PDA

View Full Version : Kemba eligible for 5 year $221 million contract

Ty Fast
05-23-2019, 04:30 PM
Do they keep him or let him walk? That is a lot of money for a guy who cant get his team to the playoffs in the East.

Alayla
05-23-2019, 04:39 PM
Do they keep him or let him walk? That is a lot of money for a guy who cant get his team to the playoffs in the East.

That's not in any way his fault he has nothing to work with.
The better question is should any team be willing to give that kind of money to a 6'1 guard who is 29 already.
That being said of course he will get it from them but if he takes it or walks to another team is another issue entirely.

ewing
05-23-2019, 04:41 PM
He's going to be a Knick

PAOboston
05-23-2019, 04:54 PM
I love Kemba. Plays for one of the most poorly run teams in the league. Part of me thinks he should just leave. The other part says ďdonít be stupid. Take the deal if they offer it.Ē Thatís a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmellofan15
05-23-2019, 05:02 PM
No way in hell they should offer him the deal. You couldn't construct a playoff roster around him before he made 40 mill a year, why try now??

Saddletramp
05-23-2019, 06:15 PM
No way in hell they should offer him the deal. You couldn't construct a playoff roster around him before he made 40 mill a year, why try now??

Bingo. I doubt heís selling tickets like Lebron or KD to justify it.

beasted86
05-23-2019, 06:46 PM
The Hornets are the most horribly mismanaged team in the NBA. They somehow convinced Walker to sign a contract worth way less than he was worth, but squandered it by overpaying bums like Batum, Marvin Williams, MKG, Zeller, etc.

I hope they pay him just for the laughs.

WaDe03
05-23-2019, 07:44 PM
I really like Kemba and heís a big game player. I hope he joins/helps build a contender this summer.

Cracka2HI!
05-23-2019, 10:40 PM
I thought he would leave but with his I don't think so if Charlotte offers that contract. I actually don't think they should. That is such a huge contract and as good is Kemba is I don't think he's worth that at his age. Especially to Charlotte. They should tank and get the worst record only to wind up with the 5th pick.

More-Than-Most
05-23-2019, 11:17 PM
there is 0 chance he leaves... he isnt turning that down... i would let him walk instead of giving him that much though... its just not worth

TrueFan420
05-23-2019, 11:25 PM
They need to rebuild badly but thereís zero chance I see Jordan letting that happen. Heís going to try to compete but heís gonna only hurt his team in the long run. Theyíll never be more than 7-10 in the east as constructed.

sharqstealth
05-24-2019, 12:03 AM
They need to rebuild badly but thereís zero chance I see Jordan letting that happen. Heís going to try to compete but heís gonna only hurt his team in the long run. Theyíll never be more than 7-10 in the east as constructed.

It's a bad day for MJ. He is left with a dilemma of overpaying for a guy who can't even get them to the playoffs, and if the Hornets max him out, how much money would they have left to build around Kemba?

TrueFan420
05-24-2019, 12:21 AM
It's a bad day for MJ. He is left with a dilemma of overpaying for a guy who can't even get them to the playoffs, and if the Hornets max him out, how much money would they have left to build around Kemba?

He needs to be brave and let him walk. Same with Lamb who I like too. Next year will be bad and theyíll get a top pick. The following year theyíll have two big contracts Batum 27 mil and Zeller 15 expiring. Then their rookie deals. Get another top pick. Offer 1 year deals to FA for more cash upfront to keep flexibility and hope they get a top pick when a top prospect comes out.

lakerfan85
05-24-2019, 08:09 AM
These contracts are ****ing out of control.. Kemba Walker isnít worth that much money..

IndyRealist
05-24-2019, 08:17 AM
You 100% sign Kemba and sign him to the max. Then you trade him. Charlotte has no assets, no stockpile of picks, no rebuild plan. If they let Kemba walk without getting anything in return that's 5 years of lotteries in their future. Kemba is not Rudy Gay olr Melo, who immediately became untradeable as soon as they signed their contract. Kemba is worth that money to Dallas, LA, Brooklyn, New York, etc.

warfelg
05-24-2019, 08:19 AM
Kemba gonna get paiiiiiid.

He definitely has CP3 and LeBron to thank as they are the ones to alter the rules to get themselves paid. In the end, someone is going to pay Kemba A LOT and regret it in year 3 of the contract.

warfelg
05-24-2019, 08:20 AM
You 100% sign Kemba and sign him to the max. Then you trade him. Charlotte has no assets, no stockpile of picks, no rebuild plan. If they let Kemba walk without getting anything in return that's 5 years of lotteries in their future. Kemba is not Rudy Gay olr Melo, who immediately became untradeable as soon as they signed their contract. Kemba is worth that money to Dallas, LA, Brooklyn, New York, etc.

But if you are Kemba, why risk them trading you somewhere you don't want to be? Just go where you want to in the first place.

Burkey3472
05-24-2019, 08:32 AM
Hornets are in no man's land. They should let him walk and tank for a couple of years but they will probably pay him.

IndyRealist
05-24-2019, 08:42 AM
But if you are Kemba, why risk them trading you somewhere you don't want to be? Just go where you want to in the first place.

$$$

LaVar Ball
05-24-2019, 10:27 AM
MJ won't pay that for Kemba

He going to the Knicks

Knicks R Back baby!!!!

Mr.B
05-24-2019, 01:45 PM

The Mavs wouldnít trade for him with that contract. The only asset the Mavs have that could get close to matching that contract that they could send back is a resigned Porzingis. That would defeat the purpose of obtaining him in the first place.

I donít believe Charlotte will offer him a super max though. That would cripple their franchise even more than it already is. He will have to sign a max contract with another team. The Mavs are rumored to be willing to be one of the teams to make him that offer but I really think heís going to join a contending team. If Kyrie leaves Boston I could see Kemba going there. I could also see him joining Kawhi with the Clippers. I definitely do not see him going to the Knicks. Heís trying to get out of one train wreck of a franchise, I seriously doubt he would leave to join another one.

warfelg
05-24-2019, 02:19 PM
The Mavs wouldnít trade for him with that contract. The only asset the Mavs have that could get close to matching that contract that they could send back is a resigned Porzingis. That would defeat the purpose of obtaining him in the first place.

I donít believe Charlotte will offer him a super max though. That would cripple their franchise even more than it already is. He will have to sign a max contract with another team. The Mavs are rumored to be willing to be one of the teams to make him that offer but I really think heís going to join a contending team. If Kyrie leaves Boston I could see Kemba going there. I could also see him joining Kawhi with the Clippers. I definitely do not see him going to the Knicks. Heís trying to get out of one train wreck of a franchise, I seriously doubt he would leave to join another one.

On top of that Kemba takes the ball out of Lukas hands. And you donít want that.

ewing
05-24-2019, 02:28 PM
MJ won't pay that for Kemba

He going to the Knicks

Knicks R Back baby!!!!

This guy gets it

WaDe03
05-24-2019, 02:30 PM
On top of that Kemba takes the ball out of Lukas hands. And you donít want that.

Theyíre both great players so it doesnít matter. They both can shoot the **** out of it too. That only matters when you have players like rondo and Simmons who canít shoot.

Hawkeye15
05-24-2019, 02:32 PM
The Hornets are the most horribly mismanaged team in the NBA.

I almost take offense to this as a Wolves fan

Hawkeye15
05-24-2019, 02:35 PM

if you had assurance you could trade him maybe. But he isn't an overly great shooter, he is short, nearing 30, and that back end of that deal does nothing but hurt. He also isn't good enough to win a bunch of games by himself, so he keeps a bad/average team in purgatory.

That being said, I shake my head at the deals given out all the time, so of course he will get the max.

IndyRealist
05-24-2019, 02:38 PM

Mavs are something like $50M under the cap before signing KP. If Charlotte resigns him and trades him next summer, everybody wins.

Mr.B
05-24-2019, 04:14 PM

Kemba actually plays pretty well without the ball. Thatís why the Mavs are showing interest in him. Ideally though I would prefer they add a scoring wing PG that is a solid defender (like Pat Beverly).

Mr.B
05-24-2019, 04:18 PM
Mavs are something like $50M under the cap before signing KP. If Charlotte resigns him and trades him next summer, everybody wins.

I still think the Mavs would have to give up too much by trading for a super max contract.

warfelg
05-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Kemba actually plays pretty well without the ball. Thatís why the Mavs are showing interest in him. Ideally though I would prefer they add a scoring wing PG that is a solid defender (like Pat Beverly).

Honestly....youíre the team Iím most worried about with Jimmy.

Edit: Kemba plays well without the ball like Luka, but plays best with it.

Cracka2HI!
05-24-2019, 08:36 PM

I completely disagree. The second Kemba is making $50 million in year 5 of his deal at 34 he becomes the second most untradable player in the league behind Wall. Maybe 3rd behind CP3.

beasted86
05-24-2019, 09:29 PM
I almost take offense to this as a Wolves fan

They are your close rival, but I just think back to the Sean May, Adam Morrison, Raymond Felton, Okafor.... Just draft after draft after draft of top 10 picks all busts or getting basic role players.

Perpetually horrible decisions and always getting geeked up over bums. They couldn't wait to trade for Biyombo. They probably jumped on the tables and gave each other high fives picking Cody Zeller 4th overall then proceeded to pay him like $15M a season later.

Every GM with a brain understood Frank Kaminsky was destined to be a bench role player at best. Only those idiots were drooling over him. Like it was literally no secret at least a full day before that draft that they were soooo impressed with a guy who will not get one offer sheet this summer. They will probably give him a $10 x 3 deal.

If I was a GM, I'd much rather inherit the Wolves mess over the Hornets mess.

Mr.B
05-25-2019, 01:37 AM
Honestly....youíre the team Iím most worried about with Jimmy.

Edit: Kemba plays well without the ball like Luka, but plays best with it.

Jimmy Butler? I have mixed feelings with him. Just based on his actual game I think he fits. He can score and he plays pretty hard nosed defense which the Mavs really need. Heís also a wing which the Mavs really need. The problem is he comes across as a malcontent. I honestly do not know much about him personally, thatís just the sense I get about him from all the reports that have come out the last couple of season. Is he really just an a-hole that likes to bully his teammates? Or is he just a high strung guy that demands 100% effort from his teammates at all times, especially in practice? If itís the latter than I think he will actually fit in great (especially with Carlisle). If heís always just an a-hole then I would not want him around Luka or KP.

As for Kemba, yea you are right that both He and Luka can play without the ball but both are better with the ball. I really think the Mavs envision Kemba playing a Jason Terry type role with the Mavs. Instant offense anytime heís on the court with Luka. He will be counted on to be a primary scoring option. When Luka goes to the bench Kemba runs the offense. With Kemba on the team it would become much harder for teams to key in on stopping Luka because the Kemba could go off. He can create his own shot and is a good distributor. Then when defenses key in on Kemba itís Lukaís turn to go off. Teams wonít be able to double team both of them with KP wrecking havoc in the mid-range area.

Itís going to be real interesting to see what the Mavs do.

ewing
05-25-2019, 05:52 PM
Jimmy Butler? I have mixed feelings with him. Just based on his actual game I think he fits. He can score and he plays pretty hard nosed defense which the Mavs really need. Heís also a wing which the Mavs really need. The problem is he comes across as a malcontent. I honestly do not know much about him personally, thatís just the sense I get about him from all the reports that have come out the last couple of season. Is he really just an a-hole that likes to bully his teammates? Or is he just a high strung guy that demands 100% effort from his teammates at all times, especially in practice? If itís the latter than I think he will actually fit in great (especially with Carlisle). If heís always just an a-hole then I would not want him around Luka or KP.

As for Kemba, yea you are right that both He and Luka can play without the ball but both are better with the ball. I really think the Mavs envision Kemba playing a Jason Terry type role with the Mavs. Instant offense anytime heís on the court with Luka. He will be counted on to be a primary scoring option. When Luka goes to the bench Kemba runs the offense. With Kemba on the team it would become much harder for teams to key in on stopping Luka because the Kemba could go off. He can create his own shot and is a good distributor. Then when defenses key in on Kemba itís Lukaís turn to go off. Teams wonít be able to double team both of them with KP wrecking havoc in the mid-range area.

Itís going to be real interesting to see what the Mavs do.

I think Kemba is a better fit but Jimmy is a better player. Kemba might like the ball but he is also more of a transition player and make quick decisions with it. Jimmy is a hard nose defender but he doesnít have the same range, he doesnít push the ball, and hold and surveys with the rock. I definitely think Kemba is a better fit but Jimmy can just ball and sometimes talent trumps fit. Hard call

mike_noodles
05-25-2019, 11:29 PM
Kemba's a great player, but you're handcuffing your team by paying him that much money.

Redrum187
05-26-2019, 03:30 AM
The Mavericks need to buy Kawhi's uncle a mansion... If that fails, I'd rather they target Butler. Kemba is 29 and takes away from Luka's development while I think Butler can complement Luka.

Scoots
05-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Kemba's a great player, but you're handcuffing your team by paying him that much money.

The reality is that that is true for every player in a similar situation.

mike_noodles
05-26-2019, 11:12 AM
The reality is that that is true for every player in a similar situation.

It is. At least now with the way salaries are, I feel there is room for great players to be near max, without being max.

Scoots
05-26-2019, 04:04 PM
It is. At least now with the way salaries are, I feel there is room for great players to be near max, without being max.

The requirements to qualify for the supermax means it will be their 3rd or 4th contract and almost certainly include the time when they are on the decline when they are at their most expensive.

mike_noodles
05-26-2019, 04:12 PM
The requirements to qualify for the supermax means it will be their 3rd or 4th contract and almost certainly include the time when they are on the decline when they are at their most expensive.

I understand that, but even the regular max leaves room for the greats to get great salaries and not be at max. I feel like 10 years ago there was a ton of max contracts because the value of a max deal was so low. Now there's a little more space for separation.

ciaban2.0
05-26-2019, 07:11 PM
What about a sign and trade?

smith&wesson
05-26-2019, 07:13 PM
Knicks bound imo

crewfan13
05-28-2019, 12:30 PM
I think Kemba is a better fit but Jimmy is a better player. Kemba might like the ball but he is also more of a transition player and make quick decisions with it. Jimmy is a hard nose defender but he doesnít have the same range, he doesnít push the ball, and hold and surveys with the rock. I definitely think Kemba is a better fit but Jimmy can just ball and sometimes talent trumps fit. Hard call

Kemba definitely likes the ball, but to his defense, he's never really been in a situation where he doesnt need to be on the ball either.

Had this conversation on the bucks forum before the bucks resigned Bledsoe. It was would you rather have bled for cheaper or kemba. And one arguement people had for bled was that he was more efficient this year and didn't need the ball. But the counterpoint was that kemba has never played in a role similar to Bledsoe where he played with a giannis and a middleton. So it's hard to say that kemba wouldn't become a little more efficient if you took a little bit off of his plate.

ewing
05-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Kemba definitely likes the ball, but to his defense, he's never really been in a situation where he doesnt need to be on the ball either.

Had this conversation on the bucks forum before the bucks resigned Bledsoe. It was would you rather have bled for cheaper or kemba. And one arguement people had for bled was that he was more efficient this year and didn't need the ball. But the counterpoint was that kemba has never played in a role similar to Bledsoe where he played with a giannis and a middleton. So it's hard to say that kemba wouldn't become a little more efficient if you took a little bit off of his plate.

I agree. He will be an interesting guy to watch next year if he goes to a new spot. I liked to see Kemba with a little less pressure and in some other roles

Rivera
05-29-2019, 02:19 PM
I remember a guy who used to say #Kembaswag when he was killing it in the torunament in UCONN. That guy got laughed at, that guy was told he was too short to be anything good, and his ceiling was a 6th man. That guy used to try and fend off the naysayers, providing stories and stats on how Kemba got better every year in college and how his work ethic would make him a starter and a 3rd option on a championship contender.

Man that guy (me) back then was right. I should bring back the #Kembaswag

c.c.
06-06-2019, 06:04 PM
Kemba isnít worth that max, he canít lead his team to the playoffs multiple years in the East.

GiantsSwaGG
06-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Kemba isnít worth that max, he canít lead his team to the playoffs multiple years in the East.

His team sucks lol. LBJ couldnít lead the lakers to the playoffs

c.c.
06-06-2019, 09:11 PM
His team sucks lol. LBJ couldnít lead the lakers to the playoffs

Last time I checked, the Lakers were in the West.

Chronz
06-06-2019, 11:20 PM

+ injured and there was some extra curricular activity going on with the mentality of the team

ewing
06-07-2019, 08:20 AM

the East was better this year

c.c.
06-07-2019, 09:03 AM
the East was better this year

1. GS 1.Mil
2. Den 2. Tor
3. Por 3. Phi
4. Hou 4. Bos
5. Utah 5. Ind
6. Okc 6. BK
7. SA 7. Orl
8. LAC 8. Det

No freaking way dude, youíre trolling! If Kemba was a max player, he could of easily replaced one of those 5-8 teams out east.

mightybosstone
06-07-2019, 11:29 AM
If you max Kemba and you already have another top 20 guy on your roster, you're probably in pretty good shape. If you max Kemba and can GET another top 20 guy on your roster, you should be OK. If you max Kemba, and he's your best guy, you don't have any other obvious All-Star caliber guys on your roster and aren't likely going to add one any time soon, you've made a huge mistakeówelcome to mediocrity.

I like Kemba and think he could be a great piece on a title contender. But he's probably got to be your No. 2 guy, or he's got to play on a team that's EXTREMELY well-balanced like the 2000s Pistons, Spurs from earlier in the decade, Celtics of the last few years, etc.

GiantsSwaGG
06-07-2019, 11:34 AM

But heís the greatest though

c.c.
06-07-2019, 01:29 PM
But heís the greatest though

Depending on who you ask

NBA_Starter
06-09-2019, 12:28 PM
They have to let him go because they can't afford a competitive team around him at that price and rebuild but MJ is too stupid as evidenced by cutting the first rebuild attempt short by making a treadmill move in signing Al Jefferson!

Pistol_Pete
06-10-2019, 02:46 PM
If this is the amount of money he's up for, he's 100% going to the Knicks. I can see the Knicks strike out on everyone else, panic, and sign Kemba to a near max and overpay someone else, and be stuck in another 10 years of losing to just okay standings.

I wish I were joking but this would be just about the most Knicks thing the Knicks could do.

Wes Mantooth
06-11-2019, 01:21 PM
Kemba is worth the max, but not the Supermax. This is going to end up being a John Wall / Chris Paul type contract that cripples the team and the fanbase regrets. Only the NBA elite should accept the Supermax. Kawhi, Curry types. 3rd team all-NBA type players accepting the Supermax just puts the organization in a bad salary cap position. If you're getting 35% of the cap you better be dominating. Otherwise you may have just chosen money over winning and your own fans are going to turn on you.