PDA

View Full Version : Better Defensive Potential?

Rivera
07-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Looking at the 76ers and Clippers, both teams loaded up this off season, especially defensively.

Who has the best defensive potential between these 2 teams? Who will be better in defense by the end of next season?

Feel free to add a team you think is loaded defensively and will cause other teams problems

TheDish87
07-08-2019, 10:10 AM
I wanna lean Sixers bcuz we have the much better rim protection between Embiid and Horford but KL and PG might be the best 2 perimeter defenders in the league.

R. Johnson#3
07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
I give the Sixers the slight edge. Their length is such a huge problem for opposing offences. The Clips are definitely quicker but still have a few liabilities on defence (Zubac, Shamet, Lou) where as every player in an 8 man rotation can play defence on the Sixers. The only real question mark for the Sixers is who guards the point but itís not like itís even a liability. Both JRich and Ennis can guard PGs.

The Sixers will probably be the best defensive team in the league this year.

Rivera
07-08-2019, 11:07 AM
im torn, on one hand, the Clipps are quicker, which should mean, the Clipps have better 3pt defense, on the other hand, Philly has real length, and with Al/Embiid going to be even harder

but lets not say Zubac is a liability on defense. That isnt true. Zubac is a rim protector. hes getting better, he isnt elite, but he isnt a scrub.

Opposing teams took fewer shots at the rim, and from three, while Zubac was in the game, and the Clippers were 7.6 points per 100 possessions better on defense with him on the floor, per Cleaning the Glass. He is generally active on defense and unafraid of getting posterized, so he puts himself in position to block a lot of shots.

As Patrick Beverley put it, ďHe protects the rim. Heís not one of those guys, he doesnít care about getting dunked on, he goes after everything and thatís all we need. Pressure from me and Shai, send them into Zu, Zu cleans it up, rebounds. Good hands, big body, good screens, heís a big piece of what weíre trying to do over here, and we thank the Lakers, we appreciate it.Ē

granted, hes got to get smarter, be in better positions, but with Pat Bev/PG and KL i expect Zub to be in better positions to defend. But hes a good defender thats improving and getting better. He has a chance to be a great defender if he puts in the work by seasons end

warfelg
07-08-2019, 11:33 AM
I lean the Sixers because of being able to bring defense off the bench. No offense to Shamet and Lou Will and Harkless, but Ennis and Scott and O'Quinn. Add in the potential impact of Smith and Thybulle too. I feel like the Clippers defense is going to take a hit when they dip into the bench.

Scoots
07-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Size still matters on defense. Sixers.

YAALREADYKNO
07-08-2019, 01:54 PM
Sixers as an entire team but the clippers have two game changers on defense in Kawhi and George

Iversonfan4life
07-08-2019, 02:50 PM
Overall I would say the Clippers right now. I just love that perimeter defensive trio of Bev, KL, and PG.

Sixers have the potential to significantly better but I have to see Ben Simmons (who has the defensive potential of a KL) play consistently great D not just when the lights are the brightest.

JAZZNC
07-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Looking at the 76ers and Clippers, both teams loaded up this off season, especially defensively.

Who has the best defensive potential between these 2 teams? Who will be better in defense by the end of next season?

Feel free to add a team you think is loaded defensively and will cause other teams problems

I dunno, maybe the team with the the reigning 2x DPOY might get some love????

beasted86
07-08-2019, 07:51 PM
This is a guards league. If you can't defend 25 feet from the basket it doesn't matter if you have prime Mutumbo, and KG in the paint.

Clippers are the better team for this reason. Beverly, PG and Kawhi can all fit over and around screens and Harrell can hedge and recover. If they can add another quick footed shot blocker (Nerlens trade?) they should be the #1 defense.

IndyRealist
07-08-2019, 08:26 PM
I dunno, maybe the team with the the reigning 2x DPOY might get some love????

Bogdanovic is a minus defender. He can body up bigger SFs like Lebron but don't ask him to stay in front of anyone. He might work for a funneling defense, sending guys into Gobert. Mike Conley feels a step slow compared to Rubio on defense. I still think they're a top 4 defense, but best would be pushing it when I think they've downgraded defensively.

R. Johnson#3
07-08-2019, 10:21 PM
This is a guards league. If you can't defend 25 feet from the basket it doesn't matter if you have prime Mutumbo, and KG in the paint.

Highly disagree but also why KG as an example? As much as a give Embiid **** for his attitude and limited offence skill, heís an absolute beast when it comes to rim protection. His presence alone makes players 2nd guess even trying to go inside. Yes itís a shooters league but when shots donít fall you need to go inside. Embiid takes that away.

JAZZNC
07-08-2019, 10:26 PM
If you think Embiid has limited offensive skill I have no idea what to tell ya. I can't stand the guy either but he's tremendously skilled on both sides of the ball.

R. Johnson#3
07-08-2019, 10:35 PM
If you think Embiid has limited offensive skill I have no idea what to tell ya. I can't stand the guy either but he's tremendously skilled on both sides of the ball.

I worded that wrong. He has skill, but doesnít play to it. This is only on the offensive end. I will never call his defence into question.

Alayla
07-08-2019, 10:47 PM
I give the Sixers the slight edge. Their length is such a huge problem for opposing offences. The Clips are definitely quicker but still have a few liabilities on defence (Zubac, Shamet, Lou) where as every player in an 8 man rotation can play defence on the Sixers. The only real question mark for the Sixers is who guards the point but itís not like itís even a liability. Both JRich and Ennis can guard PGs.

The Sixers will probably be the best defensive team in the league this year.

Simmons obviously why is that a question.

R. Johnson#3
07-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Simmons obviously why is that a question.

Because he should be guarding the opposing teams best player.

Romeo Naes
07-08-2019, 11:21 PM
Clippers will have better perimeter defense... That's for certain.