PDA

View Full Version : How bad is an Achilles rupture in the NBA?

beasted86
07-04-2019, 09:24 AM
https://youtu.be/nZXt66b1Huo

Interesting video. 11 minutes long (7 minutes after he finishes sponsor shout outs) and gives a thorough historical account. Does anyone feel Kevin Durant will beat the odds?

I have no confidence whatsoever Durant will not have at minimum a 25% decrease in production. With such a drastic drop off, he would not be worth a max, and would not propel the Nets into the area that many feel they are headed.

Thoughts?

KG2TB
07-04-2019, 09:26 AM
Itís a death sentence. No way I would have given him a max.

JAZZNC
07-04-2019, 11:19 AM
If you're the Nets how can you not give him the max? If he wants to go there and you can sign him why wouldn't you?

Say my team the Jazz have a chance to sign KD under the same circumstances to possibly pair him with Mitchell and Gobert for 3yrs. I do that 100 times out of 100. But that's moreso the situation of the team. Teams like Brooklyn need to make a huge splash when they can and that isn't very often. Thanks had a chance and they jumped on it. I don't blame them one bit.

75% of peak KD is way better than some give credit to. His game will age well. He's 7' he can still just face up and shoot it right in 95% of the leagues face. We aren't talking about a 6'5 shooting guard here and I think that has to be taken into consideration.

beasted86
07-04-2019, 04:32 PM
If you're the Nets how can you not give him the max? If he wants to go there and you can sign him why wouldn't you?

Say my team the Jazz have a chance to sign KD under the same circumstances to possibly pair him with Mitchell and Gobert for 3yrs. I do that 100 times out of 100. But that's moreso the situation of the team. Teams like Brooklyn need to make a huge splash when they can and that isn't very often. Thanks had a chance and they jumped on it. I don't blame them one bit.

75% of peak KD is way better than some give credit to. His game will age well. He's 7' he can still just face up and shoot it right in 95% of the leagues face. We aren't talking about a 6'5 shooting guard here and I think that has to be taken into consideration.

I think you're thinking of it only in the aspect of 75% less points per game and rebounds maybe, but little to no drop in efficiency.

If you watch the video it paints how expansive the drop off has been regardless of age. Also impacting the shooting as well.

Saddletramp
07-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Because of the injury, if I was KD I would stay in GS assuming everyone is offering the max (and he doesnít hate Green/Kerr/the medical staff). I personally think heís an idiot for not staying but appreciate the balls on him for leaving and actually taking the hard road.

likemystylez
07-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Because of the injury, if I was KD I would stay in GS assuming everyone is offering the max (and he doesnít hate Green/Kerr/the medical staff). I personally think heís an idiot for not staying but appreciate the balls on him for leaving and actually taking the hard road.

I might be the only warriors fan who was hesitant to sign him to a 5 yr deal. I know they sort of had to offer it to him or it would look really bad.... I'm also disappointed that this had to happen, but seeing as he will be 32 yrs old when he comes back, and probably 33 before he completely recovered from the injury itself...... even if he gets to 75 or 80% (Which is kind of a best case scenario).... he will probably be getting 10-15% worse every yr after 33.

Im not thrilled about russell, and im not sure what he could be flipped for..... but something tells me that in 2 yrs..... warriors will look back at this as the best case scenario given the injuries that took place.

ewing
07-04-2019, 08:52 PM

Plus Part of the drop will be bc he is not 100% or close to as often. Hopefully you can manage his health and have him as close to peak as possible post season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tredigs
07-04-2019, 11:36 PM
I already wanted him out simply because he was a hanger-on of a dynasty and way too full of himself in joining a dominant franchise he had no hand in, but obviously it's a blessing to not re-sign a gimp at the max. That said, I love the dudes game and hope they make an ECF in 2022 and don't embarrass themselves too bad.

Saddletramp
07-04-2019, 11:54 PM
I might be the only warriors fan who was hesitant to sign him to a 5 yr deal. I know they sort of had to offer it to him or it would look really bad.... I'm also disappointed that this had to happen, but seeing as he will be 32 yrs old when he comes back, and probably 33 before he completely recovered from the injury itself...... even if he gets to 75 or 80% (Which is kind of a best case scenario).... he will probably be getting 10-15% worse every yr after 33.

Im not thrilled about russell, and im not sure what he could be flipped for..... but something tells me that in 2 yrs..... warriors will look back at this as the best case scenario given the injuries that took place.

It might work out for them (probably will) but even at 75%, Durant is worth it especially if the alternative is another guard who might get someone.

Saddletramp
07-04-2019, 11:56 PM
I already wanted him out simply because he was a hanger-on of a dynasty and way too full of himself in joining a dominant franchise he had no hand in, but obviously it's a blessing to not re-sign a gimp at the max. That said, I love the dudes game and hope they make an ECF in 2022 and don't embarrass themselves too bad.

Oh, the irony. And you didnít even join it.

jericho
07-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Yeah we all know KD is 7' and can shoot over anybody. But what a lot of people are forgetting is that the drop off that KD is going to be getting is in his athletic ability. Which in turn it's going to make it easier for people to guard him because he won't be able to take a lot of people off the dribble and that is a big part of his game. And it will also affect him on the defensive side as well.

The question here is do you guys think that he will be able to adjust his game to still be a efficient. The only way I can see KD still be a top player in this league after he comes back would be if he switch to PF and played more like Dirk

Hawkeye15
07-05-2019, 11:03 AM
https://youtu.be/nZXt66b1Huo

Interesting video. 11 minutes long (7 minutes after he finishes sponsor shout outs) and gives a thorough historical account. Does anyone feel Kevin Durant will beat the odds?

I have no confidence whatsoever Durant will not have at minimum a 25% decrease in production. With such a drastic drop off, he would not be worth a max, and would not propel the Nets into the area that many feel they are headed.

Thoughts?

Yeah, at KDs age and miles, I am virtually positive we will never see the same player again. He will still be an all NBA player for a few years (startijg1in 20-21'), but I would expect a 80% version of what we know movijg forward.

Hawkeye15
07-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Oh for sure dude, 80% KD is still a top 15 player. BKL had to do it.