bob Johnson don't make it all that enticing to someone who would want to commit long term...having said all of that, it's easy for a "middle class worker" as myself to jump all over Okafor for not taking the money then turn around as "a fan" and bash a guy for only taking the money...I guess it's just the way fandom goes..

It's usually the agent that keeps a player from signing with a team. It's unfortunate that agents do that to players. It happened two years ago with Bonzi Wells. He rejected a 5 year $38 million contract from the Kings and ended up signing a 2 year $5 million contract. Needless to say his agent was fired.
    DerekRE 3 just get the **** out. i mean no one takes you seriously and i bet im the only one with enough balls in my shorts to tell you to **** off. you're not a good poster. go **** yourself.

Yeah, it's pretty tough to stomach when a guy turns down $12 million/yr to play basketball and you're working 40 hours a week trying to pay rent and bills. Not a great way to endear yourself to the fans.

I'm not a Bobcats fan, I'm a UConn fan and I like following the UConn guys through the NBA. It seems very out of character for Okafor to turn down a fair offer like that. I remember in college he graduated in three years (with a ridiculous GPA) and said that he planned to become a doctor after his NBA career was over. Just doesn't seem like the type of guy who would be trying to squeeze an extra few mil out of a huge contract.

Makes me think that either he's getting bad advice from his agent, or maybe he wants out of Charlotte.

Is Emeka greedy or does he just want out of Charlotte? Would he sign an offer sheet for 8-10 million with the Warriors, and more importantly, is Michael Jordan stupid enough not to match?

Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    Is Emeka greedy or does he just want out of Charlotte? Would he sign an offer sheet for 8-10 million with the Warriors, and more importantly, is Michael Jordan stupid enough not to match?
    Well, MJ has made some questionable moves. But I heard the Warriors just signed Maggette to a 5 year $50 million contract and still have to resign Biedrins and Monta. So I don't see them offering Emeka a deal.

Reports indicate the Clippers have had preliminary contact with Emeka Okafor's agent. If the Clips offer Okafor $14 mil do you guys think the Bobcats should match? In light of losing Elton Brand and also considering the the Andrew Bogut contract the Clips may very well offer Okafor that much...what do you guys think?

It depends on what Emeka is looking for. If he wants money go to LA. If he wants to be on a competitive team Stay in Charlotte. I want him to stay though, when the team is healthy we are playoff bound.

Raymond + Jason + Gerald + Emeka is a Nice Team in the East.

The Bobcats would be idiots not to match ANY offer for Emeka but then again, MJ has done crazier things...

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    The Bobcats would be idiots not to match ANY offer for Emeka but then again, MJ has done crazier things...
    I think Okafor has backed the Bobcats into a corner...earlier on in this thread, prior to the Andrew Bogut contract and the Elton Brand fiasco we were thinking Okafor may have made a mistake...now, he looks like a genius...if the Bobcats let Okafor walk they have absolutely nothing to replace him....they almost have to match any offer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast