PDA

View Full Version : PSD's Mock Offseason RD1: DAL @ UTA

Super.
08-25-2019, 12:30 PM
THIS IS NOT REAL

This is the culmination of a group of users on PSD playing out an entire NBA offseason. Please look at each team and determine who would win in a SEVEN game series. DO NOT VOTE ON TEAM FANDOM LINES. Only vote on which team would win the series. GMs are likely not even fans of that franchise and have just been playing for fun.

Votes are only legal from vouched users or users with 100+ posts

DAL
PG: Damian Lillard/Quinn Cook/Rajon Rondo
SG: Terrance Ross/Donte Divcenzo
SF: Thabo Sefolosha/Justin Jackson/Kevin Knox
PF: Serge Ibaka/Bismack Biyombo
C: Ed Davis/Thomas Bryant

@

UTAH
PG: Donovan Mitchell(32)/Tomas Satoransky(28)/Emmanual Modiay(0)
SG: Klay Thompson(32)/Royce Oíneale(13)/Garrett Temple(some)
SF: Joe Ingles(32)/Royce Oíneale(13)/Garrett Temple(some)
PF: Derrick Favors(20)/Marvin Williams(22)/Ersan Ilyasova(depends on matchup)
C: Rudy Gobert(34)/Derrick Favors(14)Epke Udoh(0)

GREATNESS ONE
08-25-2019, 12:47 PM
Almost forgot how good Utah is

TrueFan420
08-25-2019, 01:11 PM
Almost forgot how good Utah is
Utah is good and theyíll win this match up but their built poorly. Mitchell isnít a PG and Klay isnít a playmaker from the SG. Gobert and Favors might not need plays ran for them but their also much much better with a real PG to set them up with easy looks.

VCaintdead17
08-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Utah is good and theyíll win this match up but their built poorly. Mitchell isnít a PG and Klay isnít a playmaker from the SG. Gobert and Favors might not need plays ran for them but their also much much better with a real PG to set them up with easy looks.

You could argue that Mitchell and the Jazz were actually better this year when he started at point guard. They went 8-0 with him at the point, and he averaged 30 and 6 while the Jazz sported an overall higher Ortg. Don't see it being an issue at all, especially since he's the only player who needs the ball in his hands.

TrueFan420
08-25-2019, 02:05 PM
You could argue that Mitchell and the Jazz were actually better this year when he started at point guard. They went 8-0 with him at the point, and he averaged 30 and 6 while the Jazz sported an overall higher Ortg. Don't see it being an issue at all, especially since he's the only player who needs the ball in his hands.

Small sample size and it was 6. The other two the started someone else at PG. Neto and Exum. Either way thatís not a large sample size and while heís a good playmaker no one else on that team is. I have reservations about how theyíd manage to create shots.

VCaintdead17
08-25-2019, 02:17 PM
Small sample size and it was 6. The other two the started someone else at PG. Neto and Exum. Either way thatís not a large sample size and while heís a good playmaker no one else on that team is. I have reservations about how theyíd manage to create shots.

The sample size point is fair, but his numbers in general also show that he's a good creator. When you look at this points generated by assists and potential assist percentage, he's around the same tier as guys like Steph Curry, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Lonzo Ball. He's not an elite playmaker by any means, but I think he's solid enough where playing him at point guard won't be a detriment. I think it's also important to note that most Jazz writers think that his full time transition to point guard will come sooner rather than later.

TrueFan420
08-25-2019, 02:22 PM
The sample size point is fair, but his numbers in general also show that he's a good creator. When you look at this points generated by assists and potential assist percentage, he's around the same tier as guys like Steph Curry, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Lonzo Ball. He's not an elite playmaker by any means, but I think he's solid enough where playing him at point guard won't be a detriment. I think it's also important to note that most Jazz writers think that his full time transition to point guard will come sooner rather than later.

None of the players you named play on teams where their the sole creator. He may make the transition and he may be very very good at it but for me itís a little too early and the lack of a second playmaker is problematic. Not this round. Maybe not the next depending on match up but itís enough that they wonít be able to win the whole thing as constructed.

VCaintdead17
08-25-2019, 02:32 PM
None of the players you named play on teams where their the sole creator. He may make the transition and he may be very very good at it but for me itís a little too early and the lack of a second playmaker is problematic. Not this round. Maybe not the next depending on match up but itís enough that they wonít be able to win the whole thing as constructed.

Yeah that's fair. Although Satoransky was legit one of the better playmakers this year, so to say Mitchell has to be the sole creator isn't really true. Sato was was in the 90% percentile for points generated by assists, assist points over expectation, and potential assists while sporting a super solid overall assist% to boot. The Sato-Mitchell pairing is actually super reminiscent of that Jason Williams-Dwyane Wade back court that won it all, with Sato's numbers aligning and even exceeding in some regards to J Wills. Obviously though Wade and Mitchell are on different tiers.

Overall, I like this Jazz team a lot. While I don't think playmaking will be the source of their downfall or even a huge issue, I think there's still some other issues that can be addressed in later rounds.

dhopisthename
08-25-2019, 02:36 PM

ingles averaged six assists last year in 30 minutes. Satoransky averaged 5 in 27 minutes. I have 2 incredible screen setters with Gobert and Favors and incredible shooting at every position. I only have one guy who can get a shot off in a one on one sure with Mitchell, but the jazz didn't last year in the playoffs cause they couldn't get open shots they just couldn't make them.

JAZZNC
08-27-2019, 10:10 PM
Jazz pretty easily. Probably play Marvin Williams a little more than 20mins if it were me but they shouldn't have any trouble in this matchup.

TrueFan420
08-28-2019, 12:05 AM
ingles averaged six assists last year in 30 minutes. Satoransky averaged 5 in 27 minutes. I have 2 incredible screen setters with Gobert and Favors and incredible shooting at every position. I only have one guy who can get a shot off in a one on one sure with Mitchell, but the jazz didn't last year in the playoffs cause they couldn't get open shots they just couldn't make them.

Wow didnít realize he had so many.