Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Atheists Of PSD

1. DenButsu
    DenButsu
    nate2usmc, definitionally speaking, I'd say you are what's called a "deist", a term you may want to look up. (FWIW, many, if not most of the Founding Fathers were deists, and not Christians).

StinkEye, I think it's fine to sign songs, too - if you know sign.

But in seriousness, I have no problem with congregation, fellowship and community. In fact I think it's important. My problems lie with dogma, authoritarianism, bigotry, abuse, corruption and religion's many other transgressions. As long as atheist organizations stay firmly rooted in critical thinking, reason, accepting ideas based on their merits, evidence-based beliefs, and a drive to correct ourselves when we're wrong -- as opposed to uncritical credulity, dogma, accepting ideas based on authority figures, faith-based beliefs, and the absolute denial we could possibly be wrong, then I'm confident those pitfalls can be avoided.

I'm definitely not in the "atheists shouldn't form groups" camp.
  2. Pablonovi
    How I Got Here: Sneaked in thru Den's sig's portal.
    How Long I've Been An Atheist: 50 years exactly. Happy God-free Birthday To Me!
    How Do I Feel Having Found This Group: Surprisingly happy.
    What Caused Me To Become An Atheist: Back in the early '60s, I spent 4 years in a Catholic Seminary, studying to be a Catholic (Carmelite Order) Priest.

The two key turning points for leaving/rejecting Catholicism were:
    1) Realizing that the Catholic Church was more pro-U.S. Government, than pro-people.
    2) Rejecting the Catholic Church blaming sexily dressed or behaving women for being raped.

The two key turning point for rejecting Deism/God was:
    3) When I seriously studied other religions they were just as wrong about the most important things;
    4) When I seriously studied the Bible, wow! I'd rather believe in Satan he's less evil! Better believe in neither.

Isn't it always such a joy to find other non-believes (especially when you least expect it)?
    Thanx all
    Pablo
  3. Pablonovi
    Den said: "But in seriousness, I have no problem with congregation, fellowship and community. In fact I think it's important. My problems lie with dogma, authoritarianism, bigotry, abuse, corruption and religion's many other transgressions. As long as atheist organizations stay firmly rooted in critical thinking, reason, accepting ideas based on their merits, evidence-based beliefs, and a drive to correct ourselves when we're wrong -- as opposed to uncritical credulity, dogma, accepting ideas based on authority figures, faith-based beliefs, and the absolute denial we could possibly be wrong, then I'm confident those pitfalls can be avoided."

Pablo says: What a fabulous paragraph!

Den said: "I'm definitely not in the "atheists shouldn't form groups" camp. "
    Pablo says: Me neither.
    -------------------
    What Kind Of Atheist Am I: The kind that is sure no gods ever existed. gods didn't create "man"; man created gods to explain all the things we didn't/couldn't understand.
  4. Pablonovi
    Den,
    I have just gotten over to your blog "about other things". I've only started to read about your interchanges with sudsby (spelling) and am quite impressed with your style. You did "bend over backwards" (it's almost always better to do so); and, what was the response? Some equally humble one? No, the true believer must, per force, especially when losing (inevitably) shift tact to b_tching and moaning about our arrogant style. Classic.

You do good work. (Back to reading more of your stuff; out for now).
    Pablo
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456