PDA

View Full Version : 2019 top recruit to play in New Zealand over NCAA

warfelg
05-28-2019, 09:20 AM

TheDish87
05-28-2019, 10:00 AM
so dumb. this has yet to work out for anyone.

crewfan13
05-28-2019, 10:08 AM
I mean, like two guys have done it and those guys were flawed players to an extent. There's plenty of top recruits who went to college and didnt pan out either. It'll be interesting to see how he performs and what type of role he gets. I think part of the problem with say Brandon Jennings doing this was that he really didn't get a great role. If Hampton gets himself plenty of PT and a nice role, it could work out well.

ewing
05-28-2019, 10:16 AM
so dumb. this has yet to work out for anyone.

Sure it did. Jenning got paid over seas and still went 10 overall. Do you think he would have gone higher or been better if he played a year in college instead? Muiday stinks at basketball and he went 7 overall. I think he would have only exposed himself in college. not being seen worked out well for him

TheDish87
05-28-2019, 10:27 AM
add Jermey Tyler to that list as well and none of that were good. Jennings was just too dumb to get into USC though so he was kinda forced overseas.

PAOboston
05-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Good for him. Gets paid and gets limited tape/coverage where his game doesnt get picked apart like they do to top NCAA recruits. More players should do this with Chinese League etc. it might not matter much longer with the draft rules changing again to accommodate for high school recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warfelg
05-28-2019, 10:42 AM
The downside to doing this is those teams don't care to develop you. Not that NCAA does anymore either.

cmellofan15
05-28-2019, 10:54 AM
Get that $$$ young man. no need to let the NCAA pimp you out when there's other options nowadays

TheDish87
05-28-2019, 11:33 AM
starring in the ncaa is how you get big endorsements and recognition. no one in Australia is gonna give a **** about his kid

Scoots
05-28-2019, 11:45 AM
The downside to doing this is those teams don't care to develop you. Not that NCAA does anymore either.

This is the question I still have with the g-league model of players going straight from high school. If they go to the g-league and then back into the draft what is the incentive for the g-league team to develop them?

The Warriors were criticized for blatantly hiding a developmental player this year, and the rumor is that they plan to draft him in the 2nd round this year.

cmellofan15
05-28-2019, 11:46 AM
starring in the ncaa is how you get big endorsements and recognition.

Tell that Giannis, Embiid, Luka, etc.

no one in Australia is gonna give a **** about his kid

Played for a summer overseas (Italy) my junior year of high school. Ask anyone who's had the chance, they LOOOOVVVEE American basketball players overseas and treat you like ****ing celebrity

Scoots
05-28-2019, 11:46 AM
starring in the ncaa is how you get big endorsements and recognition. no one in Australia is gonna give a **** about his kid

Starring in the NBA is WAY WAY WAY more important than anything in NCAA.

crewfan13
05-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Starring in the NBA is WAY WAY WAY more important than anything in NCAA.

Exactly, outside a few examples, like zion, guys aren't coming out of the NCAA with all these massive endorsement deals. Situation matters some. Morant will instantly be a face of Memphis just because they don't have much else, but guys like hunter and Culver aren't just automatically coming into the nba with tons of endorsements because of the ncaa.

warfelg
05-28-2019, 01:11 PM
This is the question I still have with the g-league model of players going straight from high school. If they go to the g-league and then back into the draft what is the incentive for the g-league team to develop them?

The Warriors were criticized for blatantly hiding a developmental player this year, and the rumor is that they plan to draft him in the 2nd round this year.

Which is why if they chose to do that they should be drafted, required to stay a set time, and every team have an affiliate.

TheDish87
05-28-2019, 01:28 PM

Played for a summer overseas (Italy) my junior year of high school. Ask anyone who's had the chance, they LOOOOVVVEE American basketball players overseas and treat you like ****ing celebrity

Embiid went to Kansas. Not sure what deals Luka gas though.

i have 0 doubt they will be loved but i meant more thee teams arent gonna care about his minutes or development or anything. i always imagined the intl players hate seeing Americans come over to their leagues.

TheDish87
05-28-2019, 01:30 PM
i have always viewed this as i would much rather learn from a great coach, be the man on a major campus, still get to travel plenty, play on national TV, etc, etc. hope it works out for the kid but its a big risk. are there contract details?

tp13baby
05-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Friends played overseas for their pro career and hated it. Must of had a blessed situation.

beasted86
05-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Get to make money, get to live in a new place for a year and experience culture outside of the USA...

This man out here living his best life.

TheDish87
05-29-2019, 08:56 AM
so its a 1 year 800k contract with a 750k buyout from the team who drafts him. its nice getting money now but the goal has to be longevity and being able to earn multiple contracts that arent at the league min.

MygirlhatesCod
05-29-2019, 09:39 AM
this is great news! options besides being used and exploited for nothing should be used. hopefully the g-league will take over and be the jump off in the future.

Scoots
05-29-2019, 10:40 AM
this is great news! options besides being used and exploited for nothing should be used. hopefully the g-league will take over and be the jump off in the future.

The issue with the g-league plans I had heard was that kids would be in the g-league for one team then re-enter the draft, and that just means that those NBA teams will have no motivation to have their g-league teams develop or showcase the player for the rest of the NBA.

IndyRealist
05-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Using Brandon Jennings as a cautionary tale presumes that he would have been a good player if he had gone to college. That is unlikley to be true. One and dones don't seem to be any more prepared than high schoolers were.

Scoots
05-29-2019, 12:37 PM
Using Brandon Jennings as a cautionary tale presumes that he would have been a good player if he had gone to college. That is unlikley to be true. One and dones don't seem to be any more prepared than high schoolers were.

They are someone more prepared but that doesn't keep them from failing anyhow. The big thing for the NBA is that the NBA gets another year of much more robust data on them before investing millions.

ManRam
05-29-2019, 01:04 PM
Yep. Better to be paid than exploited. Get that money! Prospects don't always pan out. Everyone's always one freak injury away from having their career ruined. $800K is a nice chunk of change for an 18 year old. He's being very honest about how his only goal is to make it to the NBA. If it doesn't pan out you can always go back to school later. He gets it.

And Brandon Jennings' success or lack thereof literally does not tell us one thing about Hampton's future. Nothing at all. (Not to mention he made $40M+ in his playing career).

Hustla23
05-29-2019, 01:36 PM
Hopefully "college sports" becomes purely recreational ala high school sports sometime in the future.

IndyRealist
05-29-2019, 01:49 PM
Hopefully "college sports" becomes purely recreational ala high school sports sometime in the future.

High school sports are most definitely not recreational in Texas. Probably not middle school either.

crewfan13
05-29-2019, 02:25 PM
High school sports are most definitely not recreational in Texas. Probably not middle school either.

Honestly thats virtually everywhere. No doubt Texas is one of the most competitive, but I live in rural WI and it's gotten plenty bad here too. Unless you go to very small schools, you specialize at a young age and are expected to basically have a year round commitment to that sport. It's gotten quite sad.

crewfan13
05-29-2019, 02:30 PM
Yep. Better to be paid than exploited. Get that money! Prospects don't always pan out. Everyone's always one freak injury away from having their career ruined. $800K is a nice chunk of change for an 18 year old. He's being very honest about how his only goal is to make it to the NBA. If it doesn't pan out you can always go back to school later. He gets it.

And Brandon Jennings' success or lack thereof literally does not tell us one thing about Hampton's future. Nothing at all. (Not to mention he made $40M+ in his playing career).

An d to be honest, if he really wants to, he can focus on his game at least a little more than some college kids. One and dones at least have to go to class long enough to stay eligible. And while they have "tutors" and take easy classes, it's still a time commitment that this kid won't have. Obviously there can still be distractions where he's at, but it does free him up to really focus on hoops without the facade of school if that's truly his goal.

rocket
05-30-2019, 12:21 AM
i was gonna say why not just go to the NBA but then i forgot about that dumb rule

a High Schooler that stayed back an extra year is entering the draft... Jalen Leque

beasted86
05-30-2019, 03:26 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/RJ-Hampton-pro-deal-New-Zealand-Breakers-132369179/

Five-star senior guard RJ Hampton is bypassing college and has agreed to a professional deal with the New Zealand Breakers of the NBL, his father Rod Hampton told 247Sports.

"I think hes ready, thats why we werent going back to high school," Hampton said. "Its never been a dream of his to play college basketball, its been a dream of his to use college basketball as a vehicle to get to the NBA. ... Hes playing against grown men. Hes learning how to practice like a pro, and learning how to do everything like a pro and I just think those options outweigh going to college.

Hampton ranks as the No. 5 overall prospect and No. 2 combination guard in the 247Sports Composite Rankings. Kansas, Memphis and Texas Tech were vying for his signature after he reclassified in April to the 2019 recruiting class, but that's when his camp decided to revisit the opportunity to play professionally, one they had been presented with months earlier.

I kept it on the backburner, Rod Hampton said. I want the public to know this isnt a fly by night move. RJ could get in to Stanford. He has a 1280 on the SAT and a 3.7 GPA. We arent doing this for financial reasons or he has to do this, he could have gone to college.

While Hampton isnt the first to go from high school to a professional league, recent notables Terrance Ferguson and Emmanuel Mudiay had questions regarding their eligibility.

Hes setting a trend, Hampton said. Hes not doing this because its his only alternative.

Hampton said his son was offered more than $1 million from a professional team in China. He said they also received offers from teams in Europe. In the end, Hampton liked the fit with the Breakers.

Its an English speaking country, he said. Youre going from Texas to New Zealand and they have a really good partnership with the NBA. His team plays two games against NBA teams this year."

Hampton didnt disclose the details of the contract, but noted it surpasses what the G League would offer and said theyre working to solidify a shoe deal.

Prior to making his final decision, Hampton called Ferguson for advice. The current Oklahoma City Thunder wing played in the same league but for a different team, the Adelaide 36ers.

Hes talked to Terrance Ferguson and hes had a conversations with different guys in college that it didnt pan out for them for whatever reason, Rod Hampton said. I just think hes at the level he soaks things up so fast, hes going to grow so much more and I think hell grow more playing in a professional league than college."

Hell definitely be more prepared for NBA life than if he went to college, and dont get me wrong, but this isnt for everybody, he added.

Hampton, a standout at Little Elm (Tex.) High, played in the first Nike EYBL session in April and averaged 28.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists in four games. Known for his skill set, Hampton is a gifted scorer that has the ability to be effective playing on or off the ball.

He knows this isnt going to be a cake walk, Hampton added. When the opportunity is there you have to seize it. Hes thinking anything could happen in college. He could be the No. 10 pick or the No. 1 pick and he can go over there and be the No. 10 pick or the No. 1 pick, but I think just learning the rigors of a professional athlete day in and day out minus the classwork and everything that comes with college is what he wants to do.

I really stand by the idea this is a greater opportunity than going to college. He'll get to make some money for sure, but also practice like a pro, break down film like a pro, and play a couple exhibition games against real NBA teams in preseason.

TheDish87
05-30-2019, 04:43 PM
https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/RJ-Hampton-pro-deal-New-Zealand-Breakers-132369179/

I really stand by the idea this is a greater opportunity than going to college. He'll get to make some money for sure, but also practice like a pro, break down film like a pro, and play a couple exhibition games against real NBA teams in preseason.

its australlia, its hardly a real pro league

WaDe03
05-30-2019, 04:46 PM

No you didnt, no one on this forum has ever played basketball ever

IKnowHoops
05-30-2019, 05:27 PM
The issue with the g-league plans I had heard was that kids would be in the g-league for one team then re-enter the draft, and that just means that those NBA teams will have no motivation to have their g-league teams develop or showcase the player for the rest of the NBA.

They need to really try and separate the two. The G league needs to be run like a real league trying to make money. Keep it completely separate from nba/farmleague

beasted86
05-30-2019, 05:53 PM
its australlia, its hardly a real pro league

Why not?

Scoots
05-30-2019, 07:26 PM
They need to really try and separate the two. The G league needs to be run like a real league trying to make money. Keep it completely separate from nba/farmleague

That's what it was when it was the CBA, but now almost all the NBA teams own GL franchises and NBA cap rules have been changing to feature GL options. It's going to get closer not split apart.

ewing
05-30-2019, 09:00 PM

I played a little Co-Ed church league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmellofan15
05-30-2019, 09:41 PM

I'd assume most the posters here played high school ball. Of course none of us will be inducted into the HOF like you, sweetheart <3

WaDe03
05-31-2019, 09:32 AM
I'd assume most the posters here played high school ball. Of course none of us will be inducted into the HOF like you, sweetheart <3

My jersey is already retired at my high school and Im in the hall of fame there so good call.

Ill need to check with the posters of PSD to know if thats really true or not though.

joemon
06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Green possesses the greatest raw athleticism in high school basketball. Hes a rocket with the ball in his hands, flying down court with unmatched speed and launching himself in the air off one foot before defenders know what hit them. His elite explosiveness comes paired with a hyper-aggressive mindset that could make him an alpha dog scorer down the line.https://discord.software/ (https://discord.software/) fetLife (https://fetlife.vip/) itunes (https://downloader.vip/itunes/)