Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KO Dice-K

KO Dice-K

I've had it with his 5 inning 100+ pitch starts. He is NOT going to turn things around and it is the definition of insanity to think otherwise. Other teams will give plenty for him it was only his signing bonus that was exorbitant.

And what is your alternative?

I know he can be frustrating, but the fact of the matter is...he's 9-1, with a very good ERA...and great numbers in just about every category, except for walks.

First of all W-L can be very deceptive. Wake has been lights out but his record doesn't reflect it. Second, let's see what others offer in return. Third, let's bring back Buchholz who's been doing great. Charlie Zink'll eat up innings at the very least and give the pen some rest and give 'tek another day off which he probably needs.

bottom line, probably sooner than later he's gonna lose his high trade value.

Don't give up on him quite yet. I know that we all expect him to be Cy Young caliber but we didn't sign him to a 6 year deal for nothing, we know it will take time for him to fully develop into a MLB pitcher. He will only be getting better with more time in the league, and he's already not too shaby.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingmill View Post
    First of all W-L can be very deceptive. Wake has been lights out but his record doesn't reflect it. Second, let's see what others offer in return. Third, let's bring back Buchholz who's been doing great. Charlie Zink'll eat up innings at the very least and give the pen some rest and give 'tek another day off which he probably needs.

W-L can be deceptive when looking at a pitcher's talent, but deffinitely not their team value. I would take a pitcher that can get me 25 wins even if they had an ERA of 14.59. We seem to perform well when he pitches so I can't complain. Sure he makes it harder on our bullpen but thats what long relievers are for.

First of all W-L can be very deceptive.
    Yes. But all of Dice-K's stats are good...EXCEPT for walks. .

Wake has been lights out but his record doesn't reflect it.
    Wake has been good. But I wouldn't call him "lights out"

Second, let's see what others offer in return.
    Very little. You won't get fair value for what Dice-K can bring to the table for us.

Starting pitching is very hard to find.

Third, let's bring back Buchholz who's been doing great. Charlie Zink'll eat up innings at the very least and give the pen some rest and give 'tek another day off which he probably needs.
    You'd rather have Charlie Zink in the rotation instead of Dice-K?

Dice-K is helping this team win. He can be frustrating, but overall...he's helped this team.

And he can be frustrating. But if you saw the last couple innings of his start today.....that's not someone I would just give up on.

What's the big deal? He's not the ace of our staff, nor is he expected to be. He is what he is. He's a solid number 3, and I'll take it. Considering guys like Ted Lilly are getting $40+ million for 4 years, I'll take Matsuzaka for 6 years at $50 million. He's going to give me 5 (Sometimes frustrating) innings, but in the end, he's going to give his team a chance to win.

Well he deffinitely has ace type stuff, he just doesn't use it correctly. I don't care how they pitch in Japan but you don't throw a curve or slider in a 3-2 count in MLB, batters aren't going to swing at it if its not in the strikezone and if it is they will crush it. He still has to get used to this league IMO, but he has shown a lot of flashes of brilliance.

I'm confused. On one hand he's worth a ton because starting pitching is so hard to find but on the other hand we'll get nothing in return? He is a talent but a flawed one. somebody out there's gonna think they'll be able to turn him into sandy koufax so i say rape them before his reputation falters.

Quote Originally Posted by knittingmill View Post
    I'm confused. On one hand he's worth a ton because starting pitching is so hard to find but on the other hand we'll get nothing in return? He is a talent but a flawed one. somebody out there's gonna think they'll be able to turn him into sandy koufax so i say rape them before his reputation falters.
    Your making it like his arm is going to fall off or all of a sudden he is going to blow up and become a scrub. I don't get what you are basing this off, his stat line has only gotten better since he has came into the league.

How long am I willing to say "Just wait until he gets under control".....way longer than it's taken so far.

He has it in him to be a front of the rotation starter. I'm willing to give him some time to work out some kinks. I mean.....if the bullpen holds it today, he's 10-1. Hasn't been pretty at all times, but he's been effective.

Today for example. He went 5 innings...he only gave up 2 hits. They couldn't touch him. He walked a lot of guys early, and was all over the place. But by the end of his outing, he was mowing them down. They couldn't touch him.

But, right now...if I hear Dice-K is in the 6th inning, with a no-hitter. I'd assume he got out of a couple bases loaded jams.
    Last edited by gcoll; 07-03-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tragedy View Post
    What's the big deal? He's not the ace of our staff, nor is he expected to be. He is what he is. He's a solid number 3, and I'll take it. Considering guys like Ted Lilly are getting $40+ million for 4 years, I'll take Matsuzaka for 6 years at $50 million. He's going to give me 5 (Sometimes frustrating) innings, but in the end, he's going to give his team a chance to win.

Anyways, I watch Dice K all of the time and ask what the big deal is. He is on pace for 138 IP, sure, but has a good ERA. 55 hits in 75 innings is good quality. He was on the DL, which took away some more innings from him.

Like everyone is saying, he's 27 and is a sophomore. Give him more than 1.25 seasons before putting the judge and jury out on this one.

DiceK is painful to watch because of his control issues..

but he keeps the runs down.. he gives you a chance to win everytime he's on the mound.. that's not his problem if you don't win them.
    oh my god! did you hear? Alex Rodriguez left a floater and didn't do a double flush!!! someone alert the media this must be news!

He to me is a regular season pitcher that's his flaw. You can't go 5-6 innings 100-120 pitches in the playoffs and win.
    Your BP will get seriously taxed. He is not going to be traded. He for me is a sissy he hates to use the FB because he's been stung by the HR. He nibbles and nibbles which leads to a lot of pitches , high walk totals. On the flip side he keeps you in games.

I would love to see him stop nibbling start saying beat me if you can! Lester did it .....his pitch total went down. You will have a bad outing here and there , but you will get into 7-8th innings easier.

He would learn more too. His control is just horrendous at times because he doesn't bend when he throws he is upright. Not much you can do ......

I say let him throw 120-140 pitches and see what happens.

i find the asian players to be inflexible. the way they come over is the way they stay. he's no sophomore he's a veteran. why isn't he doing what lester did? must i mention byung hyun kim?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast