PDA

View Full Version : What if Lebron was drafted by the Lakers in 96. (I know another what if)

jericho
10-21-2019, 10:20 PM
Got this idea from the Lebron vs Kobe thread. How would the Lakers do if the got Lebron instead of Kobe. Lebron didn't have a good organization behind him from the beginning of his career. So he would have that with the Lakers and potentially stay not have to jump ships. He would also have a HOF coach in Phil Jackson, something he has never had. And he would get Prime Shaq.

How would it go. How many titles would they win. What would be different.

Chronz
10-21-2019, 10:27 PM
They contend alot sooner since it took Kobe longer to develop and he had a positional overlap with Eddie Jones. In this scenario, Bron is a natural SF, who would have brought out the best in both Shaq AND Nick Van Excel(Nick was the prototypical scoring PG but Fisher would have been an even better fit). Shaq would still be the main guy but all you have to do is watch what Penny and Wade were able to get out of their pre/post peak versions of Shaq. Bron developed his range more than Wade ever did so that would have been an added benefit for Shaq. They never make that disastrous trade for Glen Rice and the Lakers maintain their depth longer.

We're looking at a seriously long window for chips, considering how low the bar was for Kobe to win back then (he often held his teams back with his lack of teamwork) there is no doubt they could have won several chips. I also doubt Bron leaves Shaq considering hes always had more of the same goofball mentality.

Kobe would have broken alot more scoring records and shot like 41% or something for the first chunk of his career if he had to carry teams in that regard. Hes prolly not viewed in the same rarified air as he is now but still better than guys like Harden or whatever. Prolly becomes histories leading scorer or something.

ldawg
10-21-2019, 10:36 PM
6 rings by now.

Bostonjorge
10-22-2019, 12:54 AM
Shaq with a rookie Lebron, Jones, Van Excel and Horry in the trade would be extremely tough to beat. I donít think Utah can beat this Lakers team. Jordanís last 2 titles would be his biggest test against Shaq and James. Maybe Lakers steal 1 championship away from Jordan. Making Jordan come back for his biggest test and even bigger Jordan moments and not retiring for the second time. Jordanís Bulls and Lakers could battle through 97-00.

99-10 is Prime Duncan who always had success against both Shaq and James. Shaq and James get 6 Championships from 96-12. Shaq retires a Laker while Kobe, Wade and Bosh form a big 3 in Miami. James donít tear his Achilles and Howard with a bad shoulder is still brought in thru trade. James and Howard have to battle Okc, Golden State, Leonardís Spurs and Miami. In James final season Kobe wins the 2016 championship for Cleveland. KD goes to GS and in 2019 Laker sign Kobe Bryant and trade for AD. Lakers win 2020 Championship.

Rad_Racing
10-22-2019, 01:23 AM
How old was LeBron in '96 11? 12? He would have been one talented ball boy for a few years, but probably would've been ready for the big club by '01ish.

michael811
10-22-2019, 01:35 AM
Del Harris would have made Lebron come off the bench those first two years because he's an idiot. They probably end up with 1-2 rings. i don't think they get by Portland with Lebron vs Kobe. Pippen was strong enough to stay with Lebron. Lebron leaves in free agency the year Kobe was a free agent. Lebron probably has a better career and gets rings elsewhere since he had some actual real coaching from Phil Jackson.

valade16
10-22-2019, 08:33 AM
Suppose they do end up winning more, does LeBron get looked at in the same way historically or would him generally being the 1B to Shaq's 1A impact his legacy?

ewing
10-22-2019, 08:46 AM
He would have been totally insufferable

valade16
10-22-2019, 08:51 AM
He would have been totally insufferable

How is that any different than now?

ewing
10-22-2019, 09:45 AM
How is that any different than now?

bigger market

valade16
10-22-2019, 10:41 AM
bigger market

True. It would have been unbearable, well more so than it already was during that period hating the Lakers.

mrblisterdundee
10-22-2019, 10:58 AM
It'd be like having Magic and the bulldozer version of Kareem. Might as well stop watching basketball for the next decade.

Super.
10-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Suppose they do end up winning more, does LeBron get looked at in the same way historically or would him generally being the 1B to Shaq's 1A impact his legacy?

It really depends on if Shaq leaves/is traded I think.

If Shaq and Bron play together for a large portion of their careers I think we rank Shaq higher and Bron lower overall, but if Shaq leaves I think LeBron would likely be considered in a similar light to today in terms of his all time rank.

Hawkeye15
10-23-2019, 10:50 PM
True. It would have been unbearable, well more so than it already was during that period hating the Lakers.

I would have killed myself

smith&wesson
10-24-2019, 12:59 AM
Lebron & Shaq Vs MJ & Hakeem, who would be the more dominant pairing ?

Heediot
10-24-2019, 06:48 AM
They'd have to ship out more then Vlade to get Bron. Maybe they Ship Vlade, Elden Campbell, Cedric Ceballos and picks.

But a core of Van Exel-Eddie-Jones-Bron-Shaq could develop into something nasty. The backcourt guys could space the floor. Eddie is a high end 3-d type, who could put up buckets and was a fringe all-star.

Heediot
10-24-2019, 06:53 AM
Lebron & Shaq Vs MJ & Hakeem, who would be the more dominant pairing ?

MJ & Hakeem. I'm taking the skilled and better two way pairing. MJ and Hakeem are clutch as **** as well. Historical defenders, historical skill, historical iq. You also have to defend them from more levels of the floor.
If Bron has his range now to go along with his prime defense/athleticism, then they it would be close.

It's brute physicality vs. pure skill.