Richardson
Tobias
Horford
Embiid

That's the best team in the East. Happy for you MTM

i ****ing love the defense man... omg.

bleedprple&gold
06-30-2019, 09:14 PM
How can they afford to pay Horford that after the Harris deal and Butler s&t?

Lakers + Giants
06-30-2019, 09:16 PM

Favorites to win it all imo, as if right now.

We need Kawhi.

Clips should be out. Nobody to team KL with now.

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 09:16 PM

with butler gone we have the money plus the harris signing is being held back until after we fill out our roster... meaning if we wanted we could have still had 39 million after the harris signing by letting butler walk... even with harris/scott/horford/richardson signings we have money left to even go for a PB i believe.

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 09:17 PM
the horford deal is actually 97 million over 4 years but can jump to 109 if he hits bonuses tied to championships.

ZH721
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM

Horford is such a beautiful fit next to Embiid. Maybe Embiid will actually stay in the paint.

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 09:18 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski

Verified account

@wojespn
Follow Follow @wojespn
More Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski
The Horford contract has $97M guaranteed and $12M in bonuses tied to championships, league sources tell ESPN.

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 09:20 PM

I read earlier riding themselves of Butler gave them tons of cap. Maybe renounce Boban or something, idk for sure.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 09:21 PM
I feel like I was stabbed in the chest. 76ers fans on PSD are cool but their twitter fans are probably the most annoying fanbase in the NBA I find. To have a player I love go there kills me :(

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 09:26 PM
I feel like I was stabbed in the chest. 76ers fans on PSD are cool but their twitter fans are probably the most annoying fanbase in the NBA I find. To have a player I love go there kills me :(

reddit fans are so much worse man... they really are. Its the only reason i dont have a reddit account... sixers reddit is *** biscuits because of our fans.

lakerfan85
06-30-2019, 09:27 PM

Yep.. That D is going to be nasty..

Bostonjorge
06-30-2019, 09:28 PM
Butler was a hot dog. Horford brings real leadership.

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Favorites to win it all imo, as if right now.

We need Kawhi.

Clips should be out. Nobody to team KL with now.

Yep.. That D is going to be nasty..

we helped you guys out.... kept butler away from clippers lol

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Horford is such an awesome fit there. He can play with Embiid/Simmons but he can also back them up - Embiid in terms of actual position and Simmons in terms of playmaking duties.

Bostonjorge
06-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Horford is a great passer and can find Simmons and Embiid in the paint. Horford helps Simmons become a scoring guard and keeps the ball moving on offense.

bleedprple&gold
06-30-2019, 09:39 PM
I read earlier riding themselves of Butler gave them tons of cap. Maybe renounce Boban or something, idk for sure.

The problem is the Heat are over the cap so they have to send out significant salary in order to sign Butler. So a third team has to get involved to take back salary from the Heat since Philly can't if they are using the freed up cap to sign Horford. Amazing how they can agree to these deals without knowing if any team would even be willing take back that extra salary.

ZH721
06-30-2019, 09:39 PM
If Simmons can develop any resemblance of a jump shot (making teams at least somewhat cover him outside), this Sixers team should have a real shot at the championship.

If he fails to do so, I don’t see any reason why we should take them seriously, even with Horford. It’s going to be the same story every year like we used to see with the Raptors, unless Simmons learns to shoot at least somewhat.

CasperX22
06-30-2019, 09:40 PM
A player like Horford has been needed for a couple years. Potentially the best starting 5 in the East and now it should be a lot easier to play out Embiid's minutes being able to stagger Horford and Embiid in the middle of games. Would be nice to add a shooter or 2 of the bench now, but Jimmy signing in Miami might actually be a blessing in disguise leading to this move.

R. Johnson#3
06-30-2019, 09:44 PM
Always been a big fan of Horford. Huge pickup for the Sixers.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 09:45 PM
I do think people are getting a little carried away. We need to remember how great Phillys starting 5 was last year. They lost Butler and Reddick for Horford and J-Rich.

I like the defensive upgrade there because both the new guys are elite defenders. However, I think they do downgrade with Harris at the 3 more and as good as J-Rich and Horford are one of them is wiped out on that end by losing Jimmy.

CasperX22
06-30-2019, 09:53 PM
I do think people are getting a little carried away. We need to remember how great Phillys starting 5 was last year. They lost Butler and Reddick for Horford and J-Rich.

I like the defensive upgrade there because both the new guys are elite defenders. However, I think they do downgrade with Harris at the 3 more and as good as J-Rich and Horford are one of them is wiped out on that end by losing Jimmy.

Obviously the reason to get excited is because the fit on paper at least looks better for the Sixers. The ball needs to be in Ben's hands when he is on the floor. Defensively the Sixers will be much better. Will certainly miss JJ though. He was a good soldier and good for the Sixers.

Bostonjorge
06-30-2019, 09:54 PM
Butler has some big moments but he was a black hole. He wanted to be the #1 option so bad. Horford will let Embiid and Simmons work and always finds the open man. Horford knows his role and plays it 100%. He makes the right play every time. He’s been leading Boston this way since Thomas and Crowder.

CasperX22
06-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Butler has some big moments but he was a black hole. He wanted to be the #1 option so bad. Horford will let Embiid and Simmons work and always finds the open man. Horford knows his role and plays it 100%. He makes the right play every time. He’s been leading Boston this way since Thomas and Crowder.

Yep. Love it.

IndyRealist
06-30-2019, 10:44 PM

I don't think Butler was ever a good fit in Philly. Seemed like there was kind of a "take turns" mentality like you saw in 2011 Miami. Horford and Rich are more team players and space the floor so Simmons doesn't have to. I like it all around. Does it push them over a Kawhi-led Toronto? I dunno.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 10:58 PM
I don't think Butler was ever a good fit in Philly. Seemed like there was kind of a "take turns" mentality like you saw in 2011 Miami. Horford and Rich are more team players and space the floor so Simmons doesn't have to. I like it all around. Does it push them over a Kawhi-led Toronto? I dunno.

Yeah I like it from a roster fit overall. I was talking defense. Butler is a stud on that end so honestly him and J-Rich is a lateral move. And while Horford is a stud defender, his presence will push Harris to the 3 more where I don’t think he’s as good defensively. So I think some people in here have overrated a little bit with how gawdy the defense will be. Yes they’re adding 2 stud defenders but they had to move on from one and now they have their weak link playing a weaker position. Just takes away some of the shine based on the initial reactions in this thread. Awesome move for PHI still - not debating that.

ewing
06-30-2019, 11:07 PM

Jimmy is a bit of a ball stopper but I don’t think Harris spaces the floor any better. Both are good not great shooters and when it matters I actually leave Harris first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kobe1016
06-30-2019, 11:31 PM
I don't like the idea of giving a 33 year old 4/109M. Definitely overpaid for Horford.

IKnowHoops
06-30-2019, 11:46 PM
Could they of kept Jimmy and shipped out Tobias instead?

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 12:17 AM
I don't like the idea of giving a 33 year old 4/109M. Definitely overpaid for Horford.

its 4-97

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 12:17 AM

yup but then they would be ****ed because of the age of both horford and butler... id rather have harris and butler or harris and horford over butler and horford.

R. Johnson#3
07-01-2019, 12:28 AM
yup but then they would be ****ed because of the age of both horford and butler... id rather have harris and butler or harris and horford over butler and horford.

Forget about age. The best possible combo you can have is Butler and Horford. The Sixers look good but they won’t be better than they were with Jimmy. The playoffs showed that Embiid still has a ton of growing up to do. Having Jimmy around would’ve benefitted him tremendously. It’s clearly the Joel Embiid show now and he’s nowhere near ready to take a team to the promised land. I think 100% Jimmy over Tobias would’ve had the Sixers as HEAVY title favourite next year.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 12:44 AM
Forget about age. The best possible combo you can have is Butler and Horford. The Sixers look good but they won’t be better than they were with Jimmy. The playoffs showed that Embiid still has a ton of growing up to do. Having Jimmy around would’ve benefitted him tremendously. It’s clearly the Joel Embiid show now and he’s nowhere near ready to take a team to the promised land. I think 100% Jimmy over Tobias would’ve had the Sixers as HEAVY title favourite next year.

horford was a needed piece for a few reasons... one and this is the biggest is so when joel sits we can slide horford over at center... last year that killed us when joel would sit... this year not so much... also now joel gets to practice against horford and learn from him something he couldnt do with jimmy... Jimmy/horford combo doesnt work because its not anywhere near as natural as harris/horford... jimmy needs the ball as does ben and because of these 2 harris wasnt used as well like he should have been... we will now use harris much much better and the defense is now so much better its insane... we were playing 4-5 on defense because of how awful JJ was.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 12:46 AM
as far as us over paying for harris/horford... we had no choice... we could have thrown 300 mill at them and it wouldnt have hurt us going forward because we need to lock down ben before next season which we will do which will leave us with no cap space so it was best to get the players now even if its an overpay.... philly had to act this off season or be stuck just relying on ben/joel

R. Johnson#3
07-01-2019, 01:30 AM
horford was a needed piece for a few reasons... one and this is the biggest is so when joel sits we can slide horford over at center... last year that killed us when joel would sit... this year not so much... also now joel gets to practice against horford and learn from him something he couldnt do with jimmy... Jimmy/horford combo doesnt work because its not anywhere near as natural as harris/horford... jimmy needs the ball as does ben and because of these 2 harris wasnt used as well like he should have been... we will now use harris much much better and the defense is now so much better its insane... we were playing 4-5 on defense because of how awful JJ was.

I think the Horford signing is great. I'm not disputing that in any way whatsoever as I'm a huge fan of his game. You're ******** yourself if you're telling me Tobias/Horford is better than Jimmy/Horford though. Yes, Jimmy was another mouth to feed but he was also the only guy who could create a shot for himself. Defensively it's not even worth talking about. Tobias is going to have to be a hell of a lot more reliable with his 3 ball this coming season. He was capable of having bad games and it being covered up but he's going to have to produce at a consistent level this year.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 02:08 AM
I think the Horford signing is great. I'm not disputing that in any way whatsoever as I'm a huge fan of his game. You're ******** yourself if you're telling me Tobias/Horford is better than Jimmy/Horford though. Yes, Jimmy was another mouth to feed but he was also the only guy who could create a shot for himself. Defensively it's not even worth talking about. Tobias is going to have to be a hell of a lot more reliable with his 3 ball this coming season. He was capable of having bad games and it being covered up but he's going to have to produce at a consistent level this year.

no doubt but that was the issue... harris wasnt being used properly because of ben and butler. Our offense will be much more natural now and that is huge... also to me richardson/harris/horford-------------------------------------------------->butler/JJ/Harris.... Horford/Richardson defense alone is scary good and I prayed we would let JJ walk this year because he should be a 6 man and not a starter and it killed us because of his defense.

warfelg
07-01-2019, 07:57 AM
I like the potential leadership of Horford over Butler to be honest. He's somewhat of a blend of Simmons assets and Embiid's assets. I think he's going to be a better gelling guy for Embiid and Simmons. He seems like he's more "Come over here and sit down" to his leadership as opposed to Butler who was more "@&#^ #$(&@ $(#$#*@# #@$#$ (*&@".

I like that the 4th years sounds like it's an option year as opposed to guaranteed and he has $12mil in incentives tied to championships.

Some of the 'underrated' aspects to this move is we might be able to rest Horford some nights because of Embiid, dependent on how we use the BAE and how we fill out with minimum contracts. The very 'luxury' part of this is that we can rest Embiid and feel confident in who we put at the 5 during those games. I think part of the issue with the 2018-19 version was we had no great non-Embiid go to lineup, se we had to get everything we could out of him and he was just shot by the Raptors series.

Giannis94
07-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Simmons
Richardson
Tobias
Horford
Embiid

That's the best team in the East. Happy for you MTM

But embiid stillz wontz be ablez to getz outta da second round.

MTM can hit me up with **** talk after embiid gets out of the second round which is unlikely given his past track record. See MLM, does both ways. Am I doing this write?

Rivera
07-01-2019, 10:20 AM
i want to wait and see the final butler to heat deal but horford was a solid move

i just am trying to figure out the spacing of the team especially with Ben. Als best at the high post or straight away 3 on offense. im just trying to figure out the spacing of Horford-Embiid-Simmons together

Richardson, if he really does come (which all the reports so far) are saying yes is a nice piece, but its like the 76ers took their worst attribute as a team (shooting) and made it worse.

They will still win 50 plus games, defensively, they will be disgusting. I am not sure playoff wise how they will work yet. As of now, it seems they would have to grind out games because you can literally build a wall in the playoffs against Philly and dare Embiid/Horford/Simmons to shoot 3s consistently

Wes Mantooth
07-01-2019, 10:42 AM
The 76ers went all in and had to overpay 2 guys to avoid looking bad. Harris and Horford are both solid players but in today's NBA they play the 4 and the 5. Small ball has taken over and Philly is going big, really big. Paying that much money to guys that have to play out of position is crazy. Most teams are going small at the end of games. If those match ups are not working Philly is going to have one of their high priced players on the bench when it matters most.

Oakmont_4
07-01-2019, 10:44 AM
i want to wait and see the final butler to heat deal but horford was a solid move

i just am trying to figure out the spacing of the team especially with Ben. Als best at the high post or straight away 3 on offense. im just trying to figure out the spacing of Horford-Embiid-Simmons together

Richardson, if he really does come (which all the reports so far) are saying yes is a nice piece, but its like the 76ers took their worst attribute as a team (shooting) and made it worse.

They will still win 50 plus games, defensively, they will be disgusting. I am not sure playoff wise how they will work yet. As of now, it seems they would have to grind out games because you can literally build a wall in the playoffs against Philly and dare Embiid/Horford/Simmons to shoot 3s consistently

Horford and Embiid fit beautifully together. But yeah not so sure on how Simmons and Jrich will work on offense with the bigs. Same goes with Harris. Offensively it just feels very congested inside

Defensively they’re scary. They’re super long and athletic. And huge inside. Not sure how you attach a team like this other than ball movement and being able to hit shots. Going inside on them is going to be very difficult. Perfect guys to matchup against a team like MIL

Vee-Rex
07-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Horford and Embiid fit beautifully together. But yeah not so sure on how Simmons and Jrich will work on offense with the bigs. Same goes with Harris. Offensively it just feels very congested inside

Defensively they’re scary. They’re super long and athletic. And huge inside. Not sure how you attach a team like this other than ball movement and being able to hit shots. Going inside on them is going to be very difficult. Perfect guys to matchup against a team like MIL

J-Rich is a decent 3-point shooter. And even before him they had JJ who could spread the floor.

Horford, Embiid, Harris, Rich - enough pieces to spread the floor. Yet, it DOES feel like a congested lineup. Honestly, I think speed may be a bit of a problem in the transition game as well as the Ben + Embiid pairing. Embiid is best utilized inside and it kind of clashes with Ben's ability to penetrate. Obviously a threat in the East, but I'm not sure they can win a championship with those two together.

Rivera
07-01-2019, 10:58 AM

thats for basically re enforcing everything I said :laugh2:

smith&wesson
07-01-2019, 11:01 AM

What they should have done.

Butler was the reason the 76ers had any chance against the Raptors in the playoffs. With out him they are not the same team at all. Even with adding Horford they won’t be the same. They will still be good in the regular season but losing Butler will hurt most in the post season and that’s where they’ll feel it.

bostncelts34
07-01-2019, 11:02 AM
Its gonna be tough to see Al with a Philly uniform on.

Very good pick up overall. I am interested to see how Simmons fits into the offense with Horford though.

Oakmont_4
07-01-2019, 11:27 AM
thats for basically re enforcing everything I said :laugh2:

I’m reiterating that Simmons is the real issue as far as spacing. You lumped all 3 together but Horford and Embiid are great next to each other. Just adding more to your original post as I know what you were getting at but it didn’t get your point across as clear as it should’ve. It makes it seem like all 3 can’t work together but in reality there’s just 1 player in that group that’s a potential issue.

PHI really should look into moving Ben. They won’t, but if they could they can really cash in and add a more complimentary PG and some bench pieces.

Rivera
07-01-2019, 11:29 AM
I’m reiterating that Simmons is the real issue as far as spacing. You lumped all 3 together but Horford and Embiid are great next to each other. Just adding more to your original post as I know what you were getting at but it didn’t get your point across as clear as it should’ve. It makes it seem like all 3 can’t work together but in reality there’s just 1 player in that group that’s a potential issue.

PHI really should look into moving Ben. They won’t, but if they could they can really cash in and add a more complimentary PG and some bench pieces.

but i also know that Ben wont be moved, so im not going to pretend. Moving Ben would solve it but for who? and Philly more than likely wont do it. so the three of them together on the floor is a spacing issue, thats why i lumped all 3...............................

ewing
07-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Love AL. Don’t love his fit. He is best as a small ball 5. Joel is a monster the Sixers should take advantage of it by putting speed on the wings

Jamiecballer
07-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Damn, the Sixers just into the position of favorite

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

hugepatsfan
07-01-2019, 11:48 AM
At the end of the day PHI has a ton of great players so they’ll be fine. However, I do think that they might eventually find using Horford, Embiid and Harris as more of a 3 man rotation at PF/C might be a better option than all 3 playing extended minutes together.

warfelg
07-01-2019, 11:58 AM
At the end of the day PHI has a ton of great players so they’ll be fine. However, I do think that they might eventually find using Horford, Embiid and Harris as more of a 3 man rotation at PF/C might be a better option than all 3 playing extended minutes together.

I think that's what the ultimate plan will be. Start all 3 together, and then you always have some combination of Harris, Horford, Embiid, Scott at the 4/5 through the game until crunch time.

TheDish87
07-01-2019, 02:06 PM
good luck scoring on us, bout to be holding teams to 90 a night.

CasperX22
07-01-2019, 04:47 PM
What they should have done.

Butler was the reason the 76ers had any chance against the Raptors in the playoffs. With out him they are not the same team at all. Even with adding Horford they won’t be the same. They will still be good in the regular season but losing Butler will hurt most in the post season and that’s where they’ll feel it.

Ball needs to be in Ben's hands coming up the Floor. It was never going to work with Ben and Jimmy on the floor together. It's a much better fit.

Rivera
07-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Ball needs to be in Ben's hands coming up the Floor. It was never going to work with Ben and Jimmy on the floor together. It's a much better fit.

lol wut? you were 4 bounces away from an ECF trip. Embiid and Butler almost willed the team to the ECF carrying Ben

Ben is the fit problem, always has and always will until he can hit a jumper consistently

hugepatsfan
07-01-2019, 05:11 PM
lol wut? you were 4 bounces away from an ECF trip. Embiid and Butler almost willed the team to the ECF carrying Ben

Ben is the fit problem, always has and always will until he can hit a jumper consistently

This is honestly the truth. The talent with Ben is tantalizing and he’s so young, but Butler is clearly the better player right now. If they have some near title years with this squad but never get over the hump they could look back and regret sticking with Simmons.

More-Than-Most
07-01-2019, 09:47 PM
But embiid stillz wontz be ablez to getz outta da second round.

MTM can hit me up with **** talk after embiid gets out of the second round which is unlikely given his past track record. See MLM, does both ways. Am I doing this write?

we took the champs to the brink... those same champs that squashed your team. I am glad you are back though.... how you feel about middleton who you wanted to let go and how do you feel about brog who you wanted to keep?

crewfan13
07-02-2019, 12:10 PM

I must have a terrible memory or maybe I'm the only one who can't see into the future, but they were not 4 bounces away from the ECF. They were 4 bounces away from OT and they made 1 basket in the last 3 minutes of the game (butler made it by the way). So it's far from a given that they were a shoe in to advance.

I don't hate the moves for Philly. I am interested to see how it will work. In a league that continues to go smaller and quicker, Philly is bucking the trend by going bigger. They should be great defensively on paper, but we'll see how much having an aging Horford and embiid, who's injuries have been known to lead to fatigue issues, chasing guys more on the perimeter will work.

It's just a wait and see approach for me with Philly. It's hard to say they are for sure better or worse than last year. They just seem different. And maybe by default, with the possibility of the bucks, Toronto and Boston all suffering potentially varying downgrades, they'll look better withoht actually being better, but it's just tough for me to say.

warfelg
07-02-2019, 12:54 PM

Horfords contract reportedly now has $28mil in year 1 and a descending payment structure from there.

Oakmont_4
07-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Horfords contract reportedly now has $28mil in year 1 and a descending payment structure from there.

Smart move

ewing
07-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Smart move

Either way it’s an over pay for a guy those skill set over laps the Sixers best player

Oakmont_4
07-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Either way it’s an over pay for a guy those skill set over laps the Sixers best player

All top Free Agents are generally an overpay. And when your top player has an injury history like he does, that overlap will be nice. Pay more now while you have cap and less as he declines.... Smart

warfelg
07-02-2019, 08:29 PM
All top Free Agents are generally an overpay. And when your top player has an injury history like he does, that overlap will be nice. Pay more now while you have cap and less as he declines.... Smart

Yup. And the expectation is they won't play together much. 5 minutes to start the game, 5 to close it, and maybe 5-10 other minutes a game. Otherwise it's one or the other on the floor. On top of that rest Horford, rest Embiid. Get 60/82 from each of them. Now both are going fresh into the post season.

Also missed in the mix a bit is Brett's coaching tree background. Popovich. Who made a pairing like this work to win plenty of ships over a long time.

ewing
07-02-2019, 09:26 PM

I was assuming the Sixers goal was to win a title not to retain respectability if Joel gets hurt.

Oakmont_4
07-02-2019, 09:34 PM
I was assuming the Sixers goal was to win a title not to retain respectability if Joel gets hurt.

Al certainly would’ve helped in last years playoffs when Embiid wasn’t 100%. Might have gotten past Toronto. Could very well have won the whole thing.

crewfan13
07-02-2019, 09:40 PM
Yup. And the expectation is they won't play together much. 5 minutes to start the game, 5 to close it, and maybe 5-10 other minutes a game. Otherwise it's one or the other on the floor. On top of that rest Horford, rest Embiid. Get 60/82 from each of them. Now both are going fresh into the post season.

Also missed in the mix a bit is Brett's coaching tree background. Popovich. Who made a pairing like this work to win plenty of ships over a long time.

But if its an awkward fit, they're still playing together down the stretch. I'm intrigued by how it works. And sure, pop made it work with his twin bigs but the league has changed quite a bit since then. Like I said, it's intriguing, but I'm not willing to say they are for sure better. Butler maybe wasn't a great fit bit was definitely a better player tham Horford.

warfelg
07-02-2019, 09:43 PM
But if its an awkward fit, they're still playing together down the stretch. I'm intrigued by how it works. And sure, pop made it work with his twin bigs but the league has changed quite a bit since then. Like I said, it's intriguing, but I'm not willing to say they are for sure better. Butler maybe wasn't a great fit bit was definitely a better player tham Horford.

Horford is a little better of a shooter than he's getting credit for.

JAZZNC
07-02-2019, 11:49 PM
IMO he is a great guy to teach Embiid/Simmons what it takes to be a true pro. He does everything at an acceptable level on the court. I like Horford more than the Harris signing.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 03:12 AM
IMO he is a great guy to teach Embiid/Simmons what it takes to be a true pro. He does everything at an acceptable level on the court. I like Horford more than the Harris signing.

This. I hope he destroys joel all off season in practice... Time for our guys to put on their big boy pants or drastic changes are needed after this year... If embiid is still eating like a 300 pounder and ben simmons is shooting like a 300 pound center one of them has to go period... i dont care who. We have all this talent and we are being hindered by a monster of a player who wants to drink 5 milk shakes at a time and a PG who refuses to shoot outside of 2.5 feet.... **** out of here.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 03:13 AM
as for horford being an overpay.... it is but isnt... WE HAD NO CHOICE PEOPLE..... We had to ****ing pay ben simmons and would have had 0 free agency room come next off season. We needed to spend this year and all we did was go into the luxury tax which was expected. We didnt over pay in terms of missing talent... we made our team better by using our cap because we had to use our cap.

Lakers1980
07-03-2019, 04:42 AM
Horford makes teams better period... doesn’t post impressive stats but the dude is a flat out baller and a straight up pro... this is a massive signing for Philly and in my opinion makes them the team to beat in the East.

ewing
07-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Al certainly would’ve helped in last years playoffs when Embiid wasn’t 100%. Might have gotten past Toronto. Could very well have won the whole thing.

Not without Jimmy Butler you wouldn’t have

ewing
07-03-2019, 07:15 AM

I’m i the only one that watched him on the Sixers including the playoffs where he was awesome? Jimmy Butler fit fine. Would Paul George have been a fit better? Probably but I can’t think of many other that do

ewing
07-03-2019, 07:19 AM
as for horford being an overpay.... it is but isnt... WE HAD NO CHOICE PEOPLE..... We had to ****ing pay ben simmons and would have had 0 free agency room come next off season. We needed to spend this year and all we did was go into the luxury tax which was expected. We didnt over pay in terms of missing talent... we made our team better by using our cap because we had to use our cap.

The problem is the Al is slow and packs the paint even more. Al and Joel maybe able to play together but he limits Ben even more. The goal should be surround Ben and Joel with players that let them get the max out there abilities. Al isn’t that. Ideally the Sixers should have two Paul Georges at the wings. Wings that are long, defend the perimeter, run, and spread the D.

ewing
07-03-2019, 07:22 AM

you would have been better last year with these guys instead of Jimmy and JJ?

ewing
07-03-2019, 08:07 AM
We should start calling Butler “Bad Fit Jimmy”. It doesn’t matter what he does he is a bad fit. I know he has a history of being a pain in the *** but I think he fit beautifully last year in Philly

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 08:16 AM

without question... i wanted JJ gone... His defense was putrid and sure he can shoot we upgraded with richardson over him by leaps and bounds.... Horford might not have the touch jimmy has but he is a far better defender compared to what jimmy was last year... Butler balls and i love the dude but his defense was not that great last year... on top of this our biggest issue was every single time joel embiid left the game... not when butler left... Not when ben left but when Joel left... we fixed that with horford... there was also talk that fit was bothering harris and it was... we chose harris over butler basically but going for him first... now harris can be integrated in the offense more where is ben/butler clogged a ton of **** up for the likes of harris.

talent fixes anything and we had the talent but i doubt we get passed the hurt warriors even if we beat the raptors because anytime joel sat we went to ****.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 08:17 AM
We should start calling Butler “Bad Fit Jimmy”. It doesn’t matter what he does he is a bad fit. I know he has a history of being a pain in the *** but I think he fit beautifully last year in Philly

he didnt. Said this a ton last year as well... He fit beautifully when we let him play point like i screamed for all year when ben would sit.... when ben and jimmy were on the floor together jimmy was left standing in a corner

warfelg
07-03-2019, 08:31 AM

Long run missing JJ is going to hurt more than Jimmy. JJ created havoc on offense by running all around screens, and his downscreen with Embiid. Jimmy spent times standing in the wings then going iso in the last 3-4 minutes. So it depends on who we have do each job. Tobias Harris is most likely going to be doing most the running off of screens, but he won't have the same gravity that JJ had.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Long run missing JJ is going to hurt more than Jimmy. JJ created havoc on offense by running all around screens, and his downscreen with Embiid. Jimmy spent times standing in the wings then going iso in the last 3-4 minutes. So it depends on who we have do each job. Tobias Harris is most likely going to be doing most the running off of screens, but he won't have the same gravity that JJ had.

strongly disagree... we wont rely on that 1 thing as our bread and butter anymore and limit embiid because he is app the only one capable of screening for JJ... On top of this our defense is much much much improved without JJ.... I do agree harris will be used in the roll a bit more but how much we relied on that crap was annoying.

warfelg
07-03-2019, 09:02 AM
99% of the NBA uses that same action. We no longer have a reliable 3-point shooter to the level of JJ to make that play as effective. We will struggle adjusting to that early on. Book it.

In fact, I give until the 15th game of the season that you end up posting 30 posts in a GDT about how Brett should be fired because of no spacing.

Oakmont_4
07-03-2019, 09:10 AM
The problem is the Al is slow and packs the paint even more. Al and Joel maybe able to play together but he limits Ben even more. The goal should be surround Ben and Joel with players that let them get the max out there abilities. Al isn’t that. Ideally the Sixers should have two Paul Georges at the wings. Wings that are long, defend the perimeter, run, and spread the D.

Do you even watch a Horford? I have the past 3 years every other night. Horford in no way clogs the paint. He mainly plays at the top of the key and arch. He personally will not clog anything and for a big he runs well. He’s always around on fast breaks. He’s not the fastest player out there but certainly not the slowest either.

Oakmont_4
07-03-2019, 09:14 AM
99% of the NBA uses that same action. We no longer have a reliable 3-point shooter to the level of JJ to make that play as effective. We will struggle adjusting to that early on. Book it.

In fact, I give until the 15th game of the season that you end up posting 30 posts in a GDT about how Brett should be fired because of no spacing.

Outside shooting will definitely be a concern. But Horford really has nothing to do with that. He’ll actually be your best outside shooter IMO. Anyone who’s bashing the Horford signing has no idea what they’re talking about.

Personally I would have tried to get a shooter in the Butler deal because J Rich is redundant on your team. And as with the past couple of seasons depth will be an area of need as well.

But Horford will not be a problem at all. Great move.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 09:21 AM

brett should always be fired :shrug:

warfelg
07-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Outside shooting will definitely be a concern. But Horford really has nothing to do with that. He’ll actually be your best outside shooter IMO. Anyone who’s bashing the Horford signing has no idea what they’re talking about.

Personally I would have tried to get a shooter in the Butler deal because J Rich is redundant on your team. And as with the past couple of seasons depth will be an area of need as well.

But Horford will not be a problem at all. Great move.

The issue with adding a shooter to that trade is contracts. Trading out Butler without rescinding him means $32.7 mil out and only taking back $10mil, which is the space (along with Reddick cap hold rescinded) we signed Horford with.

As far as depth, Horford as the starting 4/backup 5 alleviates some of that. Mike Scott was retained. As was James Ennis. We also added Kyle O’Quinn. I think Zhaire Smith has a good future ahead of him and he’ll be a healthy backup at the 2. That’s 4 deep on the bench, and from the sounds of it we’re still in on Cook as well.

ewing
07-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Do you even watch a Horford? I have the past 3 years every other night. Horford in no way clogs the paint. He mainly plays at the top of the key and arch. He personally will not clog anything and for a big he runs well. He’s always around on fast breaks. He’s not the fastest player out there but certainly not the slowest either.

I don’t care where he is unless his defender is out there with him. His defender will sag a hell of a lot more then Jimmy’s or Tobias would. If you don’t think the Sixers are slower with him you are just wrong. I love Al but he is not a great fit for the Sixers. His heady play will make him a positive overall but he will make them slower and make thing even harder on Simmons in the half court against tough match ups

ewing
07-03-2019, 09:45 AM

I going to take that as “no but I hope somehow it works out”

crewfan13
07-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Horford is a little better of a shooter than he's getting credit for.

I'm fully aware. Hes killed the bucks the last 2 post seasons with his jumper. But it's a slow shot, so teams can still sag.

And honestly, defense is where I'm a little concerned as well. Everyone is anticipating this defense to dominate. But you'll end up with guys playing out of position. Horford and embiid can chase on the perimeter, but you'll also be asking them to do it more when they do play together. That means rotations will be a little slower and one of them will probably be more fatigued from playing the perimeter more. Same with tobais. Now he's chasing 3s instead of 4s more often. So he goes from an okay defender to a not great defender. Rich over Redick is a plus for sure. It's not like I'm saying they're going to be awful defensively, but having multiple guys play out of posituon, especially having bigs play smaller guys more often typically isn't the recipe for success.

Like I've said, it's not that I hate it or think they're worse than last year. I just think it's sort of an odd marriage of good talent and I'm interested to see how it works.

Oakmont_4
07-03-2019, 10:15 AM
I don’t care where he is unless his defender is out there with him. His defender will sag a hell of a lot more then Jimmy’s or Tobias would. If you don’t think the Sixers are slower with him you are just wrong. I love Al but he is not a great fit for the Sixers. His heady play will make him a positive overall but he will make them slower and make thing even harder on Simmons in the half court against tough match ups

If they sag off Al he’ll hit top of the key J’s and 3’s all day. That plays right into PHI hand

ewing
07-03-2019, 10:59 AM
I'm fully aware. Hes killed the bucks the last 2 post seasons with his jumper. But it's a slow shot, so teams can still sag.

And honestly, defense is where I'm a little concerned as well. Everyone is anticipating this defense to dominate. But you'll end up with guys playing out of position. Horford and embiid can chase on the perimeter, but you'll also be asking them to do it more when they do play together. That means rotations will be a little slower and one of them will probably be more fatigued from playing the perimeter more. Same with tobais. Now he's chasing 3s instead of 4s more often. So he goes from an okay defender to a not great defender. Rich over Redick is a plus for sure. It's not like I'm saying they're going to be awful defensively, but having multiple guys play out of posituon, especially having bigs play smaller guys more often typically isn't the recipe for success.

Like I've said, it's not that I hate it or think they're worse than last year. I just think it's sort of an odd marriage of good talent and I'm interested to see how it works.

I think we see this move very similarly

JAZZNC
07-03-2019, 01:15 PM
This. I hope he destroys joel all off season in practice... Time for our guys to put on their big boy pants or drastic changes are needed after this year... If embiid is still eating like a 300 pounder and ben simmons is shooting like a 300 pound center one of them has to go period... i dont care who. We have all this talent and we are being hindered by a monster of a player who wants to drink 5 milk shakes at a time and a PG who refuses to shoot outside of 2.5 feet.... **** out of here.

That has got to be a tad frustrating seeing Embiid with the undeniable talent but not maximizing that talent. Shooting I kinda feel like is a thing that you either have or you don't by the time you get to the NBA. So Ben kinda gets a pass on that (from me anyway). But not being in good enough shape isn't acceptable. Even if he doesn't get in great shape I'd still take him over Simmons because if he isn't gassed Embiid doesn't have much in the way of weaknesses (maybe poor BBIQ at times???).

mightybosstone
07-03-2019, 01:18 PM
I'll be interested to see how this team fits with Horford and Embiid on the court together, but I actually think they may have gotten a little better despite losing Butler.

JAZZNC
07-03-2019, 01:19 PM

I was feeling the same way about the Jazz until they signed Jeff Green. I was worried about having to force a guy who's really a 2 or 3 to have to play the 4. Guarding out of position isn't what ya want. Luckily the Jazz were able to pick up Green who can handle the 4 for 20-25mins per game.

More-Than-Most
07-03-2019, 09:33 PM
[Pelton] "Horford and Richardson made 573 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, almost identical to the 575 made by Butler and Redick combined."

just saying

ewing
07-03-2019, 10:03 PM
[Pelton] "Horford and Richardson made 573 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, almost identical to the 575 made by Butler and Redick combined."

just saying

They will have plenty of opportunities this year too with 3 defenders sitting in Joel’s lap

BSF101
07-03-2019, 10:10 PM
At least he didn’t join the Lakers, Nets, or Warriors.

warfelg
07-04-2019, 09:00 AM

NBA all the way
07-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Front loaded makes more sense for an older player.

R. Johnson#3
07-05-2019, 05:32 PM
The Sixers as a whole are kind of weird with this signing but they'll definitely be a top 3 seed in the East. Who will be defending the PG on the starting 5? Simmons should be put on the opposing teams best player so I guess it's JRich?

Off the bench I assume it'll be James Ennis who I think is a huge under the radar signing. He gave both Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet hell during the playoffs. Lowry has definitely lost a step but Fred can blow by guys. Ennis defended both of them really well.

warfelg
07-05-2019, 05:44 PM
The Sixers as a whole are kind of weird with this signing but they'll definitely be a top 3 seed in the East. Who will be defending the PG on the starting 5? Simmons should be put on the opposing teams best player so I guess it's JRich?

It will be Simmons or Rich depending on the matchup. Simmons is a great defender. Don't discount that in him.

Off the bench I assume it'll be James Ennis who I think is a huge under the radar signing. He gave both Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet hell during the playoffs. Lowry has definitely lost a step but Fred can blow by guys. Ennis defended both of them really well.

Ennis, Smith, Thybulle.

R. Johnson#3
07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
It will be Simmons or Rich depending on the matchup. Simmons is a great defender. Don't discount that in him.

Ennis, Smith, Thybulle.

I'm not discounting that in him at all which is why I said he should be defending the opposing teams best player.

CasperX22
07-05-2019, 10:13 PM

Exactly.

CasperX22
07-05-2019, 10:17 PM

Exactly. He will create space in the paint for those guys. Not clog it. Horford has a better jumper for a big man than he's being given credit for. The gains defensively and the ability to stagger him with Embiid far outweigh the negatives.

warfelg
07-05-2019, 10:26 PM
I'm not discounting that in him at all which is why I said he should be defending the opposing teams best player.

My bad, misread what you wrote.

CasperX22
07-05-2019, 10:26 PM

Apparently we watched a different game at the end of the game. How many times did Butler iso and either turn it over or take a bad shot in the last 5 mins of game 7? I personally won't miss Jimmy at all. Simmons needs to be the primary guy bringing it up the floor and the ball needs to touch Embiid's hands in those late game situations.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
07-13-2019, 12:06 PM
Always been a big fan of Horford. Huge pickup for the Sixers.

Horford is a excellent glue guy. Great for regular season to stagger minutes for rest. But come playoffs and less rest showed on Horford. Game 1 versus Bucks Horford was a animal. But once the series went on he looked very tired and was a couple steps behind for defense. But I think its still a odd signing. But who knows maybe it works out. I would of went for more shooting depth though. Horford can shoot. But stuck all your eggs in one basket.