PDA

View Full Version : What If the NBA did away with the cap

More-Than-Most
06-18-2019, 01:05 AM
What type of deals would we actually be looking at? I know it would break the league because the top 7 teams would just buy up everything but what type of deals would we be looking at right now if the league was uncapped?

GREATNESS ONE
06-18-2019, 09:46 AM
Weíll find out next years cap at earliest June 30th, even though we all expect it to be 109 again.

Cal827
06-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Greatness One would have more than Just Kawhi in his sig :laugh2:

Oakmont_4
06-18-2019, 11:08 AM
You might as well only have 10 teams in major markets if they did that

GREATNESS ONE
06-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Greatness One would have more than Just Kawhi in his sig :laugh2:

:love:

Rivera
06-18-2019, 11:21 AM

this, before the start of the 2017 nba season 14 teams lost money before tv revenue. After TV revenue, out of the 14, 9 still lost money

wages would be down, especially those medium salary players

warfelg
06-18-2019, 11:50 AM

Pretty much this. Itís why the pre-merger NBA is kinda a joke.

Scoots
06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
I'd rather just hard cap the league and do away with all the exceptions, exemptions, maximums, and minimums.

The problem with both ideas is that the league absolutely won't do one, and the players won't do the other.

KG2TB
06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Wages down for medium / lower tier players would actually be a good thing. Although, no cap would not be.

Oakmont_4
06-18-2019, 02:32 PM
I'd rather just hard cap the league and do away with all the exceptions, exemptions, maximums, and minimums.

The problem with both ideas is that the league absolutely won't do one, and the players won't do the other.

If the players had better leadership and council (where the top players of the league werenít negotiating whatís best for them and not everyone else) I think you could sell a hard cap (with a higher salary cap and floor) to the players. With those conditions if done right and eliminating all of the exceptions/maximums you could gain better parity and keep the same amount of moneypool for the players. It would just be distributed differently.

IndyRealist
06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
If the players had better leadership and council (where the top players of the league werenít negotiating whatís best for them and not everyone else) I think you could sell a hard cap (with a higher salary cap and floor) to the players. With those conditions if done right and eliminating all of the exceptions/maximums you could gain better parity and keep the same amount of moneypool for the players. It would just be distributed differently.

Players voted to install supermax contracts taking money out of the hands of 430 players and giving it to 20 others.

Americans voted to cut their own benefits and give multi-billion dollar tax breaks to big companies.

Never trust masses of people to understand what they're giving away.

Oakmont_4
06-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Players voted to install supermax contracts taking money out of the hands of 430 players and giving it to 20 others.

Americans voted to cut their own benefits and give multi-billion dollar tax breaks to big companies.

Never trust masses of people to understand what they're giving away.

The players voted for representatives who then voted for that structure. They placed their futures in the hands of the wrong people.

Your second statement is off base as well but Iím not going to start a political discussion with you on these boards.

R. Johnson#3
06-18-2019, 03:30 PM
Kobe would come out of retirement.

IndyRealist
06-18-2019, 08:21 PM
The players voted for representatives who then voted for that structure. They placed their futures in the hands of the wrong people.

Your second statement is off base as well but Iím not going to start a political discussion with you on these boards.

You know full well that "voting" is shorthand for "voting for politicians running on those platforms", just like people say Democracy when they mean Democratic Republic.

Quinnsanity
06-18-2019, 10:09 PM

This. Just follow the NFL model. Teams really don't need to make hard choices with the soft cap.

Quinnsanity
06-18-2019, 10:11 PM

This is really important. Go look at the NBPA's executive council when the last CBA was ratified. Four of the seven members were LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Chris Paul and Carmelo. Of course they were going to look out for superstars.

warfelg
06-18-2019, 10:19 PM
This is really important. Go look at the NBPA's executive council when the last CBA was ratified. Four of the seven members were LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Chris Paul and Carmelo. Of course they were going to look out for superstars.

I've been saying this all along but sheeple gonna sheeple.

Scoots
06-18-2019, 10:19 PM

Yes, but.

goingfor28
06-19-2019, 01:15 AM

The problem with both ideas is that the league absolutely won't do one, and the players won't do the other.I like this

ManningToTyree
06-19-2019, 02:52 AM
The Knicks would become the 2000s Yankees backing up the brinks truck for any star available. Sounds good as a fan of the Knicks lol but horrible for the league. Small markets have a hard enough time obtaining and retaining elite talent now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastSportz
06-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Having no cap would give all the advantages to the big market teams. I think they should install a hard cap. Something like $130M and no team can cross the threshold no matter what. They need to be able to waive players without an financial repercussions for a team to get at that cap figure. Make the maximum roster size to 12 and two optional IR spots. Not many teams play all 15 of their players anyways and this would save them a few million. I highly doubt the players' union would agree on that though.

Scoots
06-19-2019, 02:02 PM
Having no cap would give all the advantages to the big market teams. I think they should install a hard cap. Something like $130M and no team can cross the threshold no matter what. They need to be able to waive players without an financial repercussions for a team to get at that cap figure. Make the maximum roster size to 12 and two optional IR spots. Not many teams play all 15 of their players anyways and this would save them a few million. I highly doubt the players' union would agree on that though.

The biggest issue there would likely be the 12 roster spots ... They are unlikely to agree to reduce the number of players in the NBA by 30%.

I'd rather go the other way, and increase the roster size to 20 with 5 being development players, and have injured players only count the vet minimum against the cap.