PDA

View Full Version : Is Kawhi Leonard the epitome of his father Mark Leonard ... A Con-Artist?

LaVar Ball
07-29-2019, 01:21 AM
If you guys don't know the backstory to who Mark Leonard was and what he stood for, he was Kawhi's father who used to own a carwash in Compton. He was highly respected in the Compton, CA community at a time when there was a lot of gang warfare going on in that impoverished community. But... he was also a notorious drug dealer, a well respected Godfather of many sorts, wheeling and dealing while out to the public was an entrepreneur. But he was the biggest con artist that there was. He was shot and killed at his carwash in Compton (who is to say that it was enmity drug-related ? )

But he told his son Kawhi to not lead the life that he his father had chosen. He told him to focus and put all his energy on his become an elite athlete.

Fast forward to the 2017-18 season, when Kawhi (who suffered an injury in the 2017 postseason by Zaza Pa-cheap shot) played 9 games during the 17-18 season. He and his Uncle Dennis Robertson (Kawhi's mom's brother) led the crusade.

Now, we know all the stuff said in San Antonio by Pop, Manu, Tony, DRob, Bowen etc .... but from the time Pop took over in 1996 to present day, not one person within the organization or around NBA circles had said or breathed even anything negative about Popovich or the organization. And here was one guy after 21 years who wasn't on board with what the organization was doing. And this was led by Uncle Dennis.

For those who follow First Things First Show on FS1, Cris Carter, who used to share the same agent as Kawhi, is within Kawhi's circle. He, Kawhi and Uncle Dennis led the machination of all machinations of the century with the way they went about things, the way Kawhi changed his meeting place from El Segundo Lakers Headquarters to a hotel in Beverly Hills (because he wanted to meet up with Paul George at an undisclosed location in beverly hills close to the hotel thereafter), the way he made the Lakers wait until all free agents went off the board, the way Stephen A Smith said that within NBA circles that Uncle Dennis was asking for things from the other two teams that would go against the collective bargaining agreement, the way Cris Carter was painting the narrative and led people on, especially the 2-3 weeks every weekday leading up to Kawhi's decision on July 5 and his tweets leading up to that moment when he was the guy who announced in late Friday night in southern california on that July 5th. ANd Cris Carter comes out BASHING and CRUCIFYING Magic for leaking out his phone conversation with Kawhi ....

Just made me think how Kawhi and his camp (Uncle Dennis, Cris Carter), Kawhi's family all epitomize the legacy of the con-artist that was Mark Leonard (aka the Gustavo Fring of Compton, CA). So much so that there were some Lakers posters here on PSD who was actually legit close to Kawhi's friend's group in real life (KobeOwnsU is one of them) and he was hearing Kawhi to the Lakers .... and he said that he was lied to, falsely led on etc.

Kawhi signs with the Clippers, thanks the Raptors fans (not the organization if you noted), and made a lighthearted joke about the Raptors free Kawhi and Dine offer and how he took advantage of it (but he shouldn't have done that) ....

At the end of the day, no matter how talented the reigning 2x finals MVP Kawhi Leonard is, although he didn't go the crime route in life, there is no question that the way he and his camp do business with people (Pop-Spurs, Masai-Raptors, Jeanie-Lakers) ... Kawhi Leonard IS his father Mark Leonard ..... A BONAFIDE GRADE-A CON ARTIST!!!

JAZZNC
07-29-2019, 03:11 AM
The Dead Sea is one of the saltiest places on Earth....second only to this post.

Tg11
07-29-2019, 04:43 AM
It makes Kawhi look bad and how the Raptors fans aren't more upset with him for doing what he did leaving the way he did even after he helped you guys win a title...makes no sense to me

JAZZNC
07-29-2019, 05:40 AM
It makes Kawhi look bad and how the Raptors fans aren't more upset with him for doing what he did leaving the way he did even after he helped you guys win a title...makes no sense to me

You said it in your own post. He helped them win their first title. That's why Raptors fans aren't more upset with him. They have a championship, something a LOT of NBA franchises can't say. He came to play and played extremely well for them. He chose not to come back which I hated to see but he has that choice to go where he's happy. It makes plenty of sense if you're a halfway rational human being.

Tg11
07-29-2019, 06:06 AM
Yeah but he essentially played the Raptors though that's what I'm sayin

warfelg
07-29-2019, 07:29 AM
You said it in your own post. He helped them win their first title. That's why Raptors fans aren't more upset with him. They have a championship, something a LOT of NBA franchises can't say. He came to play and played extremely well for them. He chose not to come back which I hated to see but he has that choice to go where he's happy. It makes plenty of sense if you're a halfway rational human being.

That, and here's my thing: Him, Jimmy, both had lists of where they prefer to land. They got traded elsewhere, gave it everything, fans loved them, and they decided to move to where they want. Fans should have 0 problem with this either way.

We should have a bigger problem with what Paul George did, getting traded, re-upping, then wanting out. AD is being strange and we'll see how it plays out, but this big deal was made about playing for the Lakers, then saying he won't guarantee a re-sign, the Bulls are an interesting spot to him (who weren't even on his list), and other markets will always intrigue him. Those situations bother me more, because they sound like guys that can't commit to something.

IndyRealist
07-29-2019, 08:20 AM

The Raptors traded for him knowing he didn't want to be there. They did what they could to convince him to stay, but in the end he did what he said he was going to do from the beginning. They went all in for a championship, and got a ring. More non-coast teams should do the same. No one got played except maybe the Lakers.

TheDish87
07-29-2019, 08:58 AM
delete this thread. what a piece of **** post.

smith&wesson
07-29-2019, 09:33 AM

We were over the cap anyway, so itís not like we could have went after another top flight free agent.

Also Kawhi made it pretty clear through out the season that he wasnít staying. We all kinda knew so it wasnít a shock or anything. We essentially looked at him as a rental and thatís what it was.

LaVar Ball
07-29-2019, 10:20 AM
delete this thread. what a piece of **** post.

Delete your account and donít watch

WaDe03
07-29-2019, 11:13 AM
We got **** like this on here but yíall are really going out of your way reporting my posts and trying to get me banned? Hate to see it....

Dade County
07-29-2019, 11:19 AM
Interesting thread, I think you let your imagination get a little carried away but still creative.

But most of the top basketball players are con artists (Le-Con), they take orders from the League and both sides manipulate the majority.

Also you have to factor in the league under no circumstances wanted Kawhi with the Lakers. The League was behind this along with Kawhi, that's why it was so quietly done.

Of course the League would rather Kawhi stayed with the Raptors, but that wasn't Kawhis team/ destination, he was traded there.

Cal827
07-29-2019, 11:24 AM

I don't think a lot of us feel like he did. We knew from that trade that he initially wanted to go back home, and that we were playing with fire, seeing that he would be a UFA and that the two teams from his home state would have cap space to acquire him. We're just happy that he didn't phone it in the season in and leave afterwards. When he was playing, he played at 100%. We were cautious during the season, but come playoff time he played as hard and as long as they needed to win it all. Now, our team that had just been used to failure time and time again, has an NBA title before many other teams, knocking off a Dynasty team (though at the tail/injury end) in the process.... There wasn't any drama from his group during the season, and as a free agent, he has the choice to go play anywhere he wants. Maybe there would have been more anger if he went to a team say in New York, but he seemed to lock in on 3 options quickly in the LA teams and Toronto.

The Raptors/Lakers brass were mad because they felt like they were played... Well that's the business isn't it? If you know many places want to hire you, would you not consider having them compete for your services, and set yourself up in a comfortable way? I mean Jesus, our FO did trade away a guy who represented the franchise for a decade to get Leonard in the first place. Also Kawhi wanted to play with Paul George supposedly; the Raptors could've acquired him, but they opted to go another way. I mean it probably would have costed a ton as the Thunder were trying to make a competition between the Clippers and Raptors for George (since George wouldn't mind playing in Toronto). I would be curious to what the final deal would've been for George if the Raptors took the bait and amped up the deal (though in our circumstances, we'd also probably get Westbrook as part of the deal).

Also, The **** the Lakers have the audacity to talk about being played?
After the open Tampering by their FO (Magic), and basically having Anthony Davis Shut down (via Rich Paul) any potential deals to places other than the Lakers :laugh2: It's not like they COULDN'T go after some of the other free agents around (E.g. Russell, Walker, and many of the other role players out there).

The only people here who are saying Kawhi played us are the people who became a fan in May/June, and will jump off come the start of the next season. :laugh2:

crewfan13
07-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Kawhi isn't a con artist and didn't play anyone. He never gave any indication he was staying in toronto long term. They made the deal knowing full well this was a strong possibility. And from the sounds of it, he told these teams go get Paul George and I'll sign with you. And the clippers did that. It sounds like at least Toronto had that opportunity as well. And they either chose not to make a deal or couldn't offer as much.

And we don't know all of kawhis thoughts, but there's at least a decent chance he goes to LAL if no one could get PG.

And it's funny because people criticize players for signing contracts and then requesting trades. But now it feels like we're also going to criticize a player for taking his time to decide and making sure he likes the team he's going to sign with instead of just signing a deal 10 minutes into free agency.

bucketss
07-29-2019, 03:38 PM
kawhi is a good guy, good things happens to good guys thats why he keeps winning in life.

TheDish87
07-29-2019, 04:15 PM
he was never once linked to the lakers by anyone who mattered. why would a 2 time finals mpv go take a backseat to lefrauds sideshow?

Scoots
07-29-2019, 04:47 PM
Nothing more coming here. Past time to close it.