PDA

View Full Version : Kemba Walker to sign with Boston, 4 years 141 mil

redsox12
06-29-2019, 05:00 PM
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1145068763345248258

I love the fit, and he should be a better leader than Kyrie.

aman_13
06-29-2019, 05:01 PM
Move my post here mods.

Cal827
06-29-2019, 05:07 PM
Excellent Move by Boston. Kemba's the hard worker without the Kyrie cancerous attitude. Don't get me wrong, he was one of many issues with Boston's locker room last year, but he was definitely the igniter. It's like another Isiah Thomas :laugh2:

Man, I really hope that the Nets don't risk everything and swap Russell for Kyrie.. The upside is likely not as good (unless they can get another star) and the risks for the team morale are quite high.

Also, time for the Hornets to have a firesale. They have some decent players on their roster, so it'll be interesting if a team or two call them and trade youth/draft capital in order to bolster a weak spot in their roster.

But yeah, as Aman said, isn't this tampering? Can anybody explain how this can essentially be a done deal before the free agency period?

redsox12
06-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Excellent Move by Boston. Kemba's the hard worker without the Kyrie cancerous attitude. Don't get me wrong, he was one of many issues with Boston's locker room last year, but he was definitely the igniter. It's like another Isiah Thomas :laugh2:

Man, I really hope that the Nets don't risk everything and swap Russell for Kyrie.. The upside is likely not as good (unless they can get another star) and the risks for the team morale are quite high.

Also, time for the Hornets to have a firesale. They have some decent players on their roster, so it'll be interesting if a team or two call them and trade youth/draft capital in order to bolster a weak spot in their roster.

But yeah, as Aman said, isn't this tampering? Can anybody explain how this can essentially be a done deal before the free agency period?

This is the same way as NFL also announces alot of big deals, right at the start of the deadline. It;s also alot more interesting than MLB right now when the biggest names wait until days before the season starts to finally sign.

PAOboston
06-29-2019, 05:17 PM
I am soooo pro Kemba. Good player and really good dude.

Cs legit wasted zero time replacing Irving.

Kemba is such a good fit for Stevens. They gonna play with way better pace next year. It will allow Brown and Tatum to finally get into transition. Cs putting a big emphasis on character/team guys based off their draft picks and the Kemba signing. The Cs are gonna be the scrappy, over achieving Cs again next year.

Also, third big name FA to sign in Boston over the past 4 years. The FAs donít want to come to Boston narrative can now be put to rest. Please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goingfor28
06-29-2019, 05:30 PM
Very good player, but not a max contract player imo. He's going to be wayyyyyy better than Kyrie for the Celtics though for sure.

aman_13
06-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Yeah i like the signing for the Celtics. Big year for Tatum and Brown. I think they both have a lot to prove.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-29-2019, 05:38 PM
Bostonís 3rd All Star PG in the past 4 seasons and 3rd Major FA signing

Time to work on the front court

redsox12
06-29-2019, 05:44 PM
It would be nice if that would change Horford's mind to come back.

tucksoe
06-29-2019, 05:56 PM
How dumb was Charlotte not to trade him last year

goingfor28
06-29-2019, 06:05 PM
How dumb was Charlotte not to trade him last yearVery. And they've wasted money on Batum, MKG, etc. Extremely well run organization.

bledrules
06-29-2019, 06:07 PM
MJ is obviously the greatest player of all time but as an exec not so much

Cal827
06-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Law of averages: For how good he was on the court, he is equally as bad in the FO

Ty Fast
06-29-2019, 07:05 PM
Very good player, but not a max contract player imo. He's going to be wayyyyyy better than Kyrie for the Celtics though for sure.

Most guys that get max deals in NBA are not max contract players

Ty Fast
06-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Bostonís 3rd All Star PG in the past 4 seasons and 3rd Major FA signing

Time to work on the front court

They say things happen in threes lol

smith&wesson
06-29-2019, 07:29 PM
Good signing by the Cs maybe Horford shoulda just stayed put

beasted86
06-29-2019, 07:48 PM
MJ is obviously the greatest player of all time but as an exec not so much

Needs to go with a completely hands off approach. His decision making sucks.

Vee-Rex
06-29-2019, 08:04 PM
I've always thought Kemba was underrated. And I know his DBPM has sucked for a couple years (not that it's a good stat anyway), but I've felt he has always been a better defender than Kyrie. He'll give a lot more effort on defense for sure.

He can play within a system a lot better and when he gets hot - he gets hot. I think he'll work out very well for the Celtics.

TylerSL
06-29-2019, 10:01 PM
This is fantastic for the Celtics. While it's true that Kyrie was disastrous for Boston's chemistry, the person who is most responsible for what happened to the Celtics last year was actually Danny Ainge. Boston had too many players playing at the same positions that they couldn't get anyone in a comfortable spot. That led to a lack of success which led to all the infighting and resentment from the players. It was a snowball effect that was created by a flawed roster. But getting Kemba gives the Celtics a fresh start without falling down several steps.

Boston now needs to hope that Butler wants to go Houston so they can get Capela from the Rockets. A starting 5 of Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Capela would be one of the best in the East. The fact that Philadelphia would also take a significant step back if Butler were to go to Houston is just icing. This is a good first step for the Celtics to wash their hands of last season.

Mr.B
06-29-2019, 10:39 PM
As a Mavs fan I would have liked him in Dallas but not for that price tag. I do like the fit in Boston though with Tatum and Brown.

So what is Bostonís plan with Terry Rozier?

More-Than-Most
06-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Less of a player then Kyrie but def better locker room guy... I think Jordan finally did the right thing... paying kemba over 200 million would have destroyed them for years to come.

redsox12
06-29-2019, 11:19 PM
As a Mavs fan I would have liked him in Dallas but not for that price tag. I do like the fit in Boston though with Tatum and Brown.

So what is Bostonís plan with Terry Rozier?

He gone.

goingfor28
06-29-2019, 11:21 PM
Most guys that get max deals in NBA are not max contract playersCorrect

Mr.B
06-30-2019, 12:13 AM
He gone.

Gone as in they have to renounce his rights? What about Marcus Smart? Whatís his status? Is he likely to get traded now for cap space?

redsox12
06-30-2019, 12:17 AM
Gone as in they have to renounce his rights? What about Marcus Smart? Whatís his status? Is he likely to get traded now for cap space?

I read they are probably renouncing Rozier's rights. I'm sure they will keep Smart though.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 08:27 AM
This is fantastic for the Celtics. While it's true that Kyrie was disastrous for Boston's chemistry, the person who is most responsible for what happened to the Celtics last year was actually Danny Ainge. Boston had too many players playing at the same positions that they couldn't get anyone in a comfortable spot. That led to a lack of success which led to all the infighting and resentment from the players. It was a snowball effect that was created by a flawed roster. But getting Kemba gives the Celtics a fresh start without falling down several steps.

Boston now needs to hope that Butler wants to go Houston so they can get Capela from the Rockets. A starting 5 of Kemba/Brown/Tatum/Hayward/Capela would be one of the best in the East. The fact that Philadelphia would also take a significant step back if Butler were to go to Houston is just icing. This is a good first step for the Celtics to wash their hands of last season.

I think Ainge should have recognized how disastrous Rozier was going to be as a backup. But otherwise, I blame Stevens mostly.

It seemed to me that the young guys resented adjusting their games for Kyrie and Hayward. And honestly, their reasoning is kind of sound... they just made the ECF the year before and were 4 minutes from ending Lebronís Finals streak. And guys like Brown/Tatum are high talent, high draft picks. Thereís this perception that Boston was some rag tag team of misfits but in reality it was a team of mostly high to mid first rounders. They had legit talent.

Now Kyrie came in and tried to do his thing. Hayward they tried to bring back into the fold. It changed how Boston played and it created a divide in the locker room. And Kyries reaction was turn into the same arrogant, condescending, crap teammate he has in Lebron. He would speak down on his teammates and say that they just didnít know how to win like he did. But the young guys seemed to be looking at him like ďwe won more last year than you have in your life as a teams best playerĒ.

At the end of the day, this ego and personality management falls on the coach IMO. Stevens needs to do a better job of keeping the young guysí egos in check. He needs to check Kyries attitude when heís talking down to teammates. Heís gotta manage the Hayward situation better so the team rallied behind his struggles and want to help him get better rather than resent him.

Rozier is the once placr I blame Ainge because it was clear the personality wasnít gonna work as a backup.

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 08:33 AM
On Kemba... I think the biggest thing is that heís just a DAWG. Thatís the type of team Boston was but they got away from it. I think Kemba will replace the skill set of Kyrie but also help preserve that DAWG mentality of just being hyper competitive and gritty.

I think Rozier will be addition by subtraction based on how his game fit with so many other ball handlers and how bad his attitude is towards coming off the bench.

I think Brown/ Tatum took some lumps next year but it sets them up to improve off that. I also think Hayward will be better in year 2 back from injury just common sense wise. How much isnít exactly clear but I think itís a no brainer to expect improvement to some degree.

Smart I expect to continue to be an all NBA defender, great playmaker and then hopefully continue his average shooting.

All in all, I really like the mix Boston has at the 1-3 spots next year. Issue will be the front court obviously,

hugepatsfan
06-30-2019, 10:50 AM
If the Horford to SAC talk for over $100M is true...

Let's say he signs for a year 1 salary of $25M. That's $107.5M over 4 years which is line with the rumored price. Give SAC Semi Ojeleye as well - $1.6M salary, solid back of the roster guy.

Bring CHA in for a S&T so instead of $12M in cap space and a room exception they can have a MLE plus all their bird rights plus a trade exception. Adds flexibility for them. Throw them some protected picks if needed.

BOS gets: Kemba on a max deal
SAC gets: Horford, Ojeleye
CHA gets: trade exception, maybe some picks

The $26.6M BOS is sending out would allow them to get Kemba via trade on his full max. Horford is signing for less than last year so BOS can count his full outgoing salary. CHA's trade exception wouldn't be for Kemba's current year salary because of S&T rules but it's still like $16M.

This allows BOS to stay over the cap and keep Marcus Morris's bird rights. Rozier too but can't imagine we want him back. It also lets us use the full MLE rather than a room exception. Would be a huge boost in flexibility.

CELTICS4LYFE
06-30-2019, 11:20 AM
I think Ainge should have recognized how disastrous Rozier was going to be as a backup. But otherwise, I blame Stevens mostly.

It seemed to me that the young guys resented adjusting their games for Kyrie and Hayward. And honestly, their reasoning is kind of sound... they just made the ECF the year before and were 4 minutes from ending Lebronís Finals streak. And guys like Brown/Tatum are high talent, high draft picks. Thereís this perception that Boston was some rag tag team of misfits but in reality it was a team of mostly high to mid first rounders. They had legit talent.

Now Kyrie came in and tried to do his thing. Hayward they tried to bring back into the fold. It changed how Boston played and it created a divide in the locker room. And Kyries reaction was turn into the same arrogant, condescending, crap teammate he has in Lebron. He would speak down on his teammates and say that they just didnít know how to win like he did. But the young guys seemed to be looking at him like ďwe won more last year than you have in your life as a teams best playerĒ.

At the end of the day, this ego and personality management falls on the coach IMO. Stevens needs to do a better job of keeping the young guysí egos in check. He needs to check Kyries attitude when heís talking down to teammates. Heís gotta manage the Hayward situation better so the team rallied behind his struggles and want to help him get better rather than resent him.

Rozier is the once placr I blame Ainge because it was clear the personality wasnít gonna work as a backup.

This is pretty easy to say now but NONE of us were saying it last year. We had all the pieces but they never fell into place due to MULTIPLE reasons, almost a perfect storm of problems.

I think the biggest one being no true leader on the team, Kyrie was a diva and pointed fingers, Horford was soft and didnít speak up (no one puts any blame on him), Hayward was still finding himself. Young guys werenít ready and Smart/Morris would rather push and punch than talk.

Stevens couldíve handle it better? Yeah but thatís a tough situation for a coach. 2 Allstars coming back into the fold on a stacked team. He HAD to try to work them back in during the regular season or we would be here saying ďOh Hayward didnít regain his form because Stevens didnít play himĒ

Blame Danny? Yeah I guess by default because he controls the roster but as GM he did a great job of loading the team with talent....which Iíd say was our second biggest issue was too much talent not enough role players. He couldnít predict Rozier was going to be full of himself and turn to a sour puss, but also couldíve traded him at the deadline. And at the same time, We just lost 2 all stars and still left with a team oozing with talent. Any other team with 2 allstars walking out is most likely headed towards the lotto. We still got lotto talant and regained and Allstar, letís fix up the front court with some role players(Would like Robin Lopez) and we right back in the east.

KobeOwnSU
06-30-2019, 11:51 AM
I like this for the Celtics. I think Kemba, Hayward, Tatum, and Brown got better together then what they had last year.