PDA

View Full Version : Are the Knicks the new Nets?

Giannis94
07-15-2019, 10:53 PM
I'm leaning on saying yes? This on'es for all knicks fans that reported me & told me to stop trolling when I said the nets had a brighter future tha n the nicks

TylerSL
07-16-2019, 02:08 AM
The Brooklyn Nets are the team that most accurately represents New York City, but the fans will still probably love the Knicks more for no other reason than the Knicks play in Madison Square Garden. Seriously, only the New York fans would put up with the Knicks. If the Knicks were this awful and inept for this long in any other city they would have been forced to relocate because nobody would go to their games. They wouldn't be able to pay people to go to their games. But New York fans keep going back because they glorify the Knicks as they play in "The Mecca of Basketball". When was the last time a relevant game was played at MSG? Alas, the Knicks will still probably get more ratings and ticket sales because their fans will never give up on them. They continue to enable James Dolan.

rhino17
07-16-2019, 02:41 AM
MSG is probably the grossest professional sports stadium I've ever been to. Knicks are irrelevant and largely have been for decades.

Scoots
07-16-2019, 09:56 AM
Are the Lakers the new Clippers?

Obviously not to that and the OP.

Scoots
07-16-2019, 09:57 AM
MSG is probably the grossest professional sports stadium I've ever been to. Knicks are irrelevant and largely have been for decades.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the 500 and the University of Tennessee for football are better, but those are far less often.

Giannis94
07-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Are the Lakers the new Clippers?

Obviously not to that and the OP.

The lakers turn into another dumpster fire, yes?

Scoots
07-16-2019, 01:31 PM
The lakers turn into another dumpster fire, yes?

The Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics are going to stay top draws regardless. They are legacy teams.

jericho
07-16-2019, 01:55 PM
The Brooklyn Nets are the team that most accurately represents New York City, but the fans will still probably love the Knicks more for no other reason than the Knicks play in Madison Square Garden. Seriously, only the New York fans would put up with the Knicks. If the Knicks were this awful and inept for this long in any other city they would have been forced to relocate because nobody would go to their games. They wouldn't be able to pay people to go to their games. But New York fans keep going back because they glorify the Knicks as they play in "The Mecca of Basketball". When was the last time a relevant game was played at MSG? Alas, the Knicks will still probably get more ratings and ticket sales because their fans will never give up on them. They continue to enable James Dolan.

Just because they added Kyrie and KD lol. We saw what Kyrie was before Lebron. We saw what he was with the Celtics. And then add KD coming from an Achilles injury. Knicks are not better than the Nets right now but I would say they have a better future than the Nets.

Now if they were adding a healthy KD with no Achilles injury with Kyrie. That would be a different story.

mightybosstone
07-16-2019, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the Knicks are the new... Knicks. Has the franchise honestly been relevant since the late 90s/early 2000s? I'm pretty sure the Knicks are the same poorly-run franchise they've been since Ewing's career ended and Van Gundy was out as head coach. Even the Stoudemire/Melo/Chandler era Knicks felt pretty uneventful.

Say what you will about the Nets, but they've been way more relevant in the last 20 years than the Knicks have been. They got to the finals twice and the second round of the playoffs four more times. That's way more success than the Knicks have had.

(And this is in no way a troll on Knicks fans. I feel your pain as a fan of some mediocre franchises over the years and honestly wish the franchise was relevant again. The NBA is more interesting when the big, longtime franchises are playing good basketball.)

Giannis94
07-16-2019, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the Knicks are the new... Knicks. Has the franchise honestly been relevant since the late 90s/early 2000s? I'm pretty sure the Knicks are the same poorly-run franchise they've been since Ewing's career ended and Van Gundy was out as head coach. Even the Stoudemire/Melo/Chandler era Knicks felt pretty uneventful.

Say what you will about the Nets, but they've been way more relevant in the last 20 years than the Knicks have been. They got to the finals twice and the second round of the playoffs four more times. That's way more success than the Knicks have had.

(And this is in no way a troll on Knicks fans. I feel your pain as a fan of some mediocre franchises over the years and honestly wish the franchise was relevant again. The NBA is more interesting when the big, longtime franchises are playing good basketball.)

You do have some valid points. But up until a few weeks ago Knicks fans would just say "bwwaaahahaha netsz traded lillard & Brown/ Tatum for nothing" so I feel like this FA for them was monumental in getting them out from underneat the "little brother" label.

ManningToTyree
07-16-2019, 04:11 PM

As a knicks fan this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeartOfStarks
07-16-2019, 07:27 PM

What does ďmost accurately represent NYCĒ mean? Are you from NY?

For me & I'm sure many Knicks fans like me, we love the team because we grew up loving them, like most fans Iím guessing. I grew up with the 90s Knicks. I loved those teams and my fandom grew from there.

That said Dolan is horrible, and yes the franchise has been a joke for damn near 20 years now. Itís pathetic. Knicks fans as sheer customers have every right to not buy this product. But sports fandom isnít rational necessarily and itís hard to just stop loving your home team. I played ball my whole life so this is my sport. Itís as simple as that.

The Nets have their own fan base, probably a lot of New Jersey fans and obviously some NY as well. And they for sure will target kid fans, and get them. Obviously theyíre the better team now and really for the past 20 years pretty much. Theyíre much better run than we are. Not a ton we can do about that, Dolan is just horrible. But sure I guess we could stop watching/not be fans of the team but itís easier said than done when you love b-ball.

AntiG
07-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Outside of that one stacked underachieving team in 2013 and Linsanity, the Knicks haven't really been good this century, since Van Gundy. During that time period the Nets built a championship contender that lost in the finals twice, made the playoffs 10 times (over 50% this century), acquired just as many marquee players, and even when they went to purgatory after trading away their entire future for the aging Celtics they rebuilt their franchise to a playoff squad with almost no quality draft picks nor big ticket FAs until this season while the Knicks are the worst team in the league. The badass mid-90s Knicks of Ewing, Oakley, Mason, Starks, Smith, McDaniel that battled and battered the Bulls are long gone.

Knicks are still the favorite son in NYC, but the Nets have been the far better franchise for over two decades already.

cheetos185
07-16-2019, 09:32 PM
As a Knicks fan it's been brutal supporting this team for years now but what a Knicks fan would hate even more is rooting for nets. I rather just stop watching NBA period if I can't tolerate Knicks stupidity anymore.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Tg11
07-16-2019, 10:28 PM
Only way Knicks can have a proper rebuild similar to Brooklyn and how they had their rebuild for years is having Dolan sell the team. If Dolan sold the team...yeah sure it would make a lot of New Yorkers happy. However, even selling the team you would need to have a proper owner in place to buy the team. Then after that, of course hiring a new GM too and drafting high of course by having rebuilding tanking seasons until you have enough cap space to go after free agents and lure them to New York. Brooklyn tried this approach and it worked for them.

Bostonjorge
07-16-2019, 10:53 PM
They got some luck this year. Barrett is the best draft pick they had since Ewing. Itís not all bad.

TylerSL
07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Just because they added Kyrie and KD lol. We saw what Kyrie was before Lebron. We saw what he was with the Celtics. And then add KD coming from an Achilles injury. Knicks are not better than the Nets right now but I would say they have a better future than the Nets.

Now if they were adding a healthy KD with no Achilles injury with Kyrie. That would be a different story.

What exactly have the Knicks done to be the top team in New York? They certainly haven't won anything, with four playoff appearances since 2001. The Nets at least don't constantly screw over their fans and everyone associated with them. They also compete, having 2 NBA Finals appearances and 10 playoff births since 2001 (the same time-span as the Knicks last 4 playoff appearances).

As to who has the brighter future, I guess only time will tell. Seeing as how the Knicks never win and the Nets will be getting KD back next year, I know who I'd put my money on.

smith&wesson
07-17-2019, 10:31 AM
NBA needs to see James Dolan out the door.

jericho
07-17-2019, 12:56 PM
What exactly have the Knicks done to be the top team in New York? They certainly haven't won anything, with four playoff appearances since 2001. The Nets at least don't constantly screw over their fans and everyone associated with them. They also compete, having 2 NBA Finals appearances and 10 playoff births since 2001 (the same time-span as the Knicks last 4 playoff appearances).

As to who has the brighter future, I guess only time will tell. Seeing as how the Knicks never win and the Nets will be getting KD back next year, I know who I'd put my money on.

I'm not even addressing the top paragraph because that's not at all what we are talking about. We all know this and we've all seen it.

Second paragraph. We all can agree that Kyrie is an upgrade over Dlo. But he ain't a leader. He has build this reputation around the league of being a great closer thanks to that series against gstate while playing with Lebron. Just look at what he has done post and before Lebron. Healthy KD is a beast no arguing that one. But he is coming from an Achilles injury which is going to hinder his game a lot. I'm not gonna talk about the percentages because everybody thinks it's going to be a "well he used to score 30ppg 10rpg so 70% out of that would be 21ppg 7rpg with good efficiency just because he is a great shooter and doesn't use his athletic ability", that's just not how it works. He is a 7'0" SF that if you get to close to him to guard him from 3 he will blow by you. Guess what that part of his game is gone now. He won't be able to do that anymore. Yeah he is still 7'0" and can still shoot it over anyone but thay change to his game is going to make it easier for people to guard him not to mention his defense will take a huge dip because of it as well.

The best thing for KD to do will be to hit up Dirk and start emulating his game. Because Dirks game doesn't rely on athletic ability. And he is a 7'0" that can shoot it over anyone.

cheetos185
07-17-2019, 01:36 PM
NBA needs to see James Dolan out the door.NBA needs to make Dolan disappear forever.

Giannis94
07-17-2019, 01:59 PM
NBA needs to make Dolan disappear forever.

They did that to Donald Sterling so there's always a chance. I just think the Knicks added too many pieces this off-season that keeps them out of consensus top 3/4 and puts them just in the conversation & not guaranteed.

Scoots
07-17-2019, 10:50 PM
NBA needs to see James Dolan out the door.

They never will. Not unless he commits a hate crime on video.

still a fan
07-18-2019, 05:08 PM
I'm guessing the posters who feel Net's will be all that this year didn't watch many games last year?

The reason they made the playoffs were because of Dlo, Carroll, Davis and Dudley........what do they all have in common?

Just in case......they are all gone.

So you replace an allstar guard who did not have a high usage rate for Pg's with a PG that will have a very high usage rate.
The team this year minues KD has no Power Forward, no starting PF and no backup, and to think Chandler possibly starts at PF is not an elite team.

Who replaces the heart and soul of the vets that the coach last year credited the reason for the season they had?
Davis did all the dirty work and hustle, Carroll was just great for them, two way player, hit clutch shots, and spread the court. Then Dudley was another tough guy, who hit three's and played hard nose BB.

So now you have LeVert who may leave if he is not seeing the ball because his usage rate for a wing player is high and we all know Kyrie will lower that, then what happens when KD joins the club for LeVert?

All that said, Nets won 42 games last year with the vets gone and Kyrie better than Dlo, lets call it even so what exactly is all the rants about the nets if they can't win more than 3 more games this year?

I think when KD comes that will greatly improve the team injury and all, but then he has what three seasons and one coming off injury, we saw how many players in year one be a shell of themselves.

The hope for the Knicks is RJ is all that, he seems to be a gifted strong athlete. That Randle keeps growing from his last year game that had him at 21/9/3 and after the allstar break many don't even realize he was a 24/9/3 guy, how many players do that?
Morris is going to help the team big time, he's a true hard nose 3&D guy, Mitch was a find and a defensive terror.

The question is can DSJ reach the next level and his potential as the PG of the Knicks? What will Payton bring will he start or come off the bench.
Will Portis take the next jump with his game.

I don't know what Taj, Ellington or Bullock (who will miss the first month) will bring or how they will be incorporated.

But I see a nets team get two big time FA's and have one play and maybe win 3 more games and a Knicks team that may surprise a lot folks pending all the ifs stated above.

As a Knick fan since before the 69 season, I can tell you this is the most intriguing season yet for me, because you just have no idea which way it can go.

The last thing is there are many contracts, Portis, Ellington, Morris, Payton, Taj that are all 1&1 deals with the second year being team options all of them. That makes all of them attractive to contenders who need that extra lift so who knows who even sticks before the deadline.

I don't have a crystal ball but I could see GS trading Dlo to the Knicks for Morris, Payton and whichever young player steps up their game, maybe a Frank or Trier, or Dotson. GS needs a bench and when Klay returns the need for Dlo won't be as needed but they do need the guys listed which will make them much better and have more depth.
Actually now that Bullock got signed for only 4m if he comes back strong from the surgery he could be a landing spot for GS as well.

As I said lots of open if's but it won't be boring lol

cheetos185
07-18-2019, 08:05 PM
They did that to Donald Sterling so there's always a chance. I just think the Knicks added too many pieces this off-season that keeps them out of consensus top 3/4 and puts them just in the conversation & not guaranteed.Yea way too much I don't think they needed Ellington or Taj. There success also hangs on DSJ if he takes that DLO next step then Knicks can make some noise otherwise they will fall apart after Christmas.

themadstork
07-18-2019, 08:19 PM
I'm guessing the posters who feel Net's will be all that this year didn't watch many games last year?

The reason they made the playoffs were because of Dlo, Carroll, Davis and Dudley........what do they all have in common?

Just in case......they are all gone.

So you replace an allstar guard who did not have a high usage rate for Pg's with a PG that will have a very high usage rate.
The team this year minues KD has no Power Forward, no starting PF and no backup, and to think Chandler possibly starts at PF is not an elite team.

Who replaces the heart and soul of the vets that the coach last year credited the reason for the season they had?
Davis did all the dirty work and hustle, Carroll was just great for them, two way player, hit clutch shots, and spread the court. Then Dudley was another tough guy, who hit three's and played hard nose BB.

So now you have LeVert who may leave if he is not seeing the ball because his usage rate for a wing player is high and we all know Kyrie will lower that, then what happens when KD joins the club for LeVert?

All that said, Nets won 42 games last year with the vets gone and Kyrie better than Dlo, lets call it even so what exactly is all the rants about the nets if they can't win more than 3 more games this year?

I think when KD comes that will greatly improve the team injury and all, but then he has what three seasons and one coming off injury, we saw how many players in year one be a shell of themselves.

The hope for the Knicks is RJ is all that, he seems to be a gifted strong athlete. That Randle keeps growing from his last year game that had him at 21/9/3 and after the allstar break many don't even realize he was a 24/9/3 guy, how many players do that?
Morris is going to help the team big time, he's a true hard nose 3&D guy, Mitch was a find and a defensive terror.

The question is can DSJ reach the next level and his potential as the PG of the Knicks? What will Payton bring will he start or come off the bench.
Will Portis take the next jump with his game.

I don't know what Taj, Ellington or Bullock (who will miss the first month) will bring or how they will be incorporated.

But I see a nets team get two big time FA's and have one play and maybe win 3 more games and a Knicks team that may surprise a lot folks pending all the ifs stated above.

As a Knick fan since before the 69 season, I can tell you this is the most intriguing season yet for me, because you just have no idea which way it can go.

The last thing is there are many contracts, Portis, Ellington, Morris, Payton, Taj that are all 1&1 deals with the second year being team options all of them. That makes all of them attractive to contenders who need that extra lift so who knows who even sticks before the deadline.

I don't have a crystal ball but I could see GS trading Dlo to the Knicks for Morris, Payton and whichever young player steps up their game, maybe a Frank or Trier, or Dotson. GS needs a bench and when Klay returns the need for Dlo won't be as needed but they do need the guys listed which will make them much better and have more depth.
Actually now that Bullock got signed for only 4m if he comes back strong from the surgery he could be a landing spot for GS as well.

As I said lots of open if's but it won't be boring lol

Beating up on little brother is much more fun when heís got a little piss and vinegar to him...you stay salty.

Should be a fun season.

-Stork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk