PDA

View Full Version : Best teams to not win titles

Tg11
08-29-2019, 11:58 AM
Perfect example being the Orlando Magic teams of the 90s especially with such talent like Penny Hardaway, Shaq, Anderson, Skiles, Scott...with all those players in today's NBA at their prime that would be enough to win a title at least but they couldn't get the job done

Which other teams were great teams to never win titles

bostncelts34
08-29-2019, 12:45 PM
First teams that jump in my head are the Utah Jazz (96-97) and the early 00's Kings.

valade16
08-29-2019, 12:52 PM
I'm assuming you mean best teams to never have won a title as opposed to best teams that didn't win a title. Otherwise the best teams to not win a title are probably versions of teams that did (like the 80's Lakers when they lost).

Tg11
08-29-2019, 12:56 PM
Other teams who had talent in abundance but couldn't get it done are the 2001 Toronto Raptors especially with the team they had: Carter, Davis, Oakley, Williams, Williams, Mo Pete, Keon Clark, etc. how that team could not win a title is beyond me

Seattle Sonics in 96 is another team who had talent but couldn't get it done

Sacramento being another team who had talent in abundance: Peja Stojakovic, White Chocolate, Brad Miller, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Divac, Webber, etc

MarkieMark48
08-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Early 2000 Kings

Heediot
08-29-2019, 01:31 PM
OKC had a bunch of squads with championship potential.

D'antoni Suns and Adelman Kings.

Shaq Magic.

valade16
08-29-2019, 01:51 PM
The best teams by SRS to never win a title are:

2013 Oklahoma City Thunder - 91.5 SRS (Lost in Semis)
1986 Milwaukee Bucks - 8.69 SRS (Lost in ECF)
2009 Cleveland Cavs - 8.68 SRS (Lost in Finals)
1994 Seattle Sonics - 8.68 SRS (Lost in 1st Rd)
1991 Portland Blazers - 8.47 SRS (Lost in WCF)
2018 Houston Rockets - 8.21 SRS (Lost in WCF)

Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.

Tg11
08-29-2019, 02:32 PM
1999 New York Knicks are another team who had talent certainly enough that they could have won it all

VCaintdead17
08-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Rockets would have beaten GSW and then likely Cleveland as well had CP3 not went down in 2018. That was their year.

More-Than-Most
08-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Early 2000 Kings

not really fair... they were legit cheated : (

They the real champs.

NBA all the way
08-29-2019, 06:59 PM

Those are generally not the teams (and if they are, not the years) that most people think when they think of when they think of best teams never to win a title. I wonder if these teams are underrated or if SRS is wrong in these cases.

2009 Cavs lost in the ECF finals to the Magic.

I know they won 66 games but that team was hot garbage. Started 2 centers and 2 point guards with LBJ, lol

mightybosstone
08-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Other teams who had talent in abundance but couldn't get it done are the 2001 Toronto Raptors especially with the team they had: Carter, Davis, Oakley, Williams, Williams, Mo Pete, Keon Clark, etc. how that team could not win a title is beyond me

Seattle Sonics in 96 is another team who had talent but couldn't get it done

Sacramento being another team who had talent in abundance: Peja Stojakovic, White Chocolate, Brad Miller, Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Divac, Webber, etc

90s Sonics and the early 2000s Kings are legitimate answers to this question. Those were some damn good teams and among the best squads in the league in their respective eras.

The early 2000s Raptors do not remotely belong anywhere near this list, and the only reason I can think you added them is maybe that you're a Raptors fan (I honestly don't know)? That team won a whopping 47 games that year, was 14th in the league in SRS and finished 5th in an already pretty weak Eastern Conference. Aside from Carter, there wasn't another guy on that roster anywhere near All-Star caliber that year.

Actually, these teams (generally speaking, maybe not those specific years) would definitely be in the conversation among the best to never win it, IMO. Without thinking, I would have thought of the 90s Sonics, 90s Blazers, the 2018 Rockets and OKC with Durant. Those were all excellent teams that could have easily won titles had 1-2 things gone a little differently.

Vee-Rex
08-29-2019, 09:15 PM
2009 Cavs lost in the ECF finals to the Magic.

I know they won 66 games but that team was hot garbage. Started 2 centers and 2 point guards with LBJ, lol

This.

I think it worked for awhile through the regular season. The defensive numbers were really good, but all it really took was someone gameplanning in the playoffs. And the Magic had the right pieces to get it done.

Regular season SRS just doesn't quite tell the story. I happen to think the 2017 playoff Cavs are arguably the best Cavs team ever. It's just unfortunate they were faced against an Olympic team, one that has never lost a series fully healthy. Closest to beat them were the 2018 Rox which were truly a historic team in their own right.

NBA all the way
08-29-2019, 09:19 PM
This.

I think it worked for awhile through the regular season. The defensive numbers were really good, but all it really took was someone gameplanning in the playoffs. And the Magic had the right pieces to get it done.

Regular season SRS just doesn't quite tell the story. I happen to think the 2017 playoff Cavs are arguably the best Cavs team ever. It's just unfortunate they were faced against an Olympic team, one that has never lost a series fully healthy. Closest to beat them were the 2018 Rox which were truly a historic team in their own right.

I agree, that Cavs team was really clicking. Just hit a wall in that stacked Warriors team.

ewing
08-29-2019, 09:54 PM

That stat sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaVar Ball
08-29-2019, 11:00 PM

2009 Cavs did not lose in the finals, they lost in the ECF

Da fuq u gettin ur info from bro?

goingfor28
08-30-2019, 12:02 AM
not really fair... they were legit cheated : (

They the real champs.Yup. That was total BS

mightybosstone
08-30-2019, 01:57 PM
That stat sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think if you looked at the standings and teams every season and compared them to SRS, you'd think differently. SRS is a far better indicator of regular season competence than win-loss is. Win-loss doesn't take into account things like strength of schedule or margin of victory. SRS does.

Also, you're forgetting that SRS is strictly regular season stat, so a great regular season team will look great while a team that steps up big in the postseason but doesn't take the regular season seriously will typically have a pretty mediocre SRS.

valade16
08-30-2019, 03:05 PM
I think if you looked at the standings and teams every season and compared them to SRS, you'd think differently. SRS is a far better indicator of regular season competence than win-loss is. Win-loss doesn't take into account things like strength of schedule or margin of victory. SRS does.

Also, you're forgetting that SRS is strictly regular season stat, so a great regular season team will look great while a team that steps up big in the postseason but doesn't take the regular season seriously will typically have a pretty mediocre SRS.

Is there a postseason SRS stat and if not, why not? Seems like there should be.

ewing
08-31-2019, 11:01 AM
Is there a postseason SRS stat and if not, why not? Seems like there should be.

that might a stat worth discussing.

ewing
08-31-2019, 11:02 AM

I'm not forgetting. That's why the stat sucks

mrblisterdundee
09-04-2019, 02:48 AM
The 1991-92 Blazers beat Jordan and Pippen twice in the finals, including once in Chicago. The loss in game six was only by four points.