Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Paul Janish

Paul Janish

Any idea if he sticks around? Hairston seems to have taken over SS . Think he gets sent down ? He hasn't shown any power and hasn't stolen any bases. He makes contact striking out only about 20% of the time.

He has potential.... but i dont think it is his time. I dont see him sent down unless we trade for one, or one of our 2 SS get ready to play again.

He was sent down today to make room for Hairston.

From what I have seen from the kid he can be a defensive replacement MI type on the 25 man roster.

I think that he may have a bit of a hitch in his swing which might be causing him a lack of power. If you watch him swing he seems to be late quite often on the fastball, and his swing is almost a 2-3 part swing. I can't say for sure but I thought I noticed it just recently so didn't get to analyze it much.

But all in all his upside is quite limited because he has little offensive "talent" if you will. He doesn't have above avg speed or power. So in order to be effective he must be well disciplined (which he isn't bad at) and must make good contact (he does ok here). He does an adequate job of doing the little things like bunting, hitting behind the runner etc. So if he can create a little more power (get stronger) or bat speed (fix his hitch) he has a chance to be a solid starter on a team where he is the #7 or 8 hitter.

His defense is suitable enough his rang is slightly above avg, his arm is strong and fairly accurate and he has solid hands. And the kid is intelligent and obviously a hard worker due to the fact that he even made it to the bigs without a substantial offensive skill.

But if you are looking for an above avg SS we don't currently have one except maybe (a big maybe) Zach Cozart at Dayton. Of course he could end up being alot like Janish (so far very close comparisons) as well but he has started to show some pop recently. But he is at least 3 years away minimum and already 22 years old.

I dont think he was seeing the ball very good. He checked swung on every ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    I dont think he was seeing the ball very good. He checked swung on every ball.
    I disagree he made an awful lot of contact for possibly having problems seeing the ball.