PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Time Redraft Round 1 - Team RR vs Get Buckets

valade16
06-15-2019, 09:46 PM
Every year members of PSD get together and have a draft of all the players throughout history. They are then ranked and seeded where a "playoff" determines the winner of the game. This is that playoff. Look over the two teams and vote on which team you think would win in a 7 games series.

Team RR (Homecourt advantage)

PG: Terry Porter | Fat Lever
SG: Paul George | Hersey Hawkins
SF: Tracy McGrady | Dale Ellis
PF: Draymond Green | Dave Cowens
C: Wilt Chamberlain | Nikola Jokic

vs.

Get Buckets

PG: Gary Payton | Jason Terry
SG: Michael Cooper | Allan Houston
SF: Paul Pierce | A.C. Green
PF: Spencer Haywood | Bob Pettit
C: Shaquille O'Neal | Horace Grant

Redrum187
06-16-2019, 01:36 AM
Team RR has the better constructed team centered around their respective star centers.

Terry Porter vs Gary Payton

While Gary Payton has the better career, Terry Porter will serve team RR exponentially better. Shaq and Wilt are going to need spacers to allow for them to dominate inside the paint. Payton is one of the greatest defensive guards in NBA history... but Porter will be playing more off-ball than on ball. His talent will be squandered chasing Porter on the perimeter without the ball. While Payton was a great defender, he was no 3 point sniper shooting only 34.3%. Porter on the other hand, was also a really good defender but shot 40% from 3. I question Payton's ability to play off ball to the degree Porter can. For this reason, Porter wins this match up in spite of having the inferior NBA career.

Paul George vs Michael Cooper

This is a tremendous advantage for team RR. Cooper averaged less than 1x 3 point make (0.9) shooting 36% in his 3 year prime. On the other hand, Paul George made over 3x 3 point shots shooting 40% in his 3 year prime. In addition to making more 3's on higher percentages, Paul George isn't just a 3D player in the way that Cooper is... He is a much better slasher and post-up player. Considering Paul George is 6'10 and Cooper is only 6'5, this may be problematic in key moments during their match up. Cooper is an ultra low volume 3D guy, averaging less than 10 points in his prime... George averaged 24.5 points in his prime.

Tracy McGrady vs Paul Pierce

In their respective 3-year peaks, McGrady averaged more points, more rebounds, more assists, more blocks, more steals, fewer turnovers, +8 higher VORP, higher 3-point shooting percentage and was astronomically more athletic than Pierce. McGrady will also be guarding Cooper in this match up to allow him to save his energy on offense. Paul Pierce doesn't get the luxury of relaxing on defense... In spite of not being as athletically quick, he's going to have to guard Tmac because he's just too much bigger than Payton and Cooper. This will cause Pierce's offensive stats to take a dip as he is forced to use his energy doing his best to contain McGrady. This is a clear win for team RR.

Draymond Green vs Spencer Haywood

Team RR welcomes Hayward taking 20+ shots to score 20+ points. Why wouldn't team RR want Hayward to take shots away from Shaq? Draymond Green is the perfect complimentary player next to their respective Center. Green shot a higher percentage from 3-point at the Power-Forward position than Get Bucket's starting Point-Guard (34.4%) in his 3 year prime. This provides 2 crucial things... More space for Wilt to work inside and not allow anyone to help Shaq on the inside, and this pulls Hayward out to the 3-point line which takes away any rebounding advantage he would have provided. Nevertheless, in spite of being a more perimeter/slashing type of Power-Foward, Green is much too quick for Hayward to cover effectively. Green is one of the best play-making Power-Forward in the history of the game and will expose Hayward. Draymond's skillset is perfect next to Porter, PG, and Tmac in that he can make the right pass to the open guy or the cutter/slasher or simply allowing Wilt to work in the post one-on-one. Perhaps the most important element Draymond brings to team RR is the fast-paced tempo that their team will be playing at. Having passers in all starting 5 positions means a fast-pace outlet pass for easy transition buckets. More possessions and a faster pace will be important to limiting Shaq and tiring him out. But that's for the next matchup. This is another team RR advantage.

Wilt Chamberlain vs Shaq O'Neal

Look, a case can easily be made that Wilt is superior to Shaq. Rather, lets just assume both are equal in terms of impact for the sake of argument. Wilt not only has the better supporting cast to help him thrive offensively, he was gifted with a skillset not even Shaq had. Shaq dominated bigs in a historically weak big NBA league. He was fat and out of shape but he didn't need to be in order to tear the league up. Wilt, on the other hand, was an athletic freak of nature. He could run faster, jump higher, pass better/make more players, and defend better than Shaq. We can debate on who is the superior player is, but we can't argue Wilt was better in all these particular aspects. Porter, PG, Tmac, Green, and Wilt are designed to up-tempo and be versatile offensively and defensively. Team Get Buckets doesn't have the same type of versatility or flow to enable their star players to thrive. Fat Shaq will tire out relatively quickly trying to cover Wilt in this tempo. I expect Shaq to still get his own against Wilt in this matchup, but ultimately, Wilt will prove to be too much for Shaq thanks to his supporting cast. Advantage, team RR again.

Bench

Look, I had team Get Buckets in my top 5... It's a very talent team. Nevertheless, his bench is absolute trash. Golden State Warrior's bench in these 2019 Finals could sub in and may even have more impact. Jokic alone is better than anyone on his bench. Team RR has 2 40%+ 3-point snipers on the bench and a backup PG who was a triple-double machine and shot a career 40% from 3 in the playoffs. Lever, Hawkins, and Cowens were great defenders in their day too, so it's not like the defense falls apart when they sub in. This match-up isn't close whatsoever. Advantage, team RR.

NYKalltheway
06-16-2019, 02:34 PM
Excellent series. But I have to say Buckets in 6.

Redrum187
06-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Excellent series. But I have to say Buckets in 6.

Thanks for the explanation and reasoning for disagreeing with the lengthy write-up.

Super.
06-16-2019, 05:45 PM
Buckets in 6

Dunkapolooza
06-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Love the write up redrum.

I wish you had addressed how you defend pick and rolls. Shaq is the greatest Shawn Kemp you can ask for right? And Porter taking that on is tough. I can't imagine him getting around Shaq all game. Solve that and that'll decide my vote.

Btw imo there is no debate. Wilt was a superior player. Physically he was the most freakish specimen basketball has ever seen. He was a more committed player. On d and in reb. More coachable, completely changing his style to suit new coaching systems and teammates. While wilt let west and gail Goodrich. Or hersey Hawkins have the spotlights in moments Shaq couldn't handle Penny's success. Had to leave Kobe because he was shining too bright. And only gave the reigns to Wade when he was physically breaking down.

Wilt was still a physical freak and in better shape when Shaq was on the magic lol.

Dunkapolooza
06-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Oh and Shaqs offense is not going to work on wilt like it did for him against the late 90s NBA. Wilt has 30lbs on ewing or Hakeem. And is stronger. He won't be able to shoulder his way to dunks. That one baby hook move is gonna get old against the Olympic level high jumping wilt.

Wilt has fade aways and an array of post moves.

Redrum187
06-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Love the write up redrum.

I wish you had addressed how you defend pick and rolls. Shaq is the greatest Shawn Kemp you can ask for right? And Porter taking that on is tough. I can't imagine him getting around Shaq all game. Solve that and that'll decide my vote.

Btw imo there is no debate. Wilt was a superior player. Physically he was the most freakish specimen basketball has ever seen. He was a more committed player. On d and in reb. More coachable, completely changing his style to suit new coaching systems and teammates. While wilt let west and gail Goodrich. Or hersey Hawkins have the spotlights in moments Shaq couldn't handle Penny's success. Had to leave Kobe because he was shining too bright. And only gave the reigns to Wade when he was physically breaking down.

Wilt was still a physical freak and in better shape when Shaq was on the magic lol.

Very excellent point. I have the proper players to exploit Shaq's inability to guard the pick and roll. Meanwhile, Wilt was athletic and quick enough to cover pick and rolls exponentially better on players. Shaq will be tired TRYING to defend the pick and roll, be fouled out, or just allow everyone easy buckets in the tempo I plan to run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWwLSgQQans

I will go further but will wait for a counter discussion from Get Buckets.

Dunkapolooza
06-16-2019, 07:48 PM
True to my word man. Makes sense to me

Dunkapolooza
06-16-2019, 07:51 PM
Shaq will definitely have his hands full on both ends of the court and you don't have to rely on wilt for points nearly as much. I think that says everything about the difference in firepower.

Quinnsanity
06-16-2019, 11:20 PM
I think this is RR by a fairly comfortable margin. Wilt is one of the few guys who doesn't get downgraded against Shaq.

mightybosstone
06-17-2019, 02:41 PM
This is a case where top end talent loses out to depth and balance for me. The Payton/Shaq/Pierce trio is sick, but I'm not loving the depth beyond that. Meanwhile, RR's team has great balance from top to bottom and no obvious weaknesses. They have excellent playmakers, good shooters and an excellent jack-of-all-trades defensive 4 to complement Wilt in the paint.

Plus, that bench is just disgusting from top to bottom. Having Cowens off the bench is pretty dope. Throw in your sharpshooter in Ellis, a playmaking big/matchup nightmare in Jokic and some versatile guards, and they can do a lot of things with their rotations that would make things tough for Buckets.

I do think Shaq would win the matchup with Wilt straight up in a seven-game series, but I look at the rest of the team around him and if he's not winning his matchup every night, are Payton and Paul Pierce enough to pick him up against a team that has so much roster versatility and so many guys who can beat you night in and night out? I just don't think they do.

RR in 7.

valade16
06-19-2019, 11:01 PM
Team RR wins