Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    This is my first, and hopefully only, Francona move bashing of the season. I've tried a lot harder not to complain about his managing because I know he doesn't take the regular season too serious anymore and he's a totally different guy come playoff time. I would not take a manager in the league over him in October...

With that said, his managing the last couple days has been pretty awful. First, he continues to trot Hideki Okajima out there despite the fact that the guy has been KILLED all month. Now for tonight's game...

Why did we leave Sean Casey on the bench and let our 2 worst hitters hit with the game on the line? Casey kills left-handed pitching and J.P. Howell is just as tough on righties as he is on lefties due to his changeup. Really awful move and you could argue he's cost us 2 games in 2 days by being loyal to a fault (pitching Okajima when he's shown he doesn't belong anywhere near a close game at this point and not pinch hitting for Varitek or Lugo).

Casey vs. lefties this year: .350 in 20 AB's.
    Last year: .365 in 63 AB's.
    2006: .287 in 108 AB's.
    2005: .335 in 197 AB's.
    2004: .306 in 183 AB's.
    2003: .320 in 181 AB's.

Great move by Joe Madden to bring in Howell even when Percival wanted to still pitch. My guess is he liked the Howell/Lugo matchup a lot more than the Percival/Casey matchup and knew that Francona would leave Lugo in (as I did when it went to a commercial break--I was praying Casey had already been introduced into the game so Francona couldn't go back to Lugo like I knew he would if he could).
    Last edited by CyYoungPapelbon; 06-30-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Yeah, I was wondering why the hell Lugo, especially was up there. I'd see Tito being more loyal to Tek, even though he cant hit worth a ****. Boggles my mind why Mayor doesnt get an atbat...

Thanks BostonRichie!

THE #1 Ranked BU Hockey Terriers 23-5-4 2008-2009 Beanpot Champs

If you're going to claim that the last at bat of the game, is what cost us the game.....I think you're being a little well, moronic.

I mean....Lugo got a hold of it. Hit it right at the shortstop though.

Tek made good contact.

The offensive player that I'd blame the most on this particular day, would actually be Ellsbury. He's gotta get it going.

If I had the ability to watch the game, I'd be able to judge better

Thanks BostonRichie!

THE #1 Ranked BU Hockey Terriers 23-5-4 2008-2009 Beanpot Champs

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    If you're going to claim that the last at bat of the game, is what cost us the game.....I think you're being a little well, moronic.

I mean....Lugo got a hold of it. Hit it right at the shortstop though.

Tek made good contact.

The offensive player that I'd blame the most on this particular day, would actually be Ellsbury. He's gotta get it going.
    Obviously it wasn't the only place the game was decided (Masterson's 2 out walks also killed us, they got 3 runs off them and had another big rally that he got out of), but it was probably the biggest part of the game. We were handed a huge break by the way their stadium is set up and this game became very winnable.

Lugo hit the ball pretty hard, but it wasn't exactly smashed. Same with Varitek...hit well but a little bit off the end of the bat.

I don't have a problem with the at bats Lugo or 'Tek had, it's the whole idea of letting your two worst hitters hit with a very good hitter in Sean Casey on the bench and both the game and 1st place on the line. That's a little moronic.

The manager can't control whether his team wins at the end of the day, but he can put them in the best position possible to win it and Francona didn't do that. Even if Varitek or Lugo came through in the end, it still doesn't make them a better option to hit with the game on the line than Sean Casey.

I can already tell where this entire week is going.

Not pretty.

Yeah I was pretty pissed when Tito did not pinch hit Casey. Hopefully we can take these next two.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    I can already tell where this entire week is going.

Not pretty.
    Thank you Gcoll

Quote Originally Posted by -Lavigne43- View Post
    Thank you Gcoll
    No problem.

Even if Varitek or Lugo came through in the end, it still doesn't make them a better option to hit with the game on the line than Sean Casey.
    What are Sean Casey's numbers pinch hitting?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't today Caseys last day of his suspension? If that's the case, we can't complain that he didn't come out at the end.

Thank you Gcoll
    Says the guy who at the beginning of the game, said:

**** Great start for Masterson
    Last edited by Tragedy; 07-01-2008 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    No problem.

What are Sean Casey's numbers pinch hitting?
    in 70 AB'a as a PH he has 0 HR's, 10 RBI's, and a .257/.346/.271 line. He's not a very good PH. The OBP is ok, but nothing great at all, and Lugo's numbers this year are better then those numbers.

This was prolly Masterson's worst performance so far, but was still solid. Im really impressed by him. Something little I didnt know about him, but according to baseball-reference he was born in Jamaica, something I thought was pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't today Caseys last day of his suspension? If that's the case, we can't complain that he didn't come out at the end.

Says the guy who at the beginning of the game, said:
    I did not say I thought we were in for a disappointing game. I was pissed that Masterson left one up for Upton to hammer on the first pitch of the game.

Damnit already 1-0 Tampa!

Cora popsout

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast