PDA

View Full Version : If KD wins a title with Brooklyn, does it change the public opinion of him?

redsox12
06-30-2019, 05:46 PM
So like my thread about Leonard's public opinion if he joined the lakers, KD signing with the Nets raised a similar question.

KD has taken a beating in the eyes of fans outside of GS. If KD can win a title without GS, and gives Brooklyn a title, will the fans that have called out KD gain some respect back for Durant? To use KD's words, if he comes back from injury,and wins, is he a superhero again?

IKnowHoops
06-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Of course

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 05:50 PM
I think so.

beasted86
06-30-2019, 05:51 PM
Possibly.

jd25213
06-30-2019, 05:55 PM
Also. Hanged the narrative on Golden Stateís dynasty. If they canít win another with KD, then they have only won one without him.

Hawkeye15
06-30-2019, 06:15 PM
His teammate will be Kyrie Irving, and Durant is likely never going to be the same level we saw before. So nope, they aint winning...

lakerfan85
06-30-2019, 06:28 PM
His teammate will be Kyrie Irving, and Durant is likely never going to be the same level we saw before. So nope, they aint winning...

This..

tredigs
06-30-2019, 06:30 PM

Ding.

Vee-Rex
06-30-2019, 06:34 PM

The word "if" is there.

Hawkeye15
06-30-2019, 06:37 PM
The word "if" is there.

No doubt, but if KD is 85% of whathe was, and Kyrie is Kyrie, they just aren't talented enough without big contributions elsewhere. And if Durant had even small clashes with Westy/Dray, he will with Irving too. But they have a window. I just don't see it. Irving has shown his hand, and his peak isn't near Westy peak, and KD didn't win **** with that. So why would he now?

crewfan13
06-30-2019, 06:39 PM
I dont think it changes anything. I don't actually think anyone has been of the opinion that he's not good enough to win per se, it's people hated the move he made. There's nothing he can do to change that.

I'm sure most or all of the Brooklyn fans will have a positive view in him, but I think to most fans of teams he isn't on, the opinion is that he sold out and kind of ruined the league for a few years. You can blame lebron or whoever you want for that trend, but it doesn't change the Durant narrative. He was one of the top 3 players in the game and joined a team that set the record for best regular season ever in his prime. That's always going to be true, no matter how many rings he wins.

Heediot
06-30-2019, 06:41 PM
No doubt, but if KD is 85% of whathe was, and Kyrie is Kyrie, they just aren't talented enough without big contributions elsewhere. And if Durant had even small clashes with Westy/Dray, he will with Irving too. But they have a window. I just don't see it. Irving has shown his hand, and his peak isn't near Westy peak, and KD didn't win **** with that. So why would he now?

If they can get a guy that can drive to the rim and kick the ball out to go with what they have you never know. Gotta see how deep they are to boot. The Big 3 is not good enough (talent wise including dj) but if they are well rounded and deep like Toronto was, they have a chance imo (barring health and the right complementary players).

Hawkeye15
06-30-2019, 06:51 PM
If they can get a guy that can drive to the rim and kick the ball out to go with what they have you never know. Gotta see how deep they are to boot. The Big 3 is not good enough (talent wise including dj) but if they are well rounded and deep like Toronto was, they have a chance imo (barring health and the right complementary players).

I will continue to pioneer no team with Kyrie wins it all. Lebron is the only guy able to contribute enough next to him for the equation to work, amd that was pre-Kyrie going toxic

Heediot
06-30-2019, 07:07 PM
I will continue to pioneer no team with Kyrie wins it all. Lebron is the only guy able to contribute enough next to him for the equation to work, amd that was pre-Kyrie going toxic

Meh.

Chemistry and depth are more of a concern to me. Play making is lacking IMO.

smith&wesson
06-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Levert, Dinwiddie, Harris, & Allen are a good supporting cast too

THE MTL
06-30-2019, 08:12 PM
If he wins in Brooklyn, yes his legacy would be saved.

SiteWolf
06-30-2019, 08:25 PM
Durant made his bed already. Where he sleeps next doesn't change that. The people that hated his move to the Warriors still will.

likemystylez
06-30-2019, 09:30 PM

His best chance to win more titles was likely with golden state

likemystylez
06-30-2019, 09:31 PM
If he wins in Brooklyn, yes his legacy would be saved.

well he teamed up with multiple guys to form a super team.... with the warriors he made his own decision, this is a weaker move

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 09:33 PM
well he teamed up with multiple guys to form a super team.... with the warriors he made his own decision, this is a weaker move

No way.

Saddletramp
06-30-2019, 10:29 PM
I dont think it changes anything. I don't actually think anyone has been of the opinion that he's not good enough to win per se, it's people hated the move he made. There's nothing he can do to change that.

I'm sure most or all of the Brooklyn fans will have a positive view in him, but I think to most fans of teams he isn't on, the opinion is that he sold out and kind of ruined the league for a few years. You can blame lebron or whoever you want for that trend, but it doesn't change the Durant narrative. He was one of the top 3 players in the game and joined a team that set the record for best regular season ever in his prime. That's always going to be true, no matter how many rings he wins.

Ding Ding.

Saddletramp
06-30-2019, 10:32 PM

Pfffffft. DAJ is now a third member to make a ďsuper team.Ē

:laugh: xinfinity

JAZZNC
07-01-2019, 07:24 AM

You are completely ****ing insane if you think this is a weaker move than joining GS.

TylerSL
07-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Yes absolutely. Lets call his signing with the Warriors what it was, a jump on the gravy train. It's undeniable that he made them better, but the Warriors were champions before him and they'll at least be very good after him. Nobody else can lose their best player and still compete. Leaving GS took guts from Durant, he chose Kyrie and that organization over a team that had been to 5 straight finals and a championship window that remained open. Personally, I don't think he o will win another title, but if he proves me wrong and does it will be absolutely tremendous for his legacy. On the flip side, if the Warriors win another championship again it will make him look that much worse. Then they would have won before him, with him, and after him. Making his titles even less relevant.

Scoots
07-02-2019, 02:16 AM
There will always be someone to hate on KD

cheetos185
07-02-2019, 08:30 AM
If KL goes back to West then he could win one otherwise if KL stays then nah.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

KnickNyKnick
07-02-2019, 09:02 AM
He has a small window in year 3 and 4 of his contract. But its not going to happen unless they add a 3rd guy. Which is a super team all over again. Would that be redeeming? I just dont think its going to happen the way that team is constructed ATM. But year 3 and 4 there could be some moves to put em over and atleast make the finals.

themadstork
07-02-2019, 09:07 AM
Durant could play well past this contract and has a very solid foundation and core in Brooklyn. The Nets are going to be formidable.

-Stork

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vallejo Raiders
07-02-2019, 06:05 PM
durant could play well past this contract and has a very solid foundation and core in brooklyn. The nets are going to be formidable.

-stork

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

legendary stork outside the raiders forum

mike_noodles
07-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I donít think it changes the perception of him. But I also donít think they can win a title. Irving isnít the right guy.

ewing
07-02-2019, 07:55 PM
In two years When he wrecks GS in the finals we will all know him and Kyrie are the ****

Wrigheyes4MVP
07-02-2019, 09:18 PM
If KD wins in Brooklyn, does it change the public opinion of him?

For some it won't, but for me it will. Right now, I put an asterisk next to both of his championships. He took the easy road and in that context, he's not a true champion to me. With that said, I know his talent is elite and at full health he might be the best player on the planet pound for pound. So, if he can win a championship or more than one away from that unfair Warriors team, that will be a big boost to his legacy as far as I'm concerned.

Nothing will change the fact that he's a ***** for taking the easy road and joining a 73 win team that didn't need him, but at least if he wins in Brooklyn he will prove his greatness as a player compared to the other all time greats.

likemystylez
07-03-2019, 10:03 AM
In two years When he wrecks GS in the finals we will all know him and Kyrie are the ****

IF GS gets back to the finals inside of 2 yrs.... thatd be an amazing achievement....

Durant may not even play in the finals though.... did you watch this yr? Even before he tore his achilles he was sitting out.

The real question is.... will brooklyn have durants back and care about putting the effort in to get him to the finals even when he isnt out there. The warriors players did that for him because they cared about giving hima chance at a ring. This next yr will be a good test. if the nets dont make the finals with him sitting out- then they dont care about him as much as his warriors team mates did.

MygirlhatesCod
07-03-2019, 11:18 AM
who tf is KD?

MygirlhatesCod
07-03-2019, 11:23 AM
for real tho he doesn't have anything else to prove. if someone doesn't like him its gonna stay that way. he is a proven champ and easily a top 10 ever player.
I wish him luck with that diva kyrie.

Vee-Rex
07-03-2019, 12:12 PM
KD the 2nd best player ever to wear a Warriors jersey feeling disrespected is just tragic.

SfgiantsJD3
07-03-2019, 12:29 PM
The good thing is the NY media and fans will be kind and understanding if he has a few off nights or is slow to recover.

mightybosstone
07-03-2019, 12:43 PM
I think a big part of this conversation has to do with what you think the public opinion of him is in the first place. Personally, I think the guys is already in that top 20 conversation all-time and will retire in that category. All of the talk in the world about how he joined up with the Warriors who he couldn't beat, yadda yadda yadda, doesn't really change that.

If anything, in the long run, joining Golden State probably helped his legacy quite a bit. If he doesn't do that, he probably retires ringless. Instead, he won two titles with two Finals MVPs, and the one finals the Warriors didn't win was the series in which he barely played. And regardless of what certain Warriors fans on this site might think, the dude showed he was the better, more clutch player over Curry when it mattered. Overall, I don't know how you could argue that the last three years haven't been a massive boon to his legacy.

So, for me, all the talk in the world about how he joined a historic team and road their coattails doesn't really matter and doesn't even ring all that true. Would winning a title in Brooklyn help his legacy? Of course it would. But the perception of the guy really doesn't change for meóyou need other talented players to win championships in the NBA. Period. Michael couldn't win without Scottie. Kobe couldn't win without Shaq or Gasol. Lebron couldn't win without Wade or Kyrie. And if Durant did end up winning a title in Brooklyn, he'd likely be doing it playing with the really talented players around him.

(And for the record, I'm DEFINITELY not a Durant fan. I hated his decision to play for Golden State as much as the next guy, but I also think the idea that his career and legacy is completely tarnished by that decision is totally absurd.)

Saddletramp
07-03-2019, 01:36 PM
IF GS gets back to the finals inside of 2 yrs.... thatd be an amazing achievement....

Durant may not even play in the finals though.... did you watch this yr? Even before he tore his achilles he was sitting out.

The real question is.... will brooklyn have durants back and care about putting the effort in to get him to the finals even when he isnt out there. The warriors players did that for him because they cared about giving hima chance at a ring. This next yr will be a good test. if the nets dont make the finals with him sitting out- then they dont care about him as much as his warriors team mates did.

You make it sound like itís every teamís decision to make it to the Finals or not. ď...care about putting the effort in to get him to the Finals even when he isnít out thereĒ?

Whatís wrong with you?

JAZZNC
07-03-2019, 02:30 PM

That's gotta be some of the dumbest **** I've ever read on this site. Congrats. You just keep proving you don't know squat about anything. So if they don't make the Finals they don't care? Ridiculous take. The Warriors only won one series without him. And it just so happened they got an absolutely perfect matchup in the WCF.

likemystylez
07-03-2019, 02:45 PM
You make it sound like itís every teamís decision to make it to the Finals or not. ď...care about putting the effort in to get him to the Finals even when he isnít out thereĒ?

Whatís wrong with you?

When KD comes back he probably wont initially be the same player. He might need to be under 30 min a night, might have to take a rest game every couple weeks or on the back end of back to backs.....if he wants to accomplish this domination of the league.... he is going to need the guys on his team to handle their business and hold down the fort when hes not there. His warriors team mates did that for him. They swept the conference finals to give him a chance to come back and win a ring.

Heck if they had a reasonably healthy thompson and cousins- they might have flat out won the ring without him.

mightybosstone
07-03-2019, 03:00 PM
When KD comes back he probably wont initially be the same player. He might need to be under 30 min a night, might have to take a rest game every couple weeks or on the back end of back to backs.....if he wants to accomplish this domination of the league.... he is going to need the guys on his team to handle their business and hold down the fort when hes not there. His warriors team mates did that for him. They swept the conference finals to give him a chance to come back and win a ring.

Heck if they had a reasonably healthy thompson and cousins- they might have flat out won the ring without him.

:laugh: You act like they did all of that solely because of Durantóto give him a chance to return to the starting lineup. Dude, that's their job! If someone goes on maternity/paternity leave at your job, do you keep working solely so your employer can stay open until that person gets back from their leave? Hell no. You do it because that's what you're paid to do.

The Warriors didn't play well and win those games solely to help Durant get back into the lineup. They did it because it was their job to play basketball well, and they're damn good at that job. Get out of here with this "caring enough to get to the Finals" nonsense. That's literally one of the worst sports takes I've ever heard.

ewing
07-03-2019, 03:09 PM
KD the 2nd best player ever to wear a Warriors jersey feeling disrespected is just tragic.

I always respected the fact that you were a Cavs fan even though I hated LeBron. I donít even hate Curry but I have no respect for these fake Warrior fans that are really only Curry fan boys

likemystylez
07-03-2019, 03:58 PM
:laugh: You act like they did all of that solely because of Durantóto give him a chance to return to the starting lineup. Dude, that's their job! If someone goes on maternity/paternity leave at your job, do you keep working solely so your employer can stay open until that person gets back from their leave? Hell no. You do it because that's what you're paid to do.

The Warriors didn't play well and win those games solely to help Durant get back into the lineup. They did it because it was their job to play basketball well, and they're damn good at that job. Get out of here with this "caring enough to get to the Finals" nonsense. That's literally one of the worst sports takes I've ever heard.

ok lets see if the nets players do their job and get durant to the finals in that situation. the warriors repeatedly said in post game pressers after the houston game 6 win, and through out the conference finals- they were trying to stay around so durant would have a chance to come back

mightybosstone
07-03-2019, 04:12 PM
ok lets see if the nets players do their job and get durant to the finals in that situation. the warriors repeatedly said in post game pressers after the houston game 6 win, and through out the conference finals- they were trying to stay around so durant would have a chance to come back

:confused: Dude, you're not getting it. It has NOTHING to do with "caring" about it or not. The Warriors had three future Hall of Famers in their primes on the roster without Durant. The Nets have one. The Warriors without Durant last season were a much, much better basketball team than the Nets are going to be with Durant this season. Are you seriously so dense that this concept eludes you?

Teams with more talent are more likely to get to the Finals than teams with less talent. Welcome to the world of professional sports!

Saddletramp
07-03-2019, 04:43 PM
This is the absolute dumbest conversation Iíve ever read about sports or maybe anything. And I doubt stylez even has a clue why. How can someone this ****ing dense about the simplest of situations stay alive in this world? Jesus H.

Chronz
07-04-2019, 04:49 AM

3rd best

Chronz
07-04-2019, 04:59 AM
KD is a man on a mission, he knows he needs to prove his greatness and that hes a true champion. Winning in BKN would for sure save his legacy, shame he got hurt and prolly wont be the same guy. His time to really move up the ranks has come and gone so in that sense, hes prolly ****ed. Had he won with any team other than a record breaking/championship caliber squad without him, he would be seen in even greater light, even if he only has 1 real ring instead of 2 meaningless rings. Thats why he robbed us and himself with his cowardly decision, shame it took him this long to grow some balls.