PDA

View Full Version : Which teams will be the surprises this season for East & West?

buckalis
07-18-2019, 01:31 PM
My opinion:

East: Pistons (2 to 5 final seeding)

West: Jazz (3 to 6 final seeding)

DanG
07-18-2019, 03:40 PM
East: Pacers

West: Mavericks

Utah Jazz getting a 4-6 seed is not a surprise.

buckalis
07-18-2019, 04:19 PM

Pacers are no surprise... They may have a lower seed than the usual they take though (which is 4-5) this time though, depending on how long Olandipo will be missing... No way they end up higher than the Pistons in any case or pass on them if they fell with each other in the playoffs.

Utah will be contending for the title this season (which is a surprise)...

WaDe03
07-18-2019, 04:46 PM
Miami since many think they wonít make the playoffs.
Mavs in the west.

Lakers1980
07-18-2019, 05:13 PM
West - Clippers miss the playoffs

East - Detroit to 4

mightybosstone
07-18-2019, 05:17 PM

This. And I agree that Utah shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. They've been a damn good basketball team the last two years and they're only going to be better.

I think Dallas is one of several young teams that could surprise in the West and sneak into the playoffs. I wouldn't rule out Sacramento either or maybe even New Orleans if Zion lives up to this potential early on.

IndyRealist
07-18-2019, 05:27 PM
I apparently missed what Detroit did this summer. Why do people have them with HCA?

buckalis
07-18-2019, 06:07 PM
I apparently missed what Detroit did this summer. Why do people have them with HCA?

Pistons did many important additions this season and filled all the "holes" their game had... But above all, they've drafted Sekou Doumbouya!

Blink
07-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Yah as a Pistons fan im wondering where all this love is coming from lol

COOLbeans
07-18-2019, 07:39 PM
Warriors are going to surprise a lot of people by being a contender. I havenít looked forward to a season in years

WaDe03
07-18-2019, 07:48 PM
Warriors are going to surprise a lot of people by being a contender. I havenít looked forward to a season in years

Nobody has lol

DanG
07-19-2019, 04:20 AM
Pacers are no surprise... They may have a lower seed than the usual they take though (which is 4-5) this time though, depending on how long Olandipo will be missing... No way they end up higher than the Pistons in any case or pass on them if they fell with each other in the playoffs.

Utah will be contending for the title this season (which is a surprise)...

Utah is a damn good team, but no way are they contending this year. With a bit of luck in playoff seedings (like Portland, Denver last year) they might advance to the WCF the most, but not any further.

We know in the playoffs it makes a huge difference to have the best player on the floor. When Utah goes up against:

Clippers
Lakers
Rockets
Nuggets
Portland
Warriors

They won't have the best player on the floor, in most cases, they won't even have the 2nd best player.

Mitchell is still unproven in the playoffs, Conley is a B+ player, and Gobert is limited offensively to be the go to guy.

They will be a good regular season team, like the Nuggets last year, or the 60 win Hawks team, but still far from contending.

mightybosstone
07-19-2019, 10:48 AM
I'm going to throw out one more surprise team in the West: OKC.

I was looking over their roster this morning to make a comment in the CP3 thread, and it's really not half-bad. They're looking at a depth chart of:

PG CP3 / Schroder
SG SGA / Ferguson
SF Roberson
PF Gallo / Patterson
C Adams / Noel

And that's obviously pretty rough. No clue how the back court rotation will shake out or whether Gallo is capable of playing big minutes at the 4, but there's definitely talent on that team. With a pissed off Chris Paul, SGA developing his game and some solid scorers and defenders around them, why can't that team win 45-48 games? Everybody's acting like OKC is necessarily tanking, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a 5 or 6 seed in the West, especially if some teams at the top suffer some injuries.

IndyRealist
07-19-2019, 11:37 AM
I'm going to throw out one more surprise team in the West: OKC.

I was looking over their roster this morning to make a comment in the CP3 thread, and it's really not half-bad. They're looking at a depth chart of:

PG CP3 / Schroder
SG SGA / Ferguson
SF Roberson
PF Gallo / Patterson
C Adams / Noel

And that's obviously pretty rough. No clue how the back court rotation will shake out or whether Gallo is capable of playing big minutes at the 4, but there's definitely talent on that team. With a pissed off Chris Paul, SGA developing his game and some solid scorers and defenders around them, why can't that team win 45-48 games? Everybody's acting like OKC is necessarily tanking, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get a 5 or 6 seed in the West, especially if some teams at the top suffer some injuries.

Peak CP3 could take that team to the playoffs. I don't know about current Paul, and if he misses any time they have to play Schroeder which virtually guarantees a lottery pick.

pebloemer
07-19-2019, 11:42 AM
With the way John Collins and Trae Young finished the season and some new young talent on the wings, I could see the Hawks being a surprise in the East.

Orlando made the playoffs last year, but I think they will be better than people expect this year. They finished the season on a 22-9 run, playing quality defense while seeing Ross and Isaac taking steps forward. I think they could compete for the 4-5 spots in the East.

West is hard. So many good teams. Is it possible San Antonio finally falls out of the playoffs picture?

mightybosstone
07-19-2019, 11:57 AM
Peak CP3 could take that team to the playoffs. I don't know about current Paul, and if he misses any time they have to play Schroeder which virtually guarantees a lottery pick.

Yeah, the team will definitely go the way CP3 goes. If he's healthy and motivated, I don't see why they couldn't have a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. Health will be a pretty big factor overall with guys like Gallo and Roberson, too. But even if the rest of the team is healthy, if Paul isn't or if he continues to decline, I could definitely see OKC sitting him for huge chunks of the season and going into full tank mode.

I'm optimistic about that team, though. There's a lot more to like than analysts and fans are giving it credit for.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-19-2019, 12:06 PM
A lot of you guys are picking "surprise teams" that are projected by almost a consensus to make the playoffs. IDK how you can say those teams will surprise when they are expected to at least make the playoffs. Utah? Indiana? C'mon now lol. Nobody should be surprised if they contend and finish top 4 in their conferences.

West: Kings - this is a homer pick, but there honestly is a ton of young talent and depth on this team and almost nobody is picking them to make the playoffs. I think they have the best chance to surprise people in the West. They play a very modern style of basketball too... fast pace with tons of 3 point shooting.

East: Hawks - they are developing something here and Trae Young is coming on strong. They are an even faster paced team than the Kings who I mentioned above and they also shoot a ton of 3 pointers. The East is also wide open for the 7 and 8 seeds so there is a path for them. Wouldn't shock me if they surprised people and made the playoffs.

COOLbeans
07-19-2019, 01:15 PM
Nobody has lol

Touchť. If you cared to, I was never an advocate of the Durant acquisition. I wouldíve rather them pay Barnes $20MM and left enough money to secure value for the bench. This wouldíve left more parity for the league and wouldíve created more flexibility and longevity for the Warriors imo. 2 out of 3 chanpisonhops for that roster is a loss. They shouldíve gone 100% and it shouldíve been much easier

bostncelts34
07-19-2019, 01:20 PM
East: Knicks. Because anything over 25 wins is always a surprise.

West-Sac/NO

pebloemer
07-19-2019, 01:31 PM
East: Knicks. Because anything over 25 wins is always a surprise.

West-Sac/NO

They'll get a lot of flack for being the NYK and who the DIDN'T sign (especially given the Porzingis trade), but adding Randle, Portis, Morris and Gibson to that front court is a huge improvement. I'm not sure what they have in Knox yet, but Barrett should be a quality NBA player at the very least as well. The East is pretty weak and they could push for a low playoff seed.

bostncelts34
07-19-2019, 01:38 PM
My opinion:

East: Pistons (2 to 5 final seeding)

West: Jazz (3 to 6 final seeding)

Detroit at 2 would be more than a surprise. There is absolutely NO way they reach number 2 unless 80% (starting players) of MIL/BoS/PhillY/ get injured.

bostncelts34
07-19-2019, 01:48 PM
They'll get a lot of flack for being the NYK and who the DIDN'T sign (especially given the Porzingis trade), but adding Randle, Portis, Morris and Gibson to that front court is a huge improvement. I'm not sure what they have in Knox yet, but Barrett should be a quality NBA player at the very least as well. The East is pretty weak and they could push for a low playoff seed.

Oh i agree. I think some of the signings they made will increase their win total. However, it doesn't mean it wont be surprising to see the Knicks above 25 wins lol

pebloemer
07-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Oh i agree. I think some of the signings they made will increase their win total. However, it doesn't mean it wont be surprising to see the Knicks above 25 wins lol

Very true :).

LeonFSU
07-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Heat and Kings

Dade County
07-19-2019, 03:54 PM
HEAT... finishing 4-5th seed. & making it to the 2nd rd.

GS... Making it to the 2nd rd & or WCF.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-19-2019, 04:01 PM
I don't think the Heat finishing as a 4 or 5 seed and making it to the 2nd round is a huge surprise. Is it a bit better than most are expecting from them? Sure, but it's not some total surprise. It's not like the Nets are guaranteed to be that much better this year and Toronto did lose Kawhi, so finishing as the 5 seed is a realistic scenario. That could match them up with a team like Boston or Indiana in the 1st round... not an unbeatable opponent. This type of season would be above my expectations, but not a huge surprise.

For them, a surprise would be a top 3 seed and an ECF birth. No one is expecting that.

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-19-2019, 04:02 PM

Lol no chance the Knicks make the playoffs

buckalis
07-19-2019, 05:35 PM
HEAT... finishing 4-5th seed. & making it to the 2nd rd.

GS... Making it to the 2nd rd & or WCF.

GSW to the West finals wouldn't be a surprise, but it ain't happening this season, Heat to the 4th-5th seed in the East, would be a surprise, but they have to make the 8th seed of the playoffs first... which will be quite an achievement if they can...

Then making it to the 2nd round against the Bucks? Good luck with that... Do you have Giannis' permission to dream promotion? I think he is preparing a ...nightmare for the 8th seed team (whichever it is)...

warehouseisbare
07-19-2019, 06:19 PM
Lol no chance the Knicks make the playoffs

Why donít you just tell everyone what to think and which team has a chance thatís an outsider because you donít like when people pick a team because ď theyíll obviously make the playoffs.Ē and you donít like people taking a chance on a team that isnít a lock. So what do you want people to say?

pebloemer
07-19-2019, 06:49 PM
Why donít you just tell everyone what to think and which team has a chance thatís an outsider because you donít like when people pick a team because ď theyíll obviously make the playoffs.Ē and you donít like people taking a chance on a team that isnít a lock. So what do you want people to say?

Yea. I thought that was the whole purpose of the thread :).

buckalis
07-19-2019, 07:07 PM

Which team of the East is weak?

Besides last season's "big-5" (Bucks, Sixers, Raptors, Celtics, Pacers), this season one has to add the Pistons and the Nets... That makes 7 teams having locked the playoffs...

If one (reasonably) assumes that the Heat will be fighting with the Magic for the 8th spot... That leaves the 10th seed as being the highest available for all the rest...

Out of the remaining teams, two (the Bulls and the Hawks) will surely be much improved this season... Will the Knicks be able to compete with them for the 12th seed?

YAALREADYKNO
07-19-2019, 07:22 PM
West: Warriors & Mavericks

East: Celtics & Magic

pebloemer
07-19-2019, 08:40 PM
Which team of the East is weak?

Besides last season's "big-5" (Bucks, Sixers, Raptors, Celtics, Pacers), this season one has to add the Pistons and the Nets... That makes 7 teams having locked the playoffs...

If one (reasonably) assumes that the Heat will be fighting with the Magic for the 8th spot... That leaves the 10th seed as being the highest available for all the rest...

Out of the remaining teams, two (the Bulls and the Hawks) will surely be much improved this season... Will the Knicks be able to compete with them for the 12th seed?

You want me to name a team that is weak in the East? Ok. The Cavaliers. Not sure what the point of the exercise was...

What makes the Bulls so improved? Thaddeus Young? They are in for another rough season....

I agree the Hawks should be better.

For more than a decade Eastern Conference teams have made the playoffs with a record around .500 (significantly lower than WC standards?). Are you seriously suggesting a conference that just lost Kawhi Leonard while gaining and injured Durant somehow got better?

Bucks lost Brogdon.
76ers lost Jimmy Butler and Redick while gaining Horford
Paces gained Brodgon but lost Bogdonavic while Oladipo still needs to return from injury.
Raptors lost Leonard and Green
Celtics lost Irving and Horford while gaining Kemba.
Nets gained Irving, but lost Russell and Durant is out for the season.
Heat improved, but not to contender status.

East is a mess.

buckalis
07-20-2019, 05:00 AM
You want me to name a team that is weak in the East? Ok. The Cavaliers. Not sure what the point of the exercise was...

Not sure why you mention a team that is on a rebuilt... You claimed that the (whole of the) East is weaker and therefore the Knicks have a chance to make it in the playoffs... didn't you?

What makes the Bulls so improved? Thaddeus Young? They are in for another rough season...

I agree the Hawks should be better.

The Bulls have developed a fully talented and capable roster... All they now miss is a leader and they'll turn to contenders... All their roster will be better given their age and experience developing and not only they've added more talent, but drafted again extremely well... I believe they will end up at a higher seeding than your team this season...

For more than a decade Eastern Conference teams have made the playoffs with a record around .500 (significantly lower than WC standards?). Are you seriously suggesting a conference that just lost Kawhi Leonard while gaining and injured Durant somehow got better?

Bucks lost Brogdon.
76ers lost Jimmy Butler and Redick while gaining Horford
Paces gained Brodgon but lost Bogdonavic while Oladipo still needs to return from injury.
Raptors lost Leonard and Green
Celtics lost Irving and Horford while gaining Kemba.
Nets gained Irving, but lost Russell and Durant is out for the season.
Heat improved, but not to contender status.

The Raptors have gone significantly worst alright, but unless they decide on a (partial) rebuilt (which is a possibily given that Lowery, Ibaka and Gasol are both aging and expiring contracts), don't expect them to miss the playoffs or be threatened by the Knicks alright...

and then... you are counting injuries (that may happen to any team in the league) as if the players won't be back at sometime...

Truth is that almost all teams in the league (but the the Thunder, the Wolves, the Raptors, the Wizards and the Hornets) have improved and the Knicks have to battle against much better teams in the East this time...

How many games do you expect the Knicks to win against the Bucks, the Sixers, the Nets, the Pacers, the Celtics, the Pistons, the Pacers, the Heat, the Magic, the Raptors and the Heat? ...10 perhaps?
Then how many games do you expect them to win against the West? ...8 perhaps?

That leaves the Bulls, the Hawks, the Cavs & the Wizards as to win another ...20+ games! ...make the addition, it's simple!

East is a mess.

In your dreams!

Tg11
07-20-2019, 07:00 AM
Team that surprises in the East I think will be the Orlando Magic and team that surprises in the West will be either the Sacramento Kings or New Orleans Pelicans. I say it will be the Pelicans assuming Zion lives up to the hype immediately.

buckalis
07-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Team that surprises in the East I think will be the Orlando Magic and team that surprises in the West will be either the Sacramento Kings or New Orleans Pelicans. I say it will be the Pelicans assuming Zion lives up to the hype immediately.

The Magic would be my second choice in the East... As long as they find a starting PG, which I'm sure they will, they can be a threat against any team and one can expect both Isaac and Bamba to show some significant progress this season...

But still, I think everybody underestimates the Pistons and coach Casey this season... I particularly mention Casey, because he is the best coach in the league to take the most out of his players and also to develop rookies as he has proved with Siakam, Anunoby and Van Vleet... and this time he has picked extremely well on Sekou Doumbouya next to filling with experienced veterans all the "holes" his roster had last season...

Pistons will be a threat for any team in the league this season...

pebloemer
07-20-2019, 10:55 AM
Not sure why you mention a team that is on a rebuilt... You claimed that the (whole of the) East is weaker and therefore the Knicks have a chance to make it in the playoffs... didn't you?

The Bulls have developed a fully talented and capable roster... All they now miss is a leader and they'll turn to contenders... All their roster will be better given their age and experience developing and not only they've added more talent, but drafted again extremely well... I believe they will end up at a higher seeding than your team this season...

The Raptors have gone significantly worst alright, but unless they decide on a (partial) rebuilt (which is a possibily given that Lowery, Ibaka and Gasol are both aging and expiring contracts), don't expect them to miss the playoffs or be threatened by the Knicks alright...

and then... you are counting injuries (that may happen to any team in the league) as if the players won't be back at sometime...

Truth is that almost all teams in the league (but the the Thunder, the Wolves, the Raptors, the Wizards and the Hornets) have improved and the Knicks have to battle against much better teams in the East this time...

How many games do you expect the Knicks to win against the Bucks, the Sixers, the Nets, the Pacers, the Celtics, the Pistons, the Pacers, the Heat, the Magic, the Raptors and the Heat? ...10 perhaps?
Then how many games do you expect them to win against the West? ...8 perhaps?

That leaves the Bulls, the Hawks, the Cavs & the Wizards as to win another ...20+ games! ...make the addition, it's simple!

In your dreams!

You believe the Bulls will be a higher seed than the Raptors?

buckalis
07-20-2019, 12:18 PM
You believe the Bulls will be a higher seed than the Raptors?

Not impossible... It depends how the teams will end up looking in seven months from now (till next trade deadline) and what the front offices will decide their policies till the end of the season should be...

pebloemer
07-20-2019, 12:23 PM
So I'll put you in the camp that feels the Bulls could be a surprise team in the East then :).

buckalis
07-20-2019, 01:43 PM
So I'll put you in the camp that feels the Bulls could be a surprise team in the East then :).

Look... the Bulls are perhaps the most underestimated team in the league, they had all shorts of unfortunate happenings to them last season...

1. They were plagued with injuries on four of their starters until mid December...
2. They had bad chemistry with the coach they started the season...
3. One mistake (signing Jabari Parker for the contract they did) caused them their defense to be completely disordered...
4. They shouldn't tank (IMO) thereafter, because tanking caused them to not be a targeted destination from top free agents this season...
5. They didn't have a real PG with playmaking ability to organize their game on the floor...

All problems solved and with the roster depth they have, there is no reason not to be contenders if they can add a leader...

Clearly, they should have gotten Casey for coach instead of letting the Pistons have him last season and things would have been very different indeed...

Or perhaps, the Bucks should get Casey and the Bulls Budenholzer...

Tg11
07-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Pistons are another team

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Anything between the Knicks and the projected playoff teams.