PDA

View Full Version : Rockets acquire Westbrook for CP3 + Picks

kdspurman
07-11-2019, 08:31 PM

NBA all the way
07-11-2019, 08:34 PM
Gotta hand it to the Thunder on getting tons of picks for their stars.

Vinny642
07-11-2019, 08:36 PM
I dont like the fit for Houston, but Thunder about to own every 1st round pick for the next decade.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Wow

NBA all the way
07-11-2019, 08:38 PM
I dont like the fit for Houston, but Thunder about to own every 1st round pick for the next decade.

Agreed, strange fit.

greg_ory_2005
07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
This is about to be a fun NBA season

numba1CHANGsta
07-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Both ball hogs playing under DíAntoni equals disaster

IndyRealist
07-11-2019, 08:43 PM
The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026, and pick swaps in 2021 and 2025, league sources told ESPN.

Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti worked with Westbrook and his agent, Thad Foucher, to deliver the former MVP to his preferred destination: a reunion with James Harden, sources said.

Westbrook and Harden played together in Oklahoma City for three seasons from 2009 to 2012.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 08:45 PM
Yo Rocket fans... how you feeling about this?

Bostonjorge
07-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Westbrook is perfect for the Rockets offense.

Vee-Rex
07-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Yeah I wanna hear from Rox fans on this.

I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I feel like Westy could really leave his mark in this Rockets offense. Bring some sorely needed high energy slashing to the rim.

On the other hand, too much of Westbrick will hurt. Will the Rockets find a good balance? Will Harden and Westbrook co-exist effectively? Time will tell - but they've got 82 games to figure it out.

Dade County
07-11-2019, 08:53 PM
Congrats Rocket fans!

Cal827
07-11-2019, 08:55 PM
Thunder First Round Picks Picks over the next bit

2020: Denver (Top 10 protected), Theirs (Top 20 protected)
2021: Miami (Unprotected), Best of Theirs and Houston's
2022: Theirs (Top 14 protected), Clippers (Unprotected)
2023: Best of Theirs or Clippers, Miami (Top 14 protected)
2024: Houston (Unprotected?), Clippers (Unprotected), Theirs
2025: Best of Theirs, Houston, and Clippers
2026: Theirs, Houstons (Unprotected?), Clippers (Unprotected?)

I think this is the best I've ever seen a team position itself for a rebuild... This is like some 2k **** :laugh2:

Especially since after 2021, both of those teams could plummet themselves depending on free agency. Extremely High Risk, Extremely High Reward..... Man, I'm happy the Raptors got away with just giving away their first this season in the Demar/Kawhi trade :laugh2:

SteBO
07-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Well aint that something'. Great return for OKC!

mightybosstone
07-11-2019, 08:58 PM
****. This. ****.

Bostonjorge
07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Rockets are all shooters. Westbrook attacks the rim every play and did it with Zero shooters in Okc.

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:03 PM
great return for OKC... get out of westy and get more firsts and moon the heat in the process. As for the rockets..... not sure... it could be great or horrid lol

cheetos185
07-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Hmm westbrook and harden you need two basketballs here right Morey.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

babyd831
07-11-2019, 09:06 PM
This trade makes the Lakers trade for AD look way better!!!!!!

lakerfan85
07-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Does CP3 stay in OKC?

NYKnickFanatic
07-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Does CP3 stay in OKC?

Maybe they flip him for more picks lol

KobeOwnSU
07-11-2019, 09:10 PM
Westbrook and Harden? Donít think that is gonna work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:12 PM
This trade makes the Lakers trade for AD look way better!!!!!!

It doesnt until AD signs down long term... even then the rockets got a top 15 player and it cost them 2 firsts that will be late firsts..... the OKC/Clippers deal makes all deal look great but this one who knows... good return by OKC though

jericho
07-11-2019, 09:23 PM
So the question here is. Do you guys think cp3 gets bought out or what happens

goingfor28
07-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Chris Paul back in OKC lol

GiantsSwaGG
07-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Atrocious trade by the Rockets, Westbrook and Harden are a HORRIBLE fit

kobebabe
07-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Wow. I am not even sure what to make of this. Harden and RWB on the same team?
Seem like an overreaction to what Clippers and Lakers are doing. They feel like they have to keep up. Unless they both change their game this isnít going to work. Thereís only 1 ball to go around. Maybe I am wrong but time will tell
On the other hand damn OKC! Great return from both stars.

THE MTL
07-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Lol OKC is not playing with these picks. I love it!

Giannis94
07-11-2019, 09:27 PM
This is hilarious. Good chance the rockets are lottery bound in 2026 and this past lottery proves that you can't tank your way into the top 4 and go into the lottery feeling good about it.

still1ballin
07-11-2019, 09:28 PM
:dance:

Giannis94
07-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Can someone explain the protections on the pick swaps? Saw 21-30 or something like that and was a bit confused

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Lol OKC is pulling off some masterful **** over the last week... their GM is a god.

still1ballin
07-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Hopefully okc buys cp3 out or something. Canít envision him wanting to play there
Nor suiting up at the start of the season

brandt
07-11-2019, 09:40 PM
As a Rockets fan I donít think itís awful, because itís better than Chris Paul assuming theyíll be a good fit together. No one thought Chris Paul and Harden would work either. I do not think Westbrook was worth all of the picks though and now the Rockets donít have any picks for like what, 10 years? Itís obviously to win now though and everyone else was already taken, so it was the next best thing. Honestly I just wish Morey would trade Harden. Thatís the only way weíll be contenders again!

Giannis94
07-11-2019, 09:42 PM
What are we going to call this as this is any sort of previous process on steroids

Giannis94
07-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Shams said that 2025 swap is protected 1-20. So that doesn't really count as a pick, no?

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:46 PM
Hopefully okc buys cp3 out or something. Canít envision him wanting to play there
Nor suiting up at the start of the season

already a report out that they will try to trade him... lol imagine they get something from the heat now for him xD

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:47 PM
the rockets had no real choice... CP3/Harden wasnt cutting it... they got a much better player over CP3... yes the contract is horrid but the rockets werent going to be free agency players for a long *** time anyway... so is it an overpay? yes... was it smart? yes

IndyRealist
07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
CP3 was terrible last year. He got hit by the age stick like a mack truck. Unless RWB pulls a Kyrie and the team implodes, they got better at the cost of picks.

SteBO
07-11-2019, 09:52 PM
already a report out that they will try to trade him... lol imagine they get something from the heat now for him xD
Noooo!!!!!!!!

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Noooo!!!!!!!!

lol i am saying the same thing in the free agency thread... id rather have dragic over cp3... heat should stay away

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 09:57 PM
CP3 was terrible last year. He got hit by the age stick like a mack truck. Unless RWB pulls a Kyrie and the team implodes, they got better at the cost of picks.

yup... much better tbh. Nobody doubled cp3 before or cared if he drove... Now you gotta worry about doubling harden on the outside while worrying about westy slashing and driving inside. smart trade by the rockets because there was no other avenue for them to get better. Heat allowed them to pull a rabbit out of their hat and **** the rest of the west. Harden/Westy is far more dangerous than harden/cp3.

Giannis94
07-11-2019, 09:58 PM
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1149478200994459651?s=21

So this means that 2026 is only a swap if it lands 21-30, correct? Or is the opposite? Any chance someone can help

R. Johnson#3
07-11-2019, 10:02 PM
PSDís Woj seems to be dead silent. How many things has he been wrong about this off-season so far? Check your sources bruh!

Jamiecballer
07-11-2019, 10:06 PM
I don't think it will be successful. I see 45 wins tops. Interesting experiment though.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

JAZZNC
07-11-2019, 10:07 PM
PSDís Woj seems to be dead silent. How many things has he been wrong about this off-season so far? Check your sources bruh!
LMFAO! I said the exact same thing in the free agency thread haha!

goingfor28
07-11-2019, 10:07 PM
I actually don't think Russ is a terrible fit. Gives them a slashing guard surrounded by shooters. If Russ is willing to share the ball he could be very successful imo.

aman_13
07-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Westbrook fits into the D'Antoni offense better than Paul did. They are maximizing that anything but idyllic offense.

still1ballin
07-11-2019, 10:10 PM

More picks? Do heat have any more? :laugh:

jericho
07-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Cp3 for Wall and draft picks

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Cp3 for Wall and draft picks

this would actually be really smart by OKC... get picks and bet on wall coming back healthy

jericho
07-11-2019, 10:16 PM
this would actually be really smart by OKC... get picks and bet on wall coming back healthy

Everything they've been doing this offseason has been smart lol

IndyRealist
07-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Everything they've been doing this offseason has been smart lol

It's funny that we have a thread about Sam Presti being overrated.

jericho
07-11-2019, 10:22 PM
It's funny that we have a thread about Sam Presti being overrated.

No I agree he is, better yet he was. He just came and said Ujiri what naw guys I'm still here.

IndyRealist
07-11-2019, 10:28 PM
No I agree he is, better yet he was. He just came and said Ujiri what naw guys I'm still here.

I mean he recognized that certain teams this year saw the consolidation of all-stars going on and were desperate to be/stay relevant. He cashed out his chips and walked away from the table when everyone else went all-in.

jericho
07-11-2019, 10:30 PM
I mean he recognized that certain teams this year saw the consolidation of all-stars going on and were desperate to be/stay relevant. He cashed out his chips and walked away from the table when everyone else went all-in.

The best part is that he is great at drafting. He just needs to keep the team together afterwards.

mightybosstone
07-11-2019, 10:33 PM
Still trying to recover from this--it's probably going to take a few weeks. I recognize that Westbrook's ability to penetrate and run in transition makes him a good fit in D'Antoni's offense, and I do like elements of his game. The dude is legitimately talented, certainly moreso than Paul at this point in his career.

I just really, really don't like the guy and really haven't liked him for the better part of a decade. It's not quite the equivalent of if the Rockets had traded for Karl Malone in the 90s, but it's damn close. And I really, really like Paul and always have. They basically traded a veteran player I've loved and enjoyed watching play for 10+ years for a guy whose game and general attitude I've loathed for 10+ years.

I've talked more **** about Westbrook than almost any other player in the NBA since I came to PSD. The idea of him wearing a Rockets jersey makes me legitimately a little icky. At the same time... maybe it'll work out? Maybe Paul will continue to decline and Westbrook could capture the magic he had prior to his decline last season, and the Rockets will somehow be better?

I dunno... My head is still spinning, and it's going to take a while before I can truly stomach this. Morey could do me a huge favor by adding another 3 and D wing to make me feel better, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

mightybosstone
07-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Someone try to talk me down off the ledge... Why could this work? Maybe I can justify it in that it probably extends the Rockets' window to potentially win a title by a couple of years assuming Westbrook can return to form a bit? Maybe Westbrook and Harden's prior chemistry and friendship will bring out the best in each other and Westbrook will finally find a somewhat competent 3-point shot in D'Antoni's offense?

I'm seriously losing my mind tonight, guys. This is the strangest I've felt as a Rockets fan... maybe ever.

tredigs
07-11-2019, 11:04 PM
:laugh:

WaDe03
07-11-2019, 11:05 PM
Yíall donít want this smoke.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 11:07 PM
Someone try to talk me down off the ledge... Why could this work? Maybe I can justify it in that it probably extends the Rockets' window to potentially win a title by a couple of years assuming Westbrook can return to form a bit? Maybe Westbrook and Harden's prior chemistry and friendship will bring out the best in each other and Westbrook will finally find a somewhat competent 3-point shot in D'Antoni's offense?

I'm seriously losing my mind tonight, guys. This is the strangest I've felt as a Rockets fan... maybe ever.
Idk if I want to talk you down but I do love me some b-ball talk so here we go...

CP3 is obviously the better fit. However, his injury concerns with his age are too problematic. Westbrookís deal is a year longer but dude is as durable as they come. If they can get him to stop shooting and just attack the rim he could be a great piece to have. His able to slash will give your offense a different look.

The biggest issues will be can he coexist with Harden and understand itís not his team. Heís there to be Robin to Batman. Will he stop shooting the 3 unless itís a rotated pass to him wide open. Will he stop stat chasing. If he can do those things then youíll be a nightmare match up for most teams in the playoffs.

tredigs
07-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Lollll, no, Curry shook Morey to the core and he went for a Grand Slam. He whiffed! Curry owns peak Westbrook (AND Harden) by the way. Not to mention the Clips are now an even worse matchup.

Jump off that proverbial ledge. You're ****ed.

mightybosstone
07-11-2019, 11:12 PM
Idk if I want to talk you down but I do love me some b-ball talk so here we go...

CP3 is obviously the better fit. However, his injury concerns with his age are too problematic. Westbrookís deal is a year longer but dude is as durable as they come. If they can get him to stop shooting and just attack the rim he could be a great piece to have. His able to slash will give your offense a different look.

The biggest issues will be can he coexist with Harden and understand itís not his team. Heís there to be Robin to Batman. Will he stop shooting the 3 unless itís a rotated pass to him wide open. Will he stop stat chasing. If he can do those things then youíll be a nightmare match up for most teams in the playoffs.

This helps a little. That's a fairly reasonable take... I took a half-step back...

R. Johnson#3
07-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Maybe you should go to the reporters D-League?

More-Than-Most
07-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Lollll, no, Curry shook Morey to the core and he went for a Grand Slam. He whiffed! Curry owns peak Westbrook (AND Harden) by the way. Not to mention the Clips are now an even worse matchup.

they could always dodge curry and pray the clippers take out the warriors and maybe they get the lakers in the West finals : )

Honestly this move makes them a much better team

still1ballin
07-11-2019, 11:16 PM

oh no

tredigs
07-11-2019, 11:20 PM

they could always dodge curry and pray the clippers take out the warriors and maybe they get the lakers in the West finals : )

To be real I 100% disagree. CO was their best player in game 6 and their X factor period. Curry + Klay OWN those two. And the Clips are better than both (tho they could clearly lose too... Kawhi is hilariously overrated and PG is damaged).

Warriors champs >>>

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:21 PM
This helps a little. That's a fairly reasonable take... I took a half-step back...

Take a full step back homie. As far as Iím concerned the Rockets are gonna be deadly this year. Whoís stopping that back court? And the full supporting cast remains. Harden and WB have familiarity. I think itís gravy.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Be nice Tre... no need to kick a man when their down.

mightybosstone
07-11-2019, 11:36 PM
Take a full step back homie. As far as Iím concerned the Rockets are gonna be deadly this year. Whoís stopping that back court? And the full supporting cast remains. Harden and WB have familiarity. I think itís gravy.

OK, yeah, **** it... It took all of three hours, but I'm all about the Harden/Westbrook train!!! Let's do it!!! Red Nation!!!

(Honestly, at this point, why the **** not? Harden's not getting any younger, Paul certainly wasn't and if this is a train wreck, it should be an interesting one to say the least. If it fails miserably, at least I can fall back on the 'Stros. Oh yeah, and that whole "wife and kid" thing...)

IKnowHoops
07-11-2019, 11:36 PM

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Thatís the first thing that came to my mind lol

I love Wade though, donít get me wrong, but thatís part of being brothers and making fun of each other.

But Wade, time to throw away and retire that PSD Woj stick right?

The confidence in your predictions are gold. But I have no room to talk. I was so freaking wrong about KL. No one was more wrong than I was...but I donít say ďIím hearingĒ or ďIíve been toldĒ or ďIím the PSD wojĒ. Lol bro I love you though. Keep doing what your doing. We need you doing you in this forum.

tredigs
07-11-2019, 11:38 PM
Be nice Tre... no need to kick a man when their down.
:laugh: Daryl Morey panic move of the century. They're DONE.

cmellofan15
07-11-2019, 11:40 PM
To be real I 100% disagree. CO was their best player in game 6 and their X factor period. Curry + Klay OWN those two. And the Clips are better than both (tho they could clearly lose too... Kawhi is hilariously overrated and PG is damaged).

Warriors champs >>>

Lost their best player and picked up a guy that will prolly end up on the Wolves...but dreaming is fun lmao

Funny choice of words tho, hilariously overrated and damaged is exactly how I would describe the splash bros in the playoffs last year :laugh2:

Dade County
07-11-2019, 11:40 PM

Wrong West has only one speed. In no story ever, Westbrook is the robin. He's a force of nature, at times nature is calm, then at other times, a hurricane is on top of you.

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:44 PM
OK, yeah, **** it... It took all of three hours, but I'm all about the Harden/Westbrook train!!! Let's do it!!! Red Nation!!!

(Honestly, at this point, why the **** not? Harden's not getting any younger, Paul certainly wasn't and if this is a train wreck, it should be an interesting one to say the least. If it fails miserably, at least I can fall back on the 'Stros. Oh yeah, and that whole "wife and kid" thing...)

Exactly my dude. As long as we have Harden we should be in contention and we werenít getting over the hump with Paul.

Harden and WB been to the finals together. Their fit wonít be an issue which is why I think WB preferred Houston. He has a chance to contend and with an elite player heís already familiar with.

Best back court in the league period! And Iím glad we kept Capela.

WaDe03
07-11-2019, 11:44 PM
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Thatís the first thing that came to my mind lol

I love Wade though, donít get me wrong, but thatís part of being brothers and making fun of each other.

But Wade, time to throw away and retire that PSD Woj stick right?

The confidence in your predictions are gold. But I have no room to talk. I was so freaking wrong about KL. No one was more wrong than I was...but I donít say ďIím hearingĒ or ďIíve been toldĒ or ďIím the PSD wojĒ. Lol bro I love you though. Keep doing what your doing. We need you doing you in this forum.

Hahaha brother Iím still an 85% shooter! 1-3 on this summer though, my percentage taking a slight dip 😂😂

WaDe03
07-11-2019, 11:45 PM
Maybe you should go to the reporters D-League?

Pull up with the hands.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Eh Westy isnít conductive to winning if you ask me. When heís trying to be the top dog and glory hunting heís detrimental. Heís basically a bigger more athletic A.I. This all hinges on him accepting his role and changing. Itís completely possible but most of theses guys are so damn egotistical that they canít. Iíll def be watching to see tho. Itís got potential to either be great or horrible.

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:47 PM

Not at all. In fact Iím happy as hell were out of Paulís contract. That old man has no business making that kind of money. The picks given up arenít going to be good picks and both Harden and WB are locked up on their prime. It was a great move.

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:52 PM
Eh Westy isnít conductive to winning if you ask me. When heís trying to be the top dog and glory hunting heís detrimental. Heís basically a bigger more athletic A.I. This all hinges on him accepting his role and changing. Itís completely possible but most of theses guys are so damn egotistical that they canít. Iíll def be watching to see tho. Itís got potential to either be great or horrible.

Weíll see. I really love the pairing because of their familiarity. these guys have played together before and have had success. Iím sure at this point in both their careers they want to win. Iím not sure ego will be an issue. Their skill sets really compliment one another offensively.

WB wonít have to do nearly as much and can even be staggered so that when one of Harden or Gordon arenít on the floor he will be. This team will be a lot of fun to watch. Iím super happy Paul is gone. At least WB isnít washed.

IKnowHoops
07-11-2019, 11:53 PM

I like the pickup. Remember Russ was injured early on, so it messed up his season. If he is able to get a full offseason of training, heís going to be a terror. If he just focuses more on getting assists and stops taking 3ís, heís going to be very helpful. And I think his game allows Harden to do what he does on a more continuous basis. Plus I think heís coming with a chip on his shoulder, hearing all the talk and heíll want to prove people wrong by playing the right way. CP3 aged and was never going to do what you needed. With Russell you at least have a top 5 athlete in the nba and he can literally do whatever he wants on the court. You just have to make him want to do the right things.

IKnowHoops
07-11-2019, 11:54 PM

😂😂😂😂😂😂...

tredigs
07-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Lost their best player and picked up a guy that will prolly end up on the Wolves...but dreaming is fun lmao

Funny choice of words tho, hilariously overrated and damaged is exactly how I would describe the splash bros in the playoffs last year :laugh2:

Hilariously underrated and yourself a complete fool is a more apt description.

You're talking about the tandem that had a VERY good chance to win the Finals despite every injury in the world, up to and including breaking them up. Don't be obtuse junior.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Wrong West has only one speed. In no story ever, Westbrook is the robin. He's a force of nature, at times nature is calm, then at other times, a hurricane is on top of you.

And that 1 speed/approach has gotten him a whole bunch of nothing. Well thatís not true itís made him millions and props to him for that. But when it comes to the game itself... big fat zero. These guys just donít get it. Yes they make sacrifices for themselves and their ďgreatnessĒ but true greatness is making sacrifices for the betterment of those around you.

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:56 PM
I like the pickup. Remember Russ was injured early on, so it messed up his season. If he is able to get a full offseason of training, heís going to be a terror. If he just focuses more on getting assists and stops taking 3ís, heís going to be very helpful. And I think his game allows Harden to do what he does on a more continuous basis. Plus I think heís coming with a chip on his shoulder, hearing all the talk and heíll want to prove people wrong by playing the right way. CP3 aged and was never going to do what you needed. With Russell you at least have a top 5 athlete in the nba and he can literally do whatever he wants on the court. You just have to make him want to do the right things.

I think with a more complete team around him than heís had in the last few years, heíll be motivated to want to do the right things. Also I think heís proven what he can do alone and I agree that he will have a chip on his shoulder to want to win and prove everyone wrong.

TrueFan420
07-11-2019, 11:56 PM
Weíll see. I really love the pairing because of their familiarity. these guys have played together before and have had success. Iím sure at this point in both their careers they want to win. Iím not sure ego will be an issue. Their skill sets really compliment one another offensively.

WB wonít have to do nearly as much and can even be staggered so that when one of Harden or Gordon arenít on the floor he will be. This team will be a lot of fun to watch. Iím super happy Paul is gone. At least WB isnít washed.
Time will tell. Iím def interested in seeing how it plays out.

smith&wesson
07-11-2019, 11:59 PM
Time will tell. Iím def interested in seeing how it plays out.

Trust me just the fact that we wonít have to pay a 37 year old Paul 40 + million is a huge win. And WB opens up Houstonís window because heís younger. Itís all positives when you consider what the Rockets really gave up in that Paul is among the worst contracts, if not the worst contract in the entire league.

TrueFan420
07-12-2019, 12:00 AM

Eh they were going to be hard pressed to move CP3. Panic, maybe but I think itís more a calculated risk. As is they werenít going to win. As unlikely as it is for everything to go right, if it does they could potentially win. Letís see what else they do.

Driven
07-12-2019, 12:01 AM
Yo Rocket fans... how you feeling about this?

I donít like Westbrookís game. Itís not a fit on paper. But they got rid of Chris Paulís awful contract, for another awful contract, but they get a top 10ish player in return. I think itís a move that they had to make. They were the fourth best team at best in the west. Donít know if this helps or not, but they added talent and even added youth at the end of the day.

Iíd rather pay Westbrook for four years than Paul for three.

Harden now has someone that can play isoball next to him. Unfortunately he canít hit threes. I think the rockets lineup overall gets better with Gordon going back to the sixth man role.

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 12:04 AM
😂😂😂😂😂😂...

Bunch of keyboard warriors on here 😂😂😂

TrueFan420
07-12-2019, 12:04 AM
Trust me just the fact that we wonít have to pay a 37 year old Paul 40 + million is a huge win. And WB opens up Houstonís window because heís younger. Itís all positives when you consider what the Rockets really gave up in that Paul is among the worst contracts, if not the worst contract in the entire league.

There are definitely positives to be found but itís not all good. Like I said time will tell. It will be an interesting watch.

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 12:10 AM
There are definitely positives to be found but itís not all good. Like I said time will tell. It will be an interesting watch.

I was speaking particularly about Paulís contract. I know WB makes similar money, but heís younger and in his prime. Imagine having to pay Paul $44 million in 2022

TrueFan420
07-12-2019, 12:11 AM
I was speaking particularly about Paulís contract. I know WB makes similar money, but heís younger and in his prime. Imagine having to pay Paul $44 million in 2022

No doubt. I agree the 4th year of Westy is def better than the last of CP3.

mike_noodles
07-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Oklahoma's got some serious picks from 24-26. Wow.

IKnowHoops
07-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Not at all. In fact Iím happy as hell were out of Paulís contract. That old man has no business making that kind of money. The picks given up arenít going to be good picks and both Harden and WB are locked up on their prime. It was a great move.

I thought Clips vs Lakers was going to be a big rivalry, but Clips vs Rockets is probably just as big. This has been one amazing offseason.

Christmas game now should be

Rockets vs Clippers
Lakers vs Warriors
76ers vs Bucks
Nuggets vs Blazers
Celtics vs Raptors

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 12:19 AM
I thought Clips vs Lakers was going to be a big rivalry, but Clips vs Rockets is probably just as big. This has been one amazing offseason.

Rockets vs Clippers
Lakers vs Warriors
76ers vs Bucks
Nuggets vs Blazers
Celtics vs Raptors

Unbelievably parity. I love it. Might have to pay for cable this year instead of streaming lol

tredigs
07-12-2019, 12:26 AM
I had not even taken into account all these picks and pick swaps. Dear God the Rockets got BENT.

Hosed. Absolutely ****ing hosed. One of the worst deals I have seen in years. They better hope they win it all this year. All in or bust it is.

IKnowHoops
07-12-2019, 12:31 AM

Rockets vs Clippers
Lakers vs Warriors
76ers vs Bucks
Nuggets vs Blazers
Celtics vs Raptors

Actually...

Celtics vs Nets

IKnowHoops
07-12-2019, 12:32 AM
Unbelievably parity. I love it. Might have to pay for cable this year instead of streaming lol

Hahaha right

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 01:06 AM
I had not even taken into account all these picks and pick swaps. Dear God the Rockets got BENT.

Hosed. Absolutely ****ing hosed. One of the worst deals I have seen in years. They better hope they win it all this year. All in or bust it is.

Both Harden and WB are signed through 2023, what do you think those draft picks are going to look like ? Late 20-30 ??

More-Than-Most
07-12-2019, 01:10 AM

Rockets vs Clippers
Lakers vs Warriors
76ers vs Bucks
Nuggets vs Blazers
Celtics vs Raptors

Why would you spread out lakers vs clippers when rockets/warriors is what people want to see

Rockets/Warriors
Lakers/Clippers
Celtics/Sixers
Bucks/Raptors
Nuggets/Blazers

numba1CHANGsta
07-12-2019, 01:14 AM
https://youtu.be/Ycai9X8jraI

Canít believe this was just a year ago lmao pure comedy!

cmellofan15
07-12-2019, 01:16 AM
Both Harden and WB are signed through 2023, what do you think those draft picks are going to look like ? Late 20-30 ??

His team got dismantled and possibly pushed out of playoff contention by a one hit wonder Canadian team. Just let him have this out of the kindness of your heart.

rhino17
07-12-2019, 01:22 AM

How did they get hosed? They have had what? 3-4 losing record in 30 years. Those picks are late rounders. Who cares?

mightybosstone
07-12-2019, 01:33 AM
How did they get hosed? They have had what? 3-4 losing record in 30 years. Those picks are late rounders. Who cares?

Yeah, I honestly couldn't care less about those picks. Two of them are just pick swaps, the first of which (2021) is probably going to be pointless. It's possible they'll be regretting this in 5-6 seasons, but I kind of doubt it given Morey's track record. The franchise hasn't had a losing record since he came on board despite those three seasons between T-Mac/Yao and Harden, and he usually ends up trading those mid-late 1st-rounders anyway.

Shiroiroakuma
07-12-2019, 01:42 AM
Men that trade is putting two different monster in a team but you think it fits well?

Let's see at https://dausel.co/AIE4zI

Mr. Triple double and the beard? Hmmmm exciting!!!

Saddletramp
07-12-2019, 02:10 AM
Initial reaction: God damn it.

Let me get to reading through this.. .

Iron24th
07-12-2019, 02:17 AM
Westbrook is perfect for the Rockets offense.

Post of the night :laugh:

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 02:18 AM
Post of the night :laugh:

In dantoniís system ? He isnít wrong

More-Than-Most
07-12-2019, 02:21 AM
What tre doesnt understand it seems... THIS MAKES THE ROCKETS BETTER PERIOD.... This was the only chance they really had to get better. CP3 is washed.

Saddletramp
07-12-2019, 02:35 AM
**** it. Weíll see. Didnít think Morey would pull that trigger but nothing else planned out. Hereís hoping.

What tre doesnt understand it seems... THIS MAKES THE ROCKETS BETTER PERIOD.... This was the only chance they really had to get better. CP3 is washed.

Heís just a fool trolling like he usually does. Harden/Westbrook could work out fantastically well....or be a train wreck. I think the Rockets with Paul peeked. Sucks because they were going to beat the Warriors last year before he got hurt. That woulda shut him up for a bit.

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 02:57 AM
HAhaha. I guess I like the Rockets more than I did yesterday. Paul can kick rocks

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 02:58 AM
HAhaha Heat fans thought theyíd improve this year with at least Westbrook. Now I wonder if theyíll get anyone to go along with ďJimmyĒ

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 02:59 AM
Both ball hogs playing under DíAntoni equals disaster

Dantoni is like a desperate poker player with 10 times the blinds. Heís almost out but he still has some equity to go all in. Better do it now before itís too late

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 03:05 AM

:clap:

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 03:07 AM

Agreed haha. Itís still funny though

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 03:07 AM

:oldguy:

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 03:15 AM

:laugh2:

kobe4thewinbang
07-12-2019, 03:20 AM
Can't wait to see Harden's face when Westbrook tries to win the game instead of him.
Who knows, maybe it'll work out. We all know Harden-ISO is not winning any championships.
Guess there was some level of truth to the rift rumors, after all. OKC reunion time!
OKC gets a less worse, shorter contract than Westbrook. Rockets get an upgrade, by far.
Chris Paul can do a lot for your team, but Westbrook will be able to help when Harden's shot is off.

kobe4thewinbang
07-12-2019, 03:22 AM
What tre doesnt understand it seems... THIS MAKES THE ROCKETS BETTER PERIOD.... This was the only chance they really had to get better. CP3 is washed.Yeah, I couldn't believe it when they re-signed him and honestly never 100% backed the acquisition because he and Harden don't mix well. CP3 is also never healthy or much of a scorer.

Tg11
07-12-2019, 03:51 AM
Love Russ and James being reunited

COOLbeans
07-12-2019, 03:56 AM
Why would you spread out lakers vs clippers when rockets/warriors is what people want to see

Rockets/Warriors
Lakers/Clippers
Celtics/Sixers
Bucks/Raptors
Nuggets/Blazers

Agreed! :clap:

Iron24th
07-12-2019, 05:39 AM
In dantoniís system ? He isnít wrong

Westbrook has his own system, d'antoni's system will have nothing to do with what he will do on the court with his decision making.

JAZZNC
07-12-2019, 05:42 AM

Sources close to the situation are telling me it's actually not smoke but hot air.

R. Johnson#3
07-12-2019, 07:23 AM
Pull up with the hands.

3:00pm at the flagpole!

R. Johnson#3
07-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Sources close to the situation are telling me it's actually not smoke but hot air.

Whatever you do, donít breathe it in. Sources say it makes you delusional.

IKnowHoops
07-12-2019, 07:30 AM

Rockets/Warriors
Lakers/Clippers
Celtics/Sixers
Bucks/Raptors
Nuggets/Blazers

Rockets/Warriors
Lakers/Clippers
Bucks/Sixers
Celtics/Nets
Nuggets/Blazers

It is then...Good point

But I think we also want to see Embiid/Simmons vs Greek Freak as well.

Also Kyrie vs his old team in the Celtics

cheetos185
07-12-2019, 07:54 AM
In westbrook defense he has never played with a offensive minded coach like dantoni.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 09:40 AM
HAhaha Heat fans thought theyíd improve this year with at least Westbrook. Now I wonder if theyíll get anyone to go along with ďJimmyĒ

Just wait on it.

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Sources have told me the Jazz will never win and the raptors are done after 1. Sources also indicate neither franchise will ever be comparable to a franchise much greater to them such as the Miami Heat.

Rivera
07-12-2019, 10:08 AM
I think Morey loves STARS more than he loves analytics!

Rivera
07-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Still trying to recover from this--it's probably going to take a few weeks. I recognize that Westbrook's ability to penetrate and run in transition makes him a good fit in D'Antoni's offense, and I do like elements of his game. The dude is legitimately talented, certainly moreso than Paul at this point in his career.

I just really, really don't like the guy and really haven't liked him for the better part of a decade. It's not quite the equivalent of if the Rockets had traded for Karl Malone in the 90s, but it's damn close. And I really, really like Paul and always have. They basically traded a veteran player I've loved and enjoyed watching play for 10+ years for a guy whose game and general attitude I've loathed for 10+ years.

I've talked more **** about Westbrook than almost any other player in the NBA since I came to PSD. The idea of him wearing a Rockets jersey makes me legitimately a little icky. At the same time... maybe it'll work out? Maybe Paul will continue to decline and Westbrook could capture the magic he had prior to his decline last season, and the Rockets will somehow be better?

I dunno... My head is still spinning, and it's going to take a while before I can truly stomach this. Morey could do me a huge favor by adding another 3 and D wing to make me feel better, but maybe that's wishful thinking...

:laugh: :love:

love the genuine reaction, fit wise, im not as worried as most. RWB/Harden are still boys from what I know, they will figure it out if they want it to work and focus on a championship. As crazy as it sounds, RWB is not as hard headed as CP3. Because of CP3s decline, the Rockets got better. Plus the way how the Rockets play, its not like the other players need to touch the ball, they barely touch the ball as it is, so the role players will be fine and get used to it.

RWB also has been learning to deffer. Part of the reason OKC was a threat before the PG13 injury was because RWB was letting PG13 close, he actually let PG13 be the man of the offense and the #1 option and OKC was better for it until the PG13 injury. RWB is an awesome teammate, his teammates who have stuck by him LOVE him and rave about him. RWB and PJ Tucker are a perfect fit for each other. Both are very intense and passionate. RWB will make Capella tougher, because as Kanter or Adams (I dont remember which, maybe it was both) mentioned how RWB didnt allow them to talk to the other team during the games.

RWB is one of those guys, if hes on your team, you are going to love him, if hes not on your team you are going to hate him. Hes going to play every day, hes going to play hard every play, hes going to leave it all on the court from game 1 to game 82.

I dont think this improves the Rockets, as I had them projected anywhere from 2-4 and I dont think that will change. Maybe RWB give Harden a back bone in the playoffs and toughens him up for the playoffs

NBA all the way
07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
If OKC holds onto Paul, it's actually a good narrative. Gets to go back to where he started his career.

R. Johnson#3
07-12-2019, 11:57 AM
Sources have told me the Jazz will never win and the raptors are done after 1. Sources also indicate neither franchise will ever be comparable to a franchise much greater to them such as the Miami Heat.

Sources say thereís a high level of salt in this post.

R. Johnson#3
07-12-2019, 11:59 AM
On the actual deal though, I have a feeling it might be crazy enough to work. I think the beef between CP3 and Harden was real. If Russ just stopped stat padding and shooting 3ís he could be a weapon.

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 12:16 PM
Sources say thereís a high level of salt in this post.

No reason to be salty towards a raptors or Jazz fan

Scoots
07-12-2019, 12:19 PM
I get that Harden wanted to play with Westbrook, but he's never played with THIS Westbrook, and while Westbrook learned to have somewhat better shot selection does anybody believe that will last under D'Antoni?

Also, Harden and Westbrook are the two worst off-ball players in the NBA for just standing and watching, I'll have to see it to believe it if D'Antoni can actually get them moving (on offense and defense).

Will there be any stats left for the other 13 guys on that roster?

That said, it will be interesting to watch.

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 12:59 PM
I get that Harden wanted to play with Westbrook, but he's never played with THIS Westbrook, and while Westbrook learned to have somewhat better shot selection does anybody believe that will last under D'Antoni?

Also, Harden and Westbrook are the two worst off-ball players in the NBA for just standing and watching, I'll have to see it to believe it if D'Antoni can actually get them moving (on offense and defense).

Will there be any stats left for the other 13 guys on that roster?

That said, it will be interesting to watch.

Theyíve both averaged over 10 assist per game. I donít think sharing the rock will be an issue. The idea is for one of Harden or WB to be on the floor at all times. If you watched Rockets games, what would stand out to you game in and game out is how the Rockets would blow leads every time Harden sat. That wonít be the case as one of them will always be on the floor now.

Also you have to look at their skill sets and how they play. WB is explosive at getting to the rim, Harden dominates the perimeter. Together in the back court they will have a lethal inside and out game thatíll be really hard to stop.

Tucker/Capela/Gordon play off the ball really well so their supporting cast suits their style of play as well.

I think Harden and WB will be the scariest back court in the game and with a well rounded supporting cast I think they put themselves right back in the mix with the top teams

YAALREADYKNO
07-12-2019, 01:10 PM
I thought Melo was tough to play with and Cp3 was easy to play with? 🤣

MygirlhatesCod
07-12-2019, 02:10 PM
All Houston needs now is KD.

Scoots
07-12-2019, 02:29 PM
Theyíve both averaged over 10 assist per game. I donít think sharing the rock will be an issue. The idea is for one of Harden or WB to be on the floor at all times. If you watched Rockets games, what would stand out to you game in and game out is how the Rockets would blow leads every time Harden sat. That wonít be the case as one of them will always be on the floor now.

Also you have to look at their skill sets and how they play. WB is explosive at getting to the rim, Harden dominates the perimeter. Together in the back court they will have a lethal inside and out game thatíll be really hard to stop.

Tucker/Capela/Gordon play off the ball really well so their supporting cast suits their style of play as well.

I think Harden and WB will be the scariest back court in the game and with a well rounded supporting cast I think they put themselves right back in the mix with the top teams

The WAY they "share" is wildly different. CP3 would primarily dribble to create angles for teammates then get them the ball at the best time and best place for them to score, Westbrook has tended to do everything he could to score and if he gets stopped then pass the ball to a teammate. They both work but they are very different mentalities.

The issue with their teammates is nobody plays their best possession after possession and game after game if they don't get the ball regularly with a chance to do something with it. We'll see how this works out.

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 02:38 PM
The WAY they "share" is wildly different. CP3 would primarily dribble to create angles for teammates then get them the ball at the best time and best place for them to score, Westbrook has tended to do everything he could to score and if he gets stopped then pass the ball to a teammate. They both work but they are very different mentalities.

The issue with their teammates is nobody plays their best possession after possession and game after game if they don't get the ball regularly with a chance to do something with it. We'll see how this works out.

I agree but I also think that WB and PG13 had to do everything on okc because aside from Schroeder there wasnít much fire power there.

If Harden and WB come together as the 1a/b options of the team and play to win I think they do have the right guys around them. Tucker doesnít need the ball and is a catch and shoot guy. Capela only needs to be fed in the block and is their primary big man, so he will def get his touches. Gordon is key, to spacing the floor and to give either WB or Harden time to rest as he can be a play maker too.

It all comes down to egos and coaching. If WB looks at this as an opportunity to win and do it with his boy Harden he has to come in with a team mentality for sure.

smith&wesson
07-12-2019, 02:39 PM
All Houston needs now is KD.

All kd needs is a new leg 😆 sorry I just had to

Chronz
07-12-2019, 03:13 PM
CP3 was the better fit his first year, last year he just looked slower. The offense really changed and it rubbed CP3 the wrong way but we will find out this year if CP3 was held back or if the offense had to evolve by necessity based on CP3's very real decline. Either way, RWB cannot play in last years ISO show, he will not be deferring the way CP3 was. I expect one of Harden/RWB to miss out on redundent stats as well, if both play team ball (meaning Harden getting back to being a better off the ball player and Russ taking advantage of the most space hes ever had, not settling for jumpers). If you believe the reports, Harden didn't like giving up the ball to CP3 because he couldn't even beat his defender, well, Russ is plenty athletic to get that done, hope he gives it up more.

I know people will bring up their playing days in OKC but that was when Harden came off the bench and while we all agree RWB should abuse 2nd units if they stagger correctly, when BOTH guys were on the court, that was the most limited and least efficient Harden was. Im not sold on it being a better fit or if the talent is enough to offset that but I sorta got the feeling people overrated just how well CP3 and Harden fit too. Maybe its more important to value team morale given their close relationship.

Also, CP3 declined last year but RWB has been declining the past 3 years and has been absolutely abysmal in the post season, can Harden and the D'Antoni system rectify all that?

WestCoastSportz
07-12-2019, 03:26 PM
The Thunder just went from a 49 win team to one that will probably find it difficult to win 25. Presti not only traded away their two best players, but their two best assets. All he got for two of the top 10 players in the league are Danilo Gallinari, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and an oft-injured 34 year old Chris Paul. Yes, they have 4 unprotected first round picks, but I don't see the Clippers being a lottery team. The very best the Thunder can hope for is a pick that would 25th and that being optimistic and how many late rounders pan out? One of those picks will be Miami's 2021 unprotected first rounder so that may come in handy. Presti should have sought a third team, that could have used those first rounders, to get better players in return.

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 04:23 PM
CP3 was the better fit his first year, last year he just looked slower. The offense really changed and it rubbed CP3 the wrong way but we will find out this year if CP3 was held back or if the offense had to evolve by necessity based on CP3's very real decline. Either way, RWB cannot play in last years ISO show, he will not be deferring the way CP3 was. I expect one of Harden/RWB to miss out on redundent stats as well, if both play team ball (meaning Harden getting back to being a better off the ball player and Russ taking advantage of the most space hes ever had, not settling for jumpers). If you believe the reports, Harden didn't like giving up the ball to CP3 because he couldn't even beat his defender, well, Russ is plenty athletic to get that done, hope he gives it up more.

I know people will bring up their playing days in OKC but that was when Harden came off the bench and while we all agree RWB should abuse 2nd units if they stagger correctly, when BOTH guys were on the court, that was the most limited and least efficient Harden was. Im not sold on it being a better fit or if the talent is enough to offset that but I sorta got the feeling people overrated just how well CP3 and Harden fit too. Maybe its more important to value team morale given their close relationship.

Also, CP3 declined last year but RWB has been declining the past 3 years and has been absolutely abysmal in the post season, can Harden and the D'Antoni system rectify all that?

Chronz
07-12-2019, 04:44 PM

Wade is actually one of the reasons I said we'd find out for sure this year. Wade was posting 30 PER without Bron when he was healthy too. ALot of that bench fodder residue goes away when you go back to carrying again.

WaDe03
07-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Wade is actually one of the reasons I said we'd find out for sure this year. Wade was posting 30 PER without Bron when he was healthy too. ALot of that bench fodder residue goes away when you go back to carrying again.

Think him and jimmy are a good fit and I like the way the team fits around him and jimmy so Iíd be curious to see. As of right now miami isnít aggressive towards getting him though

bleedprple&gold
07-12-2019, 08:10 PM
This trade doesn't make sense to me. If you're trying to dump salary why would you do this trade? Now you have a contract in CP3 that is even harder to trade and you will have to offload what you got for Westbrook just to dump it.

TrueFan420
07-12-2019, 09:05 PM
This trade doesn't make sense to me. If you're trying to dump salary why would you do this trade? Now you have a contract in CP3 that is even harder to trade and you will have to offload what you got for Westbrook just to dump it.

Itís 1 year shorter and they gained 2 first picks. Who knows what other offers on the table there were but if their doing full rebuild the picks are more important. Even low ones. They may still be able to flip CP3 this year and if not theyíll have a massive expiring in 2 years they can use to gain more assets.

Dade County
07-14-2019, 02:25 PM
Nice video breaking down Westbrook & Cp3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjgP8kVUSS4

Hustla23
07-14-2019, 07:32 PM
Morey has lost his mind.

TheDish87
07-15-2019, 04:03 PM
ive been away but im so confused, i thought Russ was a lock for Miami?

lie this deal way more for OKC, thats gonna be a a fun rebuild to watch along with NOP. Not sure the Rox ended up any better outside of getting a younger, healthier player who appears to be a bad fit

Htownballa1622
07-16-2019, 11:40 AM
I've been away this summer and haven't posted much but here goes my thoughts.

I initially HATED the move. I'm with MBT in that I hated Westbrook and I think his fit next to Harden isn't as clean as with cp3 who could actually shoot.

With that being said, Cp3 def took a step back last year and maybe he wasn't healthy but Russ' energy could be a much needed upgrade. I'm not ready to say it'll work or not but I'm hoping the system and being around more shooting will help Russ' game and he could go to not settling for long dumb 2's. Ultimately I can see the Rockets be anywhere from 1-6 in the West but i'm thinking more likely 2/3 than 4/5.

The picks are meh because they may be late and they're protected 1-4 so if something went HORRIBLE, Rockets aren't giving up those picks. Pick swaps may never be conveyed either if Rockets are a good team picking low in 20s.

Finally, some ppl have really turned into clowns on this forum. :facepalm:

Giannis94
07-16-2019, 03:48 PM
I've been away this summer and haven't posted much but here goes my thoughts.

I initially HATED the move. I'm with MBT in that I hated Westbrook and I think his fit next to Harden isn't as clean as with cp3 who could actually shoot.

With that being said, Cp3 def took a step back last year and maybe he wasn't healthy but Russ' energy could be a much needed upgrade. I'm not ready to say it'll work or not but I'm hoping the system and being around more shooting will help Russ' game and he could go to not settling for long dumb 2's. Ultimately I can see the Rockets be anywhere from 1-6 in the West but i'm thinking more likely 2/3 than 4/5.

The picks are meh because they may be late and they're protected 1-4 so if something went HORRIBLE, Rockets aren't giving up those picks. Pick swaps may never be conveyed either if Rockets are a good team picking low in 20s.

Finally, some ppl have really turned into clowns on this forum. :facepalm:

This forum is full of clowns. You went to what you thought was a five star meal and wound up walking into a circus.

DanG
07-18-2019, 04:37 AM
Seems like a desperation move by Houston.

Westbrook-Harden is a horrible fit. The only way this could work is if Harden plays more off the ball since he can shoot, but no way that's going to happen.

IndyRealist
07-18-2019, 08:53 AM

Westbrook-Harden is a horrible fit. The only way this could work is if Harden plays more off the ball since he can shoot, but no way that's going to happen.

I suspect Westbrook will play off the ball more. This is Harden's team, and players respect that.

mightybosstone
07-18-2019, 10:11 AM

I both agree a little and disagree. I actually do think this move reeked of desperation when the trade first got announced, because it seems like they were a little desperate to move on from Paul and his contract and those picks seemed pretty bad at first glance (in hindsight, less so).

But I also think there's still a pretty solid chance the Rockets are as good or even potentially better than they were last season, because Paul saw a pretty steep drop in production and missed a big chunk of the season. Also, the notion that they can't possibly fit together is just untrue. We've seen it time and time again in the NBA. People said the same thing about Lebron and Wade. They said the same thing when Durant came to Golden State. And they DEFINITELY said the same thing when Paul came to Houston.

Bottom line, if stars want to make it work, they'll make it work and mold their games around the star players around them. You're ignoring that Westbrook has played with Harden, Durant and George and that Harden has played with Durant, Westbrook, Dwight and Paul. They have experience playing with stars of various styles, and there's no reason to believe they can't make it work together in Houston.

Giannis94
07-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Semi-related. I'm just confused why they were trying so hard to get rid of capela. Is capela that bad? I thought capela was a beast.

mightybosstone
07-18-2019, 11:26 AM
Semi-related. I'm just confused why they were trying so hard to get rid of capela. Is capela that bad? I thought capela was a beast.

I don't think they were necessarily trying to get rid of Capela. I think they were trying to get Butler, and the only way to pull that off was likely going to be by moving Capela, so there was a lot of noise around that at the start of free agency.

While I really like Clintóboth as a player and as seemingly just a good dudeóhe was pretty underwhelming in the playoffs and had an exceptionally bad series against Golden State. Like, I won't blame any one player for the Rockets losing that series, but he was practically unplayable at times in that series and was a HUGE reason why they lost.

With that fresh on the front office's minds, I'm sure their thought was "We can move Capela to get Butler and then sign another rim-running center that's 80% as good as Clint for half his salary." That being said, I don't think anyone is devastated that he's staying. And now that the Warriors have broken up, his inability to play against them should be less of an issue this season.

brandt
07-18-2019, 02:29 PM
ive been away but im so confused, i thought Russ was a lock for Miami?

lie this deal way more for OKC, thats gonna be a a fun rebuild to watch along with NOP. Not sure the Rox ended up any better outside of getting a younger, healthier player who appears to be a bad fit
Itís good for OKC if you donít mind waiting at least another 5 years to be competitive again. Itís bad for OKC because now they are stuck with Paul for another 3 years. Heís not worth the max, Westbrook is. People thought Chris Paul was going to be a bad fit too, and they were one game away from the finals. The Rockets were going to suck for a long time if they didnít make this deal, because everyone else was already spoken for. It was their only other option and the fact that anyone actually took on Paulís contract, is unbelievable luck for the Rockets in my opinion!

DanG
07-19-2019, 07:57 AM
I both agree a little and disagree. I actually do think this move reeked of desperation when the trade first got announced, because it seems like they were a little desperate to move on from Paul and his contract and those picks seemed pretty bad at first glance (in hindsight, less so).

But I also think there's still a pretty solid chance the Rockets are as good or even potentially better than they were last season, because Paul saw a pretty steep drop in production and missed a big chunk of the season. Also, the notion that they can't possibly fit together is just untrue. We've seen it time and time again in the NBA. People said the same thing about Lebron and Wade. They said the same thing when Durant came to Golden State. And they DEFINITELY said the same thing when Paul came to Houston.

Bottom line, if stars want to make it work, they'll make it work and mold their games around the star players around them. You're ignoring that Westbrook has played with Harden, Durant and George and that Harden has played with Durant, Westbrook, Dwight and Paul. They have experience playing with stars of various styles, and there's no reason to believe they can't make it work together in Houston.

I get your point, but back when LeBron and Wade played together the NBA did not rely that heavily on the three point shot, even that duo wouldn't have been as effective today.

Also, both Wade and Steph Curry are incredibly unselfish superstars. Wade had to adjust and focused more on being efficient and playing good defense. Steph's ability to play off the ball and shoot the three makes him fit with pretty much everyone, so it was easier for him.

Westbrook has shown none of that. He's a ball-dominant player and last year was very inefficient, plus how good is he defensively at this point?

Harden was a sixth man back when he played with Russ and KD, everything has changed, the game has changed, their egos have changed, both are former MVPs.

Plus, what do we even consider as will they "work" together? To me, they are not a championship level team, probably will win around 50-53 games, and be a second round, if not first round exit.

mightybosstone
07-19-2019, 10:33 AM
I get your point, but back when LeBron and Wade played together the NBA did not rely that heavily on the three point shot, even that duo wouldn't have been as effective today.

Also, both Wade and Steph Curry are incredibly unselfish superstars. Wade had to adjust and focused more on being efficient and playing good defense. Steph's ability to play off the ball and shoot the three makes him fit with pretty much everyone, so it was easier for him.

Westbrook has shown none of that. He's a ball-dominant player and last year was very inefficient, plus how good is he defensively at this point?

Harden was a sixth man back when he played with Russ and KD, everything has changed, the game has changed, their egos have changed, both are former MVPs.

Plus, what do we even consider as will they "work" together? To me, they are not a championship level team, probably will win around 50-53 games, and be a second round, if not first round exit.

It's a fair take, and you could totally be right. I'll admit that, gun to my head, I prefer the roster with Paul over Westbrook on paper. But with Paul's age and injury history and the rumors swirling around the Harden/Paul beef (regardless of how much of it was overblown or not), I understand and can appreciate why Morey made the move.

I'm not going into this season with the expectation of "the Rockets are definitely going to be a better basketball team." This was 100% a gamble by Morey and Fertita, and it could absolutely backfire. But I like the fact that Westbrook has new life and is going to be playing with a chip on his shoulder this season. And I do think his style of play will fit a lot of what D'Antoni likes to do offensively really well and that he'll give the Rockets a dynamic aspect it didn't have last season.

We'll just have to wait and see at this point, but I do think it was a gamble worth taking. And if Westbrook and Harden can just change their games slightly to match each other a little better, that roster absolutely has championship potential.