Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KO Dice-K

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    What's the big deal? He's not the ace of our staff, nor is he expected to be. He is what he is. He's a solid number 3, and I'll take it. Considering guys like Ted Lilly are getting $40+ million for 4 years, I'll take Matsuzaka for 6 years at $50 million. He's going to give me 5 (Sometimes frustrating) innings, but in the end, he's going to give his team a chance to win.
    To me the big deal is that only going 5 innings hurts the team. He gives them a chance to win but the trust has to be left in the hands of a weak BP to finish things out. The extra innings (1 or 2 depending on how you look at it) he requires makes the weak BP even weaker. So the trade off is a chance to win one game and a weakened chance the next. Obviously an innings eater like Wake has to follow him.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    Yes. But all of Dice-K's stats are good...EXCEPT for walks. .
    Well, not exactly. It's obviously related but his k/bb (1.32) sucks as does his p/ip (18.05), and his whip (1.39) and oba (.324) leave a lot to be desired. He's also giving up many more flyball outs this year, suggesting that he's staying up in the zone far too often.

Wake has been good. But I wouldn't call him "lights out"
    What's 'lights out'? I think we reserve the term a bit too often for guys with gas like Beckett. Did you realize that Wake now has gone seven straight starts with 7+ IP, 3Er or less? That's the longest streak of any Sox pitcher since Pedro (11 straight in 2000). He has a 1.98 era and a 0.96 whip over that span. 37k/15bb (a little high but better than Dice-K!). What else does it take to be 'lights out'?

Very little. You won't get fair value for what Dice-K can bring to the table for us.

Starting pitching is very hard to find.

Dice-K is helping this team win. He can be frustrating, but overall...he's helped this team.

And he can be frustrating. But if you saw the last couple innings of his start today.....that's not someone I would just give up on.
    I think the team is helping Dice-K rather than the other way around. They have, for whatever reason, played well when he's been on the mound and he's been able to escape jams as a result. Overall (this season and last) he's not someone that gets me excited or gives me any measure of confidence.

That said, he won't be moved and it's not about talent. It's about business. There is still too much revenue from the Asian markets that's directly tied to him and the FO needs to realize a net profit on his deal and payoff the balance of their debt to buy the team. As long as he's creating cash he will stay.
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 07-03-2008 at 09:18 AM.

To me the big deal is that only going 5 innings hurts the team. He gives them a chance to win but the trust has to be left in the hands of a weak BP to finish things out. The extra innings (1 or 2 depending on how you look at it) he requires makes the weak BP even weaker. So the trade off is a chance to win one game and a weakened chance the next. Obviously an innings eater like Wake has to follow him.
    Him only going 5 in most starts would only hurt the team if he were the number 2, and everyone behind him wasn't picking up the slack. On paper, people call Matsuzaka our number 2. But, in reality, when Beckett/Wakefield/Lester are each going 6-7 innings per start, we can afford Matsuzaka doing what he continues to do: 5 IP, 1-2 ER allowed. I think we can all agree that him going 6-7 IP would be fair beneficial to the team, but it's not going to happen. So, we have to treat it the way it is; And it's really not that bad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12