PDA

View Full Version : Title or "Title Contender"

Rivera
07-22-2019, 04:49 PM
Just thinking, as a fan, what is better?

For this example, I am going to use exaggerate a bit for you to decide which scenario as a fan you rather have. Again, these are not my projections, but just a thought.

For this example lets use the 76ers vs the Raptors.

The Raptors mortgaged there future for 1 championship and got it. Lets say for the sake of discussion, the Raptors fall off the face of the earth and they are a constant lottery team winning 25-30 games a year and dont make the playoffs for the next 10 seasons. But they got their chip.

vs

The 76ers. Lets say for the next 10 years, they are legit title contenders, going to multiple ECFs and a finals appearance or 2 but never win it all. They are always a pre-season favorite to make it out of the East, get soooo far but never actually win it.

Who would you rather be? The team that won a title but now is irrelevant for the next 10 years?

Or the team that built up an amazing core, is relevant in the NBA, real title contenders every single year but never could make it over that hump and become champion?

Who would you rather be ?

NBA all the way
07-22-2019, 05:25 PM
Neither, lol

But you don't have to use a hypothetical, just look at the Cavs once LeBron returned.

Anyway, you always take the title. Being good but never capitalizing on it sucks.

Dade County
07-22-2019, 06:45 PM

For this example, I am going to use exaggerate a bit for you to decide which scenario as a fan you rather have. Again, these are not my projections, but just a thought.

The Raptors mortgaged there future for 1 championship and got it. Lets say for the sake of discussion, the Raptors fall off the face of the earth and they are a constant lottery team winning 25-30 games a year and dont make the playoffs for the next 10 seasons. But they got their chip.

vs

The 76ers. Lets say for the next 10 years, they are legit title contenders, going to multiple ECFs and a finals appearance or 2 but never win it all. They are always a pre-season favorite to make it out of the East, get soooo far but never actually win it.

Who would you rather be? The team that won a title but now is irrelevant for the next 10 years?

Or the team that built up an amazing core, is relevant in the NBA, real title contenders every single year but never could make it over that hump and become champion?

If the Organization has already won a title in the past 25yrs, then I can see a fan base taking the 76ers 10yrs of being a true contender option.

But if an organization has NEVR won a title, then they would have to pick the Raptors option.

beasted86
07-22-2019, 07:05 PM
I would vote for the title in 99% of the scenarios.

For example, I know its hard to compare to today's miseries, but there were tons of 90s Knicks who were living in constant turmoil watching a team that just couldn't get over the hump.

As long as the team is not pulling a "Billy King" to try and win a title, I feel most fans would rather their team go all in if there's a legitimate chance at winning rather than sustained "above average".

ewing
07-22-2019, 08:32 PM

vs

The Sixers without question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koldjerky
07-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Isnít the point of sports to win a title? Why would you ever chose the option that doesnít result in a title?

Vee-Rex
07-22-2019, 08:57 PM
Easy. Raptors.

One championship means so much.

Allphakenny1
07-23-2019, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I have to agree with most here and take the one championship while sucking for a decade over many contending years and no championships. As a Sharks fan in hockey, we have been close for more than a decade and never won a championship. Every year has had excitement, but every year has ended in frustration and the feeling of failure. Plus the **** talk from the other California teams fans, like the Kings and Ducks, is endless as the only team in the state to never win. Also, knowing that your teams best players will go down on those "greats to never win a championship" lists hurts quite a bit.

Dade County
07-23-2019, 02:33 AM
Easy. Raptors.

One championship means so much.

Thats only if you are old enough to enjoy it. Lets say you are a child (2 or 3yrs old) and you were born into a particular fan base. Yeah as you grow up more and more, you older family members would tell you about the series...etc

But you didn't get to really experience it. & there go your all in, 1 championship.

JAZZNC
07-23-2019, 04:23 AM
As a Jazz fan I'd take one title over being contenders for a decade. Although I do think it makes the season a lot more fun when there's hope. Like this season for the Jazz there is legitimate hope for a Finals appearance. I don't think the chances of that are very high but there's still a legit chance. But in the end you have to take the title. To see my team lift the trophy would be amazing. I can't imagine how awesome it was for Cleveland fans or Raptors fans when it finally happened for them.

ewing
07-23-2019, 05:34 AM
Isnít the point of sports to win a title? Why would you ever chose the option that doesnít result in a title?

The point is compete at your highest level. I know this sounds crazy but the point is pushing and being pushed so you can reach your best as a collective.

ewing
07-23-2019, 05:35 AM
This thread is a good example of why the quality of the game is declining

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-23-2019, 02:24 PM
If I have to choose, I'll take the chip.

The whole purpose of being a contender every year is to maximize your odds at winning a chip. That's the ultimate goal.

ewing
07-23-2019, 04:26 PM
So sad

Vee-Rex
07-23-2019, 05:12 PM
Thats only if you are old enough to enjoy it. Lets say you are a child (2 or 3yrs old) and you were born into a particular fan base. Yeah as you grow up more and more, you older family members would tell you about the series...etc

But you didn't get to really experience it. & there go your all in, 1 championship.

Very true. It's worthless to use as just something to gloat/brag about. The experience is what it's all about.

Vee-Rex
07-23-2019, 05:15 PM
So sad

I don't know how old you are and if you experienced the Knicks in the '70s... but just imagine the confetti raining down in MSG. All the years of enduring the losing and trash talk from other fans. RJ Barrett hoisting the O'Brien trophy in the air...

Come on, tell me you didn't get at least a half-chub just from that and I'm calling you a liar.

ewing
07-23-2019, 07:13 PM
I don't know how old you are and if you experienced the Knicks in the '70s... but just imagine the confetti raining down in MSG. All the years of enduring the losing and trash talk from other fans. RJ Barrett hoisting the O'Brien trophy in the air...

Come on, tell me you didn't get at least a half-chub just from that and I'm calling you a liar.

Yeah it would be awesome. I wish my Ewing Knicks won one. Iíll never forget watching Charles Smith but they were my Knicks and they had an identity. As a fan I wouldnít trade that for one year with a bunch of hired guns and as player itís not what made me fall in love with game at all. I really do think itís kind of sad that this is a common way to think

TrueFan420
07-23-2019, 09:00 PM
If you havenít lived for a title or itís been an absurd amount of time itís a title. If youíve gotten a few or won recently itís contention.

koldjerky
07-23-2019, 09:41 PM
The point is compete at your highest level. I know this sounds crazy but the point is pushing and being pushed so you can reach your best as a collective.

Compete at the highest level to... win. As a fan, I want to see a championship. Sure I want to see collective skill and overall competitiveness, but if youíre telling me that all the skill, the competitiveness, the post season all ends in no title? Yeah Iím giving that up for one fluke title and years of crap.

ewing
07-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Compete at the highest level to... win. As a fan, I want to see a championship. Sure I want to see collective skill and overall competitiveness, but if youíre telling me that all the skill, the competitiveness, the post season all ends in no title? Yeah Iím giving that up for one fluke title and years of crap.

Your highest level collectively [emoji3]

lakerfan85
07-23-2019, 09:55 PM
This is a dumb question.. You take the title.

AntiG
07-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Neither, lol

But you don't have to use a hypothetical, just look at the Cavs once LeBron returned.

Anyway, you always take the title. Being good but never capitalizing on it sucks.

Exactly. Just look at the Celtics and 76ers right now - both teams have built up their team the right way and will be contenders for many years, but can't see either winning a championship. I'd rather see my team go all-in. Ainge refused to include Brown or Tatum in a Leonard deal. Hence why the Raptors were holding up the trophy in June while the Celtics were sitting on the couch.

valade16
07-24-2019, 10:15 AM
As a Jazz fan I'd take one title over being contenders for a decade. Although I do think it makes the season a lot more fun when there's hope. Like this season for the Jazz there is legitimate hope for a Finals appearance. I don't think the chances of that are very high but there's still a legit chance. But in the end you have to take the title. To see my team lift the trophy would be amazing. I can't imagine how awesome it was for Cleveland fans or Raptors fans when it finally happened for them.

As a fellow fan of a small market team that was competitive for near 2 decades, I cannot put into words how much a title would mean for Portland.