PDA

View Full Version : Pacers trading for brogdon

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 06:31 PM
Indiana is trading a first-round and two future second round picks to the Milwaukee for Malcolm Brogdon, league sources tell ESPN.

More-Than-Most
06-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Malcolm Brogdon has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal with Indiana, league sources tell ESPN.

redsox12
06-30-2019, 06:35 PM
Woj confirms

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1145459555712884736

Indiana is gonna be solid as heck.

SG Oladipo
PG Brogdon
SF Warren
PF Domantas Sabonis
C Turner

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Good for him. When is Oladipo coming back?

Hustla23
06-30-2019, 06:36 PM
Indiana going for it. I like it.

They'll be a tough out for anyone in the east.

Heediot
06-30-2019, 06:37 PM
Lakers running out of role player options waiting for Kawhi to turn them down and re-up in Toronto. Looks like it's going to be Bron-AD-D'angelo and Kuzma. They might have to score 130 consistently a night with the defense they are carting on to the floor.

Good for Brogdon. Not as bad as Dedmonds contract, I think the numbers are passable for MB (easily swallowed).

redsox12
06-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Indiana will be a top 4 team in the east.

YAALREADYKNO
06-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Wow

IndyRealist
06-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Good for him. When is Oladipo coming back?

Earliest is December or Janurary.

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 07:25 PM
Earliest is December or Janurary.

They got some good pieces today, imo.

IndyRealist
06-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Anyone have an opinion on Brogdon? I know metrics love him but I can't say I've seen him play.

redsox12
06-30-2019, 07:35 PM
Anyone have an opinion on Brogdon? I know metrics love him but I can't say I've seen him play.

I watched him play alot with UVA, he just does so many thing right, defense, passing, Jason Kidd really helped him make the move to PG. High IQ player.

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 07:37 PM

Good defender and a 50, 40, 90 guy. About all I know. I think he'll fit with the Pacers nicely.

ewing
06-30-2019, 09:34 PM
Malcolm Brogdon has agreed to a four-year, $85M deal with Indiana, league sources tell ESPN.

Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ewing
06-30-2019, 09:36 PM

Lights out shooter. Heady, good with and without the ball. Doesnít mean the pace you world normally like to see from guards but you have victor for that. Heís just a nice player

Giannis94
07-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Lights out shooter. Heady, good with and without the ball. Doesnít mean the pace you world normally like to see from guards but you have victor for that. Heís just a nice player

Also extremely prone both of the last 2 seasons.

Rivera
07-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Pacers are darkhorse favorites of the east. i have been begging for Indy to upgrade the PG position and they just got a solid fit that fits right into what they are doing, can play alongside oladipo

Pacers and Jazz are big winners this offseason

crewfan13
07-01-2019, 07:00 PM
He's a really nice player. It seems like an overpay, but you can say that about 75% of the contracts signed.

Brogdon is what he is and one of his strongest suits is that he knows and accepts who he is. He's a smart player. He's a good passer. He's a very good spot up shooter. He's a crafty finisher. He's a solid defender.

He's not a great shooter off the dribble. He's not going to come off a ton of screens to hit shots (eg he's not a JJ Redick type of shooter). While he's a good defender, he struggles with quickness if tasked with defending point guards in particular. I don't think he has much undiscovered upside.

I also think his 90/50/40 shooting season gets blown a bit out of proportion. While it's 100% factual that he shot those percentages, I do think it's a bit misrepresentative of the type of guy he is when the graphics are shown of the other guys who've done it. Despite shooting almost 43% from 3, he only finished like 120th on 3pt attempts per game and alot of his makes were classified as wide open.

He's not an other worldly shooter in all regards. He's really only a great shooter when set and spotting up. His shot takes time to get off as well. He's not going to hit a ton of pull up 3s. He's not getting a quick look off with a tiny bit of daylight. He'll find his spot, especially when others penetrate, and hell hit his shots if left open.

None of his downfalls are horrible. It's not a knock on him that he isn't a volume shooter. The fact he knows his role and plays it is great. But my hesitation would be if you're expecting him to carry an offense or create a bunch for others, even in spurts, or if you expect him increase his usage and maintain his efficiency, it's probably not going to happen. If you're cool with the guy he is, then he should be as advertised.

IndyRealist
07-01-2019, 08:02 PM
He's a really nice player. It seems like an overpay, but you can say that about 75% of the contracts signed.

Brogdon is what he is and one of his strongest suits is that he knows and accepts who he is. He's a smart player. He's a good passer. He's a very good spot up shooter. He's a crafty finisher. He's a solid defender.

He's not a great shooter off the dribble. He's not going to come off a ton of screens to hit shots (eg he's not a JJ Redick type of shooter). While he's a good defender, he struggles with quickness if tasked with defending point guards in particular. I don't think he has much undiscovered upside.

I also think his 90/50/40 shooting season gets blown a bit out of proportion. While it's 100% factual that he shot those percentages, I do think it's a bit misrepresentative of the type of guy he is when the graphics are shown of the other guys who've done it. Despite shooting almost 43% from 3, he only finished like 120th on 3pt attempts per game and alot of his makes were classified as wide open.

He's not an other worldly shooter in all regards. He's really only a great shooter when set and spotting up. His shot takes time to get off as well. He's not going to hit a ton of pull up 3s. He's not getting a quick look off with a tiny bit of daylight. He'll find his spot, especially when others penetrate, and hell hit his shots if left open.

None of his downfalls are horrible. It's not a knock on him that he isn't a volume shooter. The fact he knows his role and plays it is great. But my hesitation would be if you're expecting him to carry an offense or create a bunch for others, even in spurts, or if you expect him increase his usage and maintain his efficiency, it's probably not going to happen. If you're cool with the guy he is, then he should be as advertised.

I'm fine with him being a wide open catch and shoot only guy because that's what he'll be when Dipo gets back, and what our past two PGs have struggled with in their roles. At 6'5" he'll probably switch on SGs on defense, again once Dipo is back. It's just a question of where they'll be until December, and how long Dipo takes to get back to form.

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-03-2019, 09:47 AM
https://i.imgur.com/rl9v7tJ.png

Lights out shooter but better be completely wide open. Like 6' or more. That slow shooting release makes him pass up a ton of his shots.

ewing
08-03-2019, 12:34 PM
He did a nice job creating when Freek was getting locked up in the half court during the playoffs. He not a guy you want to depend on to do that every night but I also donít think he is just a catch and shoot guy. He is that plus he is crafty.

ewing
08-03-2019, 12:35 PM
Also extremely prone both of the last 2 seasons.

Foul prone?

buckalis
08-03-2019, 12:59 PM
I'm fine with him being a wide open catch and shoot only guy because that's what he'll be when Dipo gets back, and what our past two PGs have struggled with in their roles. At 6'5" he'll probably switch on SGs on defense, again once Dipo is back. It's just a question of where they'll be until December, and how long Dipo takes to get back to form.

The Pacers signed Brogdon because Darren Collison decided to retire, his role with the Pacers will be totally different than the roll he had with Bucks... Brogdon will spend almost his entire minutes playing PG with the Pacers (especially after Victor will be back), while it was no more than 25% of his minutes doing so with the Bucks and only before Hill joined... After Hill joined the Bucks, Brogdon's minutes at PG with the Bucks were reduced further...

One should take in mind that Brogdon isn't exactly the fastest PG in the league, nor his footwork excels... Bogdanovic remains practically not replaced in the Pacers roster and he was a key player in the rotation... T.J. Warren has undersized wingspan, which causes him to exhibit short length for a wing, basically the reason why he is a bad defender, but one shouldn't expect him to as productive as he was with the Suns anyway, given he will be easy to guard by the oversized wings that are in the East... The Pacers won't use Warren at 4 at all, he will be playing at 3 in what was basically Bojan's role (when Olandipo is in the roster) and that is a huge handicap in the roster by definition...

Scoots
08-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Foul prone?

No. He lays down a lot.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 01:47 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rl9v7tJ.png

Lights out shooter but better be completely wide open. Like 6' or more. That slow shooting release makes him pass up a ton of his shots.

Only that this is completely misleading... Brogdon has career 4.6 ast per 36, while Matthews has 1.4 and Korver 2.4... it couldn't be different, because Brogdon is a combo guard that can playmake, while both Matthews and Korver are 2/3 wings that can't do much other than shooting...

ewing
08-03-2019, 01:49 PM
No. He lays down a lot.

I still donít understand. What do you mean?

buckalis
08-03-2019, 01:58 PM
Foul prone?

He means that Brogdon is injury prone... Which isn't impossible given that he had an operation on his legs during his college days and then had long term leg injuries that kept him out 10 & 11 weeks happening in two consecutive seasons with the Bucks... But certainly isn't a proven fact (as of yet)... It may well be a coincidence...

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-03-2019, 02:18 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2566769/malcolm-brogdon

2016-17 75 games played.
2017-18 48 games played.
2018-19 64 games played.

75 games played isn't the worst. Ton of stars get days off for rest. But once you dip to 48 games and 64 games then paid a lot there should be some worries.

$20,000,000 $20,700,000 $21,700,000 $22,600,000

buckalis
08-03-2019, 02:57 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2566769/malcolm-brogdon

2016-17 75 games played.
2017-18 48 games played.
2018-19 64 games played.

75 games played isn't the worst. Ton of stars get days off for rest. But once you dip to 48 games and 64 games then paid a lot there should be some worries.

$20,000,000 $20,700,000 $21,700,000 $22,600,000

Yeah... one can't deny that "there should be worries"... but it should be only "worries" until it's proven and nothing is yet proven so that one can consider it a "fact"...

Scoots
08-03-2019, 03:56 PM
He means that Brogdon is injury prone... Which isn't impossible given that he had an operation on his legs during his college days and then had long term leg injuries that kept him out 10 & 11 weeks happening in two consecutive seasons with the Bucks... But certainly isn't a proven fact (as of yet)... It may well be a coincidence...

Interesting that you are a translator for that user.

buckalis
08-03-2019, 04:04 PM

I'm not a "translator" Mr. "king of trolls"... Ignor list (16th)

buckalis
08-03-2019, 05:51 PM
Damn it! That troll is a mod and I can't block him... I guess I'll have to suffer his trolling and just learn to ignore him like if he doesn't exist!

MILLERHIGHLIFE
08-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Only that this is completely misleading... Brogdon has career 4.6 ast per 36, while Matthews has 1.4 and Korver 2.4... it couldn't be different, because Brogdon is a combo guard that can playmake, while both Matthews and Korver are 2/3 wings that can't do much other than shooting...

Well he never averaged 36 per. Also reason he has 4.2ast 3.2ast 3.2ast for his three years is cause he has a slow release so gives it up if not wide open by at least 6'. Also was the starting PG a little bit before we traded for Bledsoe. Still not many assists. He just a slow plodding SG.

Playing at PG he will get burned by speedy PG's. Also the injuries mounted up. Glad we got a few picks for him and let the Pacers take the risk at paying him. He isn't worth $20M per. But tons of not worthy players got paid. Also Giannis got screwed over getting hockey assists cause Brogdon chickens out on shooting so then he passes it up again.

I expect more triple doubles from Giannis cause we got guys like Matthews and Korver that aren't scared to shoot it with a hand in the face. I liked Brogdon his rookie year but after the injuries piled up. Glad we didn't pay him. We had enough rough years of over paid guys that were always injured like Redd and Bogut then Parker.

Bucks new owners and GM don't stick with injury prone players long. Which is good. We renounced Parker and he's bounced around the league already and let Brogdon go in a sign and trade. If DDV doesn't turn it around heath wise he could be traded soon enough.

IndyRealist
08-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Again, it's very likely Dipo will guard PGs and Brogdon SGs. Our offense is build around Dipo and Turner. Brogdon is going to be the 4th or 5th option, he got paid because he does so much more than just score compare to someone like TJ Warren who only scores and does little else. He'll spend time at SG when he's in with Aaron Holiday or TJ McConnell.

We also have depth at PG. Missing 20 games is fine as long as it's regular season. Aaron Holiday is our 3rd PG and they think he's eventually going to be an all-star. Depth is not an issue.

Giannis94
08-05-2019, 03:43 PM

I'm still shocked you're a mod. Kinda illustrates just how much the site has fallen the last few years.

buckalis
08-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Again, it's very likely Dipo will guard PGs and Brogdon SGs. Our offense is build around Dipo and Turner. Brogdon is going to be the 4th or 5th option, he got paid because he does so much more than just score compare to someone like TJ Warren who only scores and does little else. He'll spend time at SG when he's in with Aaron Holiday or TJ McConnell.

We also have depth at PG. Missing 20 games is fine as long as it's regular season. Aaron Holiday is our 3rd PG and they think he's eventually going to be an all-star. Depth is not an issue.

I don't doubt that Malcom will prove very useful to the Pacers mate... But his actual use on offense is difficult for one to predict... It is obvious to me that the Pacers have in mind to change their game plan so that they'll always have two guards that can both playmake and pick and roll the ball with their bigs on the floor other than shoot, like the Bucks did last season...

Therefore don't try to predict the floor tactics based on last season... They'll test what is to be tested during the training camp and the coaching stuff will decide what suits them best... IMO, they'll miss Bogdanovic a lot... a great lot... It's not easy to play like the Bucks if you don't have Giannis on the floor... IMO Warren won't work well to your team, Lamb will to some extend, but Warren won't...

IndyRealist
08-05-2019, 04:28 PM
I don't doubt that Malcom will prove very useful to the Pacers mate... But his actual use on offense is difficult for one to predict... It is obvious to me that the Pacers have in mind to change their game plan so that they'll always have two guards that can both playmake and pick and roll the ball with their bigs on the floor other than shoot, like the Bucks did last season...

Therefore don't try to predict the floor tactics based on last season... They'll test what is to be tested during the training camp and the coaching stuff will decide what suits them best... IMO, they'll miss Bogdanovic a lot... a great lot... It's not easy to play like the Bucks if you don't have Giannis on the floor... IMO Warren won't work well to your team, Lamb will to some extend, but Warren won't...

No one's trying to "play like the Bucks", because no one else has Giannis. Brogdon should be a good fit next to Oladipo, but the offense is still built around Victor

buckalis
08-05-2019, 04:41 PM
No one's trying to "play like the Bucks", because no one else has Giannis. Brogdon should be a good fit next to Oladipo, but the offense is still built around Victor

Actually I won't be surprised if the Pacers will decide on Olandipo to spend many of his minutes at 3 after he comes back... I'm sure the Pacers will have completely different tactics than last season though...

buckalis
08-05-2019, 06:29 PM
Clearly, the decisive factor for the Pacers this season, will be Olandipo's return and Bogdanovic' departure...

One should factor that for a basketball player, a quadriceps torn is much worst than an ACL injury... Normally, Olandipo shouldn't be allowed to participate in any games this season until after the All Star break and then one shouldn't expect out of Olandipo to be back and be the same as before... In fact Victor may never be able again to perform in his previous status after this injury...

With that in mind, losing Bogdanovic in addition is too costly for the Pacers... Therefore one should look on the investment the Pacers did on Brogdon as well as the rest of the additions they made, more like a "change of plans" (kind of a rebuilt within the guards and wings) than an upgrade...