Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will Elton Brand Pull a Boozer?

Carlos Boozer had a fantastic season for the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003-04 averaging 15.5 points and 11.4 rebounds. At the time, the Cavs had the option of keeping him under contract for $695,000 which was much less than his production said he deserved. Cleveland also had the option of allowing him to become a restricted free agent, which the organization ultimately opted to do.

This is where things started to get dicey.

The Cavaliers claimed Boozer reached a verbal agreement with the club to sign a six-year deal worth approximately $39 million. The only problem was once Boozer was officially available, his agent Rob Pelinka began receiving substantial interest from other teams around the league.

The team that showed the most interest in acquiring Boozer's services was the Utah Jazz. The Jazz signed Boozer to an offer-sheet of $70 million over six years. Already over the salary cap and armed only with the Mid-Level Exception, the Cavs decided not to match the offer.

The Cavaliers organization and the fans of Cleveland were left with a feeling of betrayal believing Boozer had given his word not to leave. However, Boozer has maintained such claims are false.

"There was no commitment," Boozer explained. "It's unfortunate how the turn of events went through the media. I'm not a guy that gives my word and takes it away. I think I've made that clear."

What we're left with four years later is still a case of he said, he said. Where does the truth really lie? No one can be totally certain.

Your friendly neighborhood columnist has had the opportunity to speak with Boozer at length on a number of occasions over the last three years and he is truly one of the real class acts in today's NBA. He's intelligent, grounded and just generally respectful of people. Hardly seems like the type to do what the Cavs claimed he did.

This information is pertinent today only because Elton Brand -- also one of the true class acts in the league -- finds himself in a similar situation right now. Brand opted out of the final year of his deal with the Clippers. About 24 hours after Brand exercised his early termination option, Baron Davis' camp announced they had come to a verbal agreement with the Los Angeles Clippers on a five-year deal reportedly worth $65 million.
    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9367

The rest of the leauge is still thanking god that lebron and boozer got seperated

^ Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by juggla53 View Post
    The rest of the leauge is still thanking god that lebron and boozer got seperated
    that would of been a crazy mix

I didn't realize Lebron and Boozer actually played a season together when Lebron was a rookie. I'm surprised they didn't make the playoffs that year. Imagine if Boozer was still on the Cavs...

Arlington, Texas - Home of the Cowboys and Rangers
    Quote Originally Posted by juggla53 View Post
    No kidding, Boozer has turned into a premiere NBA post scorer. Him with Lebron would be nasty.

I just for the first time realized he was a RFA. I always thought he just bolted.

In reality the Jazz only gave him an offer sheet, and the Cavs did not match. Those cheap bastards. I dont feel bad for them at all.

Brand is already unrestricted, it was a foolish move by the cavs not to match the jazz offer, regarldess of salary problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    i don't like girls

Brand is coming back no doubt about it. Baron Davis is confident, I'm confident. The Clippers are back in business

njnets is offline JerseyStrongBrooklynReady
    cavs fans should blame mangagement, not boozer. he got a way more attractive offer and took it. all they had to do was match it and then things would have been good. heck, they might of won a champioship last years. who knows what could of been if they (lebron and boozer) had stayed together.

I think Elton is too much of a class act to pull off a "Boozer"? And just imagine, would the combo of James and Boozer have beaten the Spurs when they were in the Finals?
    Toronto Raptors ~ Miami Heat ~ Los Angeles Lakers

~ ~

^ I hope so. In a perfect you can be a class guy and never really have it put to the test. Elton has had a price put on his "class". It's $20 million. Not something many people can pass up, reguardless of "class".

no

i think he is going to bring the same level of play maybe less then he did before injury...

Brand will come back.

Being a Kings fan, I hope to get him away from Sacramento, and as far as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast