PDA

View Full Version : Most improved player predictions

WaDe03
07-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Who do you all think will win most improved player or who are some guys you think will be in the running?

I think the following will be in the running:

Bam
Bagley
Fultz (darkhorse)
Tatum
Lonzo

Bam will now be a starter and his numbers should jump quite a bit, he will also show heís an elite defender and Miami will have a good seed in the playoffs.

Bagley I think has very high potential and I think heíll tap on to it very early. He needs more minutes and should get them this year.

Fultz has been garbage so far but I also donít feel like a 15-5-5 season as a starter is out of the question for a player of his skill set. Heís basically been a 0 so far so that would be a huge improvement.

Tatum will be much more involved with no Kyrie and Horford now I will say, also looking for him to take that 3rd year jump like a few of the others on this list.

Lonzo should have a lot more freedom now, health I would say is the main concern. If they decide to trade Jrue his chances get even better.

WaDe03
07-23-2019, 02:14 PM
Forgot SGA. Depending on his role he could he in the conversation. I think as is OKC will be better than theyíre getting credit for.

Vee-Rex
07-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Time to put on the homer goggles.

The Young Bull. Started the season off rough being a rookie but post all-star break he averaged:

21.ppg, 48%FG, 41%3PT, 58.5%TS, 55%EFG

And even better numbers in March + April. It also looks like he could have the rare but highly sought-after clutch gene - ask Rox fans. They tried to put Harden on him but had to hide him on someone else after the Young Bull was smoking him.

LeonFSU
07-23-2019, 02:58 PM
Caris Levert, Kevon Looney? Zach Collins? Adebayo's also a good guess, but hard to predict.

warfelg
07-23-2019, 04:06 PM
Bam will now be a starter and his numbers should jump quite a bit, he will also show heís an elite defender and Miami will have a good seed in the playoffs.

Historically, just going to the starting lineup isn't enough to change the player to be most improved. I think it could bump him up in all-defensive standings. Most improved typically goes to a guy with a big advanced numbers jump or coming off injury.

Bagley I think has very high potential and I think heíll tap on to it very early. He needs more minutes and should get them this year.

Bagley has the same thing that Bam has. More minutes alone won't be the key to MIP.

Fultz has been garbage so far but I also donít feel like a 15-5-5 season as a starter is out of the question for a player of his skill set. Heís basically been a 0 so far so that would be a huge improvement.

I wouldn't be optimistic in it.

Tatum will be much more involved with no Kyrie and Horford now I will say, also looking for him to take that 3rd year jump like a few of the others on this list.

If his increase in role includes more efficient production, I think that he could be on tap for this award.

Lonzo should have a lot more freedom now, health I would say is the main concern. If they decide to trade Jrue his chances get even better.

I think the roadblock to Lonzo is Jrue and JJ.

I think some guys that can show up on this list at the end of the year:
John Collins, Ben Simmons, Jaylon Brown, SGA, Montrez Harrell, Lonnie Walker.

kdspurman
07-23-2019, 04:25 PM
Historically, just going to the starting lineup isn't enough to change the player to be most improved. I think it could bump him up in all-defensive standings. Most improved typically goes to a guy with a big advanced numbers jump or coming off injury.

Bagley has the same thing that Bam has. More minutes alone won't be the key to MIP.

I wouldn't be optimistic in it.

If his increase in role includes more efficient production, I think that he could be on tap for this award.

I think the roadblock to Lonzo is Jrue and JJ.

I think some guys that can show up on this list at the end of the year:
John Collins, Ben Simmons, Jaylon Brown, SGA, Montrez Harrell, Lonnie Walker.

:speechless: I think that's the first time I've seen someone mention him on here other than me haha

For SA, Walker was one of the guys for sure, but also Murray is someone who the team has really high expectations for.

If Simmons gets that jumpshot going for him consistently, he'd be an interesting pick

Rivera
07-23-2019, 04:27 PM
me personally, i hate that 2nd year guys can be considered for the award. Thats just a me thing. I know it doesnt mean anything to the actual vote, but I hate 2nd year players who get consideration for the MIP award. They should be improving in there 2nd year from their rookie year. We should see what this player could really become in year 2. I am okay with giving the player to someone in year 3 though. Again thats a ME preference (not that it matters in the grand scheme)

With that being said:

I love the Lonzo pick. Lonzo could be a contender for sure.

Caris Levert is another good choice I saw up there, I could see Kyrie getting in his way to win it, but he has a great shot

Ben is not a bad pick either. He should have more offensive responsibility with Jimmy gone, and hopefully the improved jump shot we see on IG videos from this summer, hopefully that will translate into the game where he isnt afraid to take a jump shot.

I like the Tatum pick as well, if he leaps into superstardom he can win it for sure.

Ill give you one outside the box pick. Bryn Forbes. He was pretty good in the postseason last year and he should have a bigger role this season

WaDe03
07-23-2019, 04:34 PM
I wanted to pick one of the Spurs young guards but wasnít sure which to pick so left them off but I see people mentioning now lol

Warfelg I like your picks but Iím not sure on Harrell since he was in the running for 6MOY last year I think he kind of already has his name out there and in that regard already improved a ton.

I see Collins bring mentioned. Heís already put up pretty big numbers but if the Hawks are really good and heís elite on both sides then I guess he could definitely win. Iíve seen a lot of people say Collins is Bam if Bam was given the same opportunities but I think theyíre different. I think Bam is unique on both sides. Iíve watched video of him locking up the best players on the perimeter and I like his offensive versatility when it comes to passing and everything on that end. I honestly think heís a freak of nature in some ways so weíre going to find out here soon.

warfelg
07-23-2019, 04:44 PM
I wanted to pick one of the Spurs young guards but wasnít sure which to pick so left them off but I see people mentioning now lol[/QUORE]

For me its easier to say Walker since Murray is coming off injury. I'm not a fan of guys off injury being MIP eligible.

[QUOTE=WaDe03;33065301]Warfelg I like your picks but Iím not sure on Harrell since he was in the running for 6MOY last year I think he kind of already has his name out there and in that regard already improved a ton.

I think Harrell is going to be more efficient and have more rebounds playing with guys like PG and Kawhi. He's going to be in considerations for a few things being around them.

I see Collins bring mentioned. Heís already put up pretty big numbers but if the Hawks are really good and heís elite on both sides then I guess he could definitely win. Iíve seen a lot of people say Collins is Bam if Bam was given the same opportunities but I think theyíre different. I think Bam is unique on both sides. Iíve watched video of him locking up the best players on the perimeter and I like his offensive versatility when it comes to passing and everything on that end. I honestly think heís a freak of nature in some ways so weíre going to find out here soon.

I bring up Collins because I think that the Hawks could be a surprise team in the east, and he might be the reason why more so than Trae Young.

warfelg
07-23-2019, 04:46 PM
:speechless: I think that's the first time I've seen someone mention him on here other than me haha

For SA, Walker was one of the guys for sure, but also Murray is someone who the team has really high expectations for.

If Simmons gets that jumpshot going for him consistently, he'd be an interesting pick

I really like his skillset. As for Murray, as I said in the response to Wade....I think that his coming off an injury shouldn't really be considered. I do think that the NBA should do most improved and comeback player, and designated MIP as having 50% of the season played, comeback as less than 50%.

kdspurman
07-23-2019, 04:51 PM
I really like his skillset. As for Murray, as I said in the response to Wade....I think that his coming off an injury shouldn't really be considered. I do think that the NBA should do most improved and comeback player, and designated MIP as having 50% of the season played, comeback as less than 50%.

Fair point. Walker has all the right tools to be very good, I'm excited for him to get his chance. Probably has the highest ceiling of all the young guys

WaDe03
07-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Do we have enough injured players from year to year to really have a comeback player of the year though? I wouldnít mind it but like who would be in the running this coming season? I do feel like we have more injuries now than usual.

IndyRealist
07-23-2019, 05:14 PM
If Fultz plays, that's more of an improvement than anyone else could make.

Except maybe Amare

aman_13
07-23-2019, 05:24 PM
Watch out for Thomas Bryant.

pebloemer
07-23-2019, 05:26 PM
Love the John Collins pick. He is primed for a breakout year IOM.

Someone on Charlotte is bound to get more usage and minutes now. I wonder about Monk and Bridges, if either have a strong adjustment. I don't always love just giving it to guys who just get the ball more though.

A guy who I thought made some big strides last year and has some strong potential is Jonathan Isaac. Defense is already really strong and his shot has been looking a bit better. He is someone who could put things together some year (could it be this one?)

Spurs have always been a good place for players to develop. A guy who I liked a lot in Toronto that could blossom in SA is Poeltl. He had already been starting for them at season's end and has a high BBIQ with a good touch around the basket.

bucketss
07-23-2019, 05:36 PM
last year i said siakam as my homer pick MIP,im gonna take taurean prince this year.homer pick norman powell

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?940310-2018-2019-Predictions&p=32601352#post32601352

VCaintdead17
07-23-2019, 10:38 PM
Second year players pretty much never win MIP so count Bagley out

Tg11
07-24-2019, 11:40 AM
Lonzo Ball especially now that he is in New Orleans in a new situation in a new environment but also LeVert of the Nets is also my pick. Darkhorse picks for me are Lonnie Walker of the Spurs, De Andre Ayton of the Suns, Mo Bamba of the Orlando Magic, John Collins of the Atlanta Hawks or Jayson Tatum of the Celtics are my picks.

warfelg
07-24-2019, 11:44 AM
I'm a little curious for the people that say second year players shouldn't be eligible....why?

WaDe03
07-24-2019, 11:58 AM
I'm a little curious for the people that say second year players shouldn't be eligible....why?

Yea I donít get it either, Fox almost won last year. If Bagley averages 20-10 next year he should definitely be in the running.

MygirlhatesCod
07-24-2019, 03:34 PM
I really wanna believe it will be boogie. Only reason I hesitate is because I feel like he is gonna get hurt again and I really hope I'm wrong. if he stays healthy he will win MIP.

WaDe03
07-24-2019, 04:01 PM
I really wanna believe it will be boogie. Only reason I hesitate is because I feel like he is gonna get hurt again and I really hope I'm wrong. if he stays healthy he will win MIP.

But will they give it to a player who was at a top 10 level at one point even with his situation? He didnít really improve heís just getting back to his ways if thatís the case. I donít think he will even be in the discussion.

Heediot
07-24-2019, 06:20 PM
OG Anunoby will improve a lot. Hopefully enough to be in the conversation. He is going to get a bigger role and more minutes.

Tg11
07-24-2019, 09:04 PM
How about Jamal Murray or Gary Harris of the Nuggets

buckalis
07-25-2019, 05:02 AM
OG Anunoby will improve a lot. Hopefully enough to be in the conversation. He is going to get a bigger role and more minutes.

Agree on Anunoby, Okogie is another one to watch, Christian Wood of the Pistons and Sterling Brown of the Bucks too...

Tg11
07-25-2019, 05:31 AM
Brandon Ingram is another candidate for Most Improved especially now that he too is also in New Orleans or another candidate: Dejounte Murray of the Spurs. Or how about Jaren Jackson, Jr of the Memphis Grizzlies?

MygirlhatesCod
07-25-2019, 11:56 AM
But will they give it to a player who was at a top 10 level at one point even with his situation? He didnít really improve heís just getting back to his ways if thatís the case. I donít think he will even be in the discussion.

I think with the way he played last year and the belief that he wont come back to form will give him a chance. a lot of people have written him off. just look at the contract he signed. he has zero value right now so if he shows up its in the bag.

Saddletramp
07-26-2019, 04:48 AM
Time to put on the homer goggles.

The Young Bull. Started the season off rough being a rookie but post all-star break he averaged:

21.ppg, 48%FG, 41%3PT, 58.5%TS, 55%EFG

And even better numbers in March + April. It also looks like he could have the rare but highly sought-after clutch gene - ask Rox fans. They tried to put Harden on him but had to hide him on someone else after the Young Bull was smoking him.

I have no idea who youíre talking about. Did I miss this game?

Edit: Googled. The Rockets started the year out rough and were missing Chris Paul. Harden did put up 40 (while Sexton put up 29) he just didnít have any help. The other game? Sexton put up 14/5/3 while Harden put up 43/12/10 in a 28 point blowout.

So yeah, Sexton could win MIP because, well, heís got a lot to improve. 🤠😜😎

Iron24th
07-26-2019, 05:25 AM
Terry Rozier is my pick, he'll have the green light to take all the shots he wants @charlotte.

Tg11
07-26-2019, 07:08 AM
Rozier is another candidate out there in Charlotte

VCaintdead17
07-27-2019, 04:41 PM

I think the general spirit of the award is to give recognition to guys who's breakout was either unexpected or a long time coming. Most second year guys have a certain level of expectation to improve.

WaDe03
07-28-2019, 03:00 PM
I think the general spirit of the award is to give recognition to guys who's breakout was either unexpected or a long time coming. Most second year guys have a certain level of expectation to improve.

Good point, they get the feel for the game and league that first year and then know how to prepare for year 2 much better.

beasted86
07-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Markelle Fults and Lonnie Walker should not be considered for MIP. Guys who only played 19 games/ 17 games respectively are bound to improve.

WolfPackNWO
07-28-2019, 06:15 PM
Brandon Ingram is the first name that comes to mind. I still think thereís a chance he could become a star.

East- Collin Sexton, John Collins, Jaylen Brown, Bam Adebayo, Lauri Markkenan, Myles Turner, Jarrett Allen

West- Jaren Jackson Jr., Marvin Bagley, Kevin Looney, Dejounte Murray, Lonzo Ball

WestCoastSportz
07-30-2019, 02:34 PM
I guy I think will vastly improve is Jabari Parker. He's sort been forgotten since his ACL injury, but has looked better and better each year he's been back. He'll be entering his 6th season and is still only 24 years old. I think he'll get plenty of run in Atlanta and will be a 20 point, 7 rebound type of player. Possibly even an All-Star.

Tg11
07-30-2019, 03:23 PM
Even though I'm a really big Raptors hater I will say OG Anunoby has a case for becoming Most Improved or even Norm Powell or Fred Van Vleet especially if they end up getting more playing time

WaDe03
07-30-2019, 04:52 PM
I guy I think will vastly improve is Jabari Parker. He's sort been forgotten since his ACL injury, but has looked better and better each year he's been back. He'll be entering his 6th season and is still only 24 years old. I think he'll get plenty of run in Atlanta and will be a 20 point, 7 rebound type of player. Possibly even an All-Star.

Thatís a good one, forgot about him but he has to stay healthy.