PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo 2020 Olympics

Tg11
07-22-2019, 04:20 PM
For USA they have to be the overwhelming favorites for that gold medal but then there are other countries who could challenge the USA such as:

Canada, France, Australia, Croatia

tredigs
07-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Let's send the never-an-All-Star Olympic team for USA.

PG: Mike Conley / Eric Bledsoe
SG: Donovan Mitchell / Danny Green
SF: Robert Covington / Tobias Harris
PF: Derrick Favors / Aaron Gordon
C: Brook Lopez / Clint Capela

I mean, they would kill everyone.

Tg11
07-22-2019, 05:22 PM
USA Starting 5 for Tokyo should be:

PG- Steph Curry

SG- James Harden
SF- Kawhi Leonard
PF- Draymond Green
C- Anthony Davis

Heediot
07-22-2019, 05:33 PM

They should be favorites but killing I don't know. US needed time to gel in the last Olympics and the point margin of victory was underwhelming considering the talent. I think coach k is over-rated in terms of x's and o's. With Pop he might get them working and cohesive faster. Chemistry, coaching and adapting to the international game also factor in.

Jokic nearly single handedly took them down in the group stages. US locked down Serbia in the finals though.

Basically team work and chemistry matter a tonne. You could see hoiw well the Aussies and Serbia gelled last Olympics. Australia wasn't the most talented team either.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 05:44 PM
For USA they have to be the overwhelming favorites for that gold medal but then there are other countries who could challenge the USA such as:

Canada, France, Australia, Croatia

You know the Greeks will have Giannis... right?

The Greeks are 4th in odds for the 2019 FIBA world championship that starts in 5 weeks...

Tg11
07-22-2019, 06:06 PM
Canada their starting 5 that I can definitely see

PG- Shai Gilgeous Alexander
SG- Jamal Murray
SF- RJ Barrett
PF- Dwight Powell
C- Kelly Olynyk

Heediot
07-22-2019, 06:12 PM
Clown *** Wiggins not suiting up.

Canada still has the talent to Medal. If we don't at least qualify for Tokyo it's a total failure. No medal is a semi-fail IMO.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Canada still has the talent to Medal. If we don't at least qualify for Tokyo it's a total failure. No medal is a semi-fail IMO.

Canada can't get a metal... they'll have to beat SEVEN out of USA, Greece, Spain, Serbia, Australia, France, Russia, Lithuania and Croatia to get the Bronze... No way!

Heediot
07-22-2019, 06:49 PM
Canada can't get a metal... they'll have to beat SEVEN out of USA, Greece, Spain, Serbia, Australia, France, Russia, Lithuania and Croatia to get the Bronze... No way!

They have the talent and coaching. It's up to the chemistry and the ability to adapt to the international game. Just getting out of the group will be tough with Australia and Lithuania, but I like our chances with Nurse at the helm. I think the Boomers and Beavers make it out.

US should get gold. Serbia-Spain-France-Canada-Australia and Greece should fight for the final two medals. I'm not saying they will medal, but they have the construction to do so and would be dissapointed if they didn't (given the talent and coaching).

Serbia is the best non US team IMO just based on talent and chemistry.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 07:12 PM
They have the talent and coaching. It's up to the chemistry and the ability to adapt to the international game. Just getting out of the group will be tough with Australia and Lithuania, but I like our chances with Nurse at the helm. I think the Boomers and Beavers make it out.

US should get gold. Serbia-Spain-France-Canada-Australia and Greece should fight for the final two medals. I'm not saying they will medal, but they have the construction to do so and would be dissapointed if they didn't (given the talent and coaching).

Serbia is the best non US team IMO just based on talent and chemistry.

If you ask me, Serbia's (or Yugoslavia's) success, is all because of their coaching... Ivkovic and Obradovic (the two by far best coaches the game has ever seen) are the mentors of Popovic... remember?

Heediot
07-22-2019, 07:17 PM
If you ask me, Serbia's (or Yugoslavia's) success, is all because of their coaching... Ivkovic and Obradovic (the two by far best coaches the game has ever seen) are the mentors of Popovic... remember?

Yeah pop takes a lot of interest and strategy from the euro game and coaches.

Tg11
07-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Spain also have to be considered a darkhorse to medal in Tokyo as well

buckalis
07-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Yeah pop takes a lot of interest and strategy from the euro game and coaches.

Actually he was mentored by Ivkovic and Obradovic when he was an officer of the USA foreign office addressed in Eastern Europe... He had no basketball coaching before, but because his parents were of Yugoslavian origin, he visited his relatives in what was still a united country in Yugoslavia...

Because he was fond of basketball, he watched some games there and met Ivkovic who in return introduced him to (younger in age) Obradovic... He became friends with them and then retired his job for the foreign office and returned to the USA, to become the "reference standard" for coaching basketball in the NBA...

EDIT: LOL... One is legitimate to claim that the Yugoslavians have taught Americans basketball tactics... But it's true!

Tg11
07-22-2019, 07:45 PM
Then there are other tier countries to consider as well such as Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or countries like Nigeria, Philippines, Argentina, Brazil or even Cameroon with the likes of Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute, etc.

buckalis
07-22-2019, 08:22 PM
Then there are other tier countries to consider as well such as Slovenia with Doncic, Dragic, etc. or countries like Nigeria, Philippines, Argentina, Brazil or even Cameroon with the likes of Embiid, Siakam, Mbah a Moute, etc.

I believe that Greece will win it... Not because of players like Giannis or Sloukas, but because coach Skourtopoulos is well mentored from the world's top (ex-Yugoslavian) coaches and then has players (on Giannis and Sloukas and more) that can fully understand and execute on the floor what the directions are... It's not like in the NBA... It's REAL BASKETBALL there...

EDIT: Player's talent is important, but only because it is the "last touch" over your opponent...

Chronz
07-22-2019, 08:52 PM

thats a trash move, hearing guys like Bogdon get amped to inspire the next generation of hoopers in his country is awe inspiring. trash *** Wiggins

SenileStern
07-23-2019, 04:23 AM

Capela still plays for Switzerland, he just returned to the team for the first time in 5 years.

Tg11
07-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Senegal is another country on the rise in international basketball as well as Great Britain

DanG
07-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Send a team full of youngsters:

Trae Young / De'Aaron Fox
Devin Booker / Donovan Mitchell
Jayson Tatum / Kyle Kuzma / Jaylen Brown
Zion Williamson / John Collins / Marvin Bagley
Jarred Allen / Myles Turner

Would be fun to watch and see if they pull it off. I mean, on paper you have everything you need, bench unit is just as good as the starters, it's just about the lack of experience.

Heediot
07-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Senegal is another country on the rise in international basketball as well as Great Britain

Africa is on the rise. Mali placed second in the U19 Worlds behind US. Senegal showed they could compete as well.

buckalis
07-23-2019, 10:20 AM
Africa is on the rise. Mali placed second in the U19 Worlds behind US. Senegal showed they could compete as well.

Well... surely the potential of African players is huge... They are athletic, have size and length, they are smart and are hungry too... but unless their coaching stuff adopts floor strategy, ability to read the game as it develops an "in the game correct reaction", MO is that they don't stand a chance against the "traditional powers" in world basketball... It may take another decade for their scouters and coaches to fully develop the tactics skills that are required as to achieve good tactics and strategy up to the level of being able to contend with the best of the traditional powers that dominate world basketball for years out there...

I'll give you an example... UK undeniably has as much access as the French have in physically gifted players world wide... They even were able to put together a decent National team and achieved to be promoted for the final tournament some 6 years ago... Then they disappeared again...

Why? one may wonder... Well... IMO, they did the ultimate mistake... Instead of hiring a coach from an ex-Yugoslavian country that could put them in the right track, they instead hired one (Prunty) out of the US... They obviously thought to go "American style"... Same is happening in Africa as we speak...