View Full Version : Damian Lillard 4 yr 196M super max extension w/ Blazers

LaVar Ball
06-30-2019, 02:26 PM
Shams Charania

Verified account

@ShamsCharania
2m2 minutes ago
More
Portland Trail Blazers star Damian Lillard is working toward agreement on a four-year, $196 million super maximum contract extension, league sources told @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
06-30-2019, 02:36 PM
holy crap, thats a lot of money

KobeOwnSU
06-30-2019, 02:44 PM
That’s almost 50 million a year! [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiteWolf
06-30-2019, 02:53 PM
ya know, a guy can live on that

TrueFan420
06-30-2019, 02:56 PM
ya know, a guy can live on that

Idk man that’s fairly close to pay check to pay check living.

Saddletramp
06-30-2019, 03:12 PM
That’s almost half of their cap. I hope money is more important than winning. I guess he has early round victories to savor moving forward.

NBA all the way
06-30-2019, 03:17 PM
That's insane. Blazers throw money around, that's for sure.

SiteWolf
06-30-2019, 04:01 PM
That’s almost half of their cap. I hope money is more important than winning. I guess he has early round victories to savor moving forward.

But if the Warriors do it, it's OK?
It's an extension...he still has 2 yrs left on his current deal

tredigs
06-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Well he's made it as far as the Harden-led Rockets ever have. I'm sure they're fairly happy with their results there. Competitive team every year under his leadership.

Pretty no-brainer for both sides here. If you're the Blazers and can offer the best player in your teams history the max while in his prime, you offer it. If you're 28 year old Dame, you take it.

Where I'm confused is how they're even able to offer him this now? He's still under contract for 2 more seasons. I guess you can lock players down for 6 years if they're currently on your team. So much minutia in the NBA CBA.

Heediot
06-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Well he's made it as far as the Harden-led Rockets ever have. I'm sure they're fairly happy with their results there. Competitive team every year under his leadership.

Pretty no-brainer for both sides here. If you're the Blazers and can offer the best player in your teams history the max while in his prime, you offer it. If you're 28 year old Dame, you take it.

Where I'm confused is how they're even able to offer him this now? He's still under contract for 2 more seasons. I guess you can lock players down for 6 years if they're currently on your team. So much minutia in the NBA CBA.

LMAO if you think he's better vs. Clyde. This era caters to ball handlers and pick n roll players.

With how inflated the numbers are for a lot the guards and wings. People are going to rank 20 of them over a guy like Clyde lol...

tredigs
06-30-2019, 05:50 PM
LMAO if you think he's better vs. Clyde. This era caters to ball handlers and pick n roll players.

With how inflated the numbers are for a lot the guards and wings. People are going to rank 20 of them over a guy like Clyde lol...

I actually didn't put any thought into it and wasn't thinking about Clyde. It's not a debate I care to have, but actually Lillard will go down right with Clyde. Very similar standings in their league.

valade16
07-01-2019, 09:59 AM
I actually didn't put any thought into it and wasn't thinking about Clyde. It's not a debate I care to have, but actually Lillard will go down right with Clyde. Very similar standings in their league.

Actually my buddies were having this conversation after his shot vs OKC. Is he the greatest Blazer ever? There are 3 candidates: Bill Walton, Clyde Drexler, Damian Lillard. I think if Lillard stays in Portland for the duration of his new contract and continues to have some measure of success (not even a championship), he'll go down as the Greatest Blazer ever pretty easily.

tredigs
07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
Actually my buddies were having this conversation after his shot vs OKC. Is he the greatest Blazer ever? There are 3 candidates: Bill Walton, Clyde Drexler, Damian Lillard. I think if Lillard stays in Portland for the duration of his new contract and continues to have some measure of success (not even a championship), he'll go down as the Greatest Blazer ever pretty easily.

Yeah Walton crossed my mind for '77 but it's just such a short peak I'd think Clyde eclipsed him. And yeah from the outside looking in I get the same sentiment for Lillard. His prime stats/accomplishments already match up. He just needs some more All Star years under his belt, which are coming. His impact on the fanbase is clearly huge also.

Clyde at his peak did have a few months there where he was great enough to spark a "Clyde>Jordan??" debate though. And granted MJ caught wind of that and made an example of Clyde accordingly, but it's still noteable.

valade16
07-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Yeah Walton crossed my mind for '77 but it's just such a short peak I'd think Clyde eclipsed him. And yeah from the outside looking in I get the same sentiment for Lillard. His prime stats/accomplishments already match up. He just needs some more All Star years under his belt, which are coming. His impact on the fanbase is clearly huge also.

Clyde at his peak did have a few months there where he was great enough to spark a "Clyde>Jordan??" debate though. And granted MJ caught wind of that and made an example of Clyde accordingly, but it's still noteable.

Part if it is context and their mindset. Clyde is a Houston guy. He went to University of Houston, was traded to the Rockets and won his title there, coached University of Houston, lives there and calls Houston his home. Walton is a total SoCal guy. Went to UCLA, always talks up the Lakers, lives there, etc.

Lillard has truly embraced Portland. He calls this place home, constantly talks about being here his whole career, etc. And that is huge to Blazers fans in an era where stars are forcing their way out of places to team up and win titles.

THE MTL
07-01-2019, 04:29 PM
I mean he's worth it but damn 50 mil per year. He could have given some money back in order to keep the flexibility of the team. And then in the next 2years he'll be the next disgruntled star because his team ain't competitive.

Heediot
07-01-2019, 04:40 PM
I mean he's worth it but damn 50 mil per year. He could have given some money back in order to keep the flexibility of the team. And then in the next 2years he'll be the next disgruntled star because his team ain't competitive.

$$$

Saddletramp
07-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Except for a year ago when he got swept in the first round versus a team who didn’t even make the playoffs this year. Don’t get me wrong, the team doesn’t want to lose him and he’s not turning down that money but if they’re still middling around and not getting past the hump and they’ll still have multiple holes to fill, his contract will definitely limit them. And doing it two years early? I get the small market teams have to do this sorta stuff (especially after what Aldridge did a few years ago) and the Blazers are in a better position then most small market teams but dang.

I just hope he doesn’t do any “I can’t get any help” talk that some of these guys say.

valade16
07-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Except for a year ago when he got swept in the first round versus a team who didn’t even make the playoffs this year. Don’t get me wrong, the team doesn’t want to lose him and he’s not turning down that money but if they’re still middling around and not getting past the hump and they’ll still have multiple holes to fill, his contract will definitely limit them. And doing it two years early? I get the small market teams have to do this sorta stuff (especially after what Aldridge did a few years ago) and the Blazers are in a better position then most small market teams but dang.

I just hope he doesn’t do any “I can’t get any help” talk that some of these guys say.

They have CJ and Nurkic signed to reasonable deals and thanks to Olshey we got rid of Leonard, Harkless and Turner’s contracts for 2 guys whose combined $44 mil in contracts expires mext year. They actually have decent flexibility to add salary until this new deal kicks in.

Heediot
07-01-2019, 06:29 PM
Clyde would be Derozan on roids in this era. He is way more skilled smoother handles and stroke.

He'd play more closely to how Derozan and Leonard do and these guys are putting up over 25 easily. I don't think it'd be hard for him to inflate his numbers with the modern game and rules.

Saddletramp
07-01-2019, 07:04 PM
They have CJ and Nurkic signed to reasonable deals and thanks to Olshey we got rid of Leonard, Harkless and Turner’s contracts for 2 guys whose combined $44 mil in contracts expires mext year. They actually have decent flexibility to add salary until this new deal kicks in.

I feel ya. Without doing any other moves, they’ll have $76 on the books for next year it looks like. McCollum and Nurkic will want to get paid, though, after that and then Lilliard’s deal kicks in. Since Allen passed, how’s ownership? Willing to spend?

valade16
07-01-2019, 07:13 PM
I feel ya. Without doing any other moves, they’ll have $76 on the books for next year it looks like. McCollum and Nurkic will want to get paid, though, after that and then Lilliard’s deal kicks in. Since Allen passed, how’s ownership? Willing to spend?

Allen spent whatever it took, so far the new ownership has seemed willing to spend but it’s early and who knows if that’s just because we already had an expensive roster or what. We’ll know soon enough if we start shedding our role players.

If Kawhi goes to the Lakers it’s a wrap, but if not, the Blazers could have a shot at the finals. Denver will improve, Utah improved, Houston is still dangerous, GS still has Curry/Klay (if healthy)/Dray, LAL would have Bron/AD, OKC with Westy/PG. But the Blazers would be right in the mix.

Of course if Kawhi goes to LA it’s injury or we’re never going lol

SiteWolf
07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
his annual salary doesn't hit $50mil until the last 2 years....basically 29/31/43/47 for the last 2 of his current and first 2 of his extension....who knows what the cap is in a couple years.....