PDA

View Full Version : Who would have won the rubber match? Cavs VS Dubs

Chronz
07-19-2019, 08:01 PM
Possibly unpopular take but the best Cavs team ever was not the championship squad but the squad that was going for the repeat. We had a great rivalry brewing between the Dubs and Cavs before KD hopped on the trolley, both teams winning a chip with a ton of injuries/suspensions influencing the outcome just enough to question who was truly king.

So pretending KD suffers a torn achilles day 1 of his Warriors career, straight Hayward style OR assuming he had the courage to do what he did this off season and create his own power, who wins R3?

Allphakenny1
07-20-2019, 12:34 AM
2015 is close so I would not argue either way, but if I had to pick based on health, I would still pick the Warriors to win. I think people overrate the impact of Love as he never found his way on that team, and their defense was immensely helped by Love and Kyrie going out. It is so 50/50 though, that I would not argue it.

2016 seems more cut and dry as the Green suspension could have easily cost them a game. The Curry injury was huge as he had no lateral movement which took away a huge part of his game. Also, Bogut and Iggy injuries aided in a Cavs victory that would have been most likely a Warriors championship.

So as 2017 comes around and I have the Warriors as the better team over the last few years coming in, I would give them the edge here. Also, it is not fair to have Durant on the team injured, but that he never signed with the team. They would most likely have Harrison Barnes still on the team, as well as a few complimentary pieces as Bogut and Barbosa. The Warriors took the Cavs 4-1 that year. It would be crazy for me to take Durant off the team and add Barnes, Bogut and Barbosa and say the Cavs would win three more games.

The Warriors were the better team over those few years and would have most likely won the rubber match if both teams were healthy.

nastynice
07-20-2019, 12:40 AM
I'd say warriors as well, cavs were able to beat us out but I feel like there were a number of events that happened that just so unlikely to happen again for them to pull off that close win.

COOLbeans
07-20-2019, 04:23 AM
Creating his own power isnít teaming up with a playoff team plus Kyrie (top 10 PG modern era). But I digress. Dubs win

Vee-Rex
07-20-2019, 11:44 AM
I'll pick Cavs.

And I 100% agree that the 2016-17 Cavs were the best Cavs team ever - not too many people seem to hold that opinion just because they didn't win the title.

Without KD that Warriors offense (and defense) is a lot less dangerous. They averaged 122ppg in the 2017 finals, and the Cavs averaged 115ppg in the 2017 finals. I think it goes 6 or 7 games without KD and I could see the Cavs winning it.

But I won't die on that hill because I could also see the Warriors winning, and it's really not a new argument worth having.