PDA

View Full Version : Wizards to offer Ujiri a spot in ownership?!

j-bay
06-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Leonsis is the guy who hopes to contact Ujiri at some point after the ongoing NBA Finals conclude about coming to Washington.

To replace the fired Ernie Grunfeld as the organization's President of Basketball Operations? Think bigger.

How about overseeing all of Monumental Sports & Entertainment, which includes Capital One Arena, the Washington Capitals and several other team properties, with personal compensation potentially reaching eight figures annually? Maybe an ownership stake in Monumental?

These are among the options in play for Leonsis multiple sources have told NBC Sports Washington, as the search for Grunfeld's replacement closes in on 10 weeks.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/wizards-could-repeat-jordan-playbook-bring-raptors-ujiri

warfelg
06-09-2019, 07:27 PM
stupid.

zn23
06-09-2019, 09:29 PM
Masai is pretty damn good, but that's really going overboard... I know the Wizards are desperate because of how Ernie wrecked the team with bad contracts, but this is going too far.

R. Johnson#3
06-09-2019, 09:40 PM
No! Stop it you pesky Wizards!

TO Rapz
06-09-2019, 11:09 PM
**** off

cmellofan15
06-09-2019, 11:24 PM
Hahahahahah how ****ing desperate can you get? I hope this is not true for the wizards sake, despite my love Masai

GREATNESS ONE
06-09-2019, 11:57 PM
Do it

mike_noodles
06-10-2019, 08:28 AM
If they do it, never never make a trade with the Wizards.

Cal827
06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Couple things here:

First of all, I can understand teams wanting to take pieces off a team that has a strong foundation set (Like Kawhi and Masai)... but I don't recall so much talk going on, as the team is STILL playing in the finals... Isn't that tampering too (until the team is done)? :laugh2: But I guess it's speculation so it just stays ahead of that fine line.

Second, isn't Masai still under contract... In 2016, he signed a multi-year extension with Toronto, but he already had 2 years on the deal... so that would take him to 2018 before the extension would take place. Doesn't anyone know the parameters in the contract? As in, does he have opt outs or other clauses? Or (if he were to want to go to washington), need an agreement with Toronto to get out from his extension (or a Wizards trade)?

Quinnsanity
06-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Couple things here:

First of all, I can understand teams wanting to take pieces off a team that has a strong foundation set (Like Kawhi and Masai)... but I don't recall so much talk going on, as the team is STILL playing in the finals... Isn't that tampering too (until the team is done)? :laugh2: But I guess it's speculation so it just stays ahead of that fine line.

Second, isn't Masai still under contract... In 2016, he signed a multi-year extension with Toronto, but he already had 2 years on the deal... so that would take him to 2018 before the extension would take place. Doesn't anyone know the parameters in the contract? As in, does he have opt outs or other clauses? Or (if he were to want to go to washington), need an agreement with Toronto to get out from his extension (or a Wizards trade)?

Executive contracts and player contracts are very different. Typically, teams allow executives to negotiate with other teams freely. I can't think of a single instance in which a team wanted to interview another team's executive, regardless of their present title, and was denied. The flip side is that executives rarely ditch their original teams for new ones because of all of the other things that go into that job. It's not like they can migrate their entire staffs. They've spent years building an entire organization, and don't want to start from scratch elsewhere unless they have either a personal attachment to another team/city or if the new team is offering a substantially bigger contract. So for the most part, teams allow their execs to speak with other teams, but such situations are usually resolved with a new contract from the incumbent team.

formula101
06-12-2019, 07:05 PM
He should stay with his boi Kawhi. And his uncle, Dennis.

ChongInc.
06-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Couple things here:

I wouldn't even do masai for Beal.

It starts from the top.

mike_noodles
06-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Executive contracts and player contracts are very different. Typically, teams allow executives to negotiate with other teams freely. I can't think of a single instance in which a team wanted to interview another team's executive, regardless of their present title, and was denied. The flip side is that executives rarely ditch their original teams for new ones because of all of the other things that go into that job. It's not like they can migrate their entire staffs. They've spent years building an entire organization, and don't want to start from scratch elsewhere unless they have either a personal attachment to another team/city or if the new team is offering a substantially bigger contract. So for the most part, teams allow their execs to speak with other teams, but such situations are usually resolved with a new contract from the incumbent team.

Toronto was denied several times from talking to Masai. You absolutely have to be granted permission while under contract. Generally if it's for a lateral move it's not allowed but for a promotion it would be. Tim Leiweke was very persistent about asking permission from Denver to talk to Masai and eventually was allowed and then things came together. But to be honest, I can't ever remember compensation in the NBA for management.

j-bay
06-14-2019, 08:35 AM
@wojespn
ESPN Sources: The Washington Wizards are preparing to make a prolific offer to Toronto's championship architect Masai Ujiri -- as much as $10M annually -- to run its basketball operations.

@davidaldridgedc
As @FredKatz reported for @TheAthleticDC June 5, "Sources from around the NBA believe the team is waiting on Raptors president Masai Ujiri...The Wizards are most likely waiting until after the NBA Finals to do so." Those sources believe Wiz will offer Ujiri up to six years/$60M.

j-bay
06-14-2019, 08:40 AM
The Washington Wizards are preparing to offer Toronto Raptors president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri a deal that could approach $10 million annually and deliver him the opportunity for ownership equity, league sources tell ESPN.

Wizards owner Ted Leonsis is expected to reach out to Toronto ownership soon to request formal permission to meet with Ujiri and offer a staggering financial package that would include running the Wizards' basketball operations and, perhaps, taking on a larger leadership role in the Monumental Sports and Entertainment company that oversees the Wizards and NHL's Capitals, league sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26969432/wizards-preparing-prolific-offer-ujiri

Quinnsanity
06-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Toronto was denied several times from talking to Masai. You absolutely have to be granted permission while under contract. Generally if it's for a lateral move it's not allowed but for a promotion it would be. Tim Leiweke was very persistent about asking permission from Denver to talk to Masai and eventually was allowed and then things came together. But to be honest, I can't ever remember compensation in the NBA for management.

Yes, permission is needed. But it's granted far more often than it isn't. Daryl Morey had permission to speak with Philly last year. Tim Connelley spoke with Washington this year. Yes, there are occasions in which it isn't. But for the most part, it is because owners don't want to risk pissing off their star GMs by holding them hostage. So for the most part, they allow them to speak to other teams and then just give them a raise and call it a day.

j-bay
06-14-2019, 10:08 AM
People are talking about the reasons he wouldn't leave Toronto. Now lets talk about the reasons he would.

1.Ownership Stake.
2.He has political aspirations. What better place than Washington DC.
3.Basketball without Borders program would be a better fit in DC
4.His Wife is from DC.

warfelg
06-14-2019, 10:15 AM
Only one of those 4 that really operate Will is wife is from DC.

ThomasTomasz
06-14-2019, 05:04 PM
Couple things here:

If Washington is offering him a share of ownership equity, plus the ability to run things on the Monumental Sports end- which they plan to- then the Raptors would need to offer him something similar in return because this would most certainly be considered a promotion.

ThomasTomasz
06-14-2019, 05:09 PM

The other negative for Ujiri is what the Orioles experienced last year with hiring Mike Elias as their GM- they've waited until the very end to make this offer. Most other teams have filled coaching vacancies, made front office hirings/firings/promotions, etc. So he's not going to really be able to make a lot of impact hires for year one, and is going to go with a lot of the people already in-house except for the few positions he deems critical. Elias really only hired about 3-4 people in high positions to assist him, and as contracts expired, he really took on a lot of the work himself, and is planning to fill those positions at the end of the MLB season when it's the normal hiring period.

aman_13
06-14-2019, 05:54 PM
Not going to happen. Larry Tanenbaum already said he's not going anywhere. MLSE is very aware of what is going on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

aman_13
06-14-2019, 05:59 PM
I mean sure it could happen, I shouldn't say that but I will say unlikely.

j-bay
06-16-2019, 10:37 AM
Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States, is trying to persuade Ujiri to leave the NBA champions to join the Wizards, according to The Athletic's Ethan Strauss.

"I hear Barack Obama's a part of that whole Masai recruitment to D.C.," Strauss said on a recent episode of the "Back To Back" podcast. "I've heard Obama wants Masai in D.C. Obama wants to do something with basketball."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/report-suggests-barack-obama-trying-recruit-masai-ujiri-wizards

mike_noodles
06-16-2019, 02:27 PM
He's a criminal now, no place for him in DC, let him rot in Toronto ;)

aman_13
06-16-2019, 02:38 PM
Isn't Obama from Chicago and a Bulls fan?

Why would he recruit for the Wizards?

Btw, it's crazy how little we talk about the Bulls considering their market size and all.

Rivera
06-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Isn't Obama from Chicago and a Bulls fan?

Why would he recruit for the Wizards?

Btw, it's crazy how little we talk about the Bulls considering their market size and all.

if im not mistaken, Obama lives in the DC arena now, if he wants to be involved, thats the easiest place for him to be involved

me assuming: its much easier for Obama to work in DC with the ownership structure the Wiz have then Obama trying to work for the Bulls and that current ownership structure