PDA

View Full Version : The Knicks weren't going to offer KD the max

TylerSL
06-30-2019, 08:12 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27092547/knicks-want-offer-kd-max-deal

According to ESPN, the New York Knicks were never in contention to sign KD because they were not prepared to offer him a max contract over fear of his injury. I understand the Knicks are getting mocked by everyone for striking out on all the top free agents, as always, but this is truly remarkable. The same franchise that gave Joakim Noah, with his injury history, 4 years $72 million and Tim Hardaway Jr 4 years $71 million wasn't prepared to offer one of the all time great players in history a max contract? KD signing with the Knicks would have been the greatest thing to happen to that franchise since they last won a championship.

Again, I get that this team is already getting killed by everyone, but what an absolute joke of a franchise. They traded their future, Porzingis, to get out of a self inflicted salary cap mess so they could sign KD and Kyrie. KD and Kyrie came to New York, just not to them, and they will watch as every other single top free agent goes to another team. They probably couldn't even get a damn meeting with any of them because why would anyone want to join the Knicks? Randle and whoever else they can get will probably do well and the Knicks might even push for the playoffs, but to give away Porzingis, who is going to do amazing things in Dallas, and come up with nothing is only something the Knicks would do. And now to see that they weren't even going to offer KD the max (because the plan was to trade Porz so they sign KD) just shows what an absolute joke this franchise is.

Message to Knicks fans everywhere: I know you love your team. I sure love my Heat even though they haven't been relevant for some time, so I understand that your fandom runs deeper than results on the court. But you need to understand that James Dolan does not care about you. He reaps the benefits of your love and gives you nothing. The relationship between the Knicks and their fan base is akin to domestic abuse.

But fear not Knicks fans for there is hope! There is another team in New York that is worthy of your support and love, the Brooklyn Nets. They refused to tank even after making that awful trade with the Celtics all those years ago and have been rewarded for their labors. The Nets will give you a great product in New York and the Knicks never will. It's time to throw that franchise out like the piece of trash it is and go with something new and better. That franchise needs you, not the other way around. It's time to dump the Knicks for well and good.

Heediot
06-30-2019, 08:15 PM
should of offered him the max and tanked next year while he heals. add another max guy next summer while you collect assets. trade assets for another star like lakers did for ad.

SiteWolf
06-30-2019, 08:29 PM
It's easy for those of us not writing the checks to question those that do, but regardless of how things turn out, that's a **** ton of money to pay someone you know can't play for a year and you don't know will ever again be the player he's been. People act like achilles injuries are similar to ACLs, but they're simply not.

TylerSL
06-30-2019, 08:39 PM
It's easy for those of us not writing the checks to question those that do, but regardless of how things turn out, that's a **** ton of money to pay someone you know can't play for a year and you don't know will ever again be the player he's been. People act like achilles injuries are similar to ACLs, but they're simply not.

But they gave Noah and Amare huge money when they had bad injury histories, and neither signing was even a tenth of what a KD signing would have been. The Knicks honestly should just relocate. Dolan should sell and they should become the new Seattle Supersonics.

Jets012
06-30-2019, 08:43 PM
They just said this to save face. Embarrassed they couldn't get him.

redsox12
06-30-2019, 08:53 PM
But they gave Noah and Amare huge money when they had bad injury histories, and neither signing was even a tenth of what a KD signing would have been. The Knicks honestly should just relocate. Dolan should sell and they should become the new Seattle Supersonics.

Thats going a little too far, New York is the biggest city in the world, there has to be a New York team in the league.

HeaTxRipZz
06-30-2019, 08:55 PM

And how did those pan out? That's exactly why they didn't want to do it again LOL you're supposed to attempt to learn from mistakes not constantly repeat them.

TylerSL
06-30-2019, 09:02 PM
And how did those pan out? That's exactly why they didn't want to do it again LOL you're supposed to attempt to learn from mistakes not constantly repeat them.

You're right, they did the right thing. They traded Porzingis so they could sign Julius Randle, Bobby Portis and Reggie Bullock. The Warriors, Nets, and Clippers, all franchises who are way more successfull than the Knicks, were willing to give KD the max but they weren't. What a bunch of winners.

nastynice
06-30-2019, 09:17 PM
I don't believe that. I'm pretty sure they'd pay him max.

HeaTxRipZz
06-30-2019, 09:24 PM
You're right, they did the right thing. They traded Porzingis so they could sign Julius Randle, Bobby Portis and Reggie Bullock. The Warriors, Nets, and Clippers, all franchises who are way more successfull than the Knicks, were willing to give KD the max but they weren't. What a bunch of winners.

Poor take again. KP wasn't traded to sign KD and Kyrie. KP went to them and demanded a trade, he threatened to sign the Qualifying offer and then leaving as a Restricted FA in the Summer of 2020. Once KP signed that Qualifying offer we would not get anything close to what we got from the Mavs (including Dennis Smith Jr) Because most teams that would have known he would sign, could just wait until the offseason. It's funny reading people constantly twisting narratives to fit the jokes and such they would like to tell when the truth is already sitting out there. The only smart play the Knicks could've took was trying to convince KP that the Knicks were different from when Phil jackson was running things but if that didn't work we would receive next to nothing for him at all.

They essentially received DSJ and a ton of cap relief. DSJ hasn't reached the heights people felt he'd reach yet but he is no where near a bust either. Let's just be completely real with these discussions. I would have loved for the Knicks to hit a home run of Kyrie and KD but they also just drafted RJ Barrett who was rated as the #1 player in the country before Zion blew up this past season. They still have DSJ, Knox, Robinson and so on. From a player development standpoint they aren't even bad shape at all nowhere close to it

TylerSL
06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
Poor take again. KP wasn't traded to sign KD and Kyrie. KP went to them and demanded a trade, he threatened to sign the Qualifying offer and then leaving as a Restricted FA in the Summer of 2020. Once KP signed that Qualifying offer we would not get anything close to what we got from the Mavs (including Dennis Smith Jr) Because most teams that would have known he would sign, could just wait until the offseason. It's funny reading people constantly twisting narratives to fit the jokes and such they would like to tell when the truth is already sitting out there. The only smart play the Knicks could've took was trying to convince KP that the Knicks were different from when Phil jackson was running things but if that didn't work we would receive next to nothing for him at all.

They essentially received DSJ and a ton of cap relief. DSJ hasn't reached the heights people felt he'd reach yet but he is no where near a bust either. Let's just be completely real with these discussions. I would have loved for the Knicks to hit a home run of Kyrie and KD but they also just drafted RJ Barrett who was rated as the #1 player in the country before Zion blew up this past season. They still have DSJ, Knox, Robinson and so on. From a player development standpoint they aren't even bad shape at all nowhere close to it

DSJ is a guy who should have already been on their team, but they laughably passed on him in the draft. Heart to heart I understand you want the Knicks to do well, but they dont deserve your support. They are never going to do anything. If RJ Barrett turns into a great player he will certainly leave the Knicks for greener pastures. There are exactly 29 better options than the Knicks.

jericho
06-30-2019, 09:37 PM
Just go steal dlo before the Twolves can make a trade happen and I'm happy with what we go. Build for the future not for now.

CasperX22
06-30-2019, 09:44 PM
I think the best part of this is getting to see Steven A cry like a child.

mike_noodles
06-30-2019, 10:33 PM
Honestly, I have a little more respect for Dolan if true. Durant on a max deal with that injury and his age is very risky. Can the Knicks really take the chance that he doesn't recover and 35% of their cap is locked up on him?

But I think they're trying to save face because they've struck out again.

Cal827
06-30-2019, 11:14 PM
I think the best part of this is getting to see Steven A cry like a child.

:laugh2: Yeah

SiteWolf
06-30-2019, 11:34 PM

Umm, the Warriors Nets and Clippers have been way more successful than the Knicks? Are we just ignoring everything that happened more than 5 years ago? When they traded Porzingis, I'm sure they had every intention of going after Durant....their hesitation was the injury, and justified if true- it's a big risk Brooklyn is taking on.

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2019, 01:53 AM
I wouldn’t have offered KD the max but this is ******** :laugh2:

smith&wesson
07-01-2019, 09:42 AM
So they had Vonleh and decided to go lateral and sign Gibson because he doesn’t fit the youth movement at all but they signed him anyway :hi5: signed Randle to over twice the amount of what Jordan is signing in Brooklyn. :hi5::hi5:

Just having some fun here but everyone blames Dolan but he’s not the GM. Their GM is on actual fire. I seen him running across queens bridge being chased by SAS with a blow torch

Leftcoast_yg
07-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Knicks are in no position to be picky. Let KD say he wouldve taken a pay cut if they would have offered the max and brought in Kyrie too. Spike Lee is rolling in his grave right now even though hes still alive haha. I wanna see the Knicks back in the playoffs honestly.

NBA all the way
07-01-2019, 06:04 PM
So instead of KD at max they got...

Randle 3 yrs/$63 million
Portis 2 yrs/$31 million
Bullock 2yrs/$21 million
Gibson 2 yrs/$20 million
Payton 2 yrs/$16 million
Ellington 2 yrs/$16 million

jericho
07-01-2019, 08:01 PM

Randle 3 yrs/$63 million
Portis 2 yrs/$31 million
Bullock 2yrs/$21 million
Gibson 2 yrs/$20 million
Payton 2 yrs/$16 million

With team options.

GiantsSwaGG
07-01-2019, 08:42 PM

Randle 3 yrs/$63 million
Portis 2 yrs/$31 million
Bullock 2yrs/$21 million
Gibson 2 yrs/$20 million
Payton 2 yrs/$16 million

Too be honest rather those then take a chance of KD too risky.

aman_13
07-01-2019, 09:00 PM
Too be honest rather those then take a chance of KD too risky.

In this league, you have to take chances.

ewing
07-01-2019, 10:44 PM
We still got the garden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiantsSwaGG
07-02-2019, 01:14 AM
In this league, you have to take chances.

We did with Amare Carmelo, McDyeese, Francis, Marbury, TMac

It flopped, it only works with other franchises, we’re the Knicks. We have a black cloud over us!

Dade County
07-02-2019, 05:06 AM
Ny fans .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcPRPy5D2nE

SAS video cuts of him going off

beasted86
07-02-2019, 08:47 AM
Knicks will be in misery until they show consistent competency over an extended period. They have been a laughing stock of controversy, stupid moves, trade demands, etc.

They need to start making sound basketball decisions. I actually like how to recovered here. They need to build from this moment. They need to ramp up their training facility to get top of the line equipment and the best training staff. "Lethal shooter" and all the best trainers should be on salary for the Knicks maximizing these younger players they now have.

The Knicks are no longer the crown jewel of NY.

Leftcoast_yg
07-02-2019, 02:49 PM
I didnt know Kd gave Porzingis the unicorn nickname.

Dade County
07-02-2019, 03:01 PM
I didnt know Kd gave Porzingis the unicorn nickname.

I thought Phil named him that. idk

Dade County
07-02-2019, 06:22 PM
:laugh2:

The New York Knicks have to be considered one of the biggest losers of free agency after missing out on multiple star players.

Instead, New York added second-tier guys like Julius Randle and Bobby Portis on larger-than-expected contracts.

In reporting the Knicks’ moves, the New York Post didn’t necessarily do itself any favors. In fact, the paper included a picture of Washington Wizards star Bradley Beal when reporting the Portis signing.

It’s all sorts of great.

https://sportsnaut.com/2019/07/look-new-york-paper-thinks-knicks-acquired-bradley-beal/