PDA

View Full Version : Where do the Raptors go from here?

Tg11
07-06-2019, 01:25 PM
Y'all essentially lost Kawhi for nothing because not even winning a title was enough for him to stay in Toronto. Y'all offered him the royal treatment and he still left y'all holding the bag by dipping to LA. You guys on top of that lose Danny Green. So where do the Raptors go from here? They go back to being irrelevant.

Chronz
07-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Twas wondering this myself, they could still compete for the loffs if OG makes a leap and Kyle doesn't die. Then next year they're essentially in the same position the Clippers were this year, where they have a core talented enough to play .500(or better) ball, they just need a star. They remind me of the Rockets before they got Harden, they have a few ways they can go.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Unless Siakam turns into an elite level All Star superstar caliber player relatively overnight then the Raptors are not gonna be relevant or go anywhere fast.

zn23
07-06-2019, 01:36 PM
Giannis 2020.

Overall, I'm not that disappointed. I think the Raps are going to be OK. Maybe they wont contend this year. But they'll still be a top 4 team in the East.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 01:40 PM
Giannis 2020.

Overall, I'm not that disappointed. I think the Raps are going to be OK. Maybe they wont contend this year. But they'll still be a top 4 team in the East.

Raptors will be lucky to even be the 8th seed this upcoming season. Giannis won't go to Toronto because Giannis ain't a free agent until 2021 and even then the man is dead set on staying in Milwaukee.

Jamiecballer
07-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Raptors will be lucky to even be the 8th seed this upcoming season. Giannis won't go to Toronto because Giannis ain't a free agent until 2021 and even then the man is dead set on staying in Milwaukee.Your shtick is tired.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

mike_noodles
07-06-2019, 01:55 PM
You canít put all your eggs in the Giannis free agent basket. Look at how that turns out for teams that do that and lose out. Toronto has never landed a free agent of that caliber. There are 29 other teams that would want him. I think you build the same way and hope to strike again when the next disgruntled star wants out, maybe itís Giannis, maybe itís Towns or Tatum or Barrett one day.

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2019, 01:56 PM
Y'all essentially lost Kawhi for nothing because not even winning a title was enough for him to stay in Toronto. Y'all offered him the royal treatment and he still left y'all holding the bag by dipping to LA. You guys on top of that lose Danny Green. So where do the Raptors go from here? They go back to being irrelevant.

Who hurt you?

Tg11
07-06-2019, 02:01 PM
You canít put all your eggs in the Giannis free agent basket. Look at how that turns out for teams that do that and lose out. Toronto has never landed a free agent of that caliber. There are 29 other teams that would want him. I think you build the same way and hope to strike again when the next disgruntled star wants out, maybe itís Giannis, maybe itís Towns or Tatum or Barrett one day.

Best bet for Raptors would be to get a Karl Anthony Towns or someone of that caliber or a Bradley Beal but either way Raptors are done

Ty Fast
07-06-2019, 02:02 PM
They should just pack up shop and go to Seattle

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2019, 02:02 PM
To answer the question though, Masai is going to blow it up and there isn't a doubt in my mind. If not during the off-season then at the TDL. I don't even know if Gasol has picked up his 25 million dollar option (I assume he will) but at this point I hope he does because then he'll be a huge asset at the TDL. Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol will all be expiring deals. Seasoned vets with a ring to their name should almost surely grab a 1st + a player from a contending team. I hope everyone on the team not named Siakam, OG and FVV is up for sale.

NBA all the way
07-06-2019, 02:09 PM
33 year old Lowry $35 million expiring
34 year old Gasol $25 million expiring
30 year old Ibaka $23 million expiring

Raptors are probably good enough to make the playoffs this upcoming season, other than that either trade or let these guys expire.

R. Johnson#3
07-06-2019, 02:14 PM
33 year old Lowry $35 million expiring
34 year old Gasol $25 million expiring
30 year old Ibaka $23 million expiring

Raptors are probably good enough to make the playoffs this upcoming season, other than that either trade or let these guys expire.

Trade em all. They all proved they can be instrumental in a title run but have no chance of doing it without a superstar. Gasol or Ibaka will be a Laker this year. Lowry could fetch a solid young player at the TDL for sure. The Raps can definitely make the playoffs this year but would be a 2nd round exit at best. It'd be way better to speed up the process and get young players, picks or both at the TDL. The Raps are in a great position to accelerate a rebuild.

Heediot
07-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Rent Iggy or Gallo, and let them expire with Kyle, Marc, Serge and Fred.

I`m not a fan of tanking. Especially after a chip. Nets and Clippers rebuilt the right way without losing on purpose and they were rewarded.

1st-2nd round exit in 20 is fine by me. Lot of cap flexibilty moving forward to build around Spicy P and Original Gangsta. You want to maintain a healthy and winning culture.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 02:51 PM
1st round exit

bledrules
07-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Lottery team

Tg11
07-06-2019, 04:00 PM
Raptors may as well be a lottery team

aman_13
07-06-2019, 04:03 PM
Raptors may as well be a lottery team

You sure were quiet around these parts when the Raptors were celebrating.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Raptors won a title so what? You guys lost Kawhi and Danny Green on top of that so you guys go back to being an irrelevant pretender in the East...y'all won't even repeat. To think you all had a chance of re-signing Kawhi had you just did that PG-13 and Westbrook trade but you guys couldn't even do that right because Masai rejected the trade. Only 1 title in like how many decades? While my Celtics we have 17 World titles...17 World Championships...at least free agency we made a move...we got Kemba

aman_13
07-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Raptors won a title so what? You guys lost Kawhi and Danny Green on top of that so you guys go back to being an irrelevant pretender in the East...y'all won't even repeat. To think you all had a chance of re-signing Kawhi had you just did that PG-13 and Westbrook trade but you guys couldn't even do that right because Masai rejected the trade. Only 1 title in like how many decades? While my Celtics we have 17 World titles...17 World Championships...at least free agency we made a move...we got Kemba

Read before you comment on what Masai did or didn't do. Then get back to me.

The Celtics have as much of a chance as the Raptors to win a title lol. When did you jump on the bandwagon? When they added KG and Allen?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mike_noodles
07-06-2019, 04:29 PM
Trade em all. They all proved they can be instrumental in a title run but have no chance of doing it without a superstar. Gasol or Ibaka will be a Laker this year. Lowry could fetch a solid young player at the TDL for sure. The Raps can definitely make the playoffs this year but would be a 2nd round exit at best. It'd be way better to speed up the process and get young players, picks or both at the TDL. The Raps are in a great position to accelerate a rebuild.

Problem is that you donít want to alienate all of the new fans by dealing away fan favourites like Lowry. I agree that you canít piddle away their value if you really want to add assets for a retooling/rebuilding process. But ownership is going to want to capitalize on revenue opportunities. Seems awfully familiar to the Jays situation just a couple of years ago.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Problem is that you donít want to alienate all of the new fans by dealing away fan favourites like Lowry. I agree that you canít piddle away their value if you really want to add assets for a retooling/rebuilding process. But ownership is going to want to capitalize on revenue opportunities. Seems awfully familiar to the Jays situation just a couple of years ago.

Even rebuilding...you create cap space but then no big name marquee free agent wants to go to Toronto that's the thing even if Toronto was to pull a Brooklyn and rebuild

Tg11
07-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Read before you comment on what Masai did or didn't do. Then get back to me.

The Celtics have as much of a chance as the Raptors to win a title lol. When did you jump on the bandwagon? When they added KG and Allen?

Actually been a fan for years now...12 years to be exact ever since 2007

bucketss
07-06-2019, 04:48 PM
OP makes a lot of topics about Toronto despite insisting hes not a fan.

aman_13
07-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Actually been a fan for years now...12 years to be exact ever since 2007So basically when they added KG and Allen lol. Don't give me **** about the Celtics and their history when you only witnessed the same amount as I have.

Tg11
07-06-2019, 05:26 PM
So basically when they added KG and Allen lol. Don't give me **** about the Celtics and their history when you only witnessed the same amount as I have.

Actually no I was a fan before they came in so when they had that losing season back in 07 actually before the Big 3 ever came together like the year before

Eagles4Lyfe
07-06-2019, 05:33 PM
Actually no I was a fan before they came in so when they had that losing season back in 07 actually before the Big 3 ever came together like the year before

You became a fan of a team coincidentally wheb they were ar their lowest point? :laugh: :laugh:

Atleast formulate a better lie.

jericho
07-06-2019, 05:34 PM
They should blow it up and go to rebuild.

smith&wesson
07-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Actually been a fan for years now...12 years to be exact ever since 2007

So you admit to being a band wagon fan. But didnít actually know when the Celtics became relevant again? True Celtics fans would have caught that and you didnít. youíre a fraud

smith&wesson
07-06-2019, 05:56 PM

Youíre exposing yourself as a true hater. I can picture your Elmer Fudd looking mug throwing beer cans at the tv when the raptors won.

Get off the raptors balls youre a flea.

Dade County
07-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Giannis 2020.

No they wont be. Don't even try to give me their record when kawhi didn't play. Its not going to happen.

AllBall
07-06-2019, 07:03 PM
If I'm a Raptors fan, who cares? I mean really, if you could do it all over again, knowing what you know now, I would say go for it. They took Kawhi on a rental, had an amazing run, got their first title. A fan can live off that for the next few years even if they miss the playoffs. Their books are good. The FO and Ownership is solid. A ton of franchises would want that "problem", lol

Vee-Rex
07-06-2019, 07:07 PM
Rebuild.

Raps got their title and it was glorious. Nothing can ever take that away. Rebuild with some young pieces and enjoy watching their growth.

Jamiecballer
07-06-2019, 07:12 PM
We are back where we were 2 years ago. No big deal. Not gonna blow that up.

One Nut Kruk
07-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Youíre exposing yourself as a true hater. I can picture your Elmer Fudd looking mug throwing beer cans at the tv when the raptors won.

Get off the raptors balls youre a flea.

No kidding lol.

ďRaptors won a title so what?Ē. Was this really the beginning of a post made to bash a team? Lol what a tool.

mike_noodles
07-06-2019, 11:24 PM
Even rebuilding...you create cap space but then no big name marquee free agent wants to go to Toronto that's the thing even if Toronto was to pull a Brooklyn and rebuild

Cap space can be used in trades to acquire players or bad contracts and draft picks, itís not just about the big ticket free agents.

mike_noodles
07-06-2019, 11:25 PM
We are back where we were 2 years ago. No big deal. Not gonna blow that up.

Except that everyone is two years older and expiring. Not really the same situation. Decisions will need to be made by the trade deadline at the latest.

R. Johnson#3
07-07-2019, 12:47 PM

I get what you're saying and judging by how things have gone for the Jays I'd say sell sell sell!!! The Jays literally had no young pieces to build around aside from maybe Stroman. Siakam and OG are two players that'll be in the league for a very long time with Siakam almost certainly being an all star. I don't think Masai is going to deal Lowry anytime soon but if the right offer comes around at the TDL he's going to pull the trigger. It'll hurt more than Vince leaving but I'd understand it. Masai has proven to be cut throat and we know he doesn't ever want to be a middling team. I think the first domino to fall will be Ibaka though.

KnickNyKnick
07-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Trade for westbrook and stay atop.

mike_noodles
07-07-2019, 02:02 PM
I get what you're saying and judging by how things have gone for the Jays I'd say sell sell sell!!! The Jays literally had no young pieces to build around aside from maybe Stroman. Siakam and OG are two players that'll be in the league for a very long time with Siakam almost certainly being an all star. I don't think Masai is going to deal Lowry anytime soon but if the right offer comes around at the TDL he's going to pull the trigger. It'll hurt more than Vince leaving but I'd understand it. Masai has proven to be cut throat and we know he doesn't ever want to be a middling team. I think the first domino to fall will be Ibaka though.

I think you could safely remove Gasol and not upset anyone, but if they were to deal Gasol, Ibaka and Lowry before the season even got underway, the casual fan would walk away (if they haven't already).

mike_noodles
07-07-2019, 02:03 PM
Trade for westbrook and stay atop.

People would lose their minds considering we already turned down the George/Westbrook swap that may have kept Kawhi here. There's lots of rumors about how close it actually was, but it sounds like Masai had no interest in bringing WB aboard.

Tg11
07-07-2019, 04:03 PM
If Raptors trade for Westbrook they would have to do what the Clippers did and give up draft picks but also do pick swaps too and Raptors would have to give up at least Siakam, Van Vleet, Ibaka and Powell to land Westbrook. But even doing that is a risk because Lowry and Westbrook both play the 1 unless you shift Westbrook to the 2 and have him play SG. But even then, I am sure OKC would ask for Lowry in that trade.

Jamiecballer
07-07-2019, 07:12 PM
Except that everyone is two years older and expiring. Not really the same situation. Decisions will need to be made by the trade deadline at the latest.Right. But I wouldn't be doing anything at all until then because as of right now you are no worse than you were when demar was here as far as I'm concerned.

R. Johnson#3
07-07-2019, 07:41 PM
I think you could safely remove Gasol and not upset anyone, but if they were to deal Gasol, Ibaka and Lowry before the season even got underway, the casual fan would walk away (if they haven't already).

I agree with what you're saying but I don't expect him to move anyone in the off-season really. With the Warriors now being disassembled teams could get excited as the season goes on. I think 2 of the 3 will be dealt before the TDL.

Tg11
07-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Lowry and Ibaka you get them off the books you create more cap space but which teams would want them? And how are you gonna attract stars to come to Toronto

Ty Fast
07-08-2019, 05:14 PM
If I'm a Raptors fan, who cares? I mean really, if you could do it all over again, knowing what you know now, I would say go for it. They took Kawhi on a rental, had an amazing run, got their first title. A fan can live off that for the next few years even if they miss the playoffs. Their books are good. The FO and Ownership is solid. A ton of franchises would want that "problem", lol

What he said

smith&wesson
07-08-2019, 05:54 PM
Rebuild.

Raps got their title and it was glorious. Nothing can ever take that away. Rebuild with some young pieces and enjoy watching their growth.

Yeah for sure gotta rebuild. I would keep Siakam, FVV, OG. Everyone else can get shipped for young assets and picks if we can get any for the expiring contracts

Tg11
07-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Go for Westbrook or you risk being irrelevant for years to come

R. Johnson#3
07-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Pretty sure thatís what happens if we get him.

Vee-Rex
07-09-2019, 02:24 PM

Do you think the Raps should build a statue for Kawhi?

Rivera
07-09-2019, 03:28 PM
so giannis is barred from making 76er threads but this guy is still allowed to make raptors threads? talk about fairness

and lost KL for nothing? they won a championship! They had 1 year of KL who brought them a chip. If I was a die hard Raps fan, Id be happy about it. The only thing better was if KL resigned, but even if he didnt, he still brought the Raps their first NBA championship

ask the Knicks fans, or Magic fans if they would take a 1 year rental to win a Chip and lose him in FA

I would say yes 100000x

mike_noodles
07-10-2019, 09:34 PM
Right. But I wouldn't be doing anything at all until then because as of right now you are no worse than you were when demar was here as far as I'm concerned.

From that perspective, yes. I think they can still be a 45-50 win team with this squad.