PDA

View Full Version : Clippers rumored to be the team to steal Al Horford from Celtics 4 yrs $112M

LaVar Ball
06-23-2019, 01:20 AM
@ONSmash: #NBA rumors: Clippers front runners to land Al Horford. Looking for a 4-year, $112M deal.

Bostonjorge
06-23-2019, 01:36 AM
If Horford is getting $112 then heís going to be a Clipper. Maybe Dallas offers a bit more but thatís a premium offer for his services.

goingfor28
06-23-2019, 01:53 AM
Only makes sense is Kawhi if going to LAC. If Kawhi stays in Toronto, no way LAC gives Horford that deal.

ManningToTyree
06-23-2019, 02:43 AM
Can they afford that and Leonard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beasted86
06-23-2019, 02:59 AM
Do they realize he's already 33?
That can't be real.

More-Than-Most
06-23-2019, 03:10 AM
Can they afford that and Leonard?

yup... they can sign 2 max spots

NBA all the way
06-23-2019, 09:14 AM
yup... they can sign 2 max spots

They only have $63 million in cap space, not taking into account any of their cap holds. That number could balloon up to $85 million if they find someone to take on the final year of Gallinari's contract.

Scoots
06-23-2019, 09:28 AM
TX taxes vs the horrible CA taxes could sell the deal. In the end that's a LOT of money.

Heediot
06-23-2019, 09:58 AM
Well the agent must know there is interest somehow... Seems like a lot of under the table talking otherwise.

IndyRealist
06-23-2019, 10:11 AM
They only have $63 million in cap space, not taking into account any of their cap holds. That number could balloon up to $85 million if they find someone to take on the final year of Gallinari's contract.

Assuming the deal is with raises, the first year is under $30M. They have room for a max on top of that. Not quite 2 max slots, but Horford's taking less. I'd guess because he knows who the max slot is going to.

GREATNESS ONE
06-23-2019, 10:19 AM
Lmfao :hope:

beasted86
06-23-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this as an overpay. Most I'd offer is $65M/3yrs. Again, the guy is 33 years old.

But I guess since its so early nobody thinks the amount is valid.

Chronz
06-23-2019, 11:46 AM
Not sure how I feel about this, I do think he will age as a quality starter but this is massive money. I do think you guys have generally underrated his impact the past couple of playoffs but I dont think he can sustain that level much longer. I'd be OK with this if we retain Zubac

smith&wesson
06-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Seems like something the Knicks would normally do

Bostonjorge
06-23-2019, 01:04 PM
Leonard and Horford will make the Clippers a true contender. If they Keep Beverly then they will have the best defense in the league. Harrell will benefit the most playing next to Horford.

hugepatsfan
06-23-2019, 01:14 PM
A 4 year, $122M contract with normal back loaded structure and the maximum allowed 5% annual raise would mean a year 1 starting salary of $26,046,512.

If I'm LAC I'm looking to trade Gallinari for an expiring making a little less money. Then stretch whoever it is they get. I think with he right maneuvering this should be possible:

Beverly
Gilgeous-Alexander / Lou
Kawhi / Shamet
Horford
Zubac / Harrell

Then they have the room exception and minimum contracts.

Eagles4Lyfe
06-23-2019, 01:44 PM
Hilarious how people keep thinking Kawhi is leaving us for the clippers :laugh: maybe 2 3 years from now once he's 30. But not yet. Have fun with a Butler or whatever type

Hawkeye15
06-23-2019, 03:42 PM
Not sure how I feel about this, I do think he will age as a quality starter but this is massive money. I do think you guys have generally underrated his impact the past couple of playoffs but I dont think he can sustain that level much longer. I'd be OK with this if we retain Zubac

I would not be okay with it. Regardless of how you think he will age, he will not be worth his salary moving forward. Horford is simply getting his last payday, I wouldn't want to be the doing giving it to him.

PAOboston
06-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Horford leaving hurts more than Kyrie. But I ainít even mad if that the deal heís gonna get. Dude deserves to ply for a contender and get a ring. Good player. Good professional. Good person. Heíd be a great add to the Clippers.

Lakers + Giants
06-23-2019, 05:13 PM
I would not be okay with it. Regardless of how you think he will age, he will not be worth his salary moving forward. Horford is simply getting his last payday, I wouldn't want to be the doing giving it to him.

This. Not worth at all. Hope the clippers do this.

KG2TB
06-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Beyond gross.

Jamiecballer
06-23-2019, 08:34 PM
This is a move I only do if Kawhi is on the way. If hes coming with Horford that team will take the title.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

NFLNBA
06-23-2019, 08:40 PM
Clipps are not offering this because they are confident KL is coming its because they could very well strike out in a FA they been waiting for. So they will have to overpay and this is a huge overpay for a 33 year old big man. Why would anyone chose the "other " team in LA that has a 25 year old AD and Lebron? Lakers will open up that other max slot. Clipps are stressing like krazy. Clipps seriously need to find their own city. They will always be the red headed stepchild. They can go be successful in San Diego.

tp13baby
06-23-2019, 11:07 PM
Clipps are not offering this because they are confident KL is coming its because they could very well strike out in a FA they been waiting for. So they will have to overpay and this is a huge overpay for a 33 year old big man. Why would anyone chose the "other " team in LA that has a 25 year old AD and Lebron? Lakers will open up that other max slot. Clipps are stressing like krazy. Clipps seriously need to find their own city. They will always be the red headed stepchild. They can go be successful in San Diego.

Yeah the way they have executed everything so far I put money you are full of ****.

Saddletramp
06-24-2019, 02:16 AM
Seems like something the Knicks would normally do

Nah, theyíll give him that same contract after his next one is through.

goingfor28
06-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Nah, theyíll give him that same contract after his next one is through.Lol

PropheticGeius
06-24-2019, 10:20 AM
LOL...

Good luck with that one Clips

smith&wesson
06-24-2019, 10:39 AM
This is a move I only do if Kawhi is on the way. If hes coming with Horford that team will take the title.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Siakam is better.

Horford is old man. signing a 34 year old to a 4 year contract at like 28 million a year is not a good look. heís averaging what 13&6 ? Whatís he putting up when heís 36-37-38 ??

smith&wesson
06-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Nah, theyíll give him that same contract after his next one is through.

Lol true 😆

lakers squad
06-24-2019, 10:50 AM
You can't blame him for wanting to get overpayed if he go's to the Clippers! 😆

DanG
06-24-2019, 11:01 AM
Horford is a nice player, however, why would Kawhi leave Toronto for him?

He'll be a 37 year old making nearly 30M per year. The guy is a 13/6 player already.

This can't be true, Jerry West knows better.

IndyRealist
06-24-2019, 11:23 AM

He'll be a 37 year old making nearly 30M per year. The guy is a 13/6 player already.

You have that backwards. Hypothetically, Kawhi is leaving for the Clippers, not for Horford. Horford is leaving Boston for Kawhi.

smith&wesson
06-24-2019, 11:58 AM
You can't blame him for wanting to get overpayed if he go's to the Clippers! 😆

I never blame the player ... theyíre gonna take as much the investors want to offer as they should.

Vee-Rex
06-24-2019, 02:27 PM
I'm not signing Horford for that much. 18-20 maybe, but only if Kawhi is already on the plane.

hugepatsfan
06-24-2019, 03:00 PM

Jerry West does know better than to stop his evaluation at 13-6.

He will consider how Horford spaces the floor to open things up for others from the 5 spot - rare skill set for that position.

He will consider how Horfordís ability to handle the ball and make smart decisions with it allows you to put smaller players in off ball motion to create open looks (as opposed to normal set up of a guard/wing having to handle and a plodding center only being able to set screens).

He will consider how Horfordís extreme defensive versatility to defend the rim but also guard wings on the perimeter makes him an asset in any and all matchups.

And he will consider how Horford is capable of taking on a bigger scoring role as needed (I.e. Bostonís playoff run without Kyrie).

Horford is a weak rebounder. Heís great to excellent at literally everything else.

smith&wesson
06-24-2019, 05:21 PM

He will consider how Horford spaces the floor to open things up for others from the 5 spot - rare skill set for that position.

He will consider how Horfordís ability to handle the ball and make smart decisions with it allows you to put smaller players in off ball motion to create open looks (as opposed to normal set up of a guard/wing having to handle and a plodding center only being able to set screens).

He will consider how Horfordís extreme defensive versatility to defend the rim but also guard wings on the perimeter makes him an asset in any and all matchups.

And he will consider how Horford is capable of taking on a bigger scoring role as needed (I.e. Bostonís playoff run without Kyrie).

Horford is a weak rebounder. Heís great to excellent at literally everything else.

The point was heís 34 and averaging 13&6. What will those number look like when heís 36,37,38 and making 28 million per ?

We all know his impact defensively and through his ball iq. Heís a nice player. But his age all big guarantees that itís going to be a bad contract.

beasted86
06-24-2019, 11:18 PM

Great at everything else? Scoring? Shotblocking?

Just think about the fact that he will make more per year than Jokic and Embiid for this suggested contract. Do you think he's better than them?

There's nobody that can convince me he's worth this much money.

goingfor28
06-24-2019, 11:28 PM

Just think about the fact that he will make more per year than Jokic and Embiid for this suggested contract. Do you think he's better than them?

There's nobody that can convince me he's worth this much money.Jacoby Ellsbury makes as much Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Luke Voit, Luis Severino, Gleyber Torres, James Paxton, Tommy Kahnle, Aaron Hicks and Dellin Betances combined.

**** happens.

bleedprple&gold
06-25-2019, 12:18 AM
Massive overpay. They will regret it before the ink dries.

Conquest8089
06-27-2019, 08:54 AM
FA Center market is loaded.

C Nikola Vucevic (28)
C Brook Lopez (31)
C Al Horford (33)- PO
C DeMarcus Cousins (29)
C Jonas Valanciunas (27)- PO
C Willie Cauley-Stein (26)- R
C Thomas Bryant (22)- R
C DeAndre Jordan (31)
C Maxi Kleber (27)- R
C Ivica Zubac (22)- R
C Dewayne Dedmon (30)
C Khem Birch (26)- R
C Enes Kanter (26)
C Ed Davis (30)
C Jordan Bell (24)- R
C Javale McGee (31)
C Kyle O'Quinn (29)
C Amir Johnson (32)

Look at the success Clippers got from Ivica Zubac & Montrez Harrell. One a rim runner & the other a traditional big. Paid both combined less than $10M.

Across the league mobility is key and teams with stationery Centers that can't switch on D or shoot offensively are readily available in trades.... Even some that excel in certain areas like Clint Capela are available despite being on a team friendly contract. It's a SMALL BALL era emphasizing perimeter play and 3 point shooting.

The smart team will sign a Richaun Holmes, Thomas Bryant, Maxi Kiebler, Ivica Zubac and pair 2 centers with different skillsets.

Intangibles are a huge factor in GMs coveting Horford as he was the veteran stabilizing piece on a young Celtics team and is a Defensive Leader.

Where will guys like Valacunias / DeAndre Jordan & even DeMarcus Cousins find big deals? The only 2 logical landing spots that have pressing need are the Pelicans, Grizzlies. Mavericks should go the discount route and focus on perimeter D, depth and shooting.

I'd much rather sign an interchangeable 4 type that can play Center in small ball lineups then add a cheap rim protector to stagger minutes. The one veteran that'll cash in as he's evolved his game perfectly to modern game is Brook Lopez. 31 Yrs Old, he shoots 3s proficiently, can still get it down in the post or pick & roll plus protects the rim. More of a drop defender than uber switchy guy. Certainly benefited from all the open looks he got wih Giannis / Brogdon / Middleton, but he's a player a young team like Memphis or New Orleans could really pair well with young PFs Zion & Jaren Jackson.

beasted86
06-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Jacoby Ellsbury makes as much Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Luke Voit, Luis Severino, Gleyber Torres, James Paxton, Tommy Kahnle, Aaron Hicks and Dellin Betances combined.

**** happens.

The fact I don't recognize one name from that list means they are either hockey or baseball players.

Anyway, I doubt Horford can "pick and choose" from a list of the teams willing to pay him this much money. As an agent, you just need to find one team dumb enough I guess.

Oakmont_4
06-27-2019, 08:43 PM

There's nobody that can convince me he's worth this much money.

No major league sport has their contracts ranked from best to worst based on talent. Thatís just a moronic comment. Players make more as they move towards their prime and then dip as they age again. Thatís how it works. It has to do with timing, need and opportunity more than anything. But to think the top 20 best players are all paid in order based on skill is completely idiotic.

beasted86
06-28-2019, 01:27 AM
No major league sport has their contracts ranked from best to worst based on talent. Thatís just a moronic comment. Players make more as they move towards their prime and then dip as they age again. Thatís how it works. It has to do with timing, need and opportunity more than anything. But to think the top 20 best players are all paid in order based on skill is completely idiotic.
So do you believe Horford will live up to this suggested contract if signed? If not then what's the point of your comment?

Oakmont_4
06-28-2019, 07:40 AM
So do you believe Horford will live up to this suggested contract if signed? If not then what's the point of your comment?

No I do not. But thatís not the point. The point is in order to get a Free Agent to come to your team you have to pay more to get them to leave. If LAC or DAL offered Horford the same as Boston - Horford is likely working on a new contract with Boston and not those teams.

The point is - teams very rarely pay fair value for Free Agents based on their talent/skill/age. They typically have to overpay. Itís called market value. Not player value. Itís how Free Agency works in all major sports.

Being worth that money and living up to that money are 2 different things. If signing a player for more than theyíre worth takes your team to your intended goal or is a major part of that - itís worth it. Even if the player is overpaid. I donít regret signing Horford to his initial contract even though he was overpaid on that one. The value he brought to the team was worth overpaying vs not having him.

beasted86
06-28-2019, 02:09 PM
No I do not. But thatís not the point. The point is in order to get a Free Agent to come to your team you have to pay more to get them to leave. If LAC or DAL offered Horford the same as Boston - Horford is likely working on a new contract with Boston and not those teams.

The point is - teams very rarely pay fair value for Free Agents based on their talent/skill/age. They typically have to overpay. Itís called market value. Not player value. Itís how Free Agency works in all major sports.

Being worth that money and living up to that money are 2 different things. If signing a player for more than theyíre worth takes your team to your intended goal or is a major part of that - itís worth it. Even if the player is overpaid. I donít regret signing Horford to his initial contract even though he was overpaid on that one. The value he brought to the team was worth overpaying vs not having him.

Ok, so what I'm suggesting is that the Clippers and any other potential free agent destinations should do a reasonable market analysis.

I'm saying he'd be getting paid more than guys who are full fledged superstars at the Center position and it's possible they are overpaying and should really reconsider his true market value.

What exactly was wrong with my comment considering I fully believe they would be the only team to offer a contract remotely close to this value?

Oakmont_4
06-28-2019, 04:48 PM
Ok, so what I'm suggesting is that the Clippers and any other potential free agent destinations should do a reasonable market analysis.

I'm saying he'd be getting paid more than guys who are full fledged superstars at the Center position and it's possible they are overpaying and should really reconsider his true market value.

What exactly was wrong with my comment considering I fully believe they would be the only team to offer a contract remotely close to this value?

The Celtics reportedly offered a contract 4/$18-20mil. Which works out to nearly $90mil. If LAC or DAL wants to lure him away from Boston they need to offer $100plus. This IS his market value. I donít get why youíre struggling with the concept - itís fairy straight forward.

futureman
06-28-2019, 05:49 PM
This is a mistake. He's almost past his prime at this point .

Chapin78
06-28-2019, 06:34 PM
Dear Clips,

Please sign Horford to that ridiculous contract.

Love,

Every other NBA team

beasted86
06-28-2019, 09:00 PM
The Celtics reportedly offered a contract 4/$18-20mil. Which works out to nearly $90mil. If LAC or DAL wants to lure him away from Boston they need to offer $100plus. This IS his market value. I donít get why youíre struggling with the concept - itís fairy straight forward.

Lol, might want to rethink the math you just did. If you see no difference I feel bad for you.

4yr/$80M is his market value. Not an exact duplicate of the contract he signed 3 years ago now 3 years older thinking he's worth the same 4yr/$113M.

Cracka2HI!
06-29-2019, 12:59 AM

Uhhh no it doesn't.

Cracka2HI!
06-29-2019, 01:02 AM
If the Clippers miss out on Kawhi which I think they will, I want them to stay away form Horford. I'd rather see them stay young and pick up players like Randle and Oubre on tradable contracts. I'm sort of feeling like Durant might be coming tho.

Oakmont_4
06-29-2019, 07:12 AM
Uhhh no it doesn't.

4 year deal starting at $20m with 8% yearly raises

Year 1 $20m
Year 2 $21.6m
Year 3 $23.33
Year 4 $25.19

Total $90.1m

Wow. Kids these days canít to math. Canít say Iím surprised. If it starts at $19m it would NEARLY be $90m as I said

Oakmont_4
06-29-2019, 07:16 AM
Lol, might want to rethink the math you just did. If you see no difference I feel bad for you.

4yr/$80M is his market value. Not an exact duplicate of the contract he signed 3 years ago now 3 years older thinking he's worth the same 4yr/$113M.

See above: learn math.

The cap has gone up since Horford signed that deal. Hence contracts go up as well. If the cap was where itís at now 3 years ago, his contract would have been even more 3 years ago.

You really struggle with economics and numbers

beasted86
06-29-2019, 08:04 AM
See above: learn math.

The cap has gone up since Horford signed that deal. Hence contracts go up as well. If the cap was where itís at now 3 years ago, his contract would have been even more 3 years ago.

You really struggle with economics and numbers

So the logical next step in negotiation in beating a $90M offer is to step it up $23M more. Ok.

Oakmont_4
06-29-2019, 09:16 AM
So the logical next step in negotiation in beating a $90M offer is to step it up $23M more. Ok.

Yeah. You donít change jobs for a $1/hr more. If you get a meaningful increase - yeah you change jobs. If the outside offer is only slightly more - youíre likely going to stay if you like where youíre at.

$23m more over 4 years is just under $6m a year. Thatís significant.

Heís not going to leave a place heís comfortable in and uproot his family for an extra $1m a year

This isnít a new concept. How are you still not understanding?

KobeOwnSU
06-29-2019, 11:14 AM
I hope the Clippers donít do this. This is horrible, they are better off building a deep team and competing that way because stars wonít go there unless they are past their primes.

beasted86
06-29-2019, 02:22 PM
Yeah. You donít change jobs for a $1/hr more. If you get a meaningful increase - yeah you change jobs. If the outside offer is only slightly more - youíre likely going to stay if you like where youíre at.

$23m more over 4 years is just under $6m a year. Thatís significant.

Heís not going to leave a place heís comfortable in and uproot his family for an extra $1m a year

This isnít a new concept. How are you still not understanding?
I don't expect anyone to eclipse $90M for Horford, and it's likely his agent floated this garbage story to drive up bidding.

Nobody is paying $30M+ to 37 yr old Horford.

Oakmont_4
06-29-2019, 03:26 PM
I don't expect anyone to eclipse $90M for Horford, and it's likely his agent floated this garbage story to drive up bidding.

Nobody is paying $30M+ to 37 yr old Horford.

Math still seems to evade you. The $100-112 million contract thatís been rumored wouldnít pay $30m. FYI.

Common core math is destroying this country. I can private tutor you if youíre willing to pay...

hugepatsfan
06-29-2019, 03:27 PM
SAC is supposedly hot after him. I wonder if BOS could convince them to help us with a S&T.

BOS gets: Kemba
Sac gets: Horford, Guerschon Yabusele, Semi Ojeleye, Cash to cover waiving Yabusele
CHA gets trade exception

Ojeleye is a nice cheap back of the roster piece that can play a bit if needed. SAC essentially gets him for free.

For BOS this lets us stay over the cap to re-sign Marcus Morris and possibly work out a S&T with Rozier.

Oakmont_4
06-29-2019, 03:29 PM
SAC is supposedly hot after him. I wonder if BOS could convince them to help us with a S&T.

BOS gets: Kemba
Sac gets: Horford, Guerschon Yabusele, Semi Ojeleye, Cash to cover waiving Yabusele
CHA gets trade exception

Ojeleye is a nice cheap back of the roster piece that can play a bit if needed. SAC essentially gets him for free.

For BOS this lets us stay over the cap to re-sign Marcus Morris and possibly work out a S&T with Rozier.

I like it. A nice $15m trade exception for Rozier would fit nice with a Capela trade

beasted86
06-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Math still seems to evade you. The $100-112 million contract thatís been rumored wouldnít pay $30m. FYI.

Common core math is destroying this country. I can private tutor you if youíre willing to pay...
Unless it's a flat contract with no raises, Horford will make $30M+.

4yr Contact w/5% raises
1) $26.00
2) $27.30
3) $28.66
4) $30.09

Total: $112.05