Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

08/09 General Euro Basketball News, Rumors and Discussion

the Season is coming to an end, but there are rumors starting to brew about signings for next season....

Quote Originally Posted by some forum
    Krepsinis.net reports that Žalgiris's potential news investors MG Baltic are looking at the contracts of Lithuanin players playing abroad. They are negotiating Robertas Javtokas whose contract runs out this summer. It would really good to see more money invested in the club.

What other players they might be looking at? Jasaitis, Seibutis, Kavaliauskas, Klimavicius? They obviously can't afford to sign stars like Šiška or Macas.
    arlubas has reported that Jeremiah Massey may be going to Real Madrid

Maccabi Tel Aviv are interested in Hollis Price as a possible replacement for Vonteego Cummings.

Dejan Milojevic is attracting interest of Russian, Ukrainian and Lithuanian clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by the same forum
    TAU and Valencia are interested in former Olympiakos player, Marc Jackson.

TAU is also looking to recruit a player from the Greek A1, from a team that has been knocked out of the play-offs, especially a guard to fill for Planinic and Rakocevic.

Aris' Greek SG Eliades' names has come up...

On other news Gershon confirmed that he has plenty of offers in his hands but ruled out Russia and Israel as his next career stop. He will probably sign with a team from Spain, Italy or France.
    as reported on "ONE - Israel's Top Sports Portal" and "Sport5", Sharon Druker and David Blatt are the main candinates to replace Zvika Sherf.

Source: EuroBasket
    It seems that one of the key players of Spanish team Pamesa Valencia, Dejan Milojevic (200-F-77, agency: Beo Basket), most probably will continue his career in one of Eastern countries. Some of the best teams from Lithaunia, Ukraine and Russia showed serious interest for Milojevic's service.

The player has an additional optional year in contract with Pamesa, but it s already unofficially announced that he will leave the club despite very good second part of the season in Spanish ACB league. During his career Milojevic won many titles with Buducnost Podrogica and Partizan Belgrade. He also received enormous number of awards in Euroleague, Serbia and Montenegro and Adriatic league since 2000. Milojevic is member of Pamesa Valencia since sumer 2006.

TAU Ceramica and Pamesa are both interested in Marc Jackson who was released by Olympiacos earlier this season. Panagiotis Yannakis did not like the attitude of the player and let him go. TAU Ceramica is looking for a player to help them in ACB playoffs.

Marc Jackson averaged 15.1 points and 6 rebounds per game in 20 Euroleague matches.

There are also rumours that TAU Ceramica is keeping an eye on another Greek A1 player. Savvas Iliadis of Aris is thought to be one of the main names that the club is interested in.

according to Sport5 (May 11th), Malaga are talking to Garbajosa about leaving the NBA. the team is hoping that since he barely got to play, he will consider it even more... theyre giving him until June to give them an answer

I doubt that will happen^,he was playing 28.5 mpg in the 2006-2007 season,but last year he missed almost all of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by StopBanningMe View Post
    I doubt that will happen.
    ditto, just thought it was an interesting rumor

I had read somewhere that Jeremiah Massey might be close to signing with CSKA Moscow, as oppose being already signed with Real Madrid.... but we wont know for sure until later

EDIT: and other than Maccabi, Dynamo Moscow is also known to be interested in Hollis Price
    Last edited by JWalk126; 05-15-2008 at 08:58 PM.

is this the league ersan illyasova is in if it is how is he doing. He's a former buck.

Roko Ukic is supposedly being brought to the NBA next year.

From TalkBasket.net

Theo Papaloukas on his way out of CSKA Moscow?
    Greek star point guard Theodoros Papaloukas could be leaving CSKA Moscow this summer. The best paid player in the history European basketball with 10.5 million Euros for three years spent six seasons in Moscow. He won Euroleague twice and was named MVP in 2006-2007 season.

Papaloukas attracted the interest of many NBA clubs last summer but he stayed in Moscow. The new contract offer was too good to refuse.

The favourite to sign Theo Papaloukas is his former club Greek giants Olympiakos. According to El Mundo Deportive The Reds are willing to offer him the same contract as he has with CSKA Moscow.
    and more about Jeremiah Massey & Moscow
    Since Aris decided to sell Jeremiah Massey some of the top clubs expressed the interest in him. According to Greek website Sport-FM, he is very close to a move to the Euroleague winners CSKA Moscow. The richest club in Europe is competing with Real Madrid, TAU Ceramica and Dynamo Moscow for the signature of Aris' American star.

It is though that Jeremiah Massey would take the place of Marcus Goree at CSKA Moscow.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrinaldi View Post
    is this the league ersan illyasova is in if it is how is he doing. He's a former buck.
    are you referring to Spain or Europe?

Valdemoro Returns To Ros Casares

FIBA Europe
    Ros Casares announced Friday that the club had signed EuroBasket 2007 MVP Amaya Valdemoro on a two-year contract.

Valdemoro, the most famous women's player ever to hail from Spain, spent the last two seasons at CSKA Moscow but suffered a huge disappointment when her team failed to win the EuroLeague Women.

At her unveiling in Valencia, Valdemoro, who played for Ros Casares for four seasons before leaving for Russia, said: "This is a special time to return to Valencia where I shed so many tears when I left.

"I left to win the EuroLeague, something which I have not achieved in Russia and an aim which I have not given up on here.

"Ros Casares is the best team possible to take the EuroLeague Women title away from the Russian teams."

Spartak Moscow Region beat Valdemoro's CSKA in the semi-finals of last year's EuroLeague before beating Ros in the title game.

This season, Spartak defeated UMMC Ekaterinburg at the Final Four in Brno before beating hosts Gambrinus in the championship game.

"I return home to fight for the EuroLeague," Valdemoro said.

"For me, it was the best possible situation.

"Ros Casares will have the chance to fight for a European title, to compete against the Russian teams and that, for an ambitious player like me, is basic."

Valdemoro could have joined numerous clubs but in the end, the ambition of Ros Casares won out.

General manager Carme Lluveras said: "It has been very difficult to get Amaya Valdemoro to come here, but I think she has realized that Ros Casares can also compete to try and make the leap in the EuroLeague Women. We are delighted with her signing."

Ros Casares believed they had assembled a team this season that could win the European title but Manolo Real's squad lost in three games to Gambrinus, including a decider at La Fonteta.

The club just celebrated winning its third domestic title of this season, however, by adding a Liga Femenina crown to the Super Cup and Copa de la Reina triumphs.

Ros Casares have already confirmed that Valdemoro's fellow Spain internationals and good friends Elisa Aguilar and Laia Palau, USA international DeLisha Milton-Jones and Brazil national team star Erika de Souza will play in the 2008-09 campaign.

But former Spanish international Noemi Jordana will not continue at the club after six campaigns wearing the Ros Casares colours.

Additionally, Serbian international Miljana Musovic has agreed to part company with the team. Musovic, who had one year left on her contract with the Valencia outfit, played last season on loan at B Olesa Espanyol.

Lietuvos Rytas fires Aleksandar Trifunovic

Quote Originally Posted by TalkBasket.net
    Lietuvos Rytas general manager Jonas Vainauskas confirmed that Aleksandar Trifunovic and his assistant Ivan Jeremic were fired. The club decided not to renew the contract with coaching staff after losing three different title finals (LKF Cup, BBL and LKL). Trifunovic has been in charge since last spring.

Lithuanian basketball legend Rimas Kurtinaitis has confirmed that he received an offer from Rytas to take head coach position. Kurtinaitis is now working in Poland as a head coach of Wroclaw. He is considered to be the main favourite to replace Aleksandar Trifunovic.

According to various rumours Ramunas Butautas (head coach of Lithuanian national team), Robertas Kuncaitis and Jonas Kazlauskas are the other names on the list.

According to Israeli media, Maccabi made an offer for David Blatt. Current head coach Zvika Sherf is likely to leave the team at the end of the season. Blatt, who has also been linked with Barcelona, has already worked at Maccabi as an assitant coach under Pini Gershon. David Blatt won Eurobasket 2007 with Russia national team.

If the agreement is not reached, another Israeli coach is mentioned as a potential candidate. Sharon Drucker who worked this season in Belgium could be the second on the list for the head coach position of the Yellows.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to ONE - Israel's Top Sports Portal, Vonteego Cummings, Maccabi Tel-Aviv PG, wants to stay in the yellow jersey next season. Despite a disappointing season, the PG wants to stay in Maccabi and promise that he can show much better performances next season.

"I really know nothing about the next seaon, but I'll be glad to stay in Maccabi and prove my ability. I hope that the coach will keep me here, but I will understand if not", said Cummings while he went to an optician to check his eyesight

CSKA Moscow extended contracts with two of their key players. Trajan Langdon, who was named MVP of Euroleague Final Four signed 2+1 contract. He will stay at the club till the end of 2009/2010 and will have an opportunity to renew his contract for one more year. Langdon himself was delighted to have signed a new contract.

Slovenian forward Matjaz Smodis signed 3+1 contract. He was linked with a couple of top European clubs but decided to stay at arguably the strongest team in Europe.

Coach Ettore Messina, who also signed a new contract, is delighted that the club extended contracts with Langdon and Smodis.
    TalkBasket.net

Source: TalkBasket.net
    Real Madrid made a huge step forward to the next season after they grabbed the forward, Jermiah Massey, who played in the last three seasons in Aris Saloniki, that lost the EL card next season. Massey scored 17 points and grabed 8.4 reb in 20 games in the Eurolegue. Jeremiah Massey signed three-year contract with Los Blancos.

CSKA tried to sign Massey few dayes earlier, but after they re-signed Smodis, they decided not to finish the process away.
    source: EUROLEAGUE.net
    Real Madrid has already begun its preparations for next season and beyond with the announcement that power forward Jeremiah Massey has signed a three-year deal with the club. In a press release Wednesday, Madrid announced that Massey (2.02, 25) will play for the team from the Spanish capital through 2011. Massey arrives from Greek side Aris TT Bank, where he has been one of the most dominant players in the Euroleague over the past two seasons. Last year he led the competition in index ranking (21) and rebounding (8.4 rpg.) and finished second in scoring (17 ppg.).

"Massey is a very complete player, because he can be very productive on offense, is solid in defense, a strong rebounder and a good team player," general manager Alberto Herreros said. "He is a man with great physical gifts and arrives at Real Madrid after a great season with Aris in the Euroleague, where he was chosen as the best player of the week several times, averaging some very good statistics. We are very happy with this signing since the player received several offers from very important and different clubs and finally decided to join Real Madrid."
    Last edited by JWalk126; 05-22-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added Euroleague Source

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast