PDA

View Full Version : Lakers 2019-20 and beyond

Scoots
07-26-2019, 06:06 PM
The Lakers will make the playoffs unless LeBron and AD spend a large portion of the season injured. There is certainly enough talent on the roster to make it.

But, as we learned last year, there are no guarantees.

At the start of last year they had nearly all their draft picks going forward, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Zubac, plus two draft picks in Wagner and Bonga and a future. Now they only have a present that includes Davis who is very good no question, Kuzma, 2nd round pick THT, and a 35 year old LeBron.

But they learned the lesson of having a roster of 1 year players being a problem when trying to get people to play as a team right? Nope. The players locked up for next year are LeBron at 36, Danny Green at 33, Avery Bradley, and THT. That's it.

Next year they face re-signing AD and Kuzma and building a team around them again.

The psychology on that team on the floor and the locker room is going to be a tightrope, and that's not including any possible tension between coaches, and between people in the front office that certainly can't be ruled out.

It's a soap opera, and I suspect LeBron is happy to be right in the middle of it.

I assume someone will say this is a troll, but it is absolutely not intended that way, it's just an outsiders view of the state of the team. My Lakers fan friends are all saying a title is a near certainty this year, and while it's possible, it will take SO MUCH going right it's certainly far from certain.

Bostonjorge
07-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Lakers have a strong team thatís going to be led by James. Heís still number one in the league at leading especially in the playoffs. Playoff James covers the whole court in seems, on both ends. I watched him play for years while cheering against him and saw first hand his hand print on this game. Every real championship came thru James since his first one in Miami. With the league wide open more then ever before, James is the one everyone is trying to beat.

Davis is the best player in the league who hasnít even hit his prime yet. Clearly the best big and rivals Greek in almost every category. Even age. Davis is 6 years younger then Curry. If Lakers resign Davis to a super max longer term deal/most $ ever then they won this trade. Easily. Especially when you already have Lebron James.

WhiteShadow42
07-26-2019, 08:41 PM
The Lakers will make the playoffs unless LeBron and AD spend a large portion of the season injured. There is certainly enough talent on the roster to make it.

At the start of last year they had nearly all their draft picks going forward, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Zubac, plus two draft picks in Wagner and Bonga and a future. Now they only have a present that includes Davis who is very good no question, Kuzma, 2nd round pick THT, and a 35 year old LeBron.

But they learned the lesson of having a roster of 1 year players being a problem when trying to get people to play as a team right? Nope. The players locked up for next year are LeBron at 36, Danny Green at 33, Avery Bradley, and THT. That's it.

Next year they face re-signing AD and Kuzma and building a team around them again.

The psychology on that team on the floor and the locker room is going to be a tightrope, and that's not including any possible tension between coaches, and between people in the front office that certainly can't be ruled out.

It's a soap opera, and I suspect LeBron is happy to be right in the middle of it.

I assume someone will say this is a troll, but it is absolutely not intended that way, it's just an outsiders view of the state of the team. My Lakers fan friends are all saying a title is a near certainty this year, and while it's possible, it will take SO MUCH going right it's certainly far from certain.

We can also say that players with 1 year contracts may play harder for that next contract. You sometimes see a player with a 4 year contract dropping off in performance. The Lakers do have a pretty deep team though. But you are correct. The Lakers have basically constructed a whole new team so we really don't know what we are going to get on the court yet. Although we have a bunch of one year guys but McGee, Rondo, and KCP are returning players.

IKnowHoops
07-26-2019, 09:08 PM

Every year Lebron gets older, he also gets wiser. Being the freak that he is, heís not aging like other players. And the aging he does hasnít hindered him because he was already so far ahead of everyone physically. Just like Jordan who was a freak athlete and took care of his body, they both work hard every year to improve there game. The biggest drop off for Lebron is his motor. Other than that, he is still bigger faster and stronger than any SF in the game. He still has more hoo than anyone at his position accept maybe Zion, who doesnít have near the skill, IQ or knowledge of what works.

As someone who watches James closely, I can tell you he coasted harder than ever last year because he had no intention of going into the playoffs with that team. His IQ and experience new it was a waste of time and I heís not going to risk injury for nothing at this point in his career. Being that he had been to the finals 8 consecutive years, he looks at and approaches the game differently than every player in the league, as evident he hasnít gone hard during the regular season since his second year in Miami, yet has been the best player in the playoffs by a good margin every year.

This year I expect James from his last playoffs to show up in this years playoffs. I also expect a bit higher level of urgency during the season, someone who cares more, and plays harder on defense.

Lakers vs Clippers games will be very telling, and I think those will be the Games you will see the real Bron, or the closest thing to playoff Bron.

I have very little doubt that he is still the best player in the NBA.

AD is going to clown
DeMarcus is going to be 90-100% of what he was and is going to make a big impact
Kuzma is primes and ready to shine
McGee is going to be even better than last season which was a huge step up from his GS days
Danny should see a lot of open shots
Rondo is a very good player when he is playing with high IQ guys who can finish

The young guys last year were talented, but super inconsistent and low IQ and one trick ponies. Rondo had a hard time playing with them because they didnít know how to play the game.

Lakers brought in some very good 3pt shooting and they have a very good team on paper.

If they get Iggy and donít get injured, I donít see how they donít win it all.

Buckle up.

Scoots
07-27-2019, 12:04 AM
We can also say that players with 1 year contracts may play harder for that next contract. You sometimes see a player with a 4 year contract dropping off in performance. The Lakers do have a pretty deep team though. But you are correct. The Lakers have basically constructed a whole new team so we really don't know what we are going to get on the court yet. Although we have a bunch of one year guys but McGee, Rondo, and KCP are returning players.

Sure, but "harder" doesn't necessarily mean they will put the team first.

Health, the system, team play, and how they defend are going to be very interesting. If they can hit their stride early they will be a force.

More-Than-Most
07-27-2019, 12:16 AM
I am legit really really worried AD is gonna walk to the bulls and his comments arent making it easier. Id rather not see the lakers have to tank for 5 plus more years and only get 2 good years out of it because of idiots in charge... the league really could use lakers/knicks good.

LaVar Ball
07-27-2019, 01:54 AM
I am legit really really worried AD is gonna walk to the bulls and his comments arent making it easier. Id rather not see the lakers have to tank for 5 plus more years and only get 2 good years out of it because of idiots in charge... the league really could use lakers/knicks good.

Meh

Jeanie is an emotional wreck. She needs to sell the team and admit herself into a mental institution.

More-Than-Most
07-27-2019, 03:52 AM
Meh

Jeanie is an emotional wreck. She needs to sell the team and admit herself into a mental institution.

I legit dont disagree... I feel like you guys missed out on the logo but so be it... that being said the ****ing guys making decision are horrid... they brought in lebron because he wanted LA for the location and movies/space Jam 3/his Kids etc... Fine... Lebron brought in AD.... I see nothing the top people did to warrant this... If this season isnt a complete success AD probably walks to the bulls and if he does that is the nuclear option becuase the lakers are ****ed.... I am mixed... I want the knicks/lakers good but the knicks did something smart this off season by not waiting on KL like the lakers did.... not sure what to think right now... Lakers will have a great season but a title is up for grabs... If AD walks which is likely with all his stupid comments recently then what then?

That is a big ****ing risk that nobody should take.

MygirlhatesCod
07-27-2019, 06:52 AM

Besides their fans NOBODY gives AF about the knicks or lakers being good!

Scoots
07-27-2019, 08:36 AM
Besides their fans NOBODY gives AF about the knicks or lakers being good!

I think the NBA main office and the press want them to be good too.

warfelg
07-27-2019, 08:59 AM
AD wonít leave the Lakers after everything that happened. RP is using AD the same way he used LeBron for those second Cavs run years. As long as you have an out use the threat of it to improve the team. I would be more chocked in the 2020 offseason if AD signs a 5 year max than if he does a 1+1. Players are really starting to use contract structures to their benefit in the NBA.

Scoots
07-27-2019, 02:02 PM
AD wonít leave the Lakers after everything that happened. RP is using AD the same way he used LeBron for those second Cavs run years. As long as you have an out use the threat of it to improve the team. I would be more chocked in the 2020 offseason if AD signs a 5 year max than if he does a 1+1. Players are really starting to use contract structures to their benefit in the NBA.

It would be funny though. Particularly if he left the Lakers and stayed in the same building.

WhiteShadow42
07-27-2019, 04:38 PM
Sure, but "harder" doesn't necessarily mean they will put the team first.

Health, the system, team play, and how they defend are going to be very interesting. If they can hit their stride early they will be a force.

Good point. The Laker's weakness at this point is small forward. And that is a bad matchup against the Clippers with George. This year is kind of crazy that so many stars have moved around. I have no idea what to expect early on. One big difference is that this year the Lakers have veteran players instead of the young guys. We should be more consistent.

buckalis
07-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Good point. The Laker's weakness at this point is small forward. And that is a bad matchup against the Clippers with George. This year is kind of crazy that so many stars have moved around. I have no idea what to expect early on. One big difference is that this year the Lakers have veteran players instead of the young guys. We should be more consistent.

LOL... Yeah... they have plenty of PG and only SF to worry about... :guns:

Lakers + Giants
07-27-2019, 07:19 PM
It would be funny though. Particularly if he left the Lakers and stayed in the same building.

No troll tho, no troll

Scoots
07-27-2019, 10:44 PM
No troll tho, no troll

Should have said "fun" rather than "funny" ... It's interesting when there is drama in the NBA.