PDA

View Full Version : NBA's ROY for 19/20 season...

buckalis
07-20-2019, 05:37 PM
Zion (as expected) is leading the odds and then by far...

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nba/rookie-of-the-year-odds/

but will he have an easy title against Sekou Doumbouya of the Pistons?

IMO Zion will win it, but he will get strong competition by Sekou till the last minute...

Tg11
07-22-2019, 09:08 AM
How do you not rate RJ Barrett or Ja Morant for Rookie of the Year?

ewing
07-22-2019, 09:30 AM
How do you not rate RJ Barrett or Ja Morant for Rookie of the Year?

I think Barrett can be a very good player but I don't think he will be very good out of the gate. I think Morant has a better chance at having an immediate impact. I don't think Zion will be a big scorer out of the gate, I think he will get in foul trouble a lot, but I also think his defense, rim diving, and ability to push the ball will significantly impact games. Haters will point to his scoring totals

crewfan13
07-22-2019, 09:44 AM
The hype machine will help zion, but the ROY award is almost always based mostly on the pure counting stats like pts, rebounds and assists. Morant would seem to be in the best position for that. Hell probably be relatively inefficient. But that usually doesn't matter a ton for this award. Zion has too much else around him and wasn't likely to have a huge scoring average right away anyways.

I'm not as sold on Barrett as others, but he should have the opportunity. Again, zion has the hype machine behind him, but if I had to handicap it, I would put it at morant, Barrett then zion. The first two likely have the most usage out of the gate and will dictate the offense. Zion is the best all around guy. The next tier for me might actually start with garland as a dark horse, as there's a decent chance he has some high usage daya if he produces.

warfelg
07-22-2019, 10:02 AM
So a guy sitting 3rd/4th on the depth chart for a team that wants to make the playoffs is more likely to push for ROY than the slew of highly drafted players on bad teams who are guaranteed to start?

TheDish87
07-22-2019, 11:01 AM
im putting money on Colby White.

Rivera
07-22-2019, 12:55 PM
Ben Simmons!!!!!!!

nah but forreal, i hate to be predictable but there are 4 contenders in my eyes for this award

Zion/Ja/RJ and

MPJR

Depending on MPJR's health, theres a chance he could steal this award. Hes going to be in more meaningful games then the others

crewfan13
07-22-2019, 01:35 PM
Ben Simmons!!!!!!!

nah but forreal, i hate to be predictable but there are 4 contenders in my eyes for this award

Zion/Ja/RJ and

MPJR

Depending on MPJR's health, theres a chance he could steal this award. Hes going to be in more meaningful games then the others

For this award. I actually think that hurts him. This award rarely goes to a contributor on a good team. This award is almost always about pure stats. Brogdon got a little boost for playing meaningful minutes when he won, but that was pretty much because that rookie class was truly awful that year statistically. It's hard to see a scenario where MPJR has stats even close to some of these other guys.

Rivera
07-22-2019, 01:40 PM
For this award. I actually think that hurts him. This award rarely goes to a contributor on a good team. This award is almost always about pure stats. Brogdon got a little boost for playing meaningful minutes when he won, but that was pretty much because that rookie class was truly awful that year statistically. It's hard to see a scenario where MPJR has stats even close to some of these other guys.

yea I could see that, you arent wrong by any stretch. These guys could get at the lower end of 20ppg for their respective teams considering what is around them.

I guess it just depends on what those final stats are, how MPJR rounds into form by the end of the season, especially if he ends the season strong in a bunch of spotlight games, I could see MPJR win the narrative argument.

but yea, you arent wrong at all with your assessment. I was trying to think at the other draftees other than the top 3 picks along with their current situation but I think they will be role players or I dont know enough about them to make a proper assessment at their chances for ROY

Tg11
07-22-2019, 02:56 PM
If Zion lives up to the hype then immediately then he will be ROY but if he doesn't then it will be either Morant or Barrett

Wes Mantooth
07-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Ben Simmons!!!!!!!

Zion/Ja/RJ and

MPJR

Ben Simmons! :laugh:

crewfan13
07-24-2019, 10:38 AM
yea I could see that, you arent wrong by any stretch. These guys could get at the lower end of 20ppg for their respective teams considering what is around them.

I guess it just depends on what those final stats are, how MPJR rounds into form by the end of the season, especially if he ends the season strong in a bunch of spotlight games, I could see MPJR win the narrative argument.

but yea, you arent wrong at all with your assessment. I was trying to think at the other draftees other than the top 3 picks along with their current situation but I think they will be role players or I dont know enough about them to make a proper assessment at their chances for ROY

Outside the top 3 I think garland has a chance. Not sure how he and sexton will fit, but it's a team low on talent, so if garland plays well, hell have some usage.

I would say ty Jerome has a dark horse chance like brogdon a few years back. He's a mature player and he'll have some opportunity. But for him to win, lots of other guys will have to underwhelm, and with a name like zion in the class, I dont think everyone will underwhelm enough to warrant consideration.

Lots of the other lotto guys are either going to situatuons with other young, ball dominant guys (like culver or reddish) or don't really have the game to put up huge numbers like hunter.

WaDe03
07-24-2019, 10:41 AM
Tyler Herro Zion or Ja in that order.

Tg11
07-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Zion, Ja or RJ it is between those 3

buckalis
08-21-2019, 06:53 PM
Why the mods in this forum allow trolls to create 2nd threads on threads that already exist, beats me...

mrblisterdundee
08-21-2019, 10:46 PM
Zion's best imitation is Draymond. Ingram and Holiday will probably both score more than him.

Tg11
08-22-2019, 08:12 AM
People are saying Zion will be a bust but now personally myself I am starting to have my doubts about Zion too. Reason being his weight which will only hold him back in my opinion but also because of the fact that college ball is a lot more different than the pros and I can't see his game transitioning into the NBA. As for who is the most NBA ready or who could win Rookie of the Year it could be Ja Morant or even Michael Porter, Jr.

More-Than-Most
08-22-2019, 08:59 AM
zion gonna be so bad it will be hilarious at these dudes thinking he is this good. Cant wait.

Tg11
08-22-2019, 09:25 AM
Zion the only thing he needs to do is lose like 30 to 40 pounds...he's 280 but if he goes down to 250 or 240 at 6'6 then with the weight loss I think he could still be just as explosive

zookman65
08-22-2019, 11:00 PM
I think Barrett can be a very good player but I don't think he will be very good out of the gate. I think Morant has a better chance at having an immediate impact. I don't think Zion will be a big scorer out of the gate, I think he will get in foul trouble a lot, but I also think his defense, rim diving, and ability to push the ball will significantly impact games. Haters will point to his scoring totals

If this proves out why would they be haters? Scoring is important in a league where offense wins. I think Zion has a better chance of topping 300 lbs sometime during the season than averaging a Luka type 21 plus points per game

Tg11
08-23-2019, 05:11 AM
If Zion doesn't win it then Morant or Barrett will

VCaintdead17
08-23-2019, 01:40 PM
Darius or Garland or Ja Morant have the most opportunity to show out. I'd go with either of them unless Zion meets all expectations.

buckalis
08-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Trolls... they have an "opinion", but never have to back it up... it can change all the time as well as on how the weather changes along with how "the wind blows" if it comes down to this troll too... https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/member.php?268807-Tg11

ewing
08-24-2019, 03:21 PM
If this proves out why would they be haters? Scoring is important in a league where offense wins. I think Zion has a better chance of topping 300 lbs sometime during the season than averaging a Luka type 21 plus points per game

Bc he will contribute to winning more then any other rookie in the league. If he averages 14, 8, and 4 while defending 4 to 5 spots and being a secondary ball handler who creates pace and collapses defenses he will be a major contributor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckalis
08-24-2019, 03:25 PM
Despite who wins ROY, my opinion is that the man with most potential out of this draft was Sekou Doumbouya and he fell on the the right team and the right coach to develop him too... Watch the Pistons coming up in the following seasons!

tredigs
08-25-2019, 04:49 PM
zion gonna be so bad it will be hilarious at these dudes thinking he is this good. Cant wait.

So bad? Lmao. What are your projected numbers for him?

ROY imo will be a 3 horse race between Zion, Morant and potentially Rui Hachimura. Just hope the Wizards don't find a way to screw up a prospect with this much potential.

tp13baby
08-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Ben Simmons!!!!!!!

Zion/Ja/RJ and

MPJR

If MPJR wins it Denver either lost Murray or Jokic, or Denver is the number 1 team in the entire league. Denver doesnít have a style for guys to put up crazy points. Everything is through Jokic and itís well distributed. I canít evem imagine MPJR getting enough usage to compete in this.

buckalis
08-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Latest odds are like this:

1. Zion Williamson......-135
2. Ja Morant..............+300
3. RJ Barret...............+550
4. Darius Garland.......+1600
5. Michael Porter Jr. ...+1800
6. Coby White............+1800
7. DeAndre Hunter.....+2500
8. Jarrett Culver........+2500
9. Rui Hachimura.......+2500
10. Cameron Reddish +5000

buckalis
08-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Zion was very fortunate to fell into a team with a proven coach as to direct and accelerate his development... Anything less than winning ROY and be "NBA ready" by Feb, will be considered as failure for him...