PDA

View Full Version : FIBA World championship Thread

Pages : [1] 2

buckalis
07-22-2019, 06:03 PM
Latest news is that E. Gordon, C.J McCollum and James Harden have withdrawn from the USA team...

Here is the latest odds...

https://m.nicerodds.co.uk/basketball-world-cup

Interesting that Greece which has beaten Serbia without Giannis in the qualification games, is suggested only 4th, with Serbia 2nd to team USA...

IndyRealist
07-22-2019, 06:08 PM
As well as Anthony Davis and Bradley Beal.

Heediot
07-22-2019, 06:15 PM
Latest news is that E. Gordon, C.J McCollum and James Harden have withdrawn from the USA team...

Here is the latest odds...

Interesting that Greece which has beaten Serbia without Giannis in the qualification games, is suggested only 4th, with Serbia 2nd to team USA...

Serbia has more nba talent and overall depth.

Spain has talent and continuity.

Canada is a wild card. They have a legit coach and talent to medal.

Chemistry-Coaching-Match up, all standard elements of ball also matter in who ends up winning/going far. I haven't seen as much chemistry out of France and Greece as the others.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 06:26 PM
Serbia has more nba talent and overall depth.

Spain has talent and continuity.

Canada is a wild card. They have a legit coach and talent to medal.

Chemistry-Coaching-Match up, all standard elements of ball also matter in who ends up winning/going far. I haven't seen as much chemistry out of France and Greece as the others.

But... you haven't seen Greece at all! Giannis never plays in the qualifying games and the whole team has been built around him...

With Calathes, Sloukas, Papanikolaou, Giannis & Bourousis starting roster, Greece will be one of the teams that will challenge team USA for the gold in this tournament mate...

Heediot
07-22-2019, 06:34 PM
But... you haven't seen Greece at all! Giannis never plays in the qualifying games and the whole team has been built around him...

With Calathes, Sloukas, Papanikolaou, Giannis & Bourousis starting roster, Greece will be one of the teams that will challenge team USA for the gold in this tournament mate...

I've seen Greece plenty. They did well in qualifying, but most of the top teams including Greece were playing their B teams as nba and euroleaguers couldn't play outside of the summer games.

Greece has disappointed the last half decade with or without Freek, They didn't even qualify for the last Olympics and didn't medal in the last 2 euro's. Bourousis is getting up there in age. Spanoulis is old and retired from international play. Calathes is nice, Prentizis is a nice big man. Sloukas is clutch. Papanikolau is over-rated imo. They have the talent to medal, as does France but they need to play better together.

I guarantee you I watch more international and euro ball vs. anyone on this forum.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 06:57 PM
I've seen Greece plenty. They did well in qualifying, but most of the top teams including Greece were playing their B teams as nba and euroleaguers couldn't play outside of the summer games.
Greece has disappointed the last half decade with or without Freek,

Then... you haven't see Greece! How can you claim you've seen them since yourself admits their prime roster doesn't play in qualifying? Giannis doesn't play in the European championship either (he did in his rookie season only)... It's only the World championship and the Olympics he will be playing... Therefore you haven't see Greece with Giannis for the later 5 years! (neither have I, because it it didn't exist).

They didn't even qualify for the last Olympics and didn't medal in the last 2 euro's. Bourousis is getting up there in age. Spanoulis is old and retired from international play. Calathes is nice, Prentizis is a nice big man. Sloukas is clutch. Papanikolau is over-rated imo. They have the talent to medal, as does France but they need to play better together.

Quite right... after Zisis and Spanoulis retired the National team, they moved to a rebuilt of the roster... Still no Giannis there in these inferior than the team's previous standard of performance!

Sloukas.... Obradovic pays him bad to keep him in Fener and he won't be coming in the NBA... pity!

I guarantee you I watch more international and euro ball vs. anyone on this forum.
Actually you are only second... I'm watching international basketball from the Gallis, Giannakis, Schmidt, Petrovic, Radja, Cuckoc, Sabonis, Divac days... Ginobili & the Gasol bros came later...

I can tell you all parts of the game when we became the 1st team ever in Basketball's history that had Lebron's team USA "eating" more than 100 in 40 mins! What a victory that was!

EDIT: Bloody forgot to mention San Epifanio! ...what a player! ...WHAT A PLAYER!

Heediot
07-22-2019, 07:06 PM
Then... you haven't see Greece! How can you claim you've seen them since yourself admits their prime roster doesn't play in qualifying? Giannis doesn't play in the European championship either (he did in his rookie season only)... It's only the World championship and the Olympics he will be playing... Therefore you haven't see Greece with Giannis for the later 5 years! (neither have I, because it it didn't exist).

Quite right... after Zisis and Spanoulis retired the National team, they moved to a rebuilt of the roster... Still no Giannis there in these inferior than the team's previous standards!

Sloukas.... Obradovic pays him bad to keep him in Fener and he won't be coming in the NBA... pity!

Actually you are only second... I'm watching international basketball from the Gallis, Giannakis, Schmidt, Petrovic, Radja, Cuckoc, Sabonis, Divac days... Ginobili & the Gasol bros came later...

I can tell you all parts of the game when we became the 1st team ever in Basketball's history that had Lebron's team USA "eating" more than 100 in 40 mins! What a victory that was!

LMAO, I swear I saw Freak playing at Eurobasket in France or the last one. Yeah he was still raw though so the dynamics might change. Like I said though talent isn't everything unless you are overwhelming teams like the USA. Greece has to prove it to me in terms of how they can play off and with each other instead of relying on Spanoulis PNR and inside post ups . Freak won't be able to travel as he does in the nba, so he has to adjust there too.

Meh I might not remember everything pin point but within the last 5 years, I know I've watched more international and euro ball vs. others. I even watched the u19, women's eurobasket, etc that just passed. Right now u19 women's and pba is my focus, sprinkle in some african cup ball.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 07:28 PM
LMAO, I swear I saw Freak playing at Eurobasket in France or the last one. Yeah he was still raw though so the dynamics might change. Like I said though talent isn't everything unless you are overwhelming teams like the USA. Greece has to prove it to me in terms of how they can play off and with each other instead of relying on Spanoulis PNR and inside post ups . Freak won't be able to travel as he does in the nba, so he has to adjust there too.

Meh I might not remember everything pin point but within the last 5 years, I know I've watched more international and euro ball vs. others. I even watched the u19, women's eurobasket, etc that just passed. Right now u19 women's and pba is my focus, sprinkle in some african cup ball.

No... Giannis haven't played for the later 5 years (exactly because the team didn't make it to qualify in the world cup or the Olympics... He did play some practice games with the National team a couple of years ago before the Eurocup games, but the Bucks called him off to precaution a possible knee injury... Medical tests showed nothing, but Giannis didn't play in any official games that season... He left the camp to join the Bucks training camp and was replaced by young Papapetrou (lets hope he will decide on the NBA... unless of course if Obradovic pays him bad too and pairs him with Sloukas in Fener...)

Tg11
07-22-2019, 07:41 PM
How about other countries like Brazil or Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or other countries like the Dominican Republic or Philippines or Nigeria

warfelg
07-22-2019, 07:47 PM
How about other countries like Brazil or Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or other countries like the Dominican Republic or Philippines or Nigeria

If Ben Simmons didnít drop out Australia is actually an interesting team:
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Bolden
Baynes
Deladova and Bogut on the bench. That starting lineup IMO would work really well.

Tg11
07-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Then there are other countries too like DR Congo with the talent Congo has with names like Ibaka, Mudiay, etc. or Cameroon with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute just to name a few

buckalis
07-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Slovenia is quite of a force... Forget about the rest, they play "anarchy basketball"... Coaching is much inferior to the teams (like Slovenia) that are coming out of the "ex-Yugoslavian" tradition... These National teams (add Senegal too) have natural athleticism with their players, but their coaching is like half the teams in the NBA... (i.e. "all over the place" - no tactics - no system - "rotate with the clock since no one Can understand "matches" and "mismatches" in our coaching stuff")...

LOL... Cruel but it's true!

Tg11
07-22-2019, 08:00 PM
Cameroon basketball is on the rise too with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute

buckalis
07-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Cameroon basketball is on the rise too with Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute

It's not like in the NBA... NBA relies on players and contracts... In basketball, coaching tactics and rotation in order to mismatch in offense (or match at defense) is everything...

I can bet you anything that if coach Obradovic (by far the best active coach on this planet) ever leaves Fener and takes the ...Cavs (yes todays Cavs!) in the NBA, Then Cavs would be champions next season!

Honest! I can bet you anything on this!

IndyRealist
07-22-2019, 08:24 PM
It's bittersweet to see people talking international basketball. Like seeing what this place could be without all the fanaticism and trolling.

Chronz
07-22-2019, 08:46 PM
Nice, I love busting out my Jermaine O'neal team USA Jersey

NBA all the way
07-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Kemba Walker
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry
Khris Middleton
Myles Turner
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Paul Millsap
Jayson Tatum
P.J. Tucker
Donovan Mitchell
Marcus Smart
Thaddeus Young

I'm not overly impressed by the talent pool, especially since Love and Dame$ are unsure if they'll play and Lowry had thumb surgery 4 days ago.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Kemba Walker
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry
Khris Middleton
Myles Turner
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Paul Millsap
Jayson Tatum
P.J. Tucker
Donovan Mitchell
Marcus Smart
Thaddeus Young

I'm not overly impressed by the talent pool, especially since Love and Dame$ are unsure if they'll play and Lowry had thumb surgery 4 days ago.

Still 16 players... it's only 12 Pops can take with him in China. He has to cut 4...

NBA all the way
07-22-2019, 09:05 PM
Still 16 players... it's only 12 Pops can take with him in China. He has to cut 4...

Obviously, why I said pool and not team.

They can add additional players to the pool to pick from. I just don't think it's very impressive.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Obviously, why I said pool and not team.

They can add additional players to the pool to pick from. I just don't think it's very impressive.

They had all Harden, AD, McCollum and many more withdrawing... It's pretty embarrassing having players (multi-millioners) in the NBA that show no respect to their national team... It's the ultimate honor to be selected as to represent your country... How the **** can they deny?

NBA all the way
07-22-2019, 09:44 PM
They had all Harden, AD, McCollum and many more withdrawing... It's pretty embarrassing having players (multi-millioners) in the NBA that show no respect to their national team... It's the ultimate honor to be selected as to represent your country... How the **** can they deny?

Just a different generation man. Plus a lot of these top guys have won Olympic medals or world cup medals already, for the most part.

TrueFan420
07-22-2019, 10:00 PM
I can bet you anything that if coach Obradovic (by far the best active coach on this planet) ever leaves Fener and takes the ...Cavs (yes todays Cavs!) in the NBA, Then Cavs would be champions next season!

Do you get off on nonsense or just like to be a fool. Iím sure heís a good coach but donít be ridiculous.

IndyRealist
07-22-2019, 10:08 PM

Those guys will be there for the Olympics to get a medal. They don't care about the off-year tourneys.

DanG
07-23-2019, 04:10 AM
The best part of the tournament will be to see the *** whooping Giannis will do to these teams, even though they might not win it.

Tg11
07-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Harrison Barnes
Andre Drummond
Kemba Walker
Damian Lillard
Kevin Love
Kyle Lowry
Khris Middleton
Myles Turner
Kyle Kuzma
Brook Lopez
Paul Millsap
Jayson Tatum
P.J. Tucker
Donovan Mitchell
Marcus Smart
Thaddeus Young

Either way that USA team could still win the FIBA World Championship

buckalis
07-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Actually Popovic was mentored by the world's best coaches (Ivkovic and Obradovic) when he was an officer of the USA foreign office addressed in Eastern Europe... He had no basketball coaching before, but because his parents were of Yugoslavian origin, he visited his relatives in what was still a united country in Yugoslavia...

Because he was fond of basketball, he watched some games there and met Ivkovic who in return introduced him to (younger in age) Obradovic... He became friends with them and then retired his job for the foreign office and returned to the USA, to become the "reference standard" for coaching basketball in the NBA...

LOL... One is legitimate to claim that the Yugoslavians have taught Americans basketball tactics... But it's true!

Popovic is literally responsible for bringing USA basketball back to the map...

The USA team had a disaster decade which started in the world cup of 1996 (tournament was hosted in Atlanta) and lasted for a whole decade... During that decade the USA team never show a world or an Olympics title after having suffered losses to Serbia, Argentina, Spain, Greece and more...

Popovic, after have been mentored by the world's best coaches (Ivkovic and Obradovic) realized that the problem with USA basketball on both the NBA teams and the National team, was that the players were playing with no tactics behind them... Literally it was "all anarchy basketball" where teams in the USA were playing like if there is a different ball for each of their players, while the teams that were beating them, were playing with only one ball and the players were coached in exact roles that they fully have understand and were able to execute on the floor...

Popovic convinced the Spurs ownership to trust him on the days, he supervised and implemented "tactics basketball" with the Spurs and the following success his team had, proved that it was coaching and culture that had to be altered in USA basketball...

These videos must be seen by anyone that wants to extend his knowledge in the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY12cFjrHjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOHtKDeiQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4Ld2k-L5Q

Heediot
07-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Popovic is literally responsible for bringing USA basketball back to the map...

The USA team had a disaster decade which started in the world cup of 1996 (tournament was hosted in Atlanta) and lasted for a whole decade... During that decade the USA team never show a world or an Olympics title after having suffered losses to Serbia, Argentina, Spain, Greece and more...

Popovic, after have been mentored by the world's best coaches (Ivkovic and Obradovic) realized that the problem with USA basketball on both the NBA teams and the National team, was that the players were playing with no tactics behind them... Literally it was "all anarchy basketball" where teams in the USA were playing like if there is a different ball for each of their players, while the teams that were beating them, were playing with only one ball and the players were coached in exact roles that they fully have understand and were able to execute on the floor...

Popovic convinced the Spurs ownership to trust him on the days, he supervised and implemented "tactics basketball" with the Spurs and the following success his team had, proved that it was coaching and culture that had to be altered in USA basketball...

These videos must be seen by anyone that wants to extend his knowledge in the game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY12cFjrHjU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLOHtKDeiQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE4Ld2k-L5Q

Yeah I think Pop will be better vs. Coach K. K just let the athletes do what they want on offense. It's basically why they didn't dominate in the group stages last Olympics and only blew out China and Venezuela. Defense clamped down in the elimination rounds though. Pop will make the ball work and play to the strength of his collective.

valade16
07-23-2019, 09:53 AM

That's easy to say in a vacuum, but when you have Olympics, FIBA Championship, World Cup, and all the other international tournaments you're basically saying they're unpatriotic for not spending every single off-season playing for the US.

Heediot
07-24-2019, 08:10 AM
It's not like in the NBA... NBA relies on players and contracts... In basketball, coaching tactics and rotation in order to mismatch in offense (or match at defense) is everything...

Obradovic has clout in Europe to coach and yell at his players the way he does. Pop can do it, because he has clout in the nba. I don't think these spoiled and entitled players will take the tough love from him. See Blatt, who is completely opposite in Europe as to how he has to interact on the sideline in the nba.

He is a top ball coach, but no one is winning a title with that Cavs team.

warfelg
07-24-2019, 08:21 AM
So, I saw some interesting suggestions to 'how to fix team USA' that included playing retired players, making the U19 team the national team, and going to GLeague players. I got my own ideas:

- Team USA and the NBA and NBPA need to work together. I think the NBA needs to reduce their schedule to about 62 games, end the playoffs about a month sooner. Now guys won't be able to use fatigue as an excuse to sit out.

- Must play in 5 friendlies or 2 camps; as well as the FIBA tournament or the AmeriCup to be considered for the Olympics team. So if a player like AD wanted to play in the Olympics, he needs to participate in that stuff.

- If you fail to do any of that you are no longer part of Team USA and are taken out of consideration for future Team USA roster construction.

- Start a Team USA training program that starts with a pool of 1 team per state starting at the U10 age. As they keep aging, they stay in the program with it thinning out yearly, so by the time they hit the NBA and Olympics, they have been around the program so long that they take pride in playing in all events.

- In FIBA and Olympic years, delay the start of training camps, preseason, and the regular season by 2 weeks. Combined with a shorter season, again this eliminates the 'too tired' reasoning to it.

- Again with the NBA, work on a 'Team USA injury protection' program for the teams. I'm sure some of the saying no to doing Team USA is pressure from the teams to not see their players get injured.

Heediot
07-24-2019, 08:30 AM
not that it'll ever be agreed upon but just get the defending champs to rep the usa, and sub the foreigners for us players. this year might not be a good example as toronto, but let's say gs won it last year and the olympics was last year.

replace zaza and boucher with deandre jordan and brook lopez and they will still win gold rather easily.

buckalis
07-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Obradovic has clout in Europe to coach and yell at his players the way he does. Pop can do it, because he has clout in the nba. I don't think these spoiled and entitled players will take the tough love from him. See Blatt, who is completely opposite in Europe as to how he has to interact on the sideline in the nba.

He is a top ball coach, but no one is winning a title with that Cavs team.

Ohhh... He yells a lot alright to the extend his face turns red! However, his players love him not only because they become better players and win with him on the wheel, but also because he loves them back and teaches them that personal relations is different to relations on the floor (he enforces dicipline)... As a consequence, he attracts any player he wants to the team he takes over...

You would be surprised how many players would want to join him if he ever picked an NBA team and then all at team friendly salary...

I will insist that he would win the title next season (a year later after he takes the wheel) even with the Cavs... Here is what I predict his moves would be...

1. He would call back to the NBA Alexey Shved, Milos Teodosic and call Sloukas too... play Teodosic at PG and Shved at SG with Sloukas, Garland and Clarkson backing them up...

2. He would trade Sexton + Osman + a bad (expiring) contract for Bojan Bogdanovic (who would request a trade next day as to join with Obradovic) and would play Bojan at SF.

3.He would train and play Nance at 4 and would call (free agent) Ioannis Papapetrou as to back up both Bojan and Larry in internal rotation...

4.He would keep Love, but would attract Vucevic too as to enforce a trade from the Magic (no doubt he would!) and would play him at CF with Love backing him up...

Then he would add next season exactly what he needs as to put the final touches/upgrades in the roster and would have the run for the championship by the next season...

Heediot
07-24-2019, 09:35 AM
Ohhh... He yells a lot alright to the extend his face turns red! However, his players love him not only because they become better players and win with him on the wheel, but also because he loves them back and teaches them that personal relations is different to relations on the floor (he enforces dicipline)... As a consequence, he attracts any player he wants to the team he takes over...

You would be surprised how many players would want to join him if he ever picked an NBA team and then all at team friendly salary...

I will insist that he would win the title next season (a year later after he takes the wheel) even with the Cavs... Here is what I predict his moves would be...

1. He would call back to the NBA Alexey Shved, Milos Teodosic and call Sloukas too... play Teodosic at PG and Shved at SG with Sloukas, Garland and Clarkson backing them up...

2. He would trade Sexton + Osman + a bad (expiring) contract for Bojan Bogdanovic (who would request a trade next day as to join with Obradovic) and would play Bojan at SF.

3.He would train and play Nance at 4 and would call (free agent) Ioannis Papapetrou as to back up both Bojan and Larry in internal rotation...

4.He would keep Love, but would attract Vucevic too as to enforce a trade from the Magic (no doubt he would!) and would play him at CF with Love backing him up...

Then he would add next season exactly what he needs as to put the final touches/upgrades in the roster and would have the run for the championship by the next season...

wheres the defense? all those guys are sieves on defense.

talent matters to an extent too. teodosic and shved are euroleague stars that get exposed more in the nba.

Saddletramp
07-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Dame is out. DeRozan, too.

buckalis
07-24-2019, 12:48 PM
wheres the defense? all those guys are sieves on defense.

talent matters to an extent too. teodosic and shved are euroleague stars that get exposed more in the nba.

You think of the defense as a player to player guarding, while these players are not trained to do that... Defense is Obradovic' strongest advantage in his game tactics... Only that it is very different to what fans in the US think about what a good defender is... Defense is a team process, not an individual player's action...

One that watches International basketball action, surely has to admire Serbia's or Russia's defense... Yet, it is Teodosic with Serbia and Shved with Russia that are on the floor, if only that their role differs... They are trained to be part of a team defense process, not to guard one of the opponent's player like they are usually asked to do in the NBA...

I can assure you that if Dragic was in a different team, he would be considered to be a bad defender too, but he is not! He is fortunate to play with coach Spoelstra though, who is among the very few coaches (again, coach Pops is another) in the NBA that insist on "team defense" rather than guarding a specific player of the opponent...

In any case, defense would as always be the strongest factor in a team with Obradovic on the wheel and then with the players I mentioned before in the roster...

Heediot
07-24-2019, 12:58 PM
You think of the defense as a player to player guarding, while these players are not trained to do that... Defense is Obradovic' strongest advantage in his game tactics... Only that it is very different to what fans in the US think about what a good defender is... Defense is a team process, not an individual player's action...

One that watches International basketball action, surely has to admire Serbia's or Russia's defense... Yet, it is Teodosic with Serbia and Shved with Russia that are on the floor, if only that their role differs... They are trained to be part of a team defense process, not to guard one of the opponent's player like they are usually asked to do in the NBA...

I can assure you that if Dragic was in a different team, he would be considered to be a bad defender too, but he is not! He is fortunate to play with coach Spoelstra though, who is among the very few coaches (again, coach Pops is another) in the NBA that insist on "team defense" rather than guarding a specific player of the opponent...

In any case, defense would as always be the strongest factor in a team with Obradovic on the wheel and then with the players I mentioned before in the roster...

Obradavic still has the best defender in Europe in Vesley. You still need the talent. Nunanlly was an elite defender under him and he had Ekpe for a couple of seasons.

Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant tactician but you still need talent.

A lineup of Milos-Shved-Bojan-Love-Vucevic is going to get mirked on the pick n roll day and night. These guys are all below average nba defenders. Vucevic might be average. But that's not going to cut it no matter how briliant Obradavic is.

You can hide players better with fiba rules and the lanes can are more clogged up. There is no illegal defense.

Theoretically maybe your on to something but pragmatically there has to be some level of talent.

buckalis
07-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Obradavic still has the best defender in Europe in Vesley. You still need the talent. Nunanlly was an elite defender under him and he had Ekpe for a couple of seasons.

Don't get me wrong he's a brilliant tactician but you still need talent.

A lineup of Milos-Shved-Bojan-Love-Vucevic is going to get mirked on the pick n roll day and night. These guys are all below average nba defenders. Vucevic might be average. But that's not going to cut it no matter how briliant Obradavic is.

You can hide players better with fiba rules and the lanes can are more clogged up. There is no illegal defense.

Theoretically maybe your on to something but pragmatically there has to be some level of talent.

You obviously mean Vesely... but still, the Spoelstra example and how Dragic is used, should be enough to explain the case... Also... Bogdanovic is an excellent defender on any system (team or individual defense)... Another example can be Korver, who is very poor in individual defense, but again very good in team defense...

My point is, that he uses his player different, especially in defense... he never plays "zone" but never plays "man to man" either... it's his own system of one player covering all other team mates and then have all of the team players covering all of their team mates with the aim to restrict the opponent's ability to move the ball and therefore force the opponent to have a poor choice of shot...

He will of course use Vesely if he can have him, but results were no different with Petkovic or with M.Batiste (who he turned to CF from SF he used to play and mentored him to coaching - Mike is now assistant coach in Orlando) ten years ago... Defense is always rock solid with him as coach and it's a carefully pre-designed team process...

watch this video from 5:45 and later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4g6dL9MFU

Tg11
07-24-2019, 02:18 PM
Other countries on the rise in basketball definitely have to be Latvia, Russia, Netherlands, Venezuela

Heediot
07-24-2019, 02:20 PM
You obviously mean Vesely... but still, the Spoelstra example and how Dragic is used, should be enough to explain the case... Also... Bogdanovic is an excellent defender on any system (team or individual defense)... Another example can be Korver, who is very poor in individual defense, but again very good in team defense...

My point is, that he uses his player different, especially in defense... he never plays "zone" but never plays "man to man" either... it's his own system of one player covering all other team mates and then have all of the team players covering all of their team mates with the aim to restrict the opponent's ability to move the ball and therefore force the opponent to have a poor choice of shot...

He will of course use Vesely if he can have him, but results were no different with Petkovic or with M.Batiste (who he turned to CF from SF he used to play and mentored him to coaching - Mike is now assistant coach in Orlando) ten years ago... Defense is always rock solid with him as coach and it's a carefully pre-designed team process...

watch this video from 5:45 and later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml4g6dL9MFU

Playing defense vs. euroleague talent is different vs. the nba and can only go so far.

Just look at the last olympics. USA struggled defensively in the round robin but turned it up based purely on talent and personnel when it mattered. Serbia was doing good defensively in the group stages, but in the finals they gave up 96 to the USA, whereas the USA held Serbia to 66. So talent does matter especially the higher up in world class levels of basketball going from defending euroleaguers to the worlds best tall athletes.

Don't get me wrong I think he could make it work in the nba if the players buy in and aren't sensitive to his coaching style, and if he has enough talent. Mike Batiste and his Panathinaikos guys might be able to work against similar talent level, but he has to be somewhat close in nba defensive talent as his oppositions talent to make it work here. I respect where your going with this and I agree with you that he is a defensive mastermind but the guys you put together aint cutting it against the length skill and athleticism of the allstars in the nba. Just my .02.

NBA all the way
07-24-2019, 02:55 PM
Dame is out. DeRozan, too.
Love as well. Added Jaylen Brown and Randle to training camp roster.

4 Celtics can potentially make the 12 man roster, lol

buckalis
07-24-2019, 03:06 PM
Love as well. Added Jaylen Brown and Randle to training camp roster.

4 Celtics can potentially make the 12 man roster, lol

That would potentially prove to be extremely beneficial for the Celtics... Kemba, Tatum, (now) Brown, who is the 4th?

NBA all the way
07-24-2019, 04:27 PM
That would potentially prove to be extremely beneficial for the Celtics... Kemba, Tatum, (now) Brown, who is the 4th?

Marcus Smart.

buckalis
07-24-2019, 06:40 PM
Here is the latest odds average...

buckalis
07-28-2019, 04:06 PM
5 players of the Bucks in the FIBA world cup... Other than Giannis & Thanasis for team Greece and Brook Lopez with Middleton for team USA, Ilyasova will be playing too with the Turkish team...

Also... coach Popovic called Pat Connaughton to be among the players that will join the team USA training camp, in order to play for "team select" which will help the team USA to prepare.

Heediot
07-30-2019, 06:29 AM
No Ben Simmons helps Lithuania. He would've been a match up nightmare for them. Can't sleep on Jonas and co., that team is solid and could squeak into the next round.

TrueFan420
07-30-2019, 10:16 AM
not that it'll ever be agreed upon but just get the defending champs to rep the usa, and sub the foreigners for us players. this year might not be a good example as toronto, but let's say gs won it last year and the olympics was last year.

replace zaza and boucher with deandre jordan and brook lopez and they will still win gold rather easily.

I donít like it. It puts too much on players who already played more games than anyone and hurts their chances going back to back.

Iíd rather see it be a u23 team with 1-3 over age spots available.

buckalis
07-30-2019, 02:49 PM
I donít like it. It puts too much on players who already played more games than anyone and hurts their chances going back to back.

Iíd rather see it be a u23 team with 1-3 over age spots available.

Actually, I think that with Kerr as assistant coach and Popovic on the wheel, USA will be based on having lots of 3pt attempts... Given the roster, It looks to me that they'll play "Bucks style" (which isn't surprising given that Budenholzer was mentored by Popovic) with Middleton and Lopez at the starting roster and starting Kemba at PG (in what is Bledsoe's position in the Bucks) + a SG and a PF...

Clear problem is that ...Giannis will be on the other side, I therefore can see the USA-Bucks national team loosing this cup to the Greeks...

buckalis
08-01-2019, 06:51 PM
it now is 5 players the Bucks will have in the FIBA world cup... Other than Giannis & Thanasis Antetokounmpo for team Greece and Brook Lopez along with Middleton for team USA, Ilyasova will also be playing with the Turkish team...

Also... coach Popovic called Pat Connaughton to be among the players that will join the team USA training camp, in order to play for "team select" which will help the team USA to prepare.

Heediot
08-02-2019, 07:05 AM
I think Myles Turner will start for USa at the 5. His defense/rim protection will be key. Lopze has a shot but I think Turner starts.

Kemba-Mitchell-Middleton-Tatum-Turner

buckalis
08-02-2019, 07:33 AM
I think Myles Turner will start for USa at the 5. His defense/rim protection will be key. Lopze has a shot but I think Turner starts.

Kemba-Mitchell-Middleton-Tatum-Turner

Perhaps the starting 5 may depend on who the opponent is... Team USA seems to be having trouble at the position... Drummond has also withdrawn from the National team yesterday...
I believe that Pops will have to call another Center to add in the rotation and the choices are limited... Ending up to call Robin Lopez too next to his twin, now seems all the more possible...

buckalis
08-02-2019, 09:39 AM
After Drummond's departure, coach Popovic called Bam Adebayo and Jaren Jackson Jr. to the training camp of team USA...

tredigs
08-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Team USA about to send an All-Bench-NBA unit and still crush this tournament. Love it.

buckalis
08-02-2019, 02:01 PM
Team USA about to send an All-Bench-NBA unit and still crush this tournament. Love it.

They will be playing against Greece early in the 2nd round and if the two teams end 1st and 2nd (which is by far the most probable scenario), they can't meet again until the finals... It means that they both will meet against almost all the rest of powers (Serbia, Spain, Russia, France, Australia, Lithuania) in knock out games before the finals and then have to battle again between them for the gold...

Giannis against Middleton and Lopez... Hmmm... interesting... I wouldn't be so sure that team USA wins this easy...

Heediot
08-02-2019, 04:35 PM

Pop is the most valuable thing for the team. He knows the euro/fiba game well and has track record of making the most of his team regardless of talent in SA. I think he'll get his team to do its job/mission.

If it was coach K and a team of Lou Williams and Brook Lopez and co., I think some team like Serbia etc. will take them out.

buckalis
08-02-2019, 06:10 PM
Pop is the most valuable thing for the team. He knows the euro/fiba game well and has track record of making the most of his team regardless of talent in SA. I think he'll get his team to do its job/mission.

If it was coach K and a team of Lou Williams and Brook Lopez and co., I think some team like Serbia etc. will take them out.

I fully agree on this... The better floor tactics always can beat a team with better roster on paper and in basketball, games are won by the defense. Team USA is very fortunate that will have coach Popovic on the wheel and even more so that Croatia won't be present, but also team Serbia doesn't have Obradovic on the wheel, but coach Djorjevic instead...

tredigs
08-02-2019, 08:39 PM
They will be playing against Greece early in the 2nd round and if the two teams end 1st and 2nd (which is by far the most probable scenario), they can't meet again until the finals... It means that they both will meet against almost all the rest of powers (Serbia, Spain, Russia, France, Australia, Lithuania) in knock out games before the finals and then have to battle again between them for the gold...

Giannis against Middleton and Lopez... Hmmm... interesting... I wouldn't be so sure that team USA wins this easy...

A lot more than Middleton and Lopez on the USA scrub team. It should be pretty easy for them. Granted, I won't be watching much of this **** tournament that nobody is going to.

NBA all the way
08-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Well, the 15 man training camp roster is official. For sure devoid of 1st tier stars, for the most part lacking 2nd tier star players too. I'd say some of these guys are easily that 3rd tier though.

Not sure which 3 players get cut, but I have a hunch.

Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat); Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown(Boston Celtics); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets), Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Thaddeus Young (Chicago Bulls.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 03:49 PM
Well, the 15 man training camp roster is official. For sure devoid of 1st tier stars, for the most part lacking 2nd tier star players too. I'd say some of these guys are easily that 3rd tier though.

Not sure which 3 players get cut, but I have a hunch.

Bam Adebayo (Miami Heat); Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown(Boston Celtics); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets), Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Thaddeus Young (Chicago Bulls.

is Plumlee, Tucker & Young your hunch?

TrueFan420
08-03-2019, 05:33 PM
is Plumlee, Tucker & Young your hunch?

Plumlee and Young are mine but I think Tucker makes it. Not sure who the 3rd is. Probably Bam. Lopez and Turner can hold down the center spot.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Plumlee and Young are mine but I think Tucker makes it. Not sure who the 3rd is. Probably Bam. Lopez and Turner can hold down the center spot.
Given that is Pops who is the coach, he knows well the Eastern European game and the physicality that will be involved... Physicality means having players loaded with fouls... My opinion is that Pops doesn't go in there without a 3rd center...

NBA all the way
08-03-2019, 06:19 PM
If Lowry's thumb proves to not be all the way healed, he could be an automatic elimination.

TrueFan420
08-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Given that is Pops who is the coach, he knows well the Eastern European game and the physicality that will be involved... Physicality means having players loaded with fouls... My opinion is that Pops doesn't go in there without a 3rd center...

Thatís definitely a fair point but who gets dropped. I donít see it being Tucker.

TrueFan420
08-03-2019, 06:46 PM
If Lowry's thumb proves to not be all the way healed, he could be an automatic elimination.

Thatís a good point. Any raptor fans want to chime in with an injury update?

buckalis
08-03-2019, 06:57 PM
Thatís definitely a fair point but who gets dropped. I donít see it being Tucker.

Well... he can only get 12 with him and he will definitely need 3 PGs and 3 CFs... I would guess the other 6 should be a combo guard, 2x2/3 wings, 2x3/4 forwards and a "pure" PF...

This way, Pops will be able to play either "3 guards" or "3 towers" on the floor depending on matches and mismatches... I believe he will let Tucker behind not because he wants to, but because he will conclude that it leads to the optimum roster mixture he can rotate...

EDIT: I mean if he takes Tucker, then he must reject either Tatum or Kuzma... In any case, I believe the "pure" PF should be J.Jackson jr. he just called...

EDIT-2: I believe Pops wants to avoid having any of his players thinking that this is "like NBA" and Tucker is IMO, one of the most vulnerable to "fell into this trap"...

NBA all the way
08-03-2019, 07:09 PM
Thatís a good point. Any raptor fans want to chime in with an injury update?

He had surgery July 18th, idk how it's even feasible but gotta give him respect for trying.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 07:13 PM
He had surgery July 18th, idk how it's even feasible but gotta give him respect for trying.

Mind you that Pops won't care if he has Lowery available for the 1st week of the tournament.. It's the 2nd week he cares about and that's 7.5 weeks distant from the injury, which should be more than enough...

Heediot
08-05-2019, 01:14 PM
**** these entitled Canadians. They acting like they the USA and did something before in international play where most of these guys withdrawing.

Them euros and south Americans bleed on the floor for their countries and it would take a legit injury for them not to play for the most part.

Hopefully they can qualify for the Olympics. Bich *** suckas.

buckalis
08-05-2019, 08:09 PM
**** these entitled Canadians. They acting like they the USA and did something before in international play where most of these guys withdrawing.

Them euros and south Americans bleed on the floor for their countries and it would take a legit injury for them not to play for the most part.

Hopefully they can qualify for the Olympics. Bich *** suckas.

Other than Tyler Dorsey who called last week and said that he was very sorry he couldn't join, because he is still in the USA and is negotiating with teams (still a free agent), no roster problem (after a very long time) for us...

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019/news/antetokounmpo-brothers-bourousis-and-calathes-all-in-greece-preliminary-squad-for-world-cup

Dade County
08-06-2019, 02:31 AM
For the ones that are worried because most of are star players have decided they are to big for the Fiba World Championship.

I say to you, one word... Bam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCngGrkAwTM

buckalis
08-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Giannis didn't practice today with the Greek squad, due to a gastrenderitis virus keeping him to bed... The joke between his team mates and brothers alike, was that the American secret service under Trump attempted to ...poison his food so that they can take him out, not only because he is a threat to the USA team, but also because he is a personal friend of ex-president Obama...

P.S. Giannis is the only active basketball player that was invited in the white house and met president Obama personally after his official invitation... President Obama is known to be a basketball fanatic (plays the game himself) and Giannis admirer... (despite being a Bulls fan).

Heediot
08-08-2019, 03:48 AM

Props to Lowry, he could of easily dropped out with a legit excuse, add in his deep title run. Too many guys be dropping out for far less. OTOH Spurs and Raptors are more liberal in allowing guys to compete in these type of tourneys.

buckalis
08-08-2019, 05:00 AM
Props to Lowry, he could of easily dropped out with a legit excuse, add in his deep title run. Too many guys be dropping out for far less. OTOH Spurs and Raptors are more liberal in allowing guys to compete in these type of tourneys.

It adds world wide fame to the team... I mean the commentators all over the world don't just say his name "Lowry" on plays, but they'll be commenting when he is involved in an important play or when the roster is announced, "Kyle Lowry, the PG of the NBA champions Toronto Raptors"...

Same with the Bucks... "Giannis Antetokounmpo, the NBA's MVP"...

It adds more fans to the team all over the world and this means additional profits for the organization... Nike timed their new "freak" products just before the FIBA world cup...

Heediot
08-08-2019, 06:44 AM
https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/blame-world-cup-no-shows-falls-fiba-not-canada-basketball/

Good article explaining the elements and context for a lot of the national team drop outs.

buckalis
08-08-2019, 12:25 PM
Giannis didn't practice today with the Greek squad, due to a gastrenderitis virus keeping him to bed... The joke between his team mates and brothers alike, was that the American secret service under Trump attempted to ...poison his food so that they can take him out, not only because he is a threat to the USA team, but also because he is a personal friend of ex-president Obama...

P.S. Giannis is the only active basketball player that was invited in the white house and met president Obama personally after his official invitation... President Obama is known to be a basketball fanatic (plays the game himself) and Giannis admirer... (despite being a Bulls fan).

The gastrenteritis that Giannis got, keeps him in bed for a second day... Team Greece announced today that Giannis won't play against Hungary on friday (the 1st on schedule of the preparation games) while his participation against Iran on Sunday remains doubtful... Did the American secret service tried to poison Giannis food? The question remains... :confused::p

buckalis
08-08-2019, 02:05 PM
btw Serbia has more nba talent!

Serbia is expected to be in the final four with USA and Greece, the thing is that Greece matches with USA in the 2nd round and they can't meet again before the finals... Therefore who will be against Serbia in the semifinals? Greece or USA? In any case, Serbia has to beat both to win the gold...

Dade County
08-08-2019, 07:24 PM
The Boston players are playing well so far... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZG_LnZtQ0

buckalis
08-09-2019, 11:20 AM
The Boston players are playing well so far... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phZG_LnZtQ0

Thanks, very interesting and informative video... I'm sure I saw Fox and (Joe) Harris playing with the team USA instead of playing with the team select that they were called... Does this means that Lowery and Smart are out? ...or is it a temporary solution due to Lowery and Smart rehubbing their way back from injuries? ...does anybody happen to know?

buckalis
08-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Bam Adebayo and Thaddeus Young rejected from team USA... Marving Bagley and Derrick White promoted from team select to take their place... Roster now cut down to 17 players, the final roster that will travel to China can be of no more than 12 players... 5 more will have to return home...

NBA all the way
08-10-2019, 07:03 PM
The final 17 for team USA are

Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); DeíAaron Fox (Sacramento Kings); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets); Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs).

buckalis
08-10-2019, 07:55 PM
The final 17 for team USA are

Harrison Barnes (Sacramento Kings); Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings); Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics); DeíAaron Fox (Sacramento Kings); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Kyle Kuzma (Los Angeles Lakers); Brook Lopez (Milwaukee Bucks); Kyle Lowry (Toronto Raptors); Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks); Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz); Mason Plumlee (Denver Nuggets); Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics); Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics); P.J. Tucker (Houston Rockets); Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers); Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics); and Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs).

If I was to guess, I would say that Plumlee should be surely one that would be cut, but no other "big", then one out of Tucker or Smart should be rejected because there are too many wings and they are the oldest (it can be that Pops cuts both), then one out of Fox or White because if both will stay next to Lowery and Walker it will be getting very crowdy at PG and thereafter , I don't have a clue who else...

There are players at the same position but with very different characteristics which brings it down to which characteristics Pops prefers... If it comes down to choose one out Mitchell, Brown or Harris to leave out, I think Pops would have a very difficult decision to make, but I believe would end up to cut Brown...

cmellofan15
08-11-2019, 01:14 AM
How disheartening must it feel to get rejected from this iteration of team USA?

buckalis
08-11-2019, 07:32 AM
How disheartening must it feel to get rejected from this iteration of team USA?

There is surely some disappointment caused, but it surely can't be disheartening... I mean they still made it to the best 17 players of the USA National team! It can only add prestige on the value of their careers.

NBA all the way
08-11-2019, 07:48 PM
Bagley went ahead and removed himself from the competition. Pop only has to cut 4 guys.

buckalis
08-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Bagley went ahead and removed himself from the competition. Pop only has to cut 4 guys.

I can see Pops adding another center then... I believe he won't go into those highly physical games with only two centers on Turner and Brolo... He may have to call Rolo too and play both the twins like the Bucks did for the following season.

VCaintdead17
08-11-2019, 09:09 PM
I can see Pops adding another center then... I believe he won't go into those highly physical games with only two centers on Turner and Brolo... He may have to call Rolo too and play both the twins like the Bucks did for the following season.

Robin Lopez won't be on the mens USA basketball team for....so many reasons.

Heediot
08-12-2019, 02:32 PM
Its be a miracle for Canada to get out of the group let alone make the Olympics this year. Hopefully they do good enough for the last chance Olympic tourney.

Lithuania is looking solid in these exhibition games. They haven't been winning, but I can see that they are still are a good international team (losinf to spain and serbia) . Havent seen Australia yet. Canada's roster would be hard pressed to make the euroleague playoffs.

buckalis
08-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Its be a miracle for Canada to get out of the group let alone make the Olympics this year. Hopefully they do good enough for the last chance Olympic tourney.

Lithuania is looking solid in these exhibition games. They haven't been winning, but I can see that they are still are a good international team (losinf to spain and serbia) . Havent seen Australia yet. Canada's roster would be hard pressed to make the euroleague playoffs.

Actually the Boomers have their problems too without Simmons and more... It will be a close run between Canada, Lithuania and the Aussies for who ends up 1st, but I believe all three will make it to the knock out round... So it's more a matter of who gets the better matching in the knock outs...

I presume you remember the how the promotion system is... Just in case a third person doesn't, I'll repeat it here...

There are 4 groups of 8 teams each, which are divided in two subgroups of 4 teams each... There is no disqualifying in the 1st stage which is the four teams of each subgroup playing each other, but they don't play against each other in the 2nd stage, where each team plays the other four of the other subgroup... The 4 teams with the best record are promoted to the knock out stage, where they play 1vs.4 and 2vs.3 with another group on the and so on...

Heediot
08-12-2019, 03:08 PM
I presume you remember the how the promotion system is... Just in case a third person doesn't, I'll repeat it here...

Actually I don't remember too well. I just thought it was top 2 in the group. Thanks for the refresher.

buckalis
08-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Actually I don't remember too well. I just thought it was top 2 in the group. Thanks for the refresher.

You're welcome... Here is why I think the Greeks have the best of chances to be in the finals against USA:

The Greeks are favored to be 1st in their subgroup in the 1st stage with 3 wins... then they match with team USA where one out of the two is expected to end up 1st and the other 2nd... It means that they don't meet each other again until the finals... While Serbia (the 2nd favorite in odds) will have to take out both in order to reach the finals, but additionally won't be able to do some study out of video of the Greek or the American system against an opponent that plays like Serbia, while OTOH, both Pops and Skourtopoulos will be fully prepared to cope with the Serbian system on which they are fully aware off (it doesn't change over the ...centuries of them being the "king's in strategy").

cmellofan15
08-12-2019, 07:01 PM
Serbia is better than Greece

buckalis
08-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Serbia is better than Greece

Good for them... they better prove it on the floor though, cause Giannis thinks different!

NBA all the way
08-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Lowry pulls out because of his thumb, but I don't think it should come as much of a surprise.

buckalis
08-12-2019, 08:38 PM
Lowry pulls out because of his thumb, but I don't think it should come as much of a surprise.

LOL... I wonder if there is a conspiracy so that Giannis not only wins NBA MVP this season, but wins World cup MVP too... Bad joke, but this USA team can be beaten from any out of half the league's teams... I mean what is this? A "Bucks + Celtics united" but ...without Giannis? Who are the leaders? Middleton and Kemba only?

NBA all the way
08-14-2019, 08:34 PM
Allegedly the USA squad got beat 36-17 in a scrimmage today, against a bunch of G-Leaguers and overseas guys.

buckalis
08-14-2019, 09:09 PM
Allegedly the USA squad got beat 36-17 in a scrimmage today, against a bunch of G-Leaguers and overseas guys.

Here is the (painful to watch) video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv-3iul_XkY

buckalis
08-14-2019, 09:16 PM
The "Acropolis tournament" starts in Athens the day after tomorrow and will last till Sunday... Four National teams in a really interesting tournament that should be excellent for coaches to make their final roster decisions. Italy, Turkey, Greece and Serbia are the four teams.

NBA all the way
08-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Crazy to let them go on a 14 to nothing run to close the quarter.

warfelg
08-15-2019, 08:26 AM
I'm watching the scrimmage now, and something felt "fishy" about this whole report about the starters being beat by that much, and as I go to watch; my thoughts on it were kinda confirmed. Team white looked like they weren't playing real offensive sets, just kinda playing, they have very little lift. It's almost like the 'main' team played after a long day of practice. Kemba wasn't the primary ball handler quite often, Plumlee playing high post facilitator. It was ugly. Looked like a game at the Y where know won knows each other, while the other team is one of those hustler groups that pretend to not know each other.

warfelg
08-15-2019, 09:16 AM
I just watched PJ tucker play 3 minutes of PG with Kemba and Mitchell on the court....

...these two scrimmages were a joke. No one is actually playing where they should be. Kemba was posting up while BroLo is running the show up top.

buckalis
08-15-2019, 03:53 PM
I just watched PJ tucker play 3 minutes of PG with Kemba and Mitchell on the court....

...these two scrimmages were a joke. No one is actually playing where they should be. Kemba was posting up while BroLo is running the show up top.

That's because Pops is trying to decide who will take "playing Giannis" in that "Bucks + Celtics combined" team USA... Good luck with that... The Greeks will "eat them alive"...

PAOboston
08-16-2019, 08:46 AM
The "Acropolis tournament" starts in Athens the day after tomorrow and will last till Sunday... Four National teams in a really interesting tournament that should be excellent for coaches to make their final roster decisions. Italy, Turkey, Greece and Serbia are the four teams.

Iím going to this. Tickets are dirt cheap. Going to watch the Greece-Serbia game. Will be interesting test. I think Serbia has a better team thatís Greece. Greece has the best player but the Serbian squad is better talent from top to bottom, including pretty solid bigs that will clog the paint. Greece will have issues with generating offense/shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckalis
08-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Iím going to this. Tickets are dirt cheap. Going to watch the Greece-Serbia game. Will be interesting test. I think Serbia has a better team thatís Greece. Greece has the best player but the Serbian squad is better talent from top to bottom, including pretty solid bigs that will clog the paint. Greece will have issues with generating offense/shooting.

I'm going as well all three days... Those games are still "preparation" for the World cup games, therefore I expect both coach Djorgevic and Skourtopoulos to "hide" parts of their FIBA world championship tactical plans from each other during the Serbia vs. Greece game... I believe both coaches will spend most of the game getting their players to "know" their opponents... Still an interesting game... Still a Boston fan? Giannis is playing for the Bucks :D traitor! :D

PAOboston
08-16-2019, 09:45 AM
I'm going as well all three days... Those games are still "preparation" for the World cup games, therefore I expect both coach Djorgevic and Skourtopoulos to "hide" parts of their FIBA world championship tactical plans from each other during the Serbia vs. Greece game... I believe both coaches will spend most of the game getting their players to "know" their opponents... Still an interesting game... Still a Boston fan? Giannis is playing for the Bucks :D traitor! :D

Yeah, I grew up in Boston. Why would I root for the Bucks lol? I like Giannis but not gonna change my team because of a player. Those come and go. Just like Giannis will likely at some point.

buckalis
08-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I grew up in Boston. Why would I root for the Bucks lol? I like Giannis but not gonna change my team because of a player. Those come and go. Just like Giannis will likely at some point.

Ha noooo... Your team is PAO... you are a Celtics supporter because they share the same colors and team-badge... Mil is also "green" though and has co-nation to you players... So, you are kind of a traitor :D Besides... I know many Boston fans that jumped boat to Mil after Giannis was drafted... My cousins that are in New Heaven Conn with their families among them.

buckalis
08-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Serbia has beaten Turkey 87-72 for the Acropolis tournament in an easier than what the score suggests evening... Jokic had 18pts, Bogdanovic 17 but was the best player on the court. It was obvious during the game that Jokic needs to loose weight... Greece vs. Italy comes up next...

buckalis
08-16-2019, 04:24 PM
83-63 for Greece against Italy on the other game of the Acropolis tournament tonight... The Italians were without Gallinari and Dantome who are recovering from injury so that they can be in the FIBA world cup to help the Italian team...

Less that 18mins for Giannis this evening with 18pts, 9rebs, some assists and some blocks in a very good performance that cause his coach to withdraw him from the game in only the 6th minute of the 3rd quarter, so that he can test extensively what the line up should be when Giannis takes a breather, but also to decide who the remaining 2 players that he should cut should be. (the difference when Giannis left the court was up to 26pts. with a quarter and a half remaining)

Thanasis Antetokounmpo was really impressive...

The cooperation of the Hellenic National team and the Bucks was made official tonight as the Bucks have assigned their chief physiotherapist Laura Tietjen with team Greece (she officially was declared as member of the coaching crew and will follow the team to China). U.S.A. ambassador in Greece (a known fan of the sport and Giannis admirer) also attended the game with his wife.

Heediot
08-16-2019, 05:27 PM
Well Canada beat the Aussies. Australia perimeter defense is lacking, so there's a chance to win the group. Both the Aussies and Lithuania aren't strong with individual perimeter defenders and Canada has more athletes on the perimeter for the Cup.

Aron Baynes who a physical presence didn't play for the Boomers. Cory Joseph was out for Canada.

NBA all the way
08-16-2019, 09:47 PM
PJ Tucker dropped due to an ankle injury.

PAOboston
08-17-2019, 04:47 AM
Ha noooo... Your team is PAO... you are a Celtics supporter because they share the same colors and team-badge... Mil is also "green" though and has co-nation to you players... So, you are kind of a traitor :D Besides... I know many Boston fans that jumped boat to Mil after Giannis was drafted... My cousins that are in New Heaven Conn with their families among them.

Iím a PAO fan because my dad was one so thatís sort of how I grew up. Cs were my first professional sports love in Boston. Nothing really to do with colors. Thatís just a weird coincidence.

As for being a traitor, not really following your logic. Iím not going to switch teams just because a Greek player is on another team. He isnít the first Greek player to play in the NBA.

I do like Giannis though and generally root for him to do well. He is humble and is a good representative of Greece. Heís truly proud to call himself a Greek. I wish Greece had more people like him.

buckalis
08-17-2019, 05:59 AM
Iím a PAO fan because my dad was one so thatís sort of how I grew up. Cs were my first professional sports love in Boston. Nothing really to do with colors. Thatís just a weird coincidence.

As for being a traitor, not really following your logic. Iím not going to switch teams just because a Greek player is on another team. He isnít the first Greek player to play in the NBA.

I do like Giannis though and generally root for him to do well. He is humble and is a good representative of Greece. Heís truly proud to call himself a Greek. I wish Greece had more people like him.

I'm obviously only teasing you mate... :cheers:

buckalis
08-17-2019, 05:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0qQ6EVQ85E

buckalis
08-17-2019, 01:02 PM
Serbia vs. Italy 96-64 today for the Acropolis tournament... The Italians without Dantome, Gallinari and Melli are expected to be much better for the FIBA world cap where all three will be back... Jokic 20pts. Greece vs. Turkey coming up next, Serbia vs. Greece and Turkey vs. Italy tomorrow...

warfelg
08-17-2019, 01:18 PM
D'Aaron Fox out for Team USA.

NBA all the way
08-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Pop only has to cut 1 guy. Might as well just roll the dice on who it'll be at this point.

buckalis
08-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Pop only has to cut 1 guy. Might as well just roll the dice on who it'll be at this point.

I think after P.J. Tucker has withdrawn (after an ankle groin) there are 12 left...

buckalis
08-17-2019, 04:18 PM
84 - 70 for the Greeks against the Turks in the "Acropolis tournament"... The Hellenic team kept trying different roster formations around Giannis for three quarters and again didn't use Giannis at all during the 4th quarter. This time Giannis had his minutes splited between playing CF and PF, while the starting center (Bourousis) was not used at all in the game...

Unfortunately combo guard Sloukas, a key rotation piece for the Greek team, wasn't used either due to an injury he suffered against Italy (he was hit on his left leg from behind by the knee of Italy's Tessitori on a dirty play) but he is hoped to be back just before the World cup tournament starts...

Exiting performance by all three (Giannis, Thanasis and Ilyasova) Bucks players on the court, but of 76ers Korkmaz too...

Tomorrow, Greece vs. Serbia and Turkey vs. Italy...

Heediot
08-17-2019, 04:46 PM
Watching all these Euro and international teams, it seems like USA and Canada have a bunch of entitled players. Especially Canada, where the country has done **** at in international play. All the euro heavyweights have guys lining up to play whereas the north american teams have guys lining up excuses.

Maybe its the culture and social ethos. Where N.A. is too heavy on individualism. I think the balance between personal outlook/well being/goals vs. national ones shows a big disparity when you compare the continents.

Canada did well despite losing today, they are well coached with Nurse leading the way. He is getting a bunch of scrubs to compete. He didn't play the main minute loggers outside of Birch much today. He's still trying to figure out who deserves minutes.

NBA all the way
08-17-2019, 05:04 PM
Calathes inbounds pass off Wilbekin's back to himself for the layup :laugh2:

buckalis
08-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Calathes inbounds pass off Wilbekin's back to himself for the layup :laugh2:

Yes... the most intelligent play in the game... Calathes was to bring the ball back from the Turkish defense base line, Wibekin had his back turned cause he was looking to guard a potential Greek receiver in the painted area, so Calathes decided to inbounce the ball on his back and have the layup himself... :D

NBA all the way
08-17-2019, 05:11 PM
The final 13 for team USA, for those keeping count

1. Kemba
2. Mitchell
3. Middleton
4. Tatum
5. Turner
6. Barnes
7. Kuzma
8. Harris
9. Plumlee
10. Lopez
11. Brown
12. Smart
13. White

buckalis
08-17-2019, 05:29 PM
The final 13 for team USA, for those keeping count

1. Kemba
2. Mitchell
3. Middleton
4. Tatum
5. Turner
6. Barnes
7. Kuzma
8. Harris
9. Plumlee
10. Lopez
11. Brown
12. Smart
13. White

Well... I believe the "bigs" are all secure because Pops knows the physicality there will be involved in these games... Then, it can't be a PG cause he hasn't have enough or one that can play PG in case of emergency... therefore Middleton and Mitchell should also be secure next to the PGs... Out of the others, i think he will choose to "cut" Barnes...

warfelg
08-17-2019, 08:06 PM
If Smart isn't healthy he's out. Simple as that.

NBA all the way
08-17-2019, 11:03 PM
If Smart isn't healthy he's out. Simple as that.

I believe he was just cleared.

buckalis
08-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Actually Pops is taking all 13 players with him to the trip in Australia and will decide who to cut later... He has until August the 30th to declare the final 12...

buckalis
08-18-2019, 01:06 PM
Turkey has beaten Italy 72-70 for the 3rd place of the Acropolis tournament in Athens... The Turks had a 24-9 run during the 4th quarter in order to take the game. Italy is still without Gallinari, Dantome and Melli due to injuries, which they will have back for the World cup tournament.

Greece vs. Serbia coming up in 20 minutes.

NBA all the way
08-18-2019, 01:13 PM
https://hoopshype.com/2019/08/17/world-cup-rosters-whos-competing-in-china/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-latest-news

Pretty cool read of all the rosters for world cup. Shows current and former NBA players on each squad. Obviously before the final 12 man rosters are announced.

warfelg
08-18-2019, 02:14 PM

It's been reported that though cleared, the final decision on his availability will be determined by Celtics team doctors and risk of re-aggrivation.

NBA all the way
08-18-2019, 02:27 PM
It's been reported that though cleared, the final decision on his availability will be determined by Celtics team doctors and risk of re-aggrivation.

Makes sense, it's why a couple of the guys have pulled out, not just from team USA but other countries as well. Which, NBA teams have to protect their investments, so it's understandable.

tp13baby
08-18-2019, 03:29 PM
Serbia just beat Greece without Jokic.....

Heediot
08-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Serbia packing the paint late forcing the Antentekuompo bros try to beat them from range. Younger dude made one to send it to OT. Looks like Serbia will end up with the W without Jokic. Giannis was pretty invisible late.

VCaintdead17
08-18-2019, 03:42 PM

Giannis' foul cost them the game. Sad!

Heediot
08-18-2019, 03:42 PM
Greece needs Sloukas badly. He is clutch and fits better beside Giannis vs. Calathes. Both Calathes and Giannis need the ball do the O can revolve around their play making. Sloukas is better off the ball and far better shooter vs. Calathes as well.

Let Calathes play off the Bench with Bourousis and younger Ante... It helps with the depth too and gives better bench pkay this way probably.

NBA all the way
08-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Yup, I caught most of the OT period on YouTube. It was a nail biter towards the end there.

NBA all the way
08-18-2019, 03:59 PM
Greece needs Sloukas badly. He is clutch and fits better beside Giannis vs. Calathes. Both Calathes and Giannis need the ball do the O can revolve around their play making. Sloukas is better off the ball and far better shooter vs. Calathes as well.

Let Calathes play off the Bench with Bourousis and younger Ante... It helps with the depth too and gives better bench pkay this way probably.

Thanasis is actually older than Giannis, for what it's worth.

buckalis
08-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Yup, I caught most of the OT period on YouTube. It was a nail biter towards the end there.

Just came back from the game...

As I expected, both coaches tried to hide as much as they could from one another, but both tried to win... Greece - Serbia 80-85 in O/T should let them both satisfied. Coach Djorgevic didn't use Jokic at all, Coach Skourtopoulos, other than having Sloukas injured (he will be with the team in the World cup though - may miss a couple of games before he is 100% ready), he also left out Papanikolaou and Papapetrou who both were starters in the previous games, but the Greeks were also very unfortunate, because they lost their 2nd PG Athinaiou for good... Unfortunately, Athinaiou had his ACL tore just after the 2nd quarter started...

As it looks, coach Skourtopoulos may have to call back PG Matzaris which he has ruled out of the 12 last week. Sloukas is a combo guard and would normally start at 2 with some minutes at PG in internal rotation (much like Brogdon was with the Bucks if I can bring up a resemblance), but coach Skourtopoulos will have lineups with Papanikolaou or Thanasis (like he tried for the first time today) at 2, in order to take advantage of having a good length player with ultra fast legs so that he can take the "mission" and guard the opponent's best scorer...

PAOboston
08-19-2019, 06:11 AM
The Serbia game was an example of why I donít think Greece has what it takes to win. The Serbs packed the paint and made it very hard for Greece and Giannis to get to the paint. Also, their lack of shooting showed as they missed numerous open shots. That being said, Papanikolaou and Papapetrou didnít dress so that might be slightly attributed to that in regards to their ability to shoot.

Thanasis and Bourousis has good games for Greece. I donít understand any sort of value that Printezis brings outside of being a wanna be Shawn Marion with the shots he takes (and misses). Overall, fun game to attend. OAKA gets pretty loud.

buckalis
08-19-2019, 07:09 AM
The Serbia game was an example of why I donít think Greece has what it takes to win. The Serbs packed the paint and made it very hard for Greece and Giannis to get to the paint. Also, their lack of shooting showed as they missed numerous open shots. That being said, Papanikolaou and Papapetrou didnít dress so that might be slightly attributed to that in regards to their ability to shoot.

Thanasis and Bourousis has good games for Greece. I donít understand any sort of value that Printezis brings outside of being a wanna be Shawn Marion with the shots he takes (and misses). Overall, fun game to attend. OAKA gets pretty loud.

As I've said earlier, in these games coaches try to hide as much as possible out of their final tactics they'll be executing on the floor during the FIBA world cup... Therefore they more looked to have their players to "get to know" their opponents and conclude how matches or mismatches can work to their benefit when the time for the crucial game comes up...

This is the usual case, especially if (national) teams that have the same tasks are having preparation games against opponents that are expected to be meeting each other at the later stages of the world cup...

It is therefore too early to come into conclusions at this stage, or judge players performance... IMO, we'll see a completely different game when the time comes and these teams meet again sometime at the late stages of the world cup... Coach Djorgevic clearly kept Jokic out, because other than Giannis the rest of the Greek players know little about him and then mostly out of video... Coach Skourtopoulos OTOH, kept Papanikolaou and Papapetrou out because he wanted to hide the tactics he'll be finally using as to guard the Serbian's ability to long shoot effectively, but also to hide the tactics he will use as to "free" Giannis from being double or triple guarded...

I expect the rematch between these two teams in the FIBA world cup to be a thrilling match and the result to highly influence the final ranking in the tournament... just my two cents.

buckalis
08-21-2019, 08:06 AM
Only 10 days remaining before the jump ball that will initiate the World cup. Team USA is in Australia where they'll have two games against the Boomers starting today and another against Canada before they take the plane to China. Greece is already in China in order to have the players adapting to the climate where they'll participate on another 8 team preparation tournament (the "Atlas" tournament - starting on the 23rd) against China, Senegal, Venezuela, Turkey, Puerto Rico, Jordan & Domenican Republic, in which the 1st round will be a knock out and then the final four will play against each other.

Heediot
08-22-2019, 06:37 AM
Every time Brook Lopez is on the floor, Aussies get comfortable and go on a run.

buckalis
08-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Every time Brook Lopez is on the floor, Aussies get comfortable and go on a run.

Actually this 2nd Quarter run to close the half down by only 1pt, had nothing to do with Lopez being on the floor for team USA...

Never the less, Pop's ability to read the game well and make the adjustments needed in order to mismatch his opponent on the 3rd quarter, is what won the game for team USA... If a team wins the game in the 3rd quarter, it's always the coach that is the reason behind it.

NBA all the way
08-22-2019, 10:23 AM
I'm sure the minute allocation will change exhibition to exhibition but just to keep an eye on it. Smart with 0 minutes, White with 2, Lopez with 6 and Plumlee with 9. I'd have to say those guys are probably the most in danger of being cut.

buckalis
08-22-2019, 11:00 AM
I'm sure the minute allocation will change exhibition to exhibition but just to keep an eye on it. Smart with 0 minutes, White with 2, Lopez with 6 and Plumlee with 9. I'd have to say those guys are probably the most in danger of being cut.

He won't risk cutting a "big"... He only has three and needs them all in crucial games where there is gonna be much physical contact, CF is the most foul prone position and he also has to count for a possible injury... No PF able to play sbCF either within the roster...

PAOboston
08-22-2019, 11:19 AM
Kemba was great in the second half. Turner was awesome today.

NBA all the way
08-22-2019, 11:31 AM
Kemba was great in the second half. Turner was awesome today.

Yeah, I think the starters are probably just about set. For sure Kemba and Mitchell in the backcourt. Turner at 5. I think Barnes probably at one of the 2 forward positions. I would say Tatum at the other but he came off the bench today, mayb Pop looking for scoring punch.

Heediot
08-22-2019, 11:50 AM
Actually this 2nd Quarter run to close the half down by only 1pt, had nothing to do with Lopez being on the floor for team USA...

Never the less, Pop's ability to read the game well and make the adjustments needed in order to mismatch his opponent on the 3rd quarter, is what won the game for team USA... If a team wins the game in the 3rd quarter, it's always the coach that is the reason behind it.

Maybe wrong place, wrong time for Brook, but it seemed like when he was on the floor, the Aussies crept back in. I didn't look up the stats though. Was betting on the game.

Heediot
08-22-2019, 11:55 AM
He won't risk cutting a "big"... He only has three and needs them all in crucial games where there is gonna be much physical contact, CF is the most foul prone position and he also has to count for a possible injury... No PF able to play sbCF either within the roster...

Yeah he'll need some bigs versus Serbia.

Serbia has 4 legit pure 5's in Jokic, Boban, Radulicjia and Milutinov. They've been experimenting a lot with 2 c's lineups in the exhibition games.

Greece and Spain have size too.

I think Australia doesn't have an offensive player that can take over. They have a bunch of complementary players only that squad. Maybe Mills might have to step up in that role. Ingles and Mills are better playing off a guy like that though.

Heediot
08-22-2019, 12:00 PM
damn just looking over the Serbian world cup roster. They have no one shorter then 6'6''. Those asian squads are probably begging not to see Serbia.

buckalis
08-22-2019, 12:01 PM
Maybe wrong place, wrong time for Brook, but it seemed like when he was on the floor, the Aussies crept back in. I didn't look up the stats though. Was betting on the game.

I saw the game on screen... The Aussie's had that run in the end of 2nd quarter because they drained the 3s... that has nothing to do with Brolo! Also, team USA had some "foolish" drives by their wings and guards during the same period...

NBA all the way
08-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Yeah, he was tied for a team worst -12 alongside Middleton. +/- isn't everything but the score wasn't in USA's favor with Brook out there today.

buckalis
08-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Truth is that the lighting on the that court was very strange and many players were confused... It was like if it was a theater or something... Middleton was complaining later, because his peripheral vision couldn't work properly...

Everything around the court was in the dark and only the court was evenly lit and then with lower intensity lighting than usual... The players could see the crowed and could only hear the screaming but couldn't see it... Then the rim was popping out from the dark, the board looked dark and the players could even see the bench or their coach...

PAOboston
08-22-2019, 08:08 PM
Smart named a team captain. 100% making the team. So who gets cut? Had to be White at this point.

tredigs
08-23-2019, 12:23 AM
Smart named a team captain. 100% making the team. So who gets cut? Had to be White at this point.

Lmfao for real he's a captain?

Jesus Christ Team USA is trolling the world at this point. If they win whatever this competition is it will be so rude (assuming other nations care or are trying).

buckalis
08-23-2019, 02:26 PM

Jesus Christ Team USA is trolling the world at this point. If they win whatever this competition is it will be so rude (assuming other nations care or are trying).

It's usual in world basketball to name captain the most experienced, the one that has had the more games than the rest.

NBA all the way
08-23-2019, 03:11 PM
It's usual in world basketball to name captain the most experienced, the one that has had the more games than the rest.
Players career regular season games played.

Lopez 717
Kemba 605
Barnes 540
Plumlee 471
Middleton 455
Smart 341
Turner 280
Harris 262
Brown 222
Tatum 159
Mitchell 156
Kuzma 147
White 84

Well, there goes that theory.

VCaintdead17
08-23-2019, 04:35 PM

I don't see why its particularly egregious to have Marcus Smart as a captain. If he's a good leader and the other players listen to him, why not? I don't think being a captain is necessarily synonymous with being the most skilled.

buckalis
08-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Players career regular season games played.

Lopez 717
Kemba 605
Barnes 540
Plumlee 471
Middleton 455
Smart 341
Turner 280
Harris 262
Brown 222
Tatum 159
Mitchell 156
Kuzma 147
White 84

Well, there goes that theory.

Yeah... but the captain (s) has to be a starter too and take significant minutes... and since Kemba was also named a captain, that leaves Smart to be "the captain of the bench"... Which then means that Brolo won't take significant minutes...

NBA all the way
08-23-2019, 05:39 PM
I don't see why its particularly egregious to have Marcus Smart as a captain. If he's a good leader and the other players listen to him, why not? I don't think being a captain is necessarily synonymous with being the most skilled.

I'm not positive but I think he's more so surprised because Smart hasn't played in any scrimmages or exhibitions for team USA yet. He was only cleared physically a week ago. Not so much skill based, I could be wrong but that's how I interrupted it.

buckalis
08-23-2019, 06:05 PM
I'm not positive but I think he's more so surprised because Smart hasn't played in any scrimmages or exhibitions for team USA yet. He was only cleared physically a week ago. Not so much skill based, I could be wrong but that's how I interrupted it.

What we miss here is that coach Pops named three captains... all guards... Kemba, Mitchel and Smart... It only means that he wants the guards to organize the game and then that through the rotation, at least one out of those three will be on the floor... He just chose the ones that he foresees they "read the game" better than the rest as to execute his tactical game better...

buckalis
08-23-2019, 06:39 PM
Coaches Pops and Kerr speak about Middleton & Lopez...

https://www.facebook.com/milwaukeebu...3752496014887/

I really think that the Bucks (but the Celtics too) are so fortunate to have 5 players participating in the FIBA world cup... The experience the players are gonna get out of playing against some of the best world teams in tactics is simply irreplaceable... Working with coach Pops and then at that level and under the responsibility of having to contend for the world title, should also be another irreplaceable experience...

I therefore expect all Giannis, Middleton, Lopez, Thanasis (even more so from him) and Ilyasova (maybe less so 'cause he is the only one that has had the experience twice before - good example on how his game advanced as to help him in his long NBA career though) to step up on another level for the Bucks for next season...

People usually underestimate how beneficial for the players this experience can be...

I therefore wouldn't underestimate the Celtics as much as some people do for next season either... Kemba, Tatum, Brown and Smart will return much better players from this tournament too...

buckalis
08-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Many people missed this saying from coach Djordjevic of Serbia:
https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/08/serbia-head-coach-on-team-usa
"if we meet may god help them" he said (for team USA)...

This was coach Pops and Kemba's reaction when they were informed and asked to reply:
(second part of the article)
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27383352/popovich-kaepernick-did-very-patriotic-thing

Heediot
08-24-2019, 05:55 AM
As expected, it's the USA defense that has a learning and adjustment period. Didn't see the game, but the score has me believing they were struggling on that end.

NBA all the way
08-24-2019, 09:04 AM
As expected, it's the USA defense that has a learning and adjustment period. Didn't see the game, but the score has me believing they were struggling on that end.
Shot like crap, got outrebounded and had a crappy assist to turnover ratio. But yeah if Mills goes off for 30, that's an issue. Or probably more so Bogut with 16 and 9.

buckalis
08-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Actually you really have to watch the game in video as to come up with safe conclusions... I've claimed before that "I know more basketball than anyone in this forum" but just take it as my opinion for the moment and see if you agree after you watch the game...

My opinion is this:

1. Every time Pops played Turner for center, team USA was a class above...
2. Pops didn't care about the result, he just used took the opportunity and tested things (even "crazy" ones at some point)
3. Every time that "slow leg" Lopez or Plumlee was on the floor, the Boomers had a "party" in the paint.
4. Pops insisted to play Turner for minimal time although he was the most effective, which means that he didn't care about the result...
5. Pops ended the game without a CF at all on the floor, thus "giving" the game to the boomers... Obviously he was testing instead if it can be Plumlee the 13th that he "cuts off" and go into the tournament with only two centers... The result was that the boomers won the game by (entirely misleading to safe conclusions) 10 points, which most probably means that Pops has dropped the idea of "walking in there" with only two centers...

IMO, (which is what I claim to say to be one of an expert), team USA has one handicap that the Serbians and Greeks have spotted... Two out of their three centers are "slow leg" and that's where they'll hit them... Aussies or Canada or Lithuania or Spain or France, won't be a problem for team USA, because they outmatch those teams by a far margin on the wings... but Serbians and Greeks will be a problem... only my 2 ...thousands of pounds!

PAOboston
08-24-2019, 10:26 AM
Sounds like Kuzma was the one that got cut.

Lots of experimentation from Pop today. Not a big fan of White or Plumlee getting minutes.

NBA all the way
08-24-2019, 10:37 AM

Lots of experimentation from Pop today. Not a big fan of White or Plumlee getting minutes.

Yup, Kuzma hurt his ankle. Can't believe the Celtics make up 33% of the team USA roster.

buckalis
08-24-2019, 10:41 AM

Saying "Sounds like Kuzma was the one that got cut" is actually what makes you a complete ignorant on the game... Kuzma wasn't used exactly because he has his place secured... Pops tested two things in this game...
1. If it will a "big" or a "wing" he cuts...
2. He played the players that he would have to choose among on who to "cut"...

Therefore, not playing Kuzma, makes Kyle secure on his roll with the final roster...

buckalis
08-24-2019, 10:44 AM
yup, kuzma hurt his ankle. Can't believe the celtics make up 33% of the team usa roster.

bs...

buckalis
08-24-2019, 10:48 AM
It will be White or Barnes the one that will be "cut"...

EDIT: If I was in Pops place, I would cut White out of the two... but I'm not...

EDIT-2: That said (cutting White) Pops tested giving Middleton minutes at PG in this game... (it was previously tested with his ex-assistant Budenholzer this past season with much success with the Bucks)...

NBA all the way
08-24-2019, 01:21 PM
It will be White or Barnes the one that will be "cut"...

EDIT: If I was in Pops place, I would cut White out of the two... but I'm not...

EDIT-2: That said (cutting White) Pops tested giving Middleton minutes at PG in this game... (it was previously tested with his ex-assistant Budenholzer this past season with much success with the Bucks)...

Wrong, per usual.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-roster-update-lakers-kyle-kuzma-out-due-to-ankle-injury-12-player-squad-finalized-for-2019-fiba-world-cup/amp/

"as Kyle Kuzma was cut due to ankle injury".

buckalis
08-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Wrong, per usual.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-roster-update-lakers-kyle-kuzma-out-due-to-ankle-injury-12-player-squad-finalized-for-2019-fiba-world-cup/amp/

"as Kyle Kuzma was cut due to ankle injury".

ok then... why "wrong per usual"? Ankle Injuries can be more or less serious and are judged appropriately with the coaching team, depending on the available time and the needs the team has... Sorry for Kyle... I really think he did worth to be in this tournament...

EDIT: Another loss for coach Pops then as he lost (due to injury) one of his best -if not the best- scorers... I'm sure that neither the Serbians or the Greeks will be sorry for his scoring missing (against them) however...

buckalis
08-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Greece has beaten Jordan 92-65 in a game that was painful for my eyes to watch... I therefore won't comment on any details or (non existent) conclusions out of this game that shouldn't even exist...

buckalis
08-26-2019, 06:40 AM
The rest of the 1st round results of the ATLAS tournament:

Venezuela has beaten Senegal 81-74, Turkey has beaten Porto Rico 72-64 and Domenican reb. has beaten China 87-72 for the 1st round (next to Greece than has beaten Jordan a day before)...

For places 5-8 (among the teams that lost in the 1st round) Senegal has beaten Port Rico 90-61.

In the other game for places 1-4 (among the teams that won in the 1st round) Venezuela has beaten Turkey 71-68 (I guess the surprising result of the tournament) and was promoted to the finals, where they will play against the winner out of Greece vs. the Domenican Rep. on a game that follows in an hour from now.

buckalis
08-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Greece has beaten the Dominican Rep. 87-75 and therefore the final of the ATLAS tournament will be Greece vs, Venezuela.

buckalis
08-26-2019, 05:18 PM
Team USA had an easy win at 84-68 over Canada this evening in Australia... Donovan Mitchel continued his brilliant performances with USA's National team in a game that he scored 19... Coach Popovic seems to have at least settled on four out of the five starters, with Kemba Walker being the PG, Mitchel the SG, Tatum the PF and Turner the starting CF with only the SF starter remaining to be decided... Interesting that coach Pops has being testing playing many of Middleton's minutes at SG, while OTOH giving Harris as well Jaylen Brown many minutes at SF...

buckalis
08-27-2019, 07:07 AM
Earning money online is very easy now days. Earns every month online more than $17k by doing very easy home based job in part time. Last month i have made $19754 from this job just in my spare time which is only 2 hrs a day. Very easy work to do and earning from this are awesome. Everybody can get this right now and start earning cash online by follow instructions on this web page.............

↡↡↡↡ COPY THIS WEBSITE ↡↡↡↡

HERE →→→→ www.LifeStylesNet.com

ADMIIIIIIIIIINS! A crook here!

buckalis
08-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Greece vs. Venezuela for the ATLAS tournament finals, starts in 10 mins, watch live (for free) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f895UIZi9e8

buckalis
08-27-2019, 09:37 AM
71-54 for Greece against Venezuela, in a game that coach Skourtopoulos wisely decided not to use Giannis at all, but decided instead to concentrate in team chemistry and system execution on the floor... Kostas Sloukas is back with practicing with the team, but he is not expected to be used against Montenegro in the first game of the tournament, his status will be re-evaluated before team Hellas has its 2nd game.

NBA all the way
08-27-2019, 12:09 PM
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/924328/giannis-antetokounmpo-out-of-final-prep-game/amp/

Giannis set, due to an aggravated knee injury.

buckalis
08-27-2019, 01:38 PM
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/fibawc/924328/giannis-antetokounmpo-out-of-final-prep-game/amp/

Giannis set, due to an aggravated knee injury.

No injury mate... The coach wanted to try some more things with the team without Giannis, but because the Chinese are packing the arenas as to watch Giannis and scream like mad everytime he has the ball, they announced a precaution set for Giannis just before the game in order to have an excuse for not playing him... Giannis was there and was signing autographs with the crowed as well as helping the coach with some additional ...coaching duties!

LeonFSU
08-27-2019, 03:05 PM
I haven't really followed the decisions on the final US roster that closely, but what seemed to be the basis be for choosing Plumlee over Adebayo?

NBA all the way
08-27-2019, 03:24 PM
I haven't really followed the decisions on the final US roster that closely, but what seemed to be the basis be for choosing Plumlee over Adebayo?

Bam got cut super early in the process. My personal opinion is, Plumlee's history with team USA did him a lot of favors

buckalis
08-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Bam got cut super early in the process. My personal opinion is, Plumlee's history with team USA did him a lot of favors

Adebayo wasn't cut... was he? I believe he denied the invitation...

NBA all the way
08-27-2019, 04:18 PM
Adebayo wasn't cut... was he? I believe he denied the invitation...

www.hothothoops.com/platform/amp/2019/8/10/20799910/bam-adebayo-cut-from-team-usa-jerry-colangelo-thaddeus-young-mason-plumlee-kemba-walker-kyle-kuzma

buckalis
08-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Earning money online is very easy now days. Earns every month online more than $17k by doing very easy home based job in part time. Last month i have made $19754 from this job just in my spare time which is only 2 hours a day. Very easy work to do and earning from this are awesome. Everybody can get this right now and start earning cash online by follow instructions on this webpage.............

↡↡↡↡ COPY THIS WEBSITE ↡↡↡↡

HERE →→→→ www.LifeStylesNet.com

Admiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins! CROOK!

buckalis
08-28-2019, 03:13 PM
More endorsements for Giannis in China... "the Greek Freak" comic released!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=-4-UzozWvEs

tredigs
08-28-2019, 09:18 PM
Crazy how the FIFA World Cup is this global phenomenon that demands the attention of the people from Equador to the US to France to Japan; The pinnacle of all competition. And the FIBA World Cup can't even get players to join their teams.

Heediot
08-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Crazy how the FIFA World Cup is this global phenomenon that demands the attention of the people from Equador to the US to France to Japan; The pinnacle of all competition. And the FIBA World Cup can't even get players to join their teams.

The Euro and SA teams don't have issues with getting guys to play. It's mostly USA and Canada who are full of entitled players.

NBA all the way
08-29-2019, 07:14 PM
https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-news-steve-kerr-says-gregg-popovich-trusts-harrison-barnes/amp/

Very good article about how Pop trusts Barnes the most on the team, because of his championship pedigree.

Which is funny because someone on here swore he was going to be cut, lol

buckalis
08-29-2019, 10:18 PM
https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-news-steve-kerr-says-gregg-popovich-trusts-harrison-barnes/amp/

Very good article about how Pop trusts Barnes the most on the team, because of his championship pedigree.

Which is funny because someone on here swore he was going to be cut, lol

LOL or not, somebody would have been cut if Kuzma wasn't hurt... and that "somebody", wouldn't have been a "big", or a "guard"... therefore with the ability that Kuzma and Tatum have to handle SF or PF equally well and because Middleton can handle excellent both PG and SG with his advanced playmaking skills it would be either Barnes or Joe Harris that Pops would be sorry to cut...

tredigs
08-29-2019, 10:30 PM
The Euro and SA teams don't have issues with getting guys to play. It's mostly USA and Canada who are full of entitled players.

USA just doesn't care and who can blame them? They sent the C squad and are still favorites. Canada doing it is super strange and funny though. It's almost like they're trying to act cool.

More than anything though it just illuminates how much more powerful soccer/football is as a global sport (not that this was ever a question).

buckalis
08-29-2019, 11:05 PM
USA just doesn't care and who can blame them? They sent the C squad and are still favorites. Canada doing it is super strange and funny though. It's almost like they're trying to act cool.

More than anything though it just illuminates how much more powerful soccer/football is as a global sport (not that this was ever a question).

IMO, the prestige of the FIBA world cup is higher with the rest of the world than North America... If NBA and FIBA could agree on merging the rules so that the game has the same rules all over the world, then things could be ideal for the sport and prestige and interest would rise...

Look at Rugby and American football for instance or cricket and baseball... They are practically at the bottom of the world's interest cause the rules differ... Football (soccer) is by far the most popular game worldwide because it is the only game that there is only one book of rules... Basketball is 2nd in popularity worldwide, because the rules differ less than other games... If there is one "book of rules" worldwide agreed with basketball too, the popularity of the game will rise further...

tredigs
08-30-2019, 12:44 AM
IMO, the prestige of the FIBA world cup is higher with the rest of the world than North America... If NBA and FIBA could agree on merging the rules so that the game has the same rules all over the world, then things could be ideal for the sport and prestige and interest would rise...

Look at Rugby and American football for instance or cricket and baseball... They are practically at the bottom of the world's interest cause the rules differ... Football (soccer) is by far the most popular game worldwide because it is the only game that there is only one book of rules... Basketball is 2nd in popularity worldwide, because the rules differ less than other games... If there is one "book of rules" worldwide agreed with basketball too, the popularity of the game will rise further... It's much more than that with international football/soccer. Soccer is an older game where the basis of the game can be played alone, 1v1, 2v2, on and on. And with no "field" or especially hoop/rim necessary. Just easier access for everyone. It's also ridiculously fun. My sport of choice above all and the one I went through college with personally.

But as the world as a whole grows richer bball and baseball have their chance to cut into the mix (football doesn't, too much equipment and too many players needed for a real game). No sport will ever touch soccer though. Rules are essentially the same everywhere for baseball and basketball by the way. It's certainly not different enough to make a fundamental difference in understanding from Puerto Rico to the USA to Japan.

As for FIBA being more prestigious to the rest of the world, even if true (I think it is to a slight extent), the USA not giving it any respect certainly diminishes it's relevance quite a bit. But If the world ever actually catches up in basketball and has a few nations that challenge the USA where they feel a need to represent, it could make for a really fun tournament. As is? I would be shocked if 1/200 Americans know it is about to begin. Ditto the world (maybe 7/200 If we want to bestow it a robust international prestige). If it was the FIFA World Cup 190/200 world citizens would know it was about to begin (ditto USA citizens, where most don't care about the sport)..

buckalis
08-30-2019, 02:22 AM
It's much more than that with international football/soccer. Soccer is an older game where the basis of the game can be played alone, 1v1, 2v2, on and on. And with no "field" or especially hoop/rim necessary. Just easier access for everyone. It's also ridiculously fun. My sport of choice above all and the one I went through college with personally.

But as the world as a whole grows richer bball and baseball have their chance to cut into the mix (football doesn't, too much equipment and too many players needed for a real game). No sport will ever touch soccer though. Rules are essentially the same everywhere for baseball and basketball by the way. It's certainly not different enough to make a fundamental difference in understanding from Puerto Rico to the USA to Japan.

As for FIBA being more prestigious to the rest of the world, even if true (I think it is to a slight extent), the USA not giving it any respect certainly diminishes it's relevance quite a bit. But If the world ever actually catches up in basketball and has a few nations that challenge the USA where they feel a need to represent, it could make for a really fun tournament. As is? I would be shocked if 1/200 Americans know it is about to begin. Ditto the world (maybe 7/200 If we want to bestow it a robust international prestige). If it was the FIFA World Cup 190/200 world citizens would know it was about to begin (ditto USA citizens, where most don't care about the sport)..

There are some rules in basketball that must change from both sides...

1. The basketball interference, it must be like in the NBA...
2. The "illegal defense"... that applies to the NBA only and is absolutely stupid... What "illegal defense" means? It must be like with FIBA...
3. They have to come in an agreement on the court size and the 3pt line... It affects coaching tactics on the court... With FIBA scoring is less because the court is a bit smaller and the 3pt line a bit closer to the rim... this makes it easier for coaches to spread the defense and guard the periphery, in the NBA it's almost impossible for a coach to spread the defense that wide and it ends up for most of the game to turn into "3pt contest" instead of basketball... Maybe the ideal would be to agree in-between the two extremes, but in any case the court must be the same...
4. The number of timeouts allowed and the time a quarter lasts... IMO the time outs should be like with FIBA, but the time of the quarters should be raised to 12mins like in the NBA...
5.The fouls allowed per player then... Should it be 5 or 6? IMO, it should be 6 (as long as the quarter lasts 12mins), but only for 4 out of the starting 5 roster that the team declares... then it should 5 for another 4 players that the team declares and then reduced down to 4 for the players remaining... Also, the players that can be used per game, it should be 12 like it is with FIBA...

Those are IMO the most important matters that should be taken care off, the rest of the differences
are far easier to agree upon, so that there is one book of rules...

The other thing that must be taken care off, doesn't have to do with the book of rules but is of major importance... There must be only one committee world wide that values referees... The refs in the NBA overlook traveling way too much... this must stop, traveling is cheating against the defender, it is in the book of rules in both the NBA and FIBA exactly the same and should never be allowed by some refs...

tredigs
08-30-2019, 02:51 AM

2. The "illegal defense"... that applies to the NBA only and is absolutely stupid... What "illegal defense" means? It must be like with FIBA...
3. They have to come in an agreement on the court size and the 3pt line... It affects coaching tactics on the court... With FIBA scoring is less because the court is a bit smaller and the 3pt line a bit closer to the rim... this makes it easier for coaches to spread the defense and guard the periphery, in the NBA it's almost impossible for a coach to spread the defense that wide and it ends up for most of the game to turn into "3pt contest" instead of basketball... Maybe the ideal would be to agree in-between the two extremes, but in any case the court must be the same...
4. The number of timeouts allowed and the time a quarter lasts... IMO the time outs should be like with FIBA, but the time of the quarters should be raised to 12mins like in the NBA...
5.The fouls allowed per player then... Should it be 5 or 6? IMO, it should be 6 (as long as the quarter lasts 12mins), but only for 4 out of the starting 5 roster that the team declares... then it should 5 for another 4 players that the team declares and then reduced down to 4 for the players remaining... Also, the players that can be used per game, it should be 12 like it is with FIBA...

Those are IMO the most important matters that should be taken care off, the rest of the differences

The other thing that must be taken care off, doesn't have to do with the book of rules but is of major importance... There must be only one committee world wide that values referees... The refs in the NBA overlook traveling way too much... this must stop, traveling is cheating against the defender, it is in the book of rules in both the NBA and FIBA exactly the same and should never be allowed by some refs...

Literally none of this matters as it pertains to global popularity/acceptance of the sport. What so ever.

There is a 0% chance it ever becomes 50% as popular as international football in our grandchildrens lifetime, and nobody will ever care about the FIBA games as long as the best team doesn't even care, but it's all good. Basketball is still an amazing sport.

Heediot
08-30-2019, 09:31 AM

Throw in unsportsmanlike fouls, which are ore legit outside the nba and you'll get rid of hack a who's.

You can only call timeouts when the ball isn't in play.

FIBA rules gives defenses more tools, nba is basically opposite in giving offenses as much tools as they can have.

buckalis
08-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Throw in unsportsmanlike fouls, which are ore legit outside the nba and you'll get rid of hack a who's.

You can only call timeouts when the ball isn't in play.

FIBA rules gives defenses more tools, nba is basically opposite in giving offenses as much tools as they can have.

Agree in the additional rules, indeed they try to diminish defense in the NBA...

By the way, the promotion isn't like I've said before in the world cup, they've changed it from what it used to be and it's now 2 promoting from each group of four... They say they've changed it because the teams that are participating have been raised to 32 from 24 it used to be...

Heediot
08-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Agree in the additional rules, indeed they try to diminish defense in the NBA...

By the way, the promotion isn't like I've said before in the world cup, they've changed it from what it used to be and it's now 2 promoting from each group of four... They say they've changed it because the teams that are participating have been raised to 32 from 24 it used to be...

Yeah that's what I was thinking when I was researching on the format this year.

If Canada cant qualify. I am very confident that Canada will get more nba guys next summer (especially pertaining to the Olympics, which these NA balllers feel is far more prestigious) and qualify for Tokyo. Just give us Jamal Murray + R, J, Barrett (both of whom attended the camp as non participating bodies), Olynyk (would of been in China if not for an injury in an exhibition), and Dwight Powell and we are good. With Nick Nurse leading the way, I love the chances. He is getting guys to buy in and play hard.

buckalis
08-31-2019, 10:29 AM
Opening day then with 8 games, turned out be "round up the usual suspects"... Serbia, Italy, Spain and Argentina have blown apart Angola, Philippines, Tunisia & S.Korea respectively. Poland and China had convincing wins against Ivory Coast and Venezuela, while Russia had a rough day before beating Nigeria at the final minutes and Puerto Rico had the "comeback of the day" to beat Iran by 2 points in the end of the game after being down by 18pts in the first half...

buckalis
09-01-2019, 11:28 AM
2nd day ended with again much expected results like the case was during the 1st day...

For the only group that looks to be "hot", Australia has beaten Canada 108-102, while on the other game for the same group, Lithuania destroyed Senegal 101-47 in a game where Lithuania tried to have the maximum possible points differential, so that they have an advantage if they drop the game against Canada... Dominican republic, France & Brazil had tight wins in interesting games to beat Germany (78-74), Jordan (80-76) and New Zealand respectively, while Turkey, USA and Greece had convincing wins against Japan, Czech Republic and Montenegro respectively.

Heediot
09-01-2019, 04:26 PM
I think Australia are like the ATL Hawks (Bud days). A well oiled machine that will be exposed when it matters. They have great chemistry but ultimately I think the US, Serbia, and Spain are superior. Greece and France and on par. The last two teams are more defensive oriented.

I wouldn't over-react of the the US loss to the Boomers in the exhibition. US played tight games vs. Serbia and Australia in RIO in the round robin, but showed their might when it mattered. Although this US team isn't nearly as talented. US defense turned it on in Rio, but they also had a Prime DJ, PG, Butler, Dray, Klay, Lowry etc... Most of those guys are all nba defenders, you'd be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 with this unit.

Serbia knows how to win close and late games.

Canada needs more talent. They play hard but the Boomers showed their weight in the 4th.

When I see Giannis play in FIBA he appears to be less effective, maybe he is more team oriented. But lanes are more clogged so that might be effecting his game on offense. Greece and France have a lot of talent and I believe both teas aren't as cohesive offensively as the other heavyweights.

Spain has lulling moments where they sleep walk and other moments when they dominate. Still they are seasoned and know how to win.

After 1 game/days of action, I think it'll be US and Serbia in the finals and Greece and Spain battle for the Bronze,

buckalis
09-01-2019, 05:00 PM
I think Australia are like the ATL Hawks (Bud days). A well oiled machine that will be exposed when it matters. They have great chemistry but ultimately I think the US, Serbia, and Spain are superior. Greece and France and on par. The last two teams are more defensive oriented.

I think you underestimate the Greeks... They are no where near France or Australia... They are superior to the Spanish too, but with them a "bad day" can make the difference disappear...

I wouldn't over-react of the the US loss to the Boomers in the exhibition. US played tight games vs. Serbia and Australia in RIO in the round robin, but showed their might when it mattered. Although this US team isn't nearly as talented. US defense turned it on in Rio, but they also had a Prime DJ, PG, Butler, Dray, Klay, Lowry etc... Most of those guys are all nba defenders, you'd be hard pressed to find 1 or 2 with this unit.

Serbia knows how to win close and late games. The preparation games can only lead to wrong conclusions... Coaches try to hide as much as they can from their opponents...

Canada needs more talent. They play hard but the Boomers showed their weight in the 4th.

When I see Giannis play in FIBA he appears to be less effective, maybe he is more team oriented. But lanes are more clogged so that might be effecting his game on offense. Greece and France have a lot of talent and I believe both teams aren't as cohesive offensively as the other heavyweights.

Spain has lulling moments where they sleep walk and other moments when they dominate. Still they are seasoned and know how to win.

After 1 game/days of action, I think it'll be US and Serbia in the finals and Greece and Spain battle for the Bronze,

If Dellavedova can score 24 against Canada, then yes, Canada needs more talent... I insist you underestimate the Greeks... they just "hide" Giannis (and more) for now... Spain is always a very dangerous team that can do "the damage" on superior teams... Out of USA, Greece and Serbia, the Greeks have the advantage that they can be a surprise against both in tactics, while they know how their opponents will be playing against them very well... Exactly the opposite is Serbia's disadvantage but it may be that they are the most talented in roster depth team in this tournament...

I believe the Greeks won't be starting Sloukas before they meet US and could be that they won't start him there either... It may be at a later stage against Serbia that they will... When it counts, the Greeks will be playing 2 playmakers on the floor which they will hide before...

Heediot
09-01-2019, 05:15 PM
I think you underestimate the Greeks... They are no where near France or Australia... They are superior to the Spanish too, but with them a "bad day" can make the difference disappear...

The preparation games can only lead to wrong conclusions... Coaches try to hide as much as they can from their opponents...

If Dellavedova can score 24 against Canada, then yes, Canada needs more talent... I insist you underestimate the Greeks... they just "hide" Giannis (and more) for now... Spain is always a very dangerous team that can do "the damage" on superior teams... Out of USA, Greece and Serbia, the Greeks have the advantage that they can be a surprise against both in tactics, while they know how their opponents will be playing against them very well... Exactly the opposite is Serbia's disadvantage but it may be that they are the most talented in roster depth team in this tournament...

I believe the Greeks won't be starting Sloukas before they meet US and could be that they won't start him there either... It may be at a later stage against Serbia that they will... When it counts, the Greeks will be playing 2 playmakers on the floor which they will hide before...

I have the greeks challenging for a medal. I am not under-estimating them. In This format they have a string enough team to win it all. I just believe more in the US coaching, Serbia and Spains experience and mettle. We will see buck, we will see...

I would put them ahead of France and Aus if that makes you happy :D:

NBA all the way
09-01-2019, 05:31 PM
I doubt Greece even medals.

buckalis
09-01-2019, 06:28 PM
I doubt Greece even medals.

Well... the way the groups matching is scheduled, the Greeks can't meet against USA untill the finals and they can't meet any out of Serbia or Spain until the final four (meaning the semi-finals)...

Therefore the most likely scenario is that USA, Serbia, Greece and Spain will be the final four...

tredigs
09-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Serbia's a better team than the U.S.A. in this tournament honestly. They'll win it.

buckalis
09-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Slightly different picture during the 3rd day...

Serbia destroyed Philippines 126-67 in a game that obviously was a pain to watch... As expected, Italy crashed Angola 92-61, while Venezuela had a convincing win against Ivory Coast 87-71, while Tunisia headed Iran 79-67...

Much more interesting was the game of China against Poland, where the two teams went head to head for three quarters (54 -57 for Poland after the 3rd) and then the mid game surprises came from S.Korea which was down only 3pts to Russia in the halftime (37-40 for Russia at the break), while in the biggest surprise of the day, Puerto Rico was only 1pt down to Spain at halftime (35-36 at the break)...

Eventually, the Russians entered the 2nd half dominating upon their opponents to convincingly end the game with +14pts (87-73), while The Spanish after entering the 2nd half on a convincing manner and made a difference of 14pts, they finally won the game by 10pts... (73-63).

China vs. Poland continued to battle each other head to head till the end of the game and then in O/T later, where Poland finally won the game by 3pts... (79-76)

Heediot
09-02-2019, 01:17 PM
Slightly different picture during the 3rd day...

Serbia destroyed Philippines 126-67 in a game that obviously was a pain to watch... As expected, Italy crashed Angola 92-61, while Venezuela had a convincing win against Ivory Coast 87-71, while Tunisia headed Iran 79-67...

Much more interesting was the game of China against Poland, where the two teams went head to head for three quarters (54 -57 for Poland after the 3rd) and then the mid game surprises came from S.Korea which was down only 3pts to Russia in the halftime (37-40 for Russia at the break), while in the biggest surprise of the day, Puerto Rico was only 1pt down to Spain at halftime (35-36 at the break)...

Eventually, the Russians entered the 2nd half dominating upon their opponents to convincingly end the game with +14pts (87-73), while The Spanish after entering the 2nd half on a convincing manner and made a difference of 14pts, they finally won the game by 10pts... (73-63).

China vs. Poland continued to battle each other head to head till the end of the game and then in O/T later, where Poland finally won the game by 3pts... (79-76)

Spain is a nice defensive team but sometimes the offense stagnates in the half court. Puerto played hard props to them.

China kind of choked in the last seconds of regulation.

Spain without pau doesn't seem as dangerous. Llull hasn't been the same llull prior to injury a year or two ago. Rudy is getting older and so are the gasol bros.

buckalis
09-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Spain is a nice defensive team but sometimes the offense stagnates in the half court. Puerto played hard props to them.

China kind of choked in the last seconds of regulation.

Spain without pau doesn't seem as dangerous. Llull hasn't been the same llull prior to injury a year or two ago. Rudy is getting older and so are the gasol bros.

Agree in all... Most probably the medals will be spread between USA, Serbia and Greece... The question that remains to be answered is the color of the medal each of the three will get... One can't help to notice that USA is noticeably handicapped with respect to the other two in their "bigs" matching... They only have Turner that is "fast leg" and no other... No PF/sbCF to pair him with either...

VCaintdead17
09-02-2019, 03:54 PM
Well... the way the groups matching is scheduled, the Greeks can't meet against USA untill the finals and they can't meet any out of Serbia or Spain until the final four (meaning the semi-finals)...

Therefore the most likely scenario is that USA, Serbia, Greece and Spain will be the final four...

Serbia would smoke Greece

buckalis
09-02-2019, 04:09 PM
Serbia would smoke Greece

Well supported statement... They will not "probably beat them" but "will surely smoke them"... I'm sure that Giannis and Sloukas agree with you! An advise just before I put you in my ignore (the 13th!)... "check your mental stability with your shrink!"

VCaintdead17
09-02-2019, 09:51 PM
Well supported statement... They will not "probably beat them" but "will surely smoke them"... I'm sure that Giannis and Sloukas agree with you! An advise just before I put you in my ignore (the 13th!)... "check your mental stability with your shrink!"

Lmao do you just ignore everyone you disagree with? I can't imagine going through life that way, feeling threatened by critical thought.

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 09:35 AM
Wow, Germany 0-2 in group play thus far.

IndyRealist
09-03-2019, 10:27 AM
Did team USA just lose to Turkey?

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Did team USA just lose to Turkey?

OT starting now.

Heediot
09-03-2019, 10:47 AM
USA needs more work together. Trying to outskill/athlete the opposition. FIBA ball is more team oriented. Defense needs a tonne of work, lacks ball movement on offense.

They still have a few games to get it together before the elimination rounds.

They can't even foul properly for fiba lol. Turkey missing some clutch fts in ot.

Heediot
09-03-2019, 10:49 AM
lmao turkey 4 straight missed fts to ice the game.

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 10:53 AM
lmao turkey 4 straight missed fts to ice the game.

Yup USA wins by 1 in OT.

dhopisthename
09-03-2019, 10:53 AM
wow turkey choked this away. Tatum got hurt. Team USA sucks

Heediot
09-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Old men Barbosa and Varejao dealt with Greece. Barbosa with killing them attacking the rim. Unlike Giannis you have to respect his jumper.

Giannis and Calathes on the court together is iffy. Throw in Prentizis and the spacing is awful for Greece. Like I said earlier in the thread. Start Sloukas at the PG/SG and Calathes on the Bench.

Mantzaris-Slouka-Papanikolau-Giannis-Bourousis. Just surround Freak with guys who can stretch the floor. Let Calathes run the 2nd unit offense. Put him on defensive lineups with Freak.

Greece still has a chance like the usa. In the one and done rounds anything can happen.

Heediot
09-03-2019, 11:00 AM
Germany also booted.

The Americas hemisphere teams have shown a lot this tourney.

Shroeder is iffy in fiba lay as well.

tredigs
09-03-2019, 11:01 AM
USA did everything they could to get out of China, but Cedi Osman had other plans in store for them.

The crowd was the star of the show honestly. Only side that brought it.

Team USA is going to lose by double digits to Serbia if they make it to them.

dhopisthename
09-03-2019, 11:02 AM
at this point I would be shocked if USA got a medal

Heediot
09-03-2019, 11:05 AM
at this point I would be shocked if USA got a medal

USA looked suspect in RIO too early on. Just getting by Serbia and the Boomers in the group stage.

They still have time to get it together, only this time the talent level is a lot lower for them.

A game like this is a wake up call for them. But maybe the exhibition loss to the Boomers was one too.

They are vulnerable for sure. FIBA game is way different from the nba game and these guys have to adjust. They need to learn quick.

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Old men Barbosa and Varejao dealt with Greece. Barbosa with killing them attacking the rim. Unlike Giannis you have to respect his jumper.

Giannis and Calathes on the court together is iffy. Throw in Prentizis and the spacing is awful for Greece. Like I said earlier in the thread. Start Sloukas at the PG/SG and Calathes on the Bench.

Mantzaris-Slouka-Papanikolau-Giannis-Bourousis. Just surround Freak with guys who can stretch the floor. Let Calathes run the 2nd unit offense. Put him on defensive lineups with Freak.

Greece still has a chance like the usa. In the one and done rounds anything can happen.

Yeah, Greece isn't very good.

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 11:28 AM
If USA wants to keep going away from Pops plan on offense, they're doomed. A guy like Mitchell can't play big mintues in the elimination rounds if he's gonna be bricking that bad and also not drawing fouls.

The zone is going to kill them from here on if they can't knock down outside shots consistently, which was a fear of mine.

Didn't see the Tatum injury but the audio broadcasters didn't make it sound very good, hope he's alright.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2019, 12:09 PM
And thatís why Giannis canít be the face of the NBA... he better wake up.

Team USA will not win this tournament.

buckalis
09-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Coach Petrovic dealed over Skourtopoulos quite well today... He played Varejao 36mins, while Skourtopoulos played Giannis only 24... He was also slow to throw Sloukas in the game (he was keeping him out in order to "hide" him...) and the result is that Petrovic came back from -17 to +7 till he decided to throw Sloukas back in the game and end up the game on a lost free throw...

I hope that this loss won't cost to Greece... they are a far better team than Brasil.

tredigs
09-03-2019, 01:07 PM
And thatís why Giannis canít be the face of the NBA... he better wake up.

Team USA will not win this tournament.

He can be the face of the NBA (or close). I mean he's already won an MVP and was the cover of 2K19. That's a strong start.

He's not good in international competition though. Not with that team. He needs shooters around him or his lack there of is exposed and he sees clogged zone coverage in the paint. I'd like to see him work more on his post game.

beasted86
09-03-2019, 02:57 PM
This team is a disgrace. It's crazy they couldn't get any better scorers and PFs to join.

I realistically don't expect them to place in this tournament.

The team lacks toughness and defense. If I was a Celtics fan I'd be scared watching this tourney. Tatum and Brown are basic role players.

GREATNESS ONE
09-03-2019, 04:03 PM
He can be the face of the NBA (or close). I mean he's already won an MVP and was the cover of 2K19. That's a strong start.

He's not good in international competition though. Not with that team. He needs shooters around him or his lack there of is exposed and he sees clogged zone coverage in the paint. I'd like to see him work more on his post game.

Gotta show it on the world stage for me, I donít mind if he doesnít win it but to completely not show up for 2 games... he needs to step up and completely take over. Would love for him to work on his post game as well.

Heediot
09-03-2019, 04:23 PM
This team is a disgrace. It's crazy they couldn't get any better scorers and PFs to join.

I realistically don't expect them to place in this tournament.

The team lacks toughness and defense. If I was a Celtics fan I'd be scared watching this tourney. Tatum and Brown are basic role players.

NBA is soft as doo doo. Gotta blame the league for what they turned the nba game into. FIBA ball is more physical for the most part. There are nba playoff games where they let you play.

These guys aren't used to how the game is reffed and all the different looks teams are throwing at them defensively. With no illegal defense and more leniency with contact, teams have more tools at their disposal defensively.

Guys like Shroeder and Giannis aren't lighting up the tourney either. Ben Simmons would probably be exposed like those too and he could be argued to have a worse jumper then either.

Team needs to build chemistry and develop a system where everyone knows their role. There are still some games before the knockout stage. If the ball IQ is high on this team they should grasp things by then, if not.....

Still US has a chance, but the margin of error is far less because the talent gap between the us and others is far less. I'm not counting them out. I do over-rate pop for fiba, just got reminded that he was the coach for the 2002 team that flopped. Maybe I should give coach K some credit, sometimes handling personalities is just as big as the x's and o's.

buckalis
09-03-2019, 04:52 PM
NBA is soft as doo doo. Gotta blame the league for what they turned the nba game into. FIBA ball is more physical for the most part. There are nba playoff games where they let you play.

These guys aren't used to how the game is reffed and all the different looks teams are throwing at them defensively. With no illegal defense and more leniency with contact, teams have more tools at their disposal defensively.

Guys like Shroeder and Giannis aren't lighting up the tourney either. Ben Simmons would probably be exposed like those too and he could be argued to have a worse jumper then either.

Team needs to build chemistry and develop a system where everyone knows their role. There are still some games before the knockout stage. If the ball IQ is high on this team they should grasp things by then, if not.....

Still US has a chance, but the margin of error is far less because the talent gap between the us and others is far less. I'm not counting them out. I do over-rate pop for fiba, just got reminded that he was the coach for the 2002 team that flopped. Maybe I should give coach K some credit, sometimes handling personalities is just as big as the x's and o's.

Now hang on a minute... you are correct on anything, but all wrong on Giannis... Giannis was absolutely great today, He started the game at 4 and scoring the first 6 points of his team and then when coach Petrovic (a master of the game) timed out and have set Brasil different in order to double team on Giannis, coach Skourtopoulos was bright enough to move Giannis at 3 and throw Printezis at 4 in the game, having Giannis to do all the work and space the floor for the rest... The Greeks were +17 at that time before Petrovic took another time out... It was there after that Petrovic readjusted his team again and Skourtopoulos couldn't reply back...

Petrovic said in his pre game interview: "I have been preparing the team for 6 months before this game"... Brazil won this game only because of Petrovic's tactics superiority for 3 mins in the 2nd quarter and then at the 3rd quarter... (Sloukas missing the last shot from the free throw line only helped)... Skourtopoulos moving Giannis at 5 and load him with fouls was another mistake the coach did... Underestimating Brazil and not starting Sloukas (but keep hiding him from USA and Serbia instead) was another mistake he did... Still things would be different if Sloukas would have made that last free throw...

Heediot
09-03-2019, 05:03 PM
Now hang on a minute... you are correct on anything, but all wrong on Giannis... Giannis was absolutely great today, He started the game at 4 and scoring the first 6 points of his team and then when coach Petrovic (a master of the game) timed out and have set Brasil different in order to double team on Giannis, coach Skourtopoulos was bright enough to move Giannis at 3 and throw Printezis at 4 in the game, having Giannis to do all the work and space the floor for the rest... The Greeks were +17 at that time before Petrovic took another time out... It was there after that Petrovic readjusted his team again and Skourtopoulos couldn't reply back...

Petrovic said in his pre game interview: "I have been preparing the team for 6 months before this game"... Brazil won this game only because of Petrovic's tactics superiority for 3 mins in the 2nd quarter and then at the 3rd quarter... (Sloukas missing the last shot from the free throw line only helped)... Skourtopoulos moving Giannis at 5 and load him with fouls was another mistake the coach did... Underestimating Brazil and not starting Sloukas (but keep hiding him from USA and Serbia instead) was another mistake he did... Still things would be different if Sloukas would have made that last free throw...

Meh he has his moments, but one could tell he isn't the same dominant force and doesn't effect the game the way he does in Milwaukee in fiba. Teams aren't fearing him as much in the world cup because Serbia exposed Greece late in the exhibition game and gave them some what of a blue print. I'm not saying he's totally useless, but the team fit might not be the greatest. Maybe he'll shine in certain match ups and be less effective in others.
They need to find the right lineup for his skills and ride with it and maximize Giannis.

buckalis
09-03-2019, 05:14 PM
Meh he has his moments, but one could tell he isn't the same dominant force and doesn't effect the game the way he does in Milwaukee in fiba. Teams aren't fearing him as much in the world cup because Serbia exposed Greece late in the exhibition game and gave them some what of a blue print. I'm not saying he's totally useless, but the team fit might not be the greatest. Maybe he'll shine in certain match ups and be less effective in others.
They need to find the right lineup for his skills and ride with it and maximize Giannis.

You haven't watched the game, have you? Only highlights perhaps... Giannis has told many times in his interviews last season: "I'll do anything it takes for my team to win... It doesn't matter if I do the scoring or others out of my teammates do..."

If you was watching the game, you would agree that Giannis was absolutely great this evening and also that he can do what is best for his team to win, either if it is an NBA game, or a FiBA game, or a game of basketball played against the "Jupiter planet team"...

EDIT: In any case, I believe that this loss coming at this stage, may prove to be the best it could happen for "team Hellas"... They'll stop all this "planning for the important games later" nonsense and just play the best basketball they can... Coach Giannakis also took the plane and is flying to China in order to help the team too...

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Coach Petrovic dealed over Skourtopoulos quite well today... He played Varejao 36mins, while Skourtopoulos played Giannis only 24... He was also slow to throw Sloukas in the game (he was keeping him out in order to "hide" him...) and the result is that Petrovic came back from -17 to +7 till he decided to throw Sloukas back in the game and end up the game on a lost free throw...

I hope that this loss won't cost to Greece... they are a far better team than Brasil.

Giannis played 28 minutes... And fouled out...

buckalis
09-03-2019, 05:43 PM
Giannis played 28 minutes... And fouled out...

He was fouled out with some 10 secs remaining on the clock in order to send the Brazilians to the free throw line... it proved to be the best choice he could have possibly taken since his team only lost the game by missing the last shot from the free throw line next...

Heediot
09-03-2019, 05:52 PM
You haven't watched the game, have you? Only highlights perhaps... Giannis has told many times in his interviews last season: "I'll do anything it takes for my team to win... It doesn't matter if I do the scoring or others out of my teammates do..."

If you was watching the game, you would agree that Giannis was absolutely great this evening and also that he can do what is best for his team to win, either if it is an NBA game, or a FiBA game, or a game of basketball played against the "Jupiter planet team"...

EDIT: In any case, I believe that this loss coming at this stage, may prove to be the best it could happen for "team Hellas"... They'll stop all this "planning for the important games later" nonsense and just play the best basketball they can... Coach Giannakis also took the plane and is flying to China in order to help the team too...

No i didn't watch the whole game. I usually watch what I'm invested in, if you will. I said the same thing earlier in this thread, he's probably trying to fit in and be a team player. All I saw was Barbosa carrying Brazil in the 4th q, like Giannis is supposed to carry Greece from time to time as the supposed best player and nba mvp and world class player. Still waiting for Greek to do that, at least offensively, just take over and will the team to a W.

beasted86
09-03-2019, 05:56 PM

Pops system is lame and cripples the star's ability to take over games. He's been way too far biased towards ball movement and guys who can shoot in composing the team.

It clearly played a factor with guys like Drummond, Fox, etc withdrawing. You need some nasty old school paint area scorers and defenders. The fact Turner and Lopez made the cut along with no real PF tells me all I need to know about his mindset.

USA has yet to face real shot-blocking defenders and inside presence and they're already struggling against it.

Heediot
09-03-2019, 06:05 PM
Pops system is lame and cripples the star's ability to take over games. He's been way too far biased towards ball movement and guys who can shoot in composing the team.

It clearly played a factor with guys like Drummond, Fox, etc withdrawing. You need some nasty old school paint area scorers and defenders. The fact Turner and Lopez made the cut along with no real PF tells me all I need to know about his mindset.

USA has yet to face real shot-blocking defenders and inside presence and they're already struggling against it.

Yeah they are missing some elements for their bigs. Need more size at the 4. Team overall lacks grit/toughness. You do need a post guy, or a C that can roll to the rim to open up the game in FIBA.

NBA all the way
09-03-2019, 06:59 PM

These dudes are building a house with all these bricks too. I wouldn't consider a lot of these dudes elite shooters. I know Harris tore it up last season.

buckalis
09-03-2019, 07:07 PM
These dudes are building a house with all these bricks too. I wouldn't consider a lot of these dudes elite shooters. I know Harris tore it up last season.

Both Harris & Middleton are clutch shooters...

VCaintdead17
09-03-2019, 10:41 PM
"NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo is averaging 11.5 ppg thus far in the tournament, tied for 76th, and his team is 1-1. (fiba.basketball)

Yikes

zn23
09-03-2019, 10:57 PM
"NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo is averaging 11.5 ppg thus far in the tournament, tied for 76th, and his team is 1-1. (fiba.basketball)

Yikes

The game is different when you don't get superstar calls, the other team is able to camp in the paint, and you're unable to expand your game from 3.

I knew going in that Giannis would struggle.

NBA all the way
09-04-2019, 07:42 AM
Tatum out for at least the next 2 games.

Heediot
09-04-2019, 10:44 AM
LMAO @ China. The draw was rigged for them to have the softest group and they still couldn't advance @ home. They even arguably had the softest crossover 2nd round had they made it lol.

LMAO @ Canada. All the other teams from FIBA Americas made it, but they are left out. Props to teams like Venezuela, PR & DR. They made it through and arguably none were expected to.

Spain needs to stop sleep walking. Yeah they are 3-0 but, Iran had the lead halfway through the 4th quarter for crying out loud. They had to turn it on late vs. PR too. Tunisia wiped them in the 1st Q, but they ended up obliterating them.

buckalis
09-04-2019, 11:10 AM
LMAO @ China. The draw was rigged for them to have the softest group and they still couldn't advance @ home. They even arguably had the softest crossover 2nd round had they made it lol.

LMAO @ Canada. All the other teams from FIBA Americas made it, but they are left out. Props to teams like Venezuela, PR & DR. They made it through and arguably none were expected to.

Spain needs to stop sleep walking. Yeah they are 3-0 but, Iran had the lead halfway through the 4th quarter for crying out loud. They had to turn it on late vs. PR too. Tunisia wiped them in the 1st Q, but they ended up obliterating them.

Quite correct... they've changed the promoting system so that the home team gets help and promotes and this leads good teams that are not doubted to belong in the "better 16" (Canada, Russia) out...

By the way... remember the "basketball interference" I discussed earlier as one of the rules that should be "like in the NBA"? Sloukas didn't miss that last shot against Brasil... he shot it "professionally" so that it surely drops... but Cabolco punched the ball off the rim in what would have been "basketball interference" in the NBA! ...the ball was sure to drop, look at it on the reply...

zn23
09-04-2019, 08:29 PM

They had a tough group...

Australia beat team USA and Lithuania has always been very good.

Canada has a thin roster in general and when Murray, Gilgeous-Alexander and Kelly Olynyk don't play, it makes it even harder to win.

Corey Joseph is the only player that plays in the NBA and he's a backup at best.

I don't have high expectations for them.

NBA all the way
09-05-2019, 10:23 AM
USA makes easy work of Japan. But another Celtic, in Marcus Smart is set to miss time.

The next group stage is set. USA will be in a group with Brazil, Czech Republic and Greece.

Heediot
09-05-2019, 11:03 AM
A lot of people were over-rating Turkey and their coach after they almost beat the USA. They weren't that impressive in Exhibition play. Going back to Euro '17 in which they were the home team, they finished 4th in their group and got bounced in the QFs. The offense was struggling in '17, made a little bit of stride this year by adding Wilbeken, but still a weak spot. Just goes to show how bad USA defense was up to then. Even the Czechs, who beat the Turks, ran their offense decently vs. the USA.

Props to NZ, even if they didn't make the 2nd round, those guys are a poor mans Aussie team. I like the way they play with pace and how they can get buckets. Giannis would be a nice fit on that team tbh,

USA got some needed practice getting their defense right today. The blow out helps with point differential in case they need it.

Heediot
09-05-2019, 11:12 AM
They had a tough group...

Australia beat team USA and Lithuania has always been very good.

Canada has a thin roster in general and when Murray, Gilgeous-Alexander and Kelly Olynyk don't play, it makes it even harder to win.

Corey Joseph is the only player that plays in the NBA and he's a backup at best.

I don't have high expectations for them.

I didn't expect much from Canada either.

Still, hopefully this sends them a message and wake up call that ll the other qualifiers from their regions had more success then them in this tourney.

We don't need 12 nba players, just need a handfull of impact guys. I think we have good role players and backups from Europe who can fill out the Roster.

I'd be happy with:

Joseph-Murray-Barrett-Olynyk-Birch Pangos-Ejim-Wiltjer-Powell-Scrubb Bros-Heslip-O. Brissett

I think that team can still challenge for a Medal if Nick Nurse is coaching.