PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft Winners and Losers

Oakmont_4
06-21-2019, 06:47 AM
How’d your team do? Winner, loser or incomplete?

Pains me to say it but I don’t like what the Celtics did at all.

SG Romeo Langford. A SG who’s not good at shooting. Defends well and can get to the rim. He was injured with a thumb all last year which could play into his poor shooting numbers. Have to hope that’s the case here.

Grant Williams. Highly decorated but an undersized PF who has a strange body type. Not sure I see him transitioning to the NBA all that well. He put up numbers but the NBA is a different league

Carsen Edwards. I like this pick. Scoring PG but he’s a project. Won’t see much action year 1.

Trent Waters. Another PG. Hes very small but a true PG. Reminds me of Shane Larkin so expectations aren’t high but this is the kind of guy you get at 51. Could be a serviceable backup PG in a few years.

Overall. C-. Coming into the night expectations were high with 3 picks in round 1. Thought we’d atleast get 1 impact player but I don’t see it. Romeo Langford is the only guy I see logging any sort of relevant minutes year 1. We had a lot of holes to fill with Irving and Horford leaving and we didn’t fill any of them. Very down on this draft.

mike_noodles
06-21-2019, 08:13 AM
I think the Knicks are the biggest winners. RJ is gonna be great and there was word they were gonna pass on him.

SiteWolf
06-21-2019, 08:34 AM
hard enough to track which player ultimately ends up on which team, after the trading is done, let alone grade out the (Pelicans, Hawks) winners and (Wizards, Kings) losers

Oakmont_4
06-21-2019, 08:41 AM
I think the Knicks are the biggest winners. RJ is gonna be great and there was word they were gonna pass on him.

Not the biggest winners but hard to knock their pick. He was a top 3 player in the draft and they got him at 3.

They were trying to get back into the first round but failed to do so. Not going to knock that either but only adding 1 player to a team with many, many holes isn’t going to get you the best draft grade of all 30 teams.

I’ll give them an A-/B+

Rivera
06-21-2019, 08:42 AM
i love the kid Philly drafted. he seems like the perfect 3-D type, hes long as hell seems to have a great work ethic

how can you not love what the Hawks did? There potential starting 5 is crazy young

I dont know much about Jaxon Hayes, his early highlights reminded me of Javelle McGee. I wish they would have taken Cam. Easier transition for Zion and a shooter

My Magic took an injury risk. Potential high reward. Apparently he could have been in the discussion for top 5 before he tore his ACL

Blazers big winners here. Getting Nasir Little that late, the potential SF that has been eluding them, great pick up

Oakmont_4
06-21-2019, 08:52 AM
i love the kid Philly drafted. he seems like the perfect 3-D type, hes long as hell seems to have a great work ethic

how can you not love what the Hawks did? There potential starting 5 is crazy young

I dont know much about Jaxon Hayes, his early highlights reminded me of Javelle McGee. I wish they would have taken Cam. Easier transition for Zion and a shooter

My Magic took an injury risk. Potential high reward. Apparently he could have been in the discussion for top 5 before he tore his ACL

Blazers big winners here. Getting Nasir Little that late, the potential SF that has been eluding them, great pick up

Yeah I have NO and POR as the biggest draft night winners. Zion obviously speaks for himself. Hayes I’m not so high on but I think at the bare minimum he’s an athletic rim protector which is a nice pair with Zion. I thought they did well trading out of #4 and clearing more cap. They’ve had a nice offseason so far.

POR getting Little was a steal and a half. My freaking Celtics passed on him 3 times. That’ll bite them

WaDe03
06-21-2019, 08:59 AM
Heat are the biggest losers. Draft a player in the lottery with a role player ceiling and get a guy who was preseason top 5 pick with one of the highest potentials in the draft at 44 and trade him for garbage. Pat is washed!

More-Than-Most
06-21-2019, 09:29 AM
Heat are the biggest losers. Draft a player in the lottery with a role player ceiling and get a guy who was preseason top 5 pick with one of the highest potentials in the draft at 44 and trade him for garbage. Pat is washed!

i was legit excited for you guys when you drafted and stole him man... not even screwing with you... like by default even if he ends up terrible it was worth keeping him for potential alone. I just dont get it

IndyRealist
06-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Pacers say they got the next Jokic but with shot blocking, who should have gone in the lottery. I don't know Euros but they graded him as the 2nd best Euro in recent memory below Doncic.

Rivera
06-21-2019, 09:38 AM

I really think Herro was a big FU to Danny Ainge. supposedly, thats who the Cs wanted

WaDe03
06-21-2019, 09:53 AM
i was legit excited for you guys when you drafted and stole him man... not even screwing with you... like by default even if he ends up terrible it was worth keeping him for potential alone. I just dont get it

Yea makes literally no sense at all, like it was completely worth the gamble.

WaDe03
06-21-2019, 09:54 AM
I really think Herro was a big FU to Danny Ainge. supposedly, thats who the Cs wanted

Pat Riley is a **** so it wouldn’t surprise me.

hugepatsfan
06-21-2019, 11:32 AM
I don’t mind what BOS did. Not going to pretend to be an expert but from what I’ve read Langford as much more highly thought of going into the year. Supposedly the combination of a thumb injury and a bad supporting case hurt him. We’ve seen Ainge have success going beyond one college year. Avery Bradley and Jaylen Brown were guys that had bad college years but Ainge went back to HS tape and projections to write it off as bad situations. Both ended up being good to great picks I’d say. BOS is in a situation where we really need upside picks more than guys who just fill rotation spots and live up to their draft status so I don’t mind a little bit of a gamble on a guy who was rated much higher.

Now, Grant Williams is like the total opposite end of the spectrum. He’s a floor guy. Seems to have a good chance to be a rotation piece. Now, what I do like about him is that he’s got s bit of a unique ability to pass out of the front court. That’s a big part of Stevens’ offense. So I actually don’t mind taking a lower upside guy just because it is a later pick and he fits the system well.

The trade with PHO I like. Only took for so many rookies. And clearing Baynes and the rookie cap hold opened up valuable cap space now that were a cap team. Don’t mind moving the pick back a year.

The 2nd rounders are what they are. Not gonna waste time analyzing that.

Oefarmy2005
06-21-2019, 12:32 PM
I'll give my Wolves a C+. They clearly wanted Garland but had to settle for Culver, but should have drafted White. Nowell, the 2nd rounder, will be a good player but they could have had Bol Bol at 43. Basically, A for the effort and a D for the execution.

warfelg
06-21-2019, 12:50 PM
I'll give my Wolves a C+. They clearly wanted Garland but had to settle for Culver, but should have drafted White. Nowell, the 2nd rounder, will be a good player but they could have had Bol Bol at 43. Basically, A for the effort and a D for the execution.

Wouldn’t be the first time the Wolves passed done a better PG for a lesser prospect.

WaDe03
06-21-2019, 12:58 PM
Culver’s the better player and the Wolves are looking to move Wiggins so he could fill that role.

mightybosstone
06-21-2019, 01:28 PM

I haven't followed the draft like at all because the Rockets didn't have any picks, and I barely have bandwidth for sports right now as it is, but when I saw Jaxson Hayes get drafted that high, I did a double take.

Again, this is coming from someone with little to no knowledge of the prospects, but as someone who watched probably 8-10 UT basketball games last season, I have to think there were at least 10 guys better than Hayes. The guy's an elite defensive prospect—I get that. He's an excellent shot blocker, and the Longhorns were clearly better with him on the floor. But that dude could NEVER stay on the floor. He fouled more than any UT player I can remember from recent memory. Plus, he has essentially zero offensive game outside of 3 feet and he doesn't rebound remotely well enough for a player his size.

Oakmont_4
06-21-2019, 02:23 PM
I haven't followed the draft like at all because the Rockets didn't have any picks, and I barely have bandwidth for sports right now as it is, but when I saw Jaxson Hayes get drafted that high, I did a double take.

Again, this is coming from someone with little to no knowledge of the prospects, but as someone who watched probably 8-10 UT basketball games last season, I have to think there were at least 10 guys better than Hayes. The guy's an elite defensive prospect—I get that. He's an excellent shot blocker, and the Longhorns were clearly better with him on the floor. But that dude could NEVER stay on the floor. He fouled more than any UT player I can remember from recent memory. Plus, he has essentially zero offensive game outside of 3 feet and he doesn't rebound remotely well enough for a player his size.

Completely agree with your assessment of his play but I can see the appeal. Honestly this draft was loaded with players like Jaxson and players who were injured. To me the players selected 4-15 were all pretty much in the same boat. High upside, lots of question marks around them all. So I can’t really hate on the draft positioning because all those players are essentially interchangeable. Teams just pick based off need and fit (or should).

Hayes has a ton of upside. He’s barely played basketball. As a junior in HS he barely made the team. Then his next 2 years made massive leaps. So when you pick a guy like that you hope he can just keep making leaps with solid coaching and development. They’re not going to ask him to do much on offense at all. With Jrue, Ball, Ingram, and Zion he just needs to defend and protect the rim.

Best case scenario he turns into Tyson Chandler who was a similar prospect that made a nice career for himself.

Oefarmy2005
06-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Wouldn’t be the first time the Wolves passed done a better PG for a lesser prospect.

No argument there...

THE MTL
06-21-2019, 02:32 PM
The Knicks because of all the rumors that we weren't going to pick RJ

Rivera
06-21-2019, 03:20 PM

sounds like my Javelle McGee comparison was spot on :laugh2:

SiteWolf
06-21-2019, 06:20 PM

Name a team you couldn't say that about in their history.

And at the time (since it's an easy guess you're referring to the 2009 draft) a lot of people viewed Rubio as the better prospect over Curry....Flynn not so much, but still....hindsight is 20/20

beasted86
06-21-2019, 08:54 PM

Agreed. Miami has to be second to last only to those idiots in Phoenix as far draft grades.

rc33
06-22-2019, 01:34 PM

So are we to assume there were other players the Heat liked more than Herro at #13 but Riley chose to waste a lottery pick just to screw over a team that's not a rival and not even in the same division? Or maybe they actually like Herro and Pat Riley is a little more concerned with the well-being of the Miami Heat?

LeonFSU
06-22-2019, 03:14 PM
Agreed. Miami has to be second to last only to those idiots in Phoenix as far draft grades.

Yeah, it seems they could have moved back again to get Johnson, but I don’t think moving back for Saric was worth it in the first place. They must have wanted Garland and not liked White.

corky831
06-22-2019, 03:23 PM
I personally like the Celtics draft. Got Langford at 14 when he was the top rated SG out of HS. He's a high upside pick, and like some posters said, his freshman year is very similar to Avery Bradley's and Jaylen Brown's freshman years. Love the Carson Edward's pick and the Celtics saved money by trading out of the first for a first next year. I give them a solid B+

beasted86
06-22-2019, 03:58 PM
I personally like the Celtics draft. Got Langford at 14 when he was the top rated SG out of HS. He's a high upside pick, and like some posters said, his freshman year is very similar to Avery Bradley's and Jaylen Brown's freshman years. Love the Carson Edward's pick and the Celtics saved money by trading out of the first for a first next year. I give them a solid B+

Celtics did a fantastic job in the draft.

redsox12
06-22-2019, 04:31 PM
Atlanta, Memphis, and New Orleans easly win the draft.

Atlanta picks up two top talents in DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish revamping their lineup with

SG Hunter
PG Young
SF Reddish
PF Collins
C Len

You can even move Collins to C to play Huerter.

Memphis picked up two top ten worthy talents in Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke.

SG Bradley
PG Morant
SF Clarke
PF Jackson Jr
C ?

Ja, Clarke, and JJJ are great talents to lead Memphis to a new era.

New Orleans not even counting the players that came in the Davis trade got a big haul. Zion of course will get alot of attention. They also picked up Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker giving them a soild young core.

SG Holiday
PG Ball
SF Ingram
PF Zion
C Hayes

with Nickeil Alexander-Walker , Josh Hart, and Jahlil Okafor all off the bench.

Scoots
06-22-2019, 05:33 PM

I saw most UT games and I agree, but you explained it with the last two words of your post. He's a very good athlete with size. It's hard for people to get size out of their heads. If Carson Edwards was 4 inches taller he may have been a top 5 pick.