PDA

View Full Version : Danny Ainge is hella overrated

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 12:49 AM
Absoutely rapes the nets in a trade & the nets are a bigger contender before the celtics. holy ****ing ****.

Someone convince me I'm wrong. I dare u

More-Than-Most
07-26-2019, 12:54 AM
welcome to what i have been saying for years

JAZZNC
07-26-2019, 04:58 AM
In a Celtics troll thread you somehow manage to put Giannis in the title. Your homer training is now complete young grasshopper.

Iron24th
07-26-2019, 05:10 AM
WTF is this?

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 09:34 AM
In a Celtics troll thread you somehow manage to put Giannis in the title. Your homer training is now complete young grasshopper.

No idea what happened here. But ainge is Hella overrated

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 09:35 AM
welcome to what i have been saying for years
He's made one good move aside from the rape trade. Brad Steven's.

mightybosstone
07-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Great thread title! Typing is hard...

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Great thread title! Typing is hard...

**** hommie- the thread was created just before midnight; it ain't take a rocket scientist You'll be in the same position this entire NBA season.

mightybosstone
07-26-2019, 10:44 AM
**** hommie- the thread was created just before midnight; it ain't take a rocket scientist You'll be in the same position this entire NBA season.

Yeah, your effort on this sentence wasn't much better than your effort on the title. Seriously, dude, you're communicating with complete strangers on the internet who could live half a world away from you. We don't know you, we're not in your head and we can't decipher your thoughts just because you exploded some words on a screen. Take 10 extra seconds to read your thoughts before clicking that button and ask yourself, "Is this legible?" If it's not, take another 30 seconds to make it legible.

smith&wesson
07-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Giannis Ainge & Danny Antetokounmpo itís all the same lol

smith&wesson
07-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Yeah, your effort on this sentence wasn't much better than your effort on the title. Seriously, dude

Lol thatís jokes... For Giannis and Bucky I think English might be like their 3rd language. Letís give em a break.

He has an interesting point though, the nets made that ridiculous trade for Pierce and KG and they got scorched for it. But with out picks they managed to build a contender before the Celtics could with all those assets.

My only thing is, is it he brilliance of the Nets FO? Or did they simply luck out that the Irving - Celtics experiment didnít work? And the KD - Warriors experiment fizzled out sooner then anticipated?

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Lol thatís jokes... For Giannis and Bucky I think English might be like their 3rd language. Letís give em a break.

He has an interesting point though, the nets made that ridiculous trade for Pierce and KG and they got scorched for it. But with out picks they managed to build a contender before the Celtics could with all those assets.

My only thing is, is it he brilliance of the Nets FO? Or did they simply luck out that the Irving - Celtics experiment didnít work? And the KD - Warriors experiment fizzled out sooner then anticipated?

I made a typo in my response to MBT. My point in what he bolded was that I was drinking; which he will likely be doing if Westy & Harden don't pan out.

smith&wesson
07-26-2019, 11:28 AM
I made a typo in my response to MBT. My point in what he bolded was that I was drinking; which he will likely be doing if Westy & Harden don't pan out.

Is all good bruh I know what you meant.

I know PSD hates WB, but as a Rockets fan Iím stoked about getting WB.

If you watch Rockets games, their biggest issue that would stand out to you is how quickly they lose leads whenever Harden rests. Or how much further they fall behind. With WB we can now stagger to ensure one of them is on the floor at all times.

Iím excited to see WB in Dantonís system as well. Plus we kept Tucker, Gordon, Capela who I think are a great supporting cast. I have a great feeling about the Rockets up coming season.

Chris Paul was a great player and is still very good, but his age and proneness to injury was a major concern.

GiantsSwaGG
07-26-2019, 11:30 AM
This forum has become a joke!

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Is all good bruh I know what you meant.

I know PSD hates WB, but as a Rockets fan Iím stoked about getting WB.

If you watch Rockets games, their biggest issue that would stand out to you is how quickly they lose leads whenever Harden rests. Or how much further they fall behind. With WB we can now stagger to ensure one of them is on the floor at all times.

Iím excited to see WB in Dantonís system as well. Plus we kept Tucker, Gordon, Capela who I think are a great supporting cast. I have a great feeling about the Rockets up coming season.

Chris Paul was a great player and is still very good, but his age and proneness to injury was a major concern.

The one thing about the entire off-season that I still don't understand is why the Rockets were so anxious to swap Capela + (likely picks) for butler. Capela is a beast & adding jimmy to CP3/Harden would mean that their reboudning & post play would have been brutal

Giannis94
07-26-2019, 12:04 PM

Ohhhh hey there, Knicks fan. Been a while since I've seen a knicks fan in the main

mightybosstone
07-26-2019, 01:48 PM

1. Then just say that. Again, we are not mind readersótyping what you mean is not complicated.
2. Maybe you shouldn't be making a bunch of threads at midnight while drinking? Maybe that's not the best time to make threadsójust a thought...
3. It's possible Westbrook and Harden won't pan out. I don't really have any control over that.

mightybosstone
07-26-2019, 01:57 PM
As to the original point of OP's thread (I think), I do think Ainge is a bit overrated. He had all those picks and assets, and he never managed to deal them for a legitimate superstar. Plus, the deal for Kyrie didn't exactly go as planned; neither did Hayward (although that was hardly his fault).

But I'm not sure we can call the Nets "bigger contenders" just yet. The Celtics should be the better basketball team next season on paper given Durant's injury. Plus, Ainge could still be playing the longer game here and trying to build a contending team that can win multiple titles and contend for a decade. Tatum and Brown are only 21 and 22, respectively, so they still have a ton of room to grow. Plus, Kemba is arguably an upgrade over Kyrie, and worst case scenario, Hayward becomes an expiring contract next summer, so there's flexibility next offseason to add another piece.

Bottom line, I don't think you can judge Ainge's performance as GM just yet. Let's see how this whole thing pans out in 4-5 years. By then if he hasn't built a contending team that's made a few runs to the finals, I'm comfortable saying the guy was unsuccessful.

LeonFSU
07-26-2019, 03:17 PM
As to the original point of OP's thread (I think), I do think Ainge is a bit overrated. He had all those picks and assets, and he never managed to deal them for a legitimate superstar. Plus, the deal for Kyrie didn't exactly go as planned; neither did Hayward (although that was hardly his fault).

But I'm not sure we can call the Nets "bigger contenders" just yet. The Celtics should be the better basketball team next season on paper given Durant's injury. Plus, Ainge could still be playing the longer game here and trying to build a contending team that can win multiple titles and contend for a decade. Tatum and Brown are only 21 and 22, respectively, so they still have a ton of room to grow. Plus, Kemba is arguably an upgrade over Kyrie, and worst case scenario, Hayward becomes an expiring contract next summer, so there's flexibility next offseason to add another piece.

Bottom line, I don't think you can judge Ainge's performance as GM just yet. Let's see how this whole thing pans out in 4-5 years. By then if he hasn't built a contending team that's made a few runs to the finals, I'm comfortable saying the guy was unsuccessful.

Not sure I agree with the bolded. I think they'll both be in similar positions in the east, but it would not surprise me for the Nets to finish ahead of them.

WaDe03
07-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Ainge wouldíve been fired by me after he skipped out on Kawhi Pg and Jimmy and settled for Kyrie.

mightybosstone
07-26-2019, 09:59 PM
Not sure I agree with the bolded. I think they'll both be in similar positions in the east, but it would not surprise me for the Nets to finish ahead of them.

Why not? Look at the two roster without Durantócan you really make a great argument that the Nets are more talented on paper? I'm not saying it's impossible for the Nets to finish higher in the standings, but on paper, I'm not sure there's a great argument to be made for Brooklyn being the more talented basketball team. The Vegas over/under odds right now agree with meóthey've got Boston at 48.5 wins and Brooklyn at 46.5. Feel free to check some preseason power rankings, but I'm willing to bet most of those would favor the Celtics as well.

And I'm not especially high on that Boston team either. In terms of talent, I'd probably put them 4th in the East right now. But I also think Brooklyn was a .500 basketball team last season and basically swapped its best player for a player who's not exponentially better at the same position and added DeAndre Jordan.

More-Than-Most
07-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Ainge wouldíve been fired by me after he skipped out on Kawhi Pg and Jimmy and settled for Kyrie.

boom dont hit them with the hard truth

rc33
07-29-2019, 10:47 PM
The Nets trade was going just fine up until he traded for Irving. That turned out to be a step back for the growth of the team. And not single one of you criticized Ainge for making that trade at the time. It just...didn't...work.
With Fultz being dealt that trade is now final; Boston ends up getting Jayson Tatum and Romeo Langford while Philly got Jonathan Simmons and 3 second round picks. Another big mistake by Ainge, I suppose...

TrueFan420
07-29-2019, 11:26 PM

Become? Itís been.

crewfan13
07-30-2019, 12:09 AM
The thing is PG, AD and Kawhi were unlikely to resign in Boston. Kyrie seemed like he wanted to so he was the guy they made the move for. They also gave up very little for him when it's all said and done. Plus the Hayward injury completely killed them too. Kyrie and pre injury Hayward plus tatum and/or brown and picks is better than say just PG.

And it's really easy to look back now and say the kawhi thing was obvious, especially since Toronto won a ring. But Toronto only wins a ring because GS got injured. If GS is healthy, they likely win handily over anyone last year. So let's say Ainge traded for kawhi, lost in the finals or maybe even before then and kawhi left. We'd still have a thread that he's a moron for giving up assets for a one year rental.

I'm not saying Ainge isn't overrated, but unfortunately not everything can be judged with hindsight and be results based. Ainge has done a pretty good job since he took over. His draft hit rate has been good. Generally speaking, his trades have been good. He just hasn't gotten the full results of a ring yet. That doesn't mean he's a bad GM.

Ahriman
07-30-2019, 04:14 AM
Let's not forget that Ainge got a 1st from MEM for Jeff Green lmao
Protected 1-6 in 2020, unprotected in 2021

I think he's pretty damn good at what he does, he just didn't want to take a flyer on one of PG / KL / Buckets
Considering how the Kyrie experience turned out, one can expect the Buckets trade would have backfired as well
KL would have left without guarantee they win it all
PG could have worked, considering he stayed in OKC, but I think Ainge is huge on Tatum

The Hayward signing was great for them, but terrible luck screwed them over
For Kyrie they haven't given much besides Sexton

Boston is still in great shape, most teams would love to have him as GM

JAZZNC
07-30-2019, 05:53 AM
He's not the best maybe but he's far from the damn worst. I honestly think that people overrated the Nets trade. I mean it was just draft picks. That's not a guarantee of anything. I mean maybe one of these guys everyone says he should have traded for stays and they win one but it's highly unlikely. I wouldn't give you a sack of rotten onions for Jimmy Butler so no brainier there and I just think it takes some HUGE nuts to trade for Kawhi. People will inevitably refer to Toronto but let's not act like that wasn't a once in a lifetime set of circumstances that led to that title. PG might have made sense but does he stay?? Just play the long game and try to draft well. There's still deals to be made. And losing who should have been arguably your second best player that you signed to a max....that hurts bad and that's no fault of his. Ainge is pretty damn solid. I just think people saw all the draft picks in that Nets trade and feel like he instantly was gonna just run the league in a few years or it's a failure.

crewfan13
07-30-2019, 11:36 AM
He's not the best maybe but he's far from the damn worst. I honestly think that people overrated the Nets trade. I mean it was just draft picks. That's not a guarantee of anything. I mean maybe one of these guys everyone says he should have traded for stays and they win one but it's highly unlikely. I wouldn't give you a sack of rotten onions for Jimmy Butler so no brainier there and I just think it takes some HUGE nuts to trade for Kawhi. People will inevitably refer to Toronto but let's not act like that wasn't a once in a lifetime set of circumstances that led to that title. PG might have made sense but does he stay?? Just play the long game and try to draft well. There's still deals to be made. And losing who should have been arguably your second best player that you signed to a max....that hurts bad and that's no fault of his. Ainge is pretty damn solid. I just think people saw all the draft picks in that Nets trade and feel like he instantly was gonna just run the league in a few years or it's a failure.

I don't think that people overrated the nets deal. It was a phenomenal deal. In most these deals where there's pick swaps and future lightly protected or unprotected picks, the guys being traded are at least youngish. As long as AD and PG stay with their LA teams, those teams are likely to at worst he borderline playoff teams for most of the duration of the pick swaps and trades. But he dealt guys that were legit expected to retire within a year or two and got those swaps. That's a great deal.

But the expectation out of it are nuts. And that's what this world has become for sports. If you don't win a ring you're bad at your job and i just don't agree with that.

The best team doesnt always win in sports. If we replay last season 100 times, toronto doesn't win 100 times. I'd argue that toronto may not even win 20 times. GS probably wins a bunch of times. There are probably a few scenarios where Houston, Milwaukee and Philly each win a few times. Out of 100, I'm even thinking there's a chance Portland or Denver wins a time or two. But that's how sports go. Toronto won. Toronto gets to hang the banner. But now we judge every move as if that was a forgone conclusion.

And that's how Boston should be viewed. They gave themselves a few decent chances. Injuries really hurt them. But they still have assets. Heck, theres still a decent chance they get a great pick, maybe top 5 from Memphis in 2021 to pair with tatum and brown, who are still young. Their window is far from closed. They've taken decent chances to build teams that should have competed if not for injuries without completely selling out for a one year rental. That's a pretty good job by management.

JAZZNC
07-31-2019, 12:30 AM
I don't think that people overrated the nets deal. It was a phenomenal deal. In most these deals where there's pick swaps and future lightly protected or unprotected picks, the guys being traded are at least youngish. As long as AD and PG stay with their LA teams, those teams are likely to at worst he borderline playoff teams for most of the duration of the pick swaps and trades. But he dealt guys that were legit expected to retire within a year or two and got those swaps. That's a great deal.

But the expectation out of it are nuts. And that's what this world has become for sports. If you don't win a ring you're bad at your job and i just don't agree with that.

The best team doesnt always win in sports. If we replay last season 100 times, toronto doesn't win 100 times. I'd argue that toronto may not even win 20 times. GS probably wins a bunch of times. There are probably a few scenarios where Houston, Milwaukee and Philly each win a few times. Out of 100, I'm even thinking there's a chance Portland or Denver wins a time or two. But that's how sports go. Toronto won. Toronto gets to hang the banner. But now we judge every move as if that was a forgone conclusion.

And that's how Boston should be viewed. They gave themselves a few decent chances. Injuries really hurt them. But they still have assets. Heck, theres still a decent chance they get a great pick, maybe top 5 from Memphis in 2021 to pair with tatum and brown, who are still young. Their window is far from closed. They've taken decent chances to build teams that should have competed if not for injuries without completely selling out for a one year rental. That's a pretty good job by management.

Yeah, I guess I should have worded it differently. It's not that people overrated the trade it's that they expected it to lead to automatic championships. I agree with everything you've said here, excellent post!

IMO I think Brad Stevens is more overrated than Ainge is. He's a good coach no doubt but he's not a top 3 coach in the league like some think. I mean I think (maybe some homerism) Snyder is a better coach than Stevens.

LeonFSU
07-31-2019, 02:04 PM
Why not? Look at the two roster without Durantócan you really make a great argument that the Nets are more talented on paper? I'm not saying it's impossible for the Nets to finish higher in the standings, but on paper, I'm not sure there's a great argument to be made for Brooklyn being the more talented basketball team. The Vegas over/under odds right now agree with meóthey've got Boston at 48.5 wins and Brooklyn at 46.5. Feel free to check some preseason power rankings, but I'm willing to bet most of those would favor the Celtics as well.

And I'm not especially high on that Boston team either. In terms of talent, I'd probably put them 4th in the East right now. But I also think Brooklyn was a .500 basketball team last season and basically swapped its best player for a player who's not exponentially better at the same position and added DeAndre Jordan.
I think Brooklyn got better even without Durant and Boston got worse. Boston lost Horford and Morris and havenít really replaced them. Brooklyn should be significantly better just by having Levert to start the year.

rc33
07-31-2019, 11:03 PM
I think Brooklyn got better even without Durant and Boston got worse. Boston lost Horford and Morris and havenít really replaced them. Brooklyn should be significantly better just by having Levert to start the year.

LOL. Brooklyn just lost their best player.

JAZZNC
08-01-2019, 12:24 AM

And replaced him with Kyrie who I think most would agree is a better player and eventually they will get KD. They're probably in a better spot than Boston at this point.

unleashthebeast
08-01-2019, 10:48 AM

What a terrible take this is lol

crewfan13
08-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have worded it differently. It's not that people overrated the trade it's that they expected it to lead to automatic championships. I agree with everything you've said here, excellent post!

IMO I think Brad Stevens is more overrated than Ainge is. He's a good coach no doubt but he's not a top 3 coach in the league like some think. I mean I think (maybe some homerism) Snyder is a better coach than Stevens.

I would agree on Stevens. After their ECF run without kyrie and Hayward, there were legit people arguing there were only a handful of players they'd take over Steven's when building a team.

I think that talk has backed off and he's probably closer to properly rated now, but he did get some unnecessary love.

cmellofan15
08-02-2019, 12:13 AM
Gotta disagree with the premise of this thread...who are we really saying is better than Danny Ainge and why? I've got 1 or 2 guys I might take instead, but that's it.

He's done a great job scouting and recruiting players in this new player empowerment era. Of course he's missed a few times, but every GM has, and he's recovering from losing his two best players better than any team I've seen.

rc33
08-02-2019, 02:29 PM
What a terrible take this is lol

Are you 9 years old?
Enlighten me on your feeble take, skippy?
Yes or no, did Brooklyn just lose D. Russell?

Oh and good luck with Irving...

VCaintdead17
08-02-2019, 09:12 PM

Boy this is just way off base. There's not a single thing that D'lo can do that Kyrie isn't better at. They've definitely gotten better.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-03-2019, 10:04 AM
One thing Ainge did right was not trade them 4 or 5 or 6 picks for Frank Kaminsky. Michael Jordan dropped the ball on that one. Go figure.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Absoutely rapes the nets in a trade & the nets are a bigger contender before the celtics. holy ****ing ****.

Really... what's wrong with you mate? Have you some brain sickness or something similar?

The man did his job perfect, landed a crew that all thought was something special in the 17-18 season... The key players got injured and only made it to the ECF and then thought to have another run this season (after his injured players got healthy), but didn't count on the Bucks pumping up... He did things right, but lost... He doesn't have Giannis you know... He tries his best as all other teams do... He also did his best this off-season...

Sooooooo... really now, what's wrong with you?

Have you some brain sickness or something similar?

Laker Legend42
08-09-2019, 03:26 AM
I donít know if heís overrated I just think heís trying to protect the Celtics from what happened to them in the 90ís in to the 2,000ís. In the 90ís the Celtics held on to theyíre aging stars way too long. Larry bird with the bad back and everyone else was injured or flat out old. Then to top it off the next two stars that were supposed to carry the franchise forward both die. Len bias and then Reggie Lewis. That sent the Celtics into a tailspin with years of losing. Danny ainge I believe is trying to prevent that from ever happening again. The bad part is the NBA (fixed) gods wonít allow that. You canít be a top team and get top picks. I think he has overvalued picks instead of moving them to a team that needed them in return for players who can get you to the top now. There is no way you can build for the future and contend for a championship at the same time. The NBA(fixed) gods wonít allow it. Itís hard for me to give any credit to the Celtics but heís not a bad Gm. To me his real issue is I think the Celtics actually have too much perimeter talent and heís not willing to part with any of it. I heard a lot of people talk about Tatumís numbers being down. That happened because you gotta make room and give minutes to the other guys who basically play the same position.so nobody gets the minutes to really get things going. F the celtics😹

Laker Legend42
08-09-2019, 03:30 AM

Youíre wrong because Kd tore his achilles.

Laker Legend42
08-09-2019, 03:32 AM

You never gave any reasons on why you think heís overrated. Also. You canít give the nets any credit here. Itís not like they built this. Never mind the fact that they never even talked to kd. They found out he was coming when the world did. In this world of free agency now entire teams are built through free agency. I can give credit to Danny ainge because there are a lot of DRAFT picks on that team.

rc33
08-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Itís hard for me to give any credit to the Celtics but heís not a bad Gm. To me his real issue is I think the Celtics actually have too much perimeter talent and heís not willing to part with any of it. I heard a lot of people talk about Tatumís numbers being down. That happened because you gotta make room and give minutes to the other guys who basically play the same position.so nobody gets the minutes to really get things going. F the celtics😹
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing is, going into last season everything was going great. Ainge made the Kyrie trade (which no one here called a bad deal) and it just didn't work out. A concern going into last season was "too many mouths to feed" and that turned out to be a bigger issue than thought. I always believed they'd be able to work it out but it simply didn't happen. Marcus Morris, a good player on the last year of his deal and headed to free agency, was also a complicating factor.
But the biggest issue was Tatum, Brown and Rozier, young guys coming off a highly surprising 19-game postseason run the previous season. Now you have to mix in an All Star PG and your $32M-a-year free agent who played only 5 minutes the year before. Much of the season looked like "OK, my turn now" basketball.
It was a massive disappointment, no doubt. But I still think Stevens is a quality Coach and Ainge a quality GM.
And last I checked, some of the blame for trainwreck that was 2018-19 has to go on the players, along with the coach and GM. IMO, they'll almost certainly be better team this year via addition by subtraction. Obviously, Irving had to go and Morris as well. The young guys get to clear their heads and start all over again. And Hayward is now 2 years removed from his injury, and that's a big deal.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Celtics lost a ton of depth in the front court. According to twitter the Celtics starting line up maybe Walker,Brown,Hayward,Tatum,Kanter.

Vee-Rex
08-13-2019, 10:00 AM
Itís hard for me to give any credit to the Celtics but heís not a bad Gm. To me his real issue is I think the Celtics actually have too much perimeter talent and heís not willing to part with any of it. I heard a lot of people talk about Tatumís numbers being down. That happened because you gotta make room and give minutes to the other guys who basically play the same position.so nobody gets the minutes to really get things going. F the celtics😹
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The thing is, going into last season everything was going great. Ainge made the Kyrie trade (which no one here called a bad deal) and it just didn't work out. A concern going into last season was "too many mouths to feed" and that turned out to be a bigger issue than thought. I always believed they'd be able to work it out but it simply didn't happen. Marcus Morris, a good player on the last year of his deal and headed to free agency, was also a complicating factor.
But the biggest issue was Tatum, Brown and Rozier, young guys coming off a highly surprising 19-game postseason run the previous season. Now you have to mix in an All Star PG and your $32M-a-year free agent who played only 5 minutes the year before. Much of the season looked like "OK, my turn now" basketball.
It was a massive disappointment, no doubt. But I still think Stevens is a quality Coach and Ainge a quality GM.
And last I checked, some of the blame for trainwreck that was 2018-19 has to go on the players, along with the coach and GM. IMO, they'll almost certainly be better team this year via addition by subtraction. Obviously, Irving had to go and Morris as well. The young guys get to clear their heads and start all over again. And Hayward is now 2 years removed from his injury, and that's a big deal.

Very well said.

I think the Ainge criticism is made because of how incredible his haul of assets were. If we're going to praise him for robbing the Nets, we also have to evaluate what he does with the assets gained. And so far, it has been a bit underwhelming (obviously not all his fault - injuries played a role). Ainge isn't perfect and I've probably spent more time criticizing him than praising but he's still a damn good GM.

As I said earlier this year, I do think the Hayward/Brown/Tatum grouping needs a little adjustment. Too many outside shots. Kyrie was the best player on the team - you gotta kind of live with him trying to get his at times. You can't also have everyone else jacking up the same kind of shots. Kemba is gonna play well with the ball in his hands and you gotta accept that he'll be taking some deep, outside shots as well. He's the best player on the team. The other players need to complement that, not create more redundancy by doing the same things.

PAOboston
08-14-2019, 08:55 AM
Very well said.

I think the Ainge criticism is made because of how incredible his haul of assets were. If we're going to praise him for robbing the Nets, we also have to evaluate what he does with the assets gained. And so far, it has been a bit underwhelming (obviously not all his fault - injuries played a role). Ainge isn't perfect and I've probably spent more time criticizing him than praising but he's still a damn good GM.

As I said earlier this year, I do think the Hayward/Brown/Tatum grouping needs a little adjustment. Too many outside shots. Kyrie was the best player on the team - you gotta kind of live with him trying to get his at times. You can't also have everyone else jacking up the same kind of shots. Kemba is gonna play well with the ball in his hands and you gotta accept that he'll be taking some deep, outside shots as well. He's the best player on the team. The other players need to complement that, not create more redundancy by doing the same things.

I will add that Kemba and Kyrie are different type of scorers. Kemba gets to the line more often than Kyrie. I loved Kyrieís offensive skill set but he was allergic to the ft line.

I think a really big issue last year were the games of Rozier and Morris. Those guys demanded shots. Irving got his but heís the #1 guy so not gonna fault him. Getting rid of several of the bigger ďmouths to feedĒ allows extra shots to the guys who should get them: Walker/Brown/Tatum/Hayward.

My big fear is half the roster is like rookies and second year players. Lots of inexperience.

As for Ainge, he gets more flack than he should. Heís a good GM and probably in the upper echelon in the league. Heís had more hits than misses. Book is still open on this version of the Cs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MILLERHIGHLIFE
10-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Looks like Brown's value dipped a bit now. Looks like Ainge was late again to cash in on a asset. Brown wants the max. Ainge doesn't wanna pay up. I agree though Brown isn't worth it. But i'm sure some other team with a max cap slot will maybe consider it and force Ainge's hand when time comes.

More-Than-Most
10-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Looks like Brown's value dipped a bit now. Looks like Ainge was late again to cash in on a asset. Brown wants the max. Ainge doesn't wanna pay up. I agree though Brown isn't worth it. But i'm sure some other team with a max cap slot will maybe consider it and force Ainge's hand when time comes.

yup they either lose him for nothing/overpay or trade him for 10 cents on the dollar... this is what happens when a GM doesnt have a set of balls and takes no risk

TakeAnotherL
10-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Danny is a great gm, but he became too obsessed with assets, and didn't strike when the iron was hot.

He had so many options its ridiculous, but he couldn't pull the trigger.

But he did maybe draft one the biggest steals of the draft, so he still got it.

Giannis94
10-02-2019, 09:34 PM
Danny is a great gm, but he became too obsessed with assets, and didn't strike when the iron was hot.

He had so many options its ridiculous, but he couldn't pull the trigger.

But he did maybe draft one the biggest steals of the draft, so he still got it.

Wrong. he's not a good GM. He hasn't done much with the assets he's had. He's kinda just given these assets stand idol and do nothing while also giving away a major opportunity to build a dynasty. and this after the nets pulled an obama (albeit not to the tune of $150 billion given away- just two draft picks) which set him up so well

ChongInc.
10-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Did not expect the 76ers to be better than the Celtics, and did not expect the raptors to win a championship before the Celtics won another one. Couldnít be happier.

Hope we win another one before the clippers do.

hugepatsfan
10-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
KG
Kawhi
Curry
Lebron
Durant
Dirk

Every team except the one outlier Pistons team thatís won a championship was led by one of those players. All are top 20-30 (at least) players of all time.

Aingeís ďfailureĒ as a GM is that he only was able to land one of those guys. And KG hurt his knee in year 2 so while he was still good he wasnít up to that level beyond his first year in Boston.

We can talk about this and that but at the end of the day if youíre a GM trying to be a championship team those are the players you need. Everything else is just **** to chatter about.

The big criticism of Ainge I think has to be Kawhi. Considering Kawhiís injury status, contract situation and the long term value of what BOS would have given up, you can certainly see Aingeís viewpoint on not making a deal. But the reality was he was wrong. Should have made that deal.

Other than that, I think heís done an exceptional job overall. You can point to misses but if anyone is a GM for 15 years. Philosophically he doesnít tank which Iím fine with as a fan. They had that one year where their three best players all got hurt so they went from playoff contender to tanking mid-season but other than that they donít tank so he rarely picks high. Giannis is the one generational talent he passed over. He generally drafts well and gets good value based on draft slot. In free agency he landed Horford and Hayward which were huge gets. He seemed to do an excellent job in the recruiting of Durant and I think they finished closer than people expected them to in landing him.

If Ainge were in a city that generational stars more often wanted to be in when it comes to demanding trades or free agency then heíd have rings on rings IMO with how well he manages rosters and builds talent through shrewd trades and non lottery picks. Iím very grateful he has Celtic pride from his playing days and chooses to stay here.

TakeAnotherL
10-05-2019, 03:24 PM
Wrong. he's not a good GM. He hasn't done much with the assets he's had. He's kinda just given these assets stand idol and do nothing while also giving away a major opportunity to build a dynasty. and this after the nets pulled an obama (albeit not to the tune of $150 billion given away- just two draft picks) which set him up so well

Had hayward not got injured, and had kyrie not decided to act like a total ****, we may talking about this a whole lot differently.

crewfan13
10-05-2019, 10:01 PM
Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
Wade
KG
Kawhi
Curry
Lebron
Durant
Dirk

Every team except the one outlier Pistons team thatís won a championship was led by one of those players. All are top 20-30 (at least) players of all time.

Aingeís ďfailureĒ as a GM is that he only was able to land one of those guys. And KG hurt his knee in year 2 so while he was still good he wasnít up to that level beyond his first year in Boston.

We can talk about this and that but at the end of the day if youíre a GM trying to be a championship team those are the players you need. Everything else is just **** to chatter about.

The big criticism of Ainge I think has to be Kawhi. Considering Kawhiís injury status, contract situation and the long term value of what BOS would have given up, you can certainly see Aingeís viewpoint on not making a deal. But the reality was he was wrong. Should have made that deal.

Other than that, I think heís done an exceptional job overall. You can point to misses but if anyone is a GM for 15 years. Philosophically he doesnít tank which Iím fine with as a fan. They had that one year where their three best players all got hurt so they went from playoff contender to tanking mid-season but other than that they donít tank so he rarely picks high. Giannis is the one generational talent he passed over. He generally drafts well and gets good value based on draft slot. In free agency he landed Horford and Hayward which were huge gets. He seemed to do an excellent job in the recruiting of Durant and I think they finished closer than people expected them to in landing him.

If Ainge were in a city that generational stars more often wanted to be in when it comes to demanding trades or free agency then heíd have rings on rings IMO with how well he manages rosters and builds talent through shrewd trades and non lottery picks. Iím very grateful he has Celtic pride from his playing days and chooses to stay here.

And not to undersell what toronto did by any means, but if GS stays healthy it could be an entirely different story. I love what Toronto did and I said it all last offseason. Toronto was an aging team stuck in purgatory. One of the main assets they gave up was a guy who had shown Toronto that they couldn't win with in derozan. And the other two pieces were a nice young player and a likely badish first rounder. It was a good deal for Toronto to try. Even if it failed, they were basically just expediting the inevitable rebuild.

But from that note, I get why other teams were hesitant to make that move, especially if it's a guy who legit van be part of your next contender, which is what san antonio was probably asking for kawhi. And it's easy to look back with hindsight and say it's a no brainer. But at the time, we really didn't know what kawhi was. Was he going to be healthy? Was he going to be motivated? Was he still the same guy? We can pretend we knew, but at the time we really had no clue.